My 240l Planted Tank, Again.

Author Topic: My 240l planted tank, again.  (Read 20855 times) 112 replies

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: My 240l planted tank, again.
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2018, 08:35:28 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
A couple videos of my tank. The first long one is just a general "watching the fish", nothing particularly exciting happening.

https://youtu.be/zqKL6bf8mrQ

The next one is a terrible quality video, but it is of one of my Kuhlis sifting the sand (most likely reason the sand never stays where I put it!) If you are sufficiently sharp eyed, you can see where he looks like he has wings either side of his head. That is the sand being ejected out through the gill flaps. Seeing it makes me so pleased that I put sand into my tank, even if I struggle to maintain it.

https://youtu.be/xvi_LDoSCpM

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2018, 08:46:52 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Loved the first one - your tank looks so professional and relaxing to watch... I might just show it to my fish to show them how they ought to behave. Hmmm - I do wonder if the extra swimming space calms them down... (good excuse for a tank upgrade for me ;)).

Second one is also interesting, partly because I've never kept loaches. It looks as though he's kicking up sand at the very end to mark his territory.  :D

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2018, 09:16:07 PM »
I don't think the kuhlis are territorial. They have certainly never reacted to anyone in their personal space. I have seen a 'pile' of bn plec, kuhli and rasboras all trying to get to the same wafer. What usually happens is the Bertie eventually runs out of patience and flicks his tail, which has everone else running swimming for cover. But seeing as I put the wafer in the tank for him anyway, it just provides entertainment.

I think the flick of sand at the end is because he moves so quick, his tail kicks up a cloud of sand.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2018, 09:32:16 PM »
Kuhilis are great. Such lovely faces and adorable antics.  :)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2018, 09:46:39 PM »
I absolutely love my kuhlis. I really want to get more but my usual lfs hasn't had them in all year (and wasn't expecting to when I last asked)  I know that they have a reputation for being nocturnal, but my two come out a lot. Especially since the planting in my tank has increased. So I suspect that they just don't like bright light. When out and about mine are either under crypts (which to be fair cover nearly 50% of my tank) or under the bolbitus / small lotus that provide shade over most of the sand. They also seem completely un concerned that there are only 2 of them.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2018, 07:59:44 PM »
@fcmf  my tank isn't as calm today. I think that one of the fivebands might be gravid. There is a lot of chasing going on - mostly males chasing females (i can't tell if it's the same female)

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2018, 06:44:21 AM »
Im playing forum catchup!  Just seen your videos... the first one is great. You should set it to relaxing music! I too feel like I could sit and what that tank with a brew for a totally unacceptable amount of time lol.

You have inspired me to give filming my tank another go... watch this space  :cheers:

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2018, 09:54:01 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 3
I realised that I'd spent 2 hours just sat infront of the tank watching the fish! Not terribly productive.  ::)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2018, 11:05:41 AM »
Though very relaxing, so good for your health.  :)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #89 on: November 26, 2018, 10:31:24 PM »
So, inspired by the exploits of @Littlefish and @Matt, I bought some extra bits of wood for my tank. They ahve spent a week soaking and I've spent the last two evenings meddling with my aquascaping. I'm not entirely sure you can see many changes to the aquascape and I hope that changes when the bolbitus and java fern grow a bit more.

If I've attached them successfully the 3 photos are:
Before
After usual pruning
After rearranging

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #90 on: November 26, 2018, 10:50:28 PM »
Im assuming that's a rotala in the back middle - what a trim that had (and needed!!).  The tank looks fab, well done :)  I can see your mods to the RHS too :) looking good  8) I hope your crew leave the sand well alone for you this time round!!

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #91 on: November 26, 2018, 11:04:24 PM »
The middle of the tank also got a bit of a revamp too, though unfortunately that's not as easy to see because the crypts in front are a bit too tall and the same colour!

A large u-shaped bit of wood went in (I bought it to be an arch but found it was more stable as an U) with another new wood arch (again bought to be the otber way up!  ::))
 I have attached bolbitus and java fern to both these pieces of wood so hopefully when they grow in, the middle of the tank will have more variation than just crypts and rotala. I also moved the bit of wood that previously had all the java fern on from the back where it was hidden because it's not grown quite as tall as I'd hoped, to between the new wood and the crypts. Hopefully this brings some green in amongst the dark olive / brown crypts.

I've not done a particularly good job of spreading out the sand as I'm fairly confident the kuhlis will have rearranged it by tomorrow anyway!

And annoyingly, I forgot to scrub the from of the glass!

The rotala grows well in my tank. Stopping it from blocking the water flow can be quite challenging. So this time instead of just shortening the stems, I thinned it as well, taking out the extra long stems all together.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #92 on: November 26, 2018, 11:21:30 PM »
Ahh yes I can see now, such lush plants you have there hiding things :)

The contrast in leaf colour and texture will look great, especially when the jave ferns grows a bit taller  :cheers:

At risk of sounding like a crypt killer(!) it might be worth removing the crypt on the LHS of the sand patch to bring out the wood a bit more... what do you think?

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2018, 11:38:47 PM »
I did think about taking that crypt out. A few reasons I didn't.

Mainly because it is huge and I'm pretty sure the root system is huge (based on its babies that I took out from the front of the tank) and taking it out would actually be pretty disruptive to the substrate!

Also, it got quite late last night and I was losing the plot taking out so many plants, that I thought I should pause in my destruction!

And then I noticed that it actually lines up quite nicely with the side of the arch, so I've planted another couple, hopefully much smaller and actually green, crypts behind it in an attempt to create a kind of tunnel leading to the arch.

But, yes, if that doesn't work, it'll have to come out!

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2018, 11:40:26 PM »
You sure you're not just after such a fine specimen for your own tank?  :raspberries :o

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #95 on: November 27, 2018, 06:53:06 AM »
 :rotfl:

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #96 on: November 27, 2018, 10:40:23 PM »
It is interesting to see the pH slowly dropping. I wonder how far it'll go before it completely stabilises. It's dropped about 0.2 over the last couple days.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #97 on: November 28, 2018, 10:14:00 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 2
Another video of my fish. Be warned, it is actually 5 minutes long and nothing particularly spectacular happens, it's just my fish doing their thing after feeding. But there is an appearance from every species in the tank, including one of the kuhlis.

https://youtu.be/8_V8ieFg6hw

Offline TopCookie

• aka: Pierre
« Reply #98 on: November 28, 2018, 11:03:05 PM »
Looking really good there H...  Especially the cool as you like Kuhli and handsome BN Pleco...!!!  All of 'em in fact...!!!  Cant take my eyes off the Raspberries either...   :D

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #99 on: November 28, 2018, 11:05:02 PM »
Wow - the photos and that video are fantastic. What a wonderful and enviable habitat you have for your lovely fish - no wonder they look so content pootling around as they go about their business in their own underwater world.

:fishy1:.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "My 240l planted tank, again."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post December 08, 2012, 06:36:36 PM
by Murf
14 Replies
Last post January 15, 2013, 01:03:45 PM
by Helen
116 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 04:15:42 PM
by TigzFish
3 Replies
Last post March 15, 2015, 09:52:48 PM
by Helen
9 Replies
Last post September 09, 2018, 03:13:19 PM
by Gbetts
7 Replies
Last post December 05, 2018, 11:12:01 PM
by daveyng
15 Replies
Last post August 07, 2020, 08:08:48 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: