My 240l Planted Tank, Again.

Author Topic: My 240l planted tank, again.  (Read 20643 times) 112 replies

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
My 240l planted tank, again.
« on: September 17, 2017, 08:34:09 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Here's a photo of my tank, with it's new lights.

In case you're curious what it used to look like before I got distracted by my 2 legged 'pets', here's a link to my original post in the gallery:
https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/gallery-showcase/my-240l-planted-tank/

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
Re: My 240l planted tank, again.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 10:26:56 PM »
Nice, like it.  :)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 11:02:00 PM »
Here's a photo of one of my kuhli loaches. I don't think I've ever managed to photograph them before. Sorry, it's still not a great photo!

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 06:45:33 AM »
Are your khulis still chasing down the bugs disturbed in your substrate changing activities? Must be fascinating to watch  :fishy1:

I've always been afraid of not seeing khuli loaches because of their nocturnal nature - they are such interesting fish though.  Do you see much of yours during the day? What do you feed them?

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 08:24:44 AM »
In that photo the kuhli is on the undisturbed substrate. They're a bit too well camouflaged on the 'new' dark, speckled substrate. But I stayed up a bit late last night watching them, they're so interesting  :o Both kuhlis went on 'hunting' expeditions on the the lowered gravel, slinking around the valis. Although I didn't see anything as distinctly hunting as the day before, they were definitely still clearly finding things to eat.

I've seen a lot more of my kuhlis recently than I used to. I think it's because my crypts pretty much completely covered the substrate, so they can be seen from the front of  the tank but still not be exposed from the surface. I will definitely be doing something along these lines with the refreshed tank.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 10:33:32 AM »
The more kuhlis there are the more they come out. In order to see them, you need lots of them  :)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 02:07:19 PM »
More kuhlis are definitely on my shopping list. But I figured that they (and other bottom dwellers) would be most distressed by my messing with the substrate. So I am resisting the temptation to buy more until I've got the aquascaping right.

Also kuhlis are the only fish I've had from the very beginning, so it's not impossible that these two are nearly 8 years old!  :isay:

(It hasn't always just been the two of them, but I had a case of white spot, which they must have survived)

I think the prevalence of crypts has had the most notable effect of their 'courage'. Unless it's just old age that makes them care less about being out and about!  ???

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 02:23:16 PM »
It's always difficult to know what to do for the best with aged fish, the last few of a shoal. If you don't want more, just keep them as they are till they pass away from old age.

But if Matt or anyone else is thinking of getting any, get at least 6, preferably a lot more.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 02:40:15 PM »
What do you think an ideal number would be for my 4 ft tank? It will be heavily planted, with quite a bit of bogwood and a stone 'cave' / arch. I am contemplating one other type of bottom dwellers, (maybe kribs?) so they shouldn't have much competition in the bottom of the tank.

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 02:54:18 PM »
In a tank that size, I would look at having 10 to 15 kuhlis.

I've seen photos by people who have 10+ with the kuhlis draped over pieces of decor at the most peculiar angles. The owners reckon they only do this when there are enough of them to feel comfortable to be seen out. One owner I've read had 15 in a 2 foot tank  :)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 10:28:50 PM »
I have a soft spot for kuhlis, so love the idea of getting another dozen.  ;D  I've never seen that many in my lfs at one time, so I guess I'd have to order them? Is that generally an easy thing to do - it's a Maidenhead aquatics branch?

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 11:20:24 PM »
MA should be able to order in anything on their central list of fish.  I would imagine they would have no problem getting hold of khulis.  If your anywhere near Chorley.... Aquahome had some in today.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 08:37:46 AM »
Both my local MAs always have khulis in stock, so it shouldn;t be a problem for your's to get hold of some.  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 08:39:38 AM »
I was once told they can get anything on their list as Matt said. But they can't get anything not on their list, and the fish I wanted wasn't.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 11:38:21 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Realised that I've not put a photo of the refurbished tank in here. So here it is.

The five band barbs are settling in slowly. They may be the same colour scheme as the rasboras, but they behave very differently. I'm really pleased that I got them, they are a lovely addition to the tank.

I will post photos when they're a bit more settled. The only time they've really come out was when I fed them this evening. And it wasn't until I took two steps back that they all shot out of their hiding places. Now I know to have my camera ready next time. 😀

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 07:13:02 AM »
Nice!  8)

I find fish behaviour so much more interesting that their looks so I totally get what you mean about the barbs vs harlies.   :)  That said, ive never kept barbs... how would you say their behavious compares to the harlies?

Harlies for me are strong directional shoalers (though every now and then one of them seems to forget this is the case), they do their 'sharking' when displaying to each other and I find their feeding fascinating they seem to spy the food from 10-15cm below the surface then make quick darts to the top to grab the food then back down again to munch it down.  I assume because there are birds which would eat then in their natural environment. They don't tend to interact with the decor much but rather prefer to be out patrolling back and forth across the front of the tank.

PS. Reading up a bit about the discussion on MA's fish list they should be able to order anything off, i assume the same applies for the plant list I posted recently...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 12:07:56 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Great tank  :cheers:

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 05:30:45 PM »
The barbs aren't completely settled in yet, so it'll be interesting to see if/ how their behaviour changes as they get more comfortable in their new environment. Most of them are still doing what I think of as the 'new fish dash'. Which is swimming up and down in the area of strongest current (the back wall of the tank). When they're not doing this they seem to swim in a slightly more nose down position. And they seem to have a stop start swim pattern. Whereas the rasboras are definitely horizontal and more 'pootley', just keeping up with the current, but not then moving quite as quickly. These two swim positions make sense when reading up on their natural feeding habits. Rasboras are surface feeders, whereas the  five band barbs are substrate feeders. Again this was really obvious when I fed them. On Monday I fed a generous portion of flake, assuming that the barbs would have some. I'd read that barbs don't do well if fed only dried food, but I didn't realise that they wouldn't even recognise flakes on the surface as food! Having overfed the rasboras, I think didn't want to try a different food (which I know the rasboras would have gobbled as well). So by the time I fed again on Tuesday evening, the barbs seemed pretty hungry. This time I fed some gel daphnia. I tried to squidge it out of the packet in little bits and spread it around. The barbs waited till I was out of the way and then dashed out. They went completely head down and then moved around picking at the food on the substrate, or plants. The rasboras again kept as horizontal position as possible while picking food up. If one of the barbs broke up a bit of gel so there were loads of bits in the water, it was the rasboras that would go for the bits. The barbs seemed happier vertical, picking off the substrate.

Because they have different swim positions, it isn't as noticeable that they actually have pretty similar body shapes.

The kuhlis are out more and more as well (well one of them is). I've seen them just chilling under the crypts or draped over the  base of the bolbitus. I'm looking forward to getting more and they will be my next fish purchase. I asked when I bought the barbs if they had any kuhlis and the lady that served me offered to order some. So when I'm ready for my next fish, I'll give my local MA a call and order some kuhlis.

I've realised that although all my fish choices should be compatible, they all have different behaviours. I won't get anything else done once I'm fully stocked from watching fish!

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2018, 06:54:50 PM »
I have some substrate feeders, and other fish that feed from both the water column and the substrate. I have small sinking pellets. I soak them in water then suck them into a pipette and squirt the soggy pellets hard into the tank. Being soggy they sink faster and the hard squirt gets them to the bottom before the Espe's rasboras can get them all. I also add flake at the same time to distract the rasboras.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2018, 07:59:29 PM »

I've realised that although all my fish choices should be compatible, they all have different behaviours. I won't get anything else done once I'm fully stocked from watching fish!

;D   :cheers:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "My 240l planted tank, again."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post December 08, 2012, 06:36:36 PM
by Murf
14 Replies
Last post January 15, 2013, 01:03:45 PM
by Helen
116 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 04:15:42 PM
by TigzFish
3 Replies
Last post March 15, 2015, 09:52:48 PM
by Helen
9 Replies
Last post September 09, 2018, 03:13:19 PM
by Gbetts
7 Replies
Last post December 05, 2018, 11:12:01 PM
by daveyng
15 Replies
Last post August 07, 2020, 08:08:48 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: