Multi-Tank Syndrome - Confessions Of An MTS Sufferer By Littlefish

Author Topic: Multi-Tank syndrome - confessions of an MTS sufferer by Littlefish  (Read 33912 times) 144 replies

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
As some of you are aware, although I only found the joys of fish keeping in the autumn of 2015, I very soon realised that there was a whole watery world of wonder available to all, and it was not long before I was looking at other tanks, and very soon caved in to multi-tank syndrome.
I have been doing a lot of moving tanks around over the past few months, which has caused my total tank chaos.
Recently I also realised how much I'd given in to my MTS. I have just counted all of my tanks and I'm not sure how I feel about admitting that I have 18 of them.  :o  ???  :-[
Not all of them house fish. Some are for plant storage, snail breeding, growing algae on rocks, or quarantine. Some are still empty but are marked for specific projects.
I am still a long way from finished, but thought that it was time to come clean and admit to my problem.......

My name is Donna, and I'm a fish addict.  :)
Tanks have completely taken over the living/dining room, and have expanded into the hallway and spare bedroom (downstairs).

Over the next few days/weeks, as I work on finishing some of the tanks, I'll be posting pictures as a warning to others of the dangers of MTS.  ;)

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
Re: Multi-Tank syndrome - confessions of an MTS sufferer by Littlefish
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 05:17:39 PM »
*Coughs*  Thank you for sharing, Donna.  My wife and family held an intervention which is why I'm limited to 5 tanks in 9 months.  I've really had to hold back on getting a row of betta aquariums.  And a 100 l tank.  And...  *Sobs*  I need moar fishies!

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 05:35:59 PM »
I read this with pelting heart - honestly - as I thought you were about to say you'd decided to quit cold turkey. What an absolutely massive relief to learn that the MTS is alive and well. I definitely have those tendencies but have not been allowed to give into them, and so can only "contain" them through my "virtual" tanks which I read about on this forum ie yours in particular as well as others'. :)

Keep up the excellent work. :)

:fishy1:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 07:15:29 PM »
It's much easier to admit to this MTS problem amongst a like-minded group.  :)

It's been a busy afternoon of harvesting snails and moving the adults to another tank, as well as clearing out a quarantine tank.

Working clockwise around the living room part 1 of the list is as follows:-
200L/100cm tank containing 2 mudskippers
125L/80cm tank containing tetras, cories and 2 bristlenose plecs
Aqua Oak 150cm tank for axolotls

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 07:31:08 PM »
The 125L tanks was started because my bristlenose was being nipped by penguin tetras in the South American tank. The BEA was having similar trouble in another tank, so they were moved to a 70L tank (it was an emergency, and they were still quite small) until I could get the 125 sorted.
Moving the bristlenose caused the name Harry (Houdini) after the trouble I had catching the swift little fella, and it wasn't until I moved "him" to the 125, and in comparison to Bertie, I realised I had a female, so Harri it is. Probably explains the lack of bother between the two of them.
The tank has been completed with Black neon tetras and lemon tetras, but I had an accident when I went to the independent LFS for the fish, when I spotted the Peru gold stripe cories and just had to have some.
Haari and Bertie have been in the tank for a while, but the others only came out of quarantine yesterday, so today has been the first time I've had any lights on to take pictures.
Everyone is still settling down, so I expect the colours to develop given time. The corys are very bold, and spend a lot of time at the front of the tank in the open, even when Harri is around. Lemon tetras are shoaling more than the black neons, and one of them is not the same colour as the others. Apparently there is a conspecific orange/red colour form, and it seems quite happy shoaling with the others, so as long as it seems happy then it's staying with them.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 07:43:36 PM »
The axolotls are doing fine together in the tank.
The only problem is that the tank is quite tall, and I have to use a small set of steps to be able to feed the gang their earthworms as I use long forceps to feed them individually to ensure everybody gets their food.
They like their turtle ramp, and I've put a cave underneath, which is very popular.
They do equate any activity around the tank with dinner time, which can make it tricky to take pictures.
The axolotl gang consists of Dafydd (dark wild type), El Bandito (leucistic with dark markings) and Mr Pringles (leucistic, lighter markings), Ben & Jerry (coppers), and Chunky Monkey (wild type).
Yes, I do like ice cream, and Chunky Monkey was my favourite Ben & Jerrys flavour, but they've stopped making it now.  :(

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 11:56:17 PM »
Over the next few days/weeks, as I work on finishing some of the tanks, I'll be posting pictures as a warning to others of the dangers of MTS.  ;)

Or inspiration to others.  Looking forward to more great pics.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 10:06:36 AM »
@marquismirage I'm sure that you are mainly enjoying it because you can show this to your family as an example of how bad it could be next time they get together for an intervention.  :rotfl:

Things got a little chaotic last night when the 2 mudskippers in the 200L tank had a little fight which actually included physical contact. I was up until nearly midnight cleaning out a spare tank and setting it up to temporarily house a mudskipper so I could split them up. catching them is not easy. Just when you think you have them cornered in the water they jump onto the land and vice versa. It stresses all those involved, but everyone has survived and is ok this morning.
I don't know if I have done the right thing, but I actually removed the more dominant fish from the large tank. It won't be for ever, and as soon as I sort some more tanks out, especially the ones in the spare bedroom, he can be moved to a larger tank again.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 12:30:53 PM »
Or inspiration to others.  Looking forward to more great pics.

Agree entirely.  :cheers:

These updates and pics were such an enjoyment to read, even if there was a brawl between the mudskippers late on Sat night - glad you managed to intervene to calm the situation down, LF.  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 10:40:45 PM »
Just starting to say goodnight to the gang and turn off the tank lights, when I realised that Bertie was at the front of the tank and not rushing away as I approached, which is the usual response. I managed to get the laptop, get back to the tank, and take some close up pictures of him, which is unheard of. The tetras and cories are far less shy.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 09:21:48 AM »
I had a bit of an accident last night.
Previously I'd been looking for tanks that would fit onto the reinforced book case/cabinet things I'd built to house the Fluval Roma 125s at the bottom. My spare tanks (currently housing separated mudskippers) are 60cm x something over 30cm, and the shelves are around 85cm x 30cm, so I would have had to build deeper shelves, which would stick out a bit, and the tanks wouldn't have been wide enough to take advantage of the 85cm. I thought I'd found some tanks at a store, but then they went out of stock, so the tank moving went on hold for a while.
Last night I had a look on ebay and found tanks that are 80cm x 30cm for £99. The fact that they don't have lids will be a bit of a problem, but they were the exact size I was looking for, so I couldn't resist, and ordered 2. One will be for the betta & friends, the other will be for one of the mudskippers. I'll have to build lids for the tanks, so thinking hats on for that, but I'm sure I can put together something suitable eventually.
So, MTS strikes again.  :-[

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 12:06:07 PM »
When you said 'accident' I had visions of broken glass, flooded rooms and fish flopping all over the floor  :o ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 01:49:16 PM »
Luckily all of my "accidents" involve shopping rather than anything else.  ;D

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 03:40:23 PM »
I wish I could accidently go out for a pint of milk and get a new fish tank, lol.

PS. Keep the pics coming, loving them!

Offline fcmf

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 04:09:37 PM »
Absolutely loving not only the pics but reading of your latest MTS "escapades".

I used to have a Clearseal aquarium which had one of these lids - http://www.aquarium-supplies.co.uk/hoods.htm - and perfect for fitting a Fishmate auto-feeder on the in-built condensation tray in it. To my knowledge, it's no longer possible to buy these lids anywhere but they may give you inspiration for making your own.

I recently bought a new lid/hood for my fishtank when the lighting unit failed, so you may find that various brands of fishtanks of the same dimensions as your new one do sell stand-alone lids which would fit your new tanks.

This thread is just wonderful, something many of us aspire to, I'm sure.  ;D

Offline ColinB

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2017, 07:08:39 PM »
mmm - would that be the sort of 'accident' that involves a glass of wine or two??? eh? eh?

I know better than to go near ebay or anything similar after a glass or two. There're only so many guitars a man can have, after all.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2017, 08:51:56 PM »
Oh Colin, if only I could blame it on a couple of glasses of wine, but no. I've actually been looking for some tanks that are exactly 80cm x 30cm for a while, so I wouldn't have to put larger shelves on the reinforced unit to hold larger tanks.

You'd be amazed at how many of those sorts of accidents I can have stone cold sober.  ::)

Unfortunately I've had a call from the seller this evening to inform me that the couriers have told him that the tanks have been damaged in transit. The seller was very apologetic and offered to send me some larger tanks as replacements, but I said that I was happy to wait for another delivery of the tanks I ordered because I wanted that particular size. Nice of them to phone to apologise and offer rapid replacements, bless them.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2017, 11:04:43 AM »
Next update......I got another 2 tanks delivered yesterday.
So, still working clockwise around the living room, after the mudskipper tank (now divided and housing 2 fish), the 125L built into the tv stand, and the large axolotl tank, the following tanks are:-
Picture 1
70L tank housing another mudskipper
70L tank housing quarantined axolotl with leg injury
Aqua Oak 150cm destined to become a river tank (eventually)
24L tank on windowsill for breeding pest snails for the dwarf puffers
19L tank for growing algae on rocks for the bristlenose plecs
Picture 2
125L tank with silver hatchets, glass bloodfin tetras, penguin tetras, and amano shrimp
New 80cm tank for upgrading the betta and penguin cories (plan to increase panda numbers and eventually get some otocinclus for that tank as well)
125L tank with temperate fish including platies, danios, WCMM, peppered cories, and amano shrimp
New 80cm tank, haven't decided what it is for yet.
70L tank under dining table contains 4th mudskipper
50L tank on dining table contains the betta and pandas. It also has a healthy growth of algae on the glass, so I can use it as a quarantine tank for the otocinclus and extra pandas

The final tank in the room is the dwarf puffer tank. I'll provide more pics when I've set up the new tanks, cleared some of the quarantine tanks off the floor, and hopefully managed to take some control of my living space.  :-[  ::)  ;D

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2017, 06:56:40 PM »
I'm so having tank envy right now. :D  You keep everything so lovely and neat too.

Offline Sue

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2017, 07:11:32 PM »
And you have room for ordinary furniture. But I suppose you do need somewhere to sit to admire all your tanks and fish etc  ;D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Multi-Tank syndrome - confessions of an MTS sufferer by Littlefish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
10 Replies
Last post April 29, 2014, 11:39:31 AM
by ColinB
29 Replies
Last post July 04, 2016, 01:49:11 PM
by fcmf
21 Replies
Last post August 28, 2016, 10:50:43 AM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post August 31, 2016, 08:25:00 AM
by Littlefish
14 Replies
Last post November 20, 2016, 08:51:54 PM
by Littlefish
36 Replies
Last post July 06, 2019, 09:57:11 AM
by Littlefish
6 Replies
Last post September 11, 2017, 09:02:29 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: