Multi-Tank Syndrome - Confessions Of An MTS Sufferer By Littlefish

Author Topic: Multi-Tank syndrome - confessions of an MTS sufferer by Littlefish  (Read 34146 times) 144 replies

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Multi-Tank syndrome - confessions of an MTS sufferer by Littlefish
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2017, 07:59:35 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
@marquismirage I'm not sure having tanks on the dining table and on the floor can be classed as neat, but hopefully things will start getting back to normal soon. I have a week off work coming up and I'll be spending most of that time moving the betta and pandas into one of the new tanks, and possibly even the other 2 mudskippers into the other 200L that will be in the spare room.

@Sue the armchair is the perfect place to be able to see most tanks at the moment, and it will be great when I move the betta to his new tank (next to the chair) as this was where he was when he was in a smaller tank, and he would usually come to that end of the tank to hang around, even if I was just watching tv. I also enjoy having a tank under the tv, and spend more time listening to the tv and watching the tank than actually watching the tv. The mudskippers are so entertaining too, they are such funny little characters.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2017, 10:18:54 AM »
I'd forgotten about this thread until I was looking for somewhere to post a pic of some baby BNs.

Well, I managed to tidy some of the quarantine tanks away a while ago. The axolotl with the sore leg recovered and went back into the main tank. The other 2 mudskippers were given a divided tank in the spare bedroom. The betta on the dining table went into the new tank near the window, so for a brief period of time the floor and table were clear.
Then it all kicked off again when I had to strip the bristlenose & tetra tank under the tv to remove the babies and spilt up the BNs before they produced yet another batch of eggs, whilst the other quarantine tanks went back onto the table to house a group of gobies purchased for the river tank, and one of the algae tanks had to quickly be re-purposed when I realised I had 3 babies in a waste bucket after cleaning the dwarf puffer tank.
It is absolute chaos here, but I had to spend some time sitting on the floor, watching the baby BNs feeding on algae wafers.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2017, 12:28:56 PM »
Just a quick update on the multi-tank syndrone and total tank chaos.

I'm slowly getting things back to normal and getting the spare/quarantine tanks out of the living room.

The tank under the tv now houses Bertie the yellow BN (aka daddy fish), the lemon tetras and the glass bloodfin tetras. Eventually the peru gold stripe cories will also go into that tank, but for now they are in a separate tank while I have a think about whether I want to try breeding them.

The black neon tetras and Harri BN (aka mummy fish) have been moved out of the quarantine tank that holds the baby BNs, and into the tank with the silver hatchets and a few penguin tetras. They were only moved this morning, so I'll post pics when everyone has settled.

The quarantine tank now houses only the baby BNs, which I plan to grow on until I can take them to MA. There has been what I thought was quite a high mortality rate with the baby BNs, and I was getting concerned. Water parameters were all good and I couldn't work out what I was doing wrong. After looking at a few sites on the internet, I have come to the conclusion that I'm probably not doing anything too wrong, as the sites say that it is not uncommon for 10 babies to survive out of a batch of 100 eggs.

The 2 mudskippers from the tank in the spare bedroom have been moved to a tank in the living room.

The other tanks are doing fine, and I have found that the fish in the river tank are very fond of courgette.  :)

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2017, 06:15:13 PM »
Nice update Littlefish and good to hear everyone is doing well.  I'm sure you will have more breeding very soon even if you didn't mean there to be. I'm sure you must have Margin Gaye on loop in the background permanently!!

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2017, 09:06:00 PM »
I always enjoy seeing your tanks.  :)  I'm getting a bit of mts envy at the moment as the more I look the more fish I want.  My wife has flat out refused to turn the house into a fish room.  Boo!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2017, 10:06:47 PM »
I'm still at the point that the more fish I see, the more fish I want.  ::)
I'm trying to keep myself under control by concentrating on getting all the tanks in the living room in the right place and removing all the quarantine/spare tanks.  :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2017, 11:23:45 AM »
Bertie has settled quite well in the replanted tank.
He had the company of the lemon tetras previously, and the glass bloodfin tetras were moved from another tank. I don't know why, but the bloodfins seem more settled in this tank, are mixing with the lemons, and spending pretty much all of their time out and about at the front of the tank rather than staying quite close to the plants.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2017, 11:28:02 AM »
It is courgette for lunch in the baby BN tank.
They have the tank to themselves now that Harri BN and the gold stripe cories were moved yesterday.
Apologies for the amount of fish poop in the pics, you'd never believe that all the decor was moved and the whole of the substrate syphoned just yesterday. The amount of waste these little ones can produce in a 24 hour period never ceases to amaze me.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2017, 11:34:38 AM »
It's not easy to get pics of the mudskippers. Firstly the inside of the front glass has to be wiped to remove the condensation, then part of the lid left off to avoid further condensation. This does not make them overly happy.
Then there is the prospect of me sitting in front of the tank with the tablet.  :yikes:
The two that have always been in the living room always hide, and one of them has shown his displeasure by not only hiding between the filter and the heater, but also slightly raising his fin. Time to leave him alone.
The two that were moved yesterday seem to be fine. The one fella is still spending a lot of time in his cork bark tunnel, but the other one (more submissive, always hiding in an ornament in the water, possibly female?) has settled quickly, moved out of the water and spends a lot of time not quite hiding.
I'm hoping that these two will settle and become more sociable, as there is a lot more movement/interaction in the living room than there was in the spare room.  :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2017, 11:40:41 AM »
The black neon tetras are still settling, as is Harri (mummy BN). All have eaten, but still seem a little nervous, and are spending time close to the plants.
Hope they feel more comfortable soon.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2017, 06:49:08 AM »
PIctures!!!!

Nice update Littlefish, great to see how your... collection... Is is coming together  :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2018, 10:41:36 AM »
Hi All.  :wave:

I thought I'd resurrect this thread to give an update on my multi-tank syndrome, and total tank chaos.

As many of you know, I'm very keen on fish, and have "several" tanks *cough*  :-[ . I have been in the process of rearranging my tanks for a long, long time. Unfortunately, as I have been born genetically bereft of any design skills, my tanks have ended up being suitable for the fish, but never really looked quite right, which had left me a tad dissatisfied with the results. It didn't seem to matter how much I read about aquascaping, how many demonstrations I watched online, or attended in person, I appear to be incapable of absorbing that knowledge and putting it into practice.

Imagine my surprise when several coincidences arose, and provided me with the most amazing opportunity.  :o

Quite some time ago people on this forum had recommended Aquarium Gardens for plants. I ordered plants online for delivery, and not long after that I realised that I lived within a very reasonable driving distance from this shop, and went for a visit. It's a stunning shop, and the staff are lovely. I only felt out of my depth due to my lack of design skills.

Earlier this year I was sorting out the spare bedroom for delivery of new furniture. As I was pulling storage boxes out from under the bed I realised how much fish-related stuff I'd accumulated over the past 3 years, including lots of rock and wood.

Our very own @Matt confessed to his interest in aquascaping, and set up his own site http://www.scapeeasy.co.uk/index.htm
"Hmmmmm, interesting" I thought, and quite a coincidence considering the amount of materials I'd discovered. I knew that Matt would understand that my priority would always be my fish rather than the plants, and when we discussed my situation, he agreed to help me with my tanks.  ;D

Then, to top it off, Maidenhead Aquatics had a sale on Fluval Roma tanks.  :yikes:

So, the situation I have found myself in is one where I live surrounded by several great LFS, and Aquarium Gardens. I wanted to make my tanks look better, Matt had the knowledgs/skill, was prepared to help, and we had his website as a platform on which to discuss ideas and share pictures. I consider myself to be one very lucky bunny to find myself with this opportunity to finally get things right with my tanks.  ;D

Approximately a month ago Matt and I made a start on reviewing available materials for recycling, and discussing tank plans. We started on a tiger barb tank, which is currently set up, and the plants are growing in before I introduce the fish. Over the next week or two I will post pics here to show the tank (which I am completely over the moon with), and will post more pics when I introduce the fish & they have settled in. For those of you who would like to have a laugh at how much rock & wood I had accumulated, or are interested in the details of the tank & process, here's the link http://scapeeasy.co.uk/advice.htm

I will also use this thread to update on the other tanks as we work through the reorganisation.  :)

:cheers:

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2018, 11:19:47 AM »
This update is wonderful - I'd been hoping to read one at some stage as I was beginning to lose track of where things were at, and thanks for posting the direct link to the development on Matt's website; it had been mentioned as being in the blog before but I couldn't find it at all and thought my computer skills had inexplicably deteriorated.

It's really helpful to read the stage-by-stage development, including the questions/thoughts, responses/discussions and subsequent tweaks, and how it all comes together. Hopefully this gives a line of hope for others of how a stage-by-stage approach might achieve the aquascape that they never dared think was remotely possible.

Well done, @Littlefish and @Matt, and looking forward to seeing how the other tanks progress too.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2018, 06:20:09 PM »
Haven't finished reading the blog, but am really enjoying reading it.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2018, 11:35:02 PM »
I've just finished reading your blog. Oh! It is exciting. I can't wait to see what it looks like when the plants grow in.

It makes me want to have another go at my tank! It is only a year since I majorly messed with the substrate!   :yikes: Though, unlike you @Littlefish , I don't have a spare tank.  ;)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2018, 07:11:15 AM »
I'm setting up a page today for the next tank we will be tackling...! Thanks for the great feedback.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2018, 08:14:54 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I was always losing track of what was going on @fcmf
One of the reasons that working with @Matt has been so useful for me is that it has focused me on finalising tank plans. That took a lot of effort, and I ended up having to use sheets of A4 to represent each tank, going back and forth between lists of current fish, the CC, plant lists, etc. Laying everything out on the floor (see pic) was so useful as it allowed me to move items between tanks, check the stock levels, compatibility, etc. without losing track of what had to be dealt with.  :)

As for the tank, the step-by-step approach worked well for me. Arranging materials on the floor was great, and far more comfortable that doing all of that in a tank. Taking pics from above and using them for planting plans was so useful, and saved a lot of digging things back up to make changes.

I'm chuffed to bits with the final product. I am looking forward to the plants growing in, and adding the fish. Not long now. :)

It's also very exciting to start working on the next tank.  ;D

@Helen the house is full of tanks, but quite disorganised. There are lots of temporary tanks, quarantine tanks, plant storage tanks....it was starting to get on my nerves a bit because I couldn't seem to find a way forward with the reorganisation. That's another good thing about doing this work with Matt, working out what the first steps are. Funny how that helps with resolving a difficult situation. Who'd have thought.  :o   ;)

Offline Sue

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2018, 10:06:00 AM »
Am I the only person who can't find the blog?
I've clicked on the link and I get a page with photos of collections or rock, wood etc, that's all. No blog! Where do I find it? Or is it the link at the bottom of the page for Facebook blog which I can't access as I don't have a Facebook account.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2018, 10:09:00 AM »
Don't look at the blog - look at this  http://scapeeasy.co.uk/advice.htm  Any luck now?

Offline Sue

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2018, 10:16:02 AM »
That's the page that just has the photos of rock. wood etc and nothing else. Screenshots below of the top of the page and the bottom of the page.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Multi-Tank syndrome - confessions of an MTS sufferer by Littlefish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
10 Replies
Last post April 29, 2014, 11:39:31 AM
by ColinB
29 Replies
Last post July 04, 2016, 01:49:11 PM
by fcmf
21 Replies
Last post August 28, 2016, 10:50:43 AM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post August 31, 2016, 08:25:00 AM
by Littlefish
14 Replies
Last post November 20, 2016, 08:51:54 PM
by Littlefish
36 Replies
Last post July 06, 2019, 09:57:11 AM
by Littlefish
6 Replies
Last post September 11, 2017, 09:02:29 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: