Multi-Tank Syndrome - Confessions Of An MTS Sufferer By Littlefish

Author Topic: Multi-Tank syndrome - confessions of an MTS sufferer by Littlefish  (Read 34468 times) 144 replies

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Multi-Tank syndrome - confessions of an MTS sufferer by Littlefish
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2018, 09:43:33 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
@fcmf it's pretty much all about the fish with me too, they will always be my first priority.
Luckily Matt has managed to steer me to using easy plants for his designs, which look stunning, but don't need the CO2 and other upkeep that I would normally associate with aquascaping. I would never have realised that plants classed as easy could create tanks that look like this, and learning about the plants & different 'scaping designs is fascinating. I thoroughly enjoying it.  ;D

@Matt there are a lot more tanks to do.....within the next week or so I'll be ready to start chatting about the next one.  ;D  I hope that you're not regretting this project yet.  ???    :rotfl:    :fishy1:

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2018, 10:05:17 PM »
I would never have realised that plants classed as easy could create tanks that look like this, and learning about the plants & different 'scaping designs is fascinating. I thoroughly enjoying it.  ;D

Love this comment... that's exactly what I'm trying to prove on my site! :)

And no I'm not reretting it in the slightest...only problem is I now have too many requests for me to do the same for other people! I can't keep up!!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2018, 10:19:12 PM »
You need to start charging for your design & advisory services.  8)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2018, 11:16:25 PM »
Wow your tanks look fabulous. You are seriously selling the MTS thing! (I am increasingly envious with each new tank 'scape I see) But I barely have time to look after one tank at the moment, so it is the fish welfare that is restraining me.

However, I have some bogwood soaking in a bucket that I'm planning to incorporate into my tank at the weekend. I will be taking some serious inspiration from your South American tank.  ;D

Offline TopCookie

• aka: Pierre
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2018, 02:48:40 AM »
Fantastic pics Donna...  Great job(s)...   :D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2018, 02:18:32 PM »
Thanks for all of your very positive comments on the tanks.

Let me now introduce you to the marbled hatchetfish that I purchased yesterday, and have settled into their quarantine tank fairly quickly. They are tiny little things, and I think that they have lovely markings.

After forgetting to pick up shrimps and snails yesterday, I popped back to the store this morning and got a bag of amano shrimp (along with a bonus baby rabbit snail), and a bag of horned nerite snails (clithon corona). They are very young/small, and I almost can't believe the shrimp are the same as some of the massive females I've got in the other tanks - they are big girls.  :o

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2018, 03:16:52 PM »
Let me now introduce you to the marbled hatchetfish that I purchased yesterday, and have settled into their quarantine tank fairly quickly. They are tiny little things, and I think that they have lovely markings.
Wow - they are gorgeous.

After forgetting to pick up shrimps and snails yesterday, I popped back to the store this morning and got
I was anticipating the end of the sentence to read "3 more bags of different fish as well". ;D However, I am still equally eager to see photos of the shrimp and snails once in situ.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2018, 06:31:40 PM »
Oh, @fcmf you know me too well.  :rotfl:
It is quite a struggle not to get carried away with fish as the local MA has recently had a delivery, so there are lots of lovely fish to look at. My will power is getting tested as I struggle to keep to my plans.  ::)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2018, 10:15:01 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
You have a new obsession anyway!... Plants!  :wave:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2018, 11:08:39 PM »
 :rotfl:
Now I have two obsessions, fish and plants. The local MA has also set up an extra 8ft plant tank, and two extra 3ft plant tanks recently, so now they have a lot more choice too.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2018, 11:15:54 PM »
Lol you make it sound like they've set them up just for you!!  :rotfl:

Offline TopCookie

• aka: Pierre
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2018, 12:14:53 AM »
Lovin' those Hatchets...   ;)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2018, 08:12:05 AM »
Lol you make it sound like they've set them up just for you!!  :rotfl:

:rotfl:
They've had quite a refurbishment project going on at both local MAs, and this one has had quite a lot of new kit - display tanks, display cabinets, etc. It's all looking pretty good.
As for the plant tanks, when I walked in and noticed the tanks, I was told that there was no need for me to go to Aquarium Gardens any more  :o
As at least one member of staff at that MA enjoys aquascaping, and as they are selling a lot more plants these days, a bigger plant display makes sense. However, it is very handy for me, and I like to think that everything in the store belongs to me, as it's the only way I can have enough tanks.  :rotfl:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2018, 08:34:26 AM »
Not strictly fish-related, but certainly aquatic, and part of my multi-tank syndrome.

This is what it looks like when your axolotls wait until you've finished cleaning their tank, then one of them takes a massive pooh, and tries to bury it in the sand.  ::)   :rotfl:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2019, 05:37:10 PM »
Just a quick update on the tanks.
The tiger barb tank is doing well. I had old flourescent tubes on it, and the plants were struggling, but since changing to new LEDs things have been much better. Unfortunately this was too late for the Echinodorus magdalensis on the right hand side of the tank, which I've had to replace with new plants, which are quite small at the moment. They'll soon grow though.
Looking at the picture you'd never guess that there are 24 juvenille tiger barbs in the tank, but I promise you that they are there, and are mainly the fuzzy blurs near the front.
@Matt the sagittaria subulata path suffered with the flourescent tubes, and being shaded by the crypts. Now the lights have changed & I've trimmed the crypts I'll probably plant a few more sag towards the back of the "path". Is there anything else you can see that I need to do with this tank?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2019, 05:49:57 PM »
I've trimmed the carpeting plants in the tree stump tank. I've also thinned out and removed some of the crypts, which were quite heavily planted to start with, and then grew like weeds and started to take over the tank.  :o
I've been a bit heavy handed with the trimming, but I want to encourage the carpeting plants as much as possible. The marsilia hirsuta is still my favourite, it's so pretty.
I also need to confess that I'd incorrectly calculated the volume of my tank, and always though it was a slim-line tank with a volume of a maximum 140L. It isn't, it is standard depth, with a max. volume of 220L. After planting etc. the volume is actually 170L, and this means that I can recalculate my stock levels.
Having explained my concerns to Matt  with regards to putting Harri the BN into the tank (she'd probabaly trash the carpeting plants), and seeing how small the marbled hatchets are, we've discussed only using very small fish. I'll get more marbled hatchets, use the black neon tetras I've already got (and increase their numbers), and get some salt & pepper corys for the bottom. All fish are around 3cm, should look more in proportion to each other, and more in proportion to the delicate planting.  :)
@Matt  I've also changed to an FX4 filter, but with wider nozzles on the output, so I won't blast the hatchets out of the water, an don't have to think about where to site a spray bar in this tank. Is there anything else I need to do with this tank and/or the planting before we start thinking about adding fish?

Offline fcmf

« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2019, 05:53:15 PM »
The tiger barb tank does look great - well done, and the lighting looks a lot more natural than my fluorescent tube. :cheers:  [If/when I ever convert over to LEDs, then I'll maybe given live plantkeeping another go then, given that Littlefish is attributing her better results with plants to the LEDs.]

I've hunted for the tiger barbs. I think I can make out 10 with an additional 5 likely-wishful-thinking blurs that I'm trying to convince myself must be some of the others.  :D

Offline fcmf

« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2019, 05:58:47 PM »
Tree stump tank looks really lovely too.

I also need to confess that I'd incorrectly calculated the volume of my tank, and always though it was a slim-line tank with a volume of a maximum 140L. It isn't, it is standard depth, with a max. volume of 220L. After planting etc. the volume is actually 170L
At this point, a smile broke out as I read this, as I knew what this meant.  ;D  I agree that having fish of similar proportion to one another and also to the decor of the tank is important.  Would love to read how you get on with the habrosus cories that you're proposing which are lovely - very envious.
 8)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2019, 09:03:51 PM »
The tiger barbs are a bit easier to photograph from the end of the tank, though even then they are still a bit of a blur @fcmf

As for the smaller cories, it will also help that I now have the Pozzani filter to reduce the GH as well as the nitrites in that tank.  :)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2019, 08:04:09 PM »
@Matt  I've also changed to an FX4 filter, but with wider nozzles on the output, so I won't blast the hatchets out of the water, an don't have to think about where to site a spray bar in this tank. Is there anything else I need to do with this tank and/or the planting before we start thinking about adding fish?

Looking at the tank now (and I must admit I'm a bit of a fan of what I'm about to suggest... just look at my photos in the gallery section... what would you think to doing a vallis background? The back potentially looks quite bare...

The more this tank gets the better it will look  :cheers:

I'd love to see an up close photo of the marsilea hirsuta as you often fave about it and must admit I'm getting quite jealous that I can't find any locally!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Multi-Tank syndrome - confessions of an MTS sufferer by Littlefish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
10 Replies
Last post April 29, 2014, 11:39:31 AM
by ColinB
29 Replies
Last post July 04, 2016, 01:49:11 PM
by fcmf
21 Replies
Last post August 28, 2016, 10:50:43 AM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post August 31, 2016, 08:25:00 AM
by Littlefish
14 Replies
Last post November 20, 2016, 08:51:54 PM
by Littlefish
36 Replies
Last post July 06, 2019, 09:57:11 AM
by Littlefish
6 Replies
Last post September 11, 2017, 09:02:29 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: