My 240l Planted Tank, Again.

Author Topic: My 240l planted tank, again.  (Read 20631 times) 112 replies

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: My 240l planted tank, again.
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2018, 10:09:07 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
By the way, they are much easier to see in real life. Because of their movement but also their bands have a beautiful iridescence.  And the males are almost orange.

There is one (?!) female that keeps flicking against leaves (not hard surfaces, so I'm comfortable it's not parasites), but although some of the males seem interested, she doesn't seem to have persuaded any of them to actually spawn with her. Or maybe I've just missed it!

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2018, 07:26:23 PM »
They are beautiful fish @Helen

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2018, 08:45:14 PM »
Thank you @Matt . I'm feeling really pleased with my combination of fish right now. Together they fill the tank nicely because they inhabit different areas. I'm quite excited about how it'll look when they're all full size (which is different for each species).  :D

But it is sooooo difficult to stop tinkering! The problem with slow growing plants is that... they grow slowly! So it is and will continue to take some time for the tank to fill up as I want it. I have several ideas for filling in some spots, another tall java fern narrow behind the large bogwood, for example. Possibly attached to a coconut cave. And I think I might tweak the arrangement of rocks to the right of the lotus. I am wondering whether my tank could accommodate another lotus, but I'm guessing that as soon as I give in, they'll both grow like mad and I'll have to take one out!

It is a good thing that I don't have enough time to implement my ideas. If I did, I suspect I'd catch MTS! I just have to live it through everyone else on here.  :cheers:

(This week I'm organising a party for my daughter's 5th birthday at the weekend! The fish are getting a lot of watching to keep me calm!)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2018, 08:47:49 PM »
(This week I'm organising a party for my daughter's 5th birthday at the weekend! The fish are getting a lot of watching to keep me calm!)

:rotfl: Good Luck!!!

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2018, 10:19:27 AM »
I have to say that @Sue 's suggestion of grinding sinking pellets is brilliant. The feeding behaviours of the fish, in particular the fiveband barbs, but also the kuhlis, seems a lot more natural. They 'peck' over the substrate, rather than cluster all in one place competing for the pellets.

Downsides are it is completely impossible to count how many fivebands I have.

And I'm not sure about the quantities that I am feeding. Even if I soak the ground up pellets in tank water before I pour them in, they spread over a decent area (which is good, imho), but most of that area is small gravel, so the food grains don't just sit on top. So I can't tell if I'm over feeding the fish. The usual measures of food being left over after a couple minutes doesn't work because I can't see the food to start with. And because they have to look for their food, the fish take longer to feed, swimming and pecking, rather than just guzzling. Also it is difficult to tell how much of the food I put in gets eaten and how much falls out of reach in between the gravel.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2018, 11:04:39 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Developments on the plant side. Lotus is looking much better for adding the root tab. So I've dotted another couple around the tank to try and encourage some height.

New plants turned up today - nymphoides hydrophylla 'Taiwan' (thanks for the recommendation @TopCookie ). Because it was a tissue culture, I've put that in the tank. Certainly good value. I didn't expect to get quite so much. If it grows as much as the label says (30cm in 30 days) I will be taking rather a lot out in a couple months time!

Also in my little delivery was some TNC carbon, a cryptocorne wenditii green (apologies for my spelling, it's just gone haywire) and a little pot of java moss. I've decided to quarantine the crypt and moss for a bit longer. And I think I'll let the new plants settle before I try the carbon.

I also got out the junior hacksaw for my coconuts.  ;) One of my existing coconut halves got a doorway cut out of it and I sawed in half the 'new' coconut. Hmm, I left that a bit long and the inside was far from edible. It smells a lot like a strong blue cheese - with a hint of coconut!  :sick: It is going to be a good while before that is clean enough to go in my tank.

I'd like to point out that coconut shells are hard. I did wonder whether the £5 for someone else to do the sawing might have been worth it!

The java moss has also been tied to the existing coconut pieces, the caves can soak at the same time as the moss is quarantined. I'm considering leaving the caves in quarantine until the moss has attached itself to the coconut and I can cut off the thread. I didn't find tieing thread round a half coconut very easy. The underside looks a bit like one of those laser rooms you see in films. 😮

Offline TopCookie

• aka: Pierre
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2018, 11:15:10 PM »
Wow, Helen...  this is gorgeous...!!! 

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2018, 11:34:33 PM »
Thank you.

I don't suffer from MTS, but an alternative, CTT (chronic tank tinkering).  :yikes:

It took me nearly 8 years to actually get around to the monumental task of removing more than half the substrate and completely replanting the tank. I also introduced the sand area. Which was a path until the inhabitants had their turn at aquascaping! I did do a thread showing my progress through the substrate removal. I think it is in general fishkeeping chat and called rejuvenating a neglected tank?

The nymphoides has gone on the left hand side with the intention of providing some surface cover there. When I get the ferts right, the Vallis on the right grows up to and along the surface. But I'm not there yet with the new configuration.

The green crypts will go in amongst the other crypts and hopefully break up the brown colour block a bit.

And the rainbowfish are looking better and bluer all the time. It's difficult not to be impatient for them to reach full size.  :o

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2018, 07:02:43 AM »
I like the idea of the mossy coconut caves... I got the chance to try out one of those laser rooms when we did crystal mase in Manchester.... It's was absolutely impossible!

Just a note on vallis and liquid carbon... a lot of people find that vallis doesn't like liquid carbon... I can't recall the science behind it but I know there are mixed reviews with its effect on vallis... I would start with a half dose and see how you go. To be honest, I would never do more than a half dose of liquid carbon anyway seeing as it is actually a product designed to clean medical instruments and kill bacteria... I personally always see upset fish at more than a half dose.

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2018, 07:54:08 AM »
Glad to hear that root tabs are having a positive impact on your plants.
I don't have the patience or dexterity to tie plants (especially moss) to anything.
I hope that your new plants do well  :)

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2018, 09:30:46 AM »
@Matt, I agree regarding liquid carbon/vallis. Half a dose almost destroyed my thriving v. spiralis. When I stopped using it, it eventually recovered.

Skittler

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2018, 03:47:10 PM »
In reality I have too many plants and not enough fish in my tank to have the right amount of CO2. I should use injected gas CO2, but I'm trying to find a lower tech solution. But I have heard lots of bad things about liquid carbon, so having bought I'm hesitating actually adding it. I was going to only add a half dose, but now I'm thinking I might add even less to start with.

I'd rather just buy more fish! But I've set myself quite a specific shopping list and I've got a bit of a stumbling block getting more kuhlis. Because I don't have a quarantine tank at the moment and I've had a bad experience with kuhlis in the past (and white spot), I'm only getting my fish from one shop. So I need to wait for them to get more kuhlis in.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2018, 04:59:48 PM »
On the liquid carbon front, I have a virtually full bottle of TNC Carbon that I will gladly give to anybody that might want it...  Never again shall I put that stuff in my tank after how it nearly fatally anaesthetised all of my Amano shrimp...!!!  Certainly made the plants go on an explosive growing spurt though...!!! 

In a high tech set up, then I guess folks would normally inject their CO2 and likely have several plants that are hard/tricky to grow...  I can't imagine liquid carbon being used in such a set up...  In a low tech or just plain regular tropical tank, which likely has plants from the easy & medium categories, should you need liquid carbon...? 

Finally, in the case of all but a high tech set up, then the question is;  do you actually want your plants growing super fast...?

Seems to fall in a funny no man's land sorta spot, this liquid carbon...  Not good enough for the top tier, yet too good for almost everything else...   :o

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2018, 06:04:20 PM »
My plan wasn't to continuously use the liquid carbon, but a couple of my plants could do with a boost. Interestingly, one of those plants is the Vallis, so I'm wondering how much of a good idea it is.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2018, 10:34:52 PM »
I recall reading somewhere that inconsistent CO2 levels can encourage algae growth Helen...  Can't remember for the life of me where though, but worth investigating... 

This was a secondary factor that put me off the use of liquid carbon - that whole notion of having to dose a measured amount every day... 

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2018, 09:24:32 PM »
So here's a photo of the tank, taken a couple days ago.

Plus, in the following post, a photo (that i think is really exciting) of a new leaf on my lotus that is literally twice as tall as any other and looking like it is still going up. Please excuse the state of the front of the tank, I'm sorting through some algae issues at the moment.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2018, 09:26:30 PM »
Lotus leaf. Still curled. It is a bit challenging to see with the mess on the front of the tank.

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2018, 09:57:59 PM »
Tank generally, fish and lotus leaf all look fantastic - well done!  :cheers:

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2018, 10:09:13 PM »
Thank you. It is in its basic, zero supplements state at the moment. But some of the plants are looking noticeably sad for it. So I am trying to sort myself out to work out what i need to supplement with. I think it is the macro nutrients (definitely nitrate) and carbon. I'm just being a wuss on the carbon, because I have some TNC carbon (liquid). I just need to figure out how much and how often to dose. I've been reading @TopCookie 's thread with interest. And I'm not reliableon my daily routine.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2018, 10:40:35 PM »
Tank's looking great Helen...  plants all looking suitably lush to me lass...  :)

I've had, virtually forced upon me, a bit of a re-think about the liquid carbon and just where it sits in that whole balanced nutrition scheme of things...  My current stand point is that a little bit is definitely better than none if you are adding fertilisers...  I'm just keeping the amount down to around one third of the recommended dose at the moment, and the fertilisers down to around half the recommended dose...  Too soon to be objective on how effective this regime is, but will stick to it for the time being and report back again at some point down the line...  Ideally, I'd love to have a situation where no fertilisers and no carbon are necessary, but that hasn't panned out well in my tank and so just that little bit of nutrition now along with a reduced tank lights period...   

EDIT:  I dose the TNC Carbon daily and one hour before the lights come on...

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "My 240l planted tank, again."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post December 08, 2012, 06:36:36 PM
by Murf
14 Replies
Last post January 15, 2013, 01:03:45 PM
by Helen
116 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 04:15:42 PM
by TigzFish
3 Replies
Last post March 15, 2015, 09:52:48 PM
by Helen
9 Replies
Last post September 09, 2018, 03:13:19 PM
by Gbetts
7 Replies
Last post December 05, 2018, 11:12:01 PM
by daveyng
15 Replies
Last post August 07, 2020, 08:08:48 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: