Multi-Tank Syndrome - Confessions Of An MTS Sufferer By Littlefish

Author Topic: Multi-Tank syndrome - confessions of an MTS sufferer by Littlefish  (Read 34154 times) 144 replies

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Multi-Tank syndrome - confessions of an MTS sufferer by Littlefish
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2019, 10:15:15 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I started this thread a long time ago with this confession:
My name is Donna, and I'm a fish addict.  :)
Tanks have completely taken over the living/dining room, and have expanded into the hallway and spare bedroom (downstairs).

It's time for another confession.
Due to the imminent start of a new job, and the very likely prospect of having to relocate within the next 12 months, I'm in the process of reducing the number of tanks that I own.  :o

It's a big step for me, but I won't have the time to look after the huge number of tanks I currently have. Sometimes other aspects of life have to take priority, and a good dose of common sense smacks you in the face.

Technically I will admit that I am cheating slightly. Earlier this year I bought some larger tanks, so my plan is to combine some of the stock from smaller tanks into these larger tanks. I don't plan to get rid of any of my fish or amphibians, but am aiming for significantly less tanks.

I will be keeping several of the empty tanks to help with relocation as necessary, but this is such a big change for me, and I'll probably have a massive struggle with not buying any new fish.  :-[

Still, I'm sure that this is a situation that many people face at some point, even if not quite on the same scale, so I thought I'd share whatever I end up going through. More to follow as and when.  :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2019, 10:07:24 PM »
I'm no good at taking pics of fish on my phone, but it's always nice to see that a baby is growing up and getting out with the others.

As a treat most of the fish had a bloodworm feed yesterday. Today I have noticed that the peru gold stripe corys in Bertie the BNs tank have been "quite busy", and have laid several small clusters of eggs on the glass. I really must remember not to do a water change & bloodworm feed within 24 hours of each other. Still, I'd be quite happy for a couple of these to survive.  :)

Offline Fishbeard

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Bearded Fish Forum User
« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2019, 11:02:00 PM »
Good luck with the hatchlings. I see some Panda Cories in the photo, which I find funny because pretty much everything is a breeding trigger for mine. Water change? Lay some eggs. Seasonal weather change? Eggs. Frozen food day? Eggs. If I look at them funny they'll probably start breeding... good job the tank lights are out!

I started with six almost two years ago and periodically take the babies that survive down to the LFS. At one point I found I actually had 13 in the tank when some had taken to hiding out of view. >_>

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #123 on: July 07, 2019, 05:55:54 AM »
I had no idea that the pandas had laid eggs a while back, there wasn't anything on the glass. I find very new cory hatchlings look a bit like a small fish pooh, but with a sense of direction. Usually noticing eggs makes me take a lot more care when syphoning the substrate, but the little one in the picture just appeared out of nowhere one day. Must have been hiding in the plants. Now it's a bit bigger it seems to spend more time out with the others.

The peru gold stripes are in the other bristlenose tank. They've laid eggs previously, but the eggs have been eaten. I don't tend to make the effort to breed fish on purpose, and usually leave eggs in the tank and let nature take it's course. Well, except with the bristlenose plecs, where I eventually separated them into different tanks, and took all the offspring to the LFS.  ::)

The male gold stripes were pursuing one of the females most of yesterday. Even at feeding time they continued, apart from one male who broke off for a quick munch on an algae wafer before continuing. I guess he had to make sure he kept his strength up.  :rotfl:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #124 on: July 07, 2019, 06:10:32 PM »
Well, as expected, all the peru gold stripe cory eggs are gone. In a tank with a plec, corydoras, tetras, shrimp, and snails, the chance of eggs surviving more than 24 hours is always unlikely. Oh well.

Offline Fishbeard

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Bearded Fish Forum User
« Reply #125 on: July 07, 2019, 07:28:31 PM »
Hardly a surprise, but still a shame.

Glad to see I'm not the only "let nature take its course" person on here with regard to the eggs. I always felt slightly guilty about it, but I try to be as little involved in the lives of my fish as possible. Let them live as naturally as they can...

Offline Sue

« Reply #126 on: July 07, 2019, 07:41:35 PM »
My rice fish breed constantly. It is quite obvious with these fish as the eggs stick to the female's vent until they get scraped off as they swim though the plants. I don't bother to look for the eggs and they must be eaten as I've never found a fry in this tank.

But a previous betta was incredibly laid back, and I used to take bits of water sprite from the main tank as it didn't do well in the betta's tank and needed replacing on a regular basis. There must have been eggs attached to the water sprite as I had a total of 4 rice fry appear in the betta's tank - which he compeletely ignored.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #127 on: July 07, 2019, 08:12:42 PM »
If I didn't let nature take it's course I can't imagine how many fry I'd end up with from the tanks. The bristlenose plecs alone can churn out a substantial batch of eggs every month if left together in the same tank.  :o

Wow Sue, fry in a betta tank, he must have been a very laid back chap. Nice to have a few little ones swimming around occasionally though.  :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #128 on: July 13, 2019, 09:06:18 AM »
Big day yesterday, I spent all day setting up the aqua Oak 150 in the living room so I could move the river fish back to their original location.
I spent a considerable amount to time in the cabinet, poking hoses up the back of the tank, and fitting an FX6 and 2 FX4 filters.
I had stored the original river rock in a stack box, so after a quick rinse it was placed in the tank, along with lots of wood, anubias, and bucephalandra.
The actual catching/relocating the fish was traumatic for all involved, and I finally sat down at around 8.30pm. I think we all deserved a quiet evening after that.
Its not really possible to aquascape the tank as such. The water flow is very strong, and the bottom feeders are constantly shifting the sand, which is why I only have plants attached to wood. The anubias was a more recent addition as I was temporarily storing some (intended for the axolotls) in their other tank, and found that the garras and loaches had taken a shine to resting on the leaves. Sorry axolotls, but your plants have been stolen by the fish now.
I'll leave the fish settle for a few days, then I'll need to do some minor adjustments. Today I'll be clearing out the Aqua Oak 120 that the river fish were in. The plan is to get it ready for some South American fish that are currently in the living room, which will then free up enough space for the new mudskipper set up. I'm aching quite a bit from all the lifting and shifting required yesterday, so I'm not sure I'll get everything done today, but I'll try.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #129 on: July 13, 2019, 09:04:57 PM »
Hopefully you are now enjoying a nice relaxing evening after a successful day Donna....

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2019, 09:22:08 PM »
Generally successful day, and now enjoying having the fish back in their correct tank.
The bulldog plecs have been having regular tussles over who sits on which rock. Everyone is finding their way around the tank, and there's still a lot of activity around the cucumber/algae wafer combo. I can't stop watching them.  ;D

Tomorrow I need to rinse some more sand, then I'll have time to look at moving the sand & manzanita from the Roma 200 to the Aqua Oak 120.  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #131 on: July 14, 2019, 11:31:13 AM »
Do you ever get time to just sit down and watch your fish  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #132 on: July 14, 2019, 12:29:38 PM »
 :rotfl:

Thankfully, yes Sue, though I admit that when I sit down to watch tv I spend most of the time listening to the tv & watching the fish.  ;D

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #133 on: July 14, 2019, 12:33:53 PM »
I will be keeping several of the empty tanks to help with relocation as necessary, but this is such a big change for me, and I'll probably have a massive struggle with not buying any new fish.  :-[
By this, do you mean you're planning to take some tanks with you for your new abode, or did you mean using tank to store light-weight items in for moving? Hopefully you will have some tanks at your new abode as it will no doubt be a shock to the system to have been surrounded by ~17 tanks to suddenly having 0 - and we wouldn't want you getting withdrawal symptoms!  ;)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #134 on: July 14, 2019, 12:34:31 PM »
:rotfl:
Thankfully, yes Sue, though I admit that when I sit down to watch tv I spend most of the time listening to the tv & watching the fish.  ;D
Ditto!  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #135 on: July 14, 2019, 12:43:20 PM »
@fcmf the plan for relocation would be to temporarily move the fish out of their current tanks, into the smaller tanks, and leave them here. That would give me a chance to strip down the larger tanks, move them to a new abode, and set them up again. I can then go back to collect the fish, drive them to their new location, and acclimatise them back to their "normal" tanks.

It's going to be a massive upheaval, and very stressful for all involved, but I think that this plan is pretty much as good as it gets.

I couldn't possibly imagine not having my tanks as and when I have to relocate.  :o

Offline fcmf

« Reply #136 on: July 14, 2019, 02:32:36 PM »
I can't tell you how very relieved I am to read this - you would definitely be like a fish out of water if you were minus any tanks in your new location!

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #137 on: July 14, 2019, 09:57:18 PM »
Is the tap water similar where you'll be moving to?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #138 on: July 15, 2019, 07:13:14 AM »
Yes, it is, in fact it's a little bit softer, which will be better. That was one of the first things I checked.  ;D
The water here is 17dH, nitrates 40ppm.
The water in the relocation area is 15dH, and nitrates 37ppm.
So I'll still be using my nitrate filters, but won't need to use as much RO for the river tank, etc.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #139 on: October 06, 2019, 09:31:22 PM »
Trying to get the gang used to having pics taken.  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Multi-Tank syndrome - confessions of an MTS sufferer by Littlefish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
10 Replies
Last post April 29, 2014, 11:39:31 AM
by ColinB
29 Replies
Last post July 04, 2016, 01:49:11 PM
by fcmf
21 Replies
Last post August 28, 2016, 10:50:43 AM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post August 31, 2016, 08:25:00 AM
by Littlefish
14 Replies
Last post November 20, 2016, 08:51:54 PM
by Littlefish
36 Replies
Last post July 06, 2019, 09:57:11 AM
by Littlefish
6 Replies
Last post September 11, 2017, 09:02:29 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: