Mudskipper Tank Or Paludarium - Littlefish

Author Topic: Mudskipper tank or paludarium - Littlefish  (Read 10062 times) 36 replies

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Mudskipper tank or paludarium - Littlefish
« on: March 07, 2017, 02:19:49 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
 :vcross:
This is the third time since Saturday that I have taken everything out to start again.
Even though I've spent months researching the captive housing of mudskippers as pets, I just can't seem to get the layout in the tank right. I couldn't get the sand/land area right, then I hadn't made the water part deep enough for the filter. I'm about to have another go, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that something works out this time.
Just got back from independent LFS, where I purchased more silicone and got some more advice. They've been very supportive, bless them.
Might also have to treat myself to a take away and some beers tonight.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
Re: Mudskipper tank or paludarium - Littlefish
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 05:04:48 PM »
Ok, so I might be getting somewhere with the mudskipper tank. Phew.
I have built a divider to hold the sand/rock/pebbles in place for the land section, and am waiting for the silicone to dry. It's looking a bit grey at the moment, but I'm sure it will look better with the wood, etc. in place.
Had to cheer myself up by blanching some courgette and putting it in the bristlenose tank. It took Harry/Harri around 30 minutes of whiffling around the tank, up to the feeding rock, away to the log pile (repeat many times), before latching on to the courgette for 15 minutes before taking a break. He/she is back on the courgette again, so I think it's safe to say that it's another vegetable that I can offer.
No sign of Bertie, apart from a brief flash of gold from within the woodpile, so not sure if he likes courgette yet.  :)

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 09:26:34 PM »
I have built a divider to hold the sand/rock/pebbles in place for the land section, and am waiting for the silicone to dry.

I use correx plastic sheeting cut to size to keep bits of aquascape where I want it to be.  The wave in my substrate in the Papua New Guinea was created by using correx as in the very crude diagram below.  The two outer curves are 5 cm in height and the inner ones are 8 cm.  It doesn't need sticking as substrate and physics will keep it in place.

With my large tank (one month past ordering it!) I'll use polystyrene below the substrate to reduce weight when creating the hill which will be kept in place by rocks as well.  I find this kind of thing fun but it is work so you have my empathy.  :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 10:02:07 PM »
@marquismirage I usually enjoy setting up a tank, but last week I had concerns that this one may be pushing me to my limits, even before I started.
When I visited the independent LFS today I aired some of my concerns, including the requirement for polystyrene under the stones, and my ability to even put together a tank suitable for mudskippers, when one of the guys said "we have faith in you", so no pressure.  :-[
I hope that by the time I go back on Friday (to collect the weekly delivery of live bloodworms for the dwarf puffers) I am in a better mood (less stressed) and have some positive news for them.
I saw some correx at a DIY store today, and thought it would be useful, though eventually went with slate tile thingies to build the divider between land and water. I hope to finish the land area tomorrow, add the brackish water, and get the filter & heater running, with the aim of collecting the mudskippers Thursday/Friday.
It is hard work, but quite a nice way to spend my week off work.  :)

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 11:00:28 PM »
 ::) I think we are forgetting something..... didn't I hear you offer a takeaway and a few beers? The coach is booked and will be picking people up on the way south. Brace yourself, you may need a second portion of rice.

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 12:09:50 AM »
Aquarium road trip!  I'll chip in for fuel and, er, chips.

@Littlefish Hehe, if we wanted the easy life we'd keep rocks as pets.  What kind of mudskippers are you getting?  I don't know anything about the species kept in aquariums.  I remember seeing a documentary once with mudskippers living in mangroves swamps and the males had their own little islands which were their territory and they competed for the best islands.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 07:03:53 AM »
Oi... you know the rules... pictures!  :isay:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 08:11:28 AM »
Apologies to all.
The takeaway was postponed and I had roast chicken for dinner.
The mudskippers were delivered to my local MA in error, and the delivery company told them to keep them. As they had not been ordered the staff didn't have the latin name for them, but with much gawping at the tank and waiting for them to flash their fins so we could check the colours, we are confident that they are Periophthalmus barbarus (atlantic mudskipper). This means that they are larger and more territorial than some others, but they are very cute. There are three of them, we think it's two males and a female, and although there hasn't been too much trouble in the store tank, I'm preprared for the submissive male having to be moved to another tank if the dominant males causes problems in the new tank.
As for pictures, I will take some today. I could take a pic now, but it would mainly be rocks, wood, and buckets of sand/pebbles laid out on towels on the floor in front of the tank, after I pulled everything apart again yesterday.  ???

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 07:06:18 PM »
::) I think we are forgetting something..... didn't I hear you offer a takeaway and a few beers? The coach is booked and will be picking people up on the way south. Brace yourself, you may need a second portion of rice.
  Count me in too! :rotfl:

This sounds a very interesting project. Looking forward to hearing of the developments and pics, before and after the arrival of the mudskippers.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 07:09:01 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Got the tank almost done.
Currently adjusting temperature/humidity/salinity, and will also be adding more sand to the slope on the right.
Don't think I'll put any plants in the water, but will need to get some more long pieces of wood.
Phew, time for a rest now.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 07:55:54 PM »
Wow - that is seriously impressive. Thumbs-up approval from both Mr & Mrs FCMF. :)

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 09:16:00 PM »
I agree totally.  Looks like your hard work is paying off!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 09:51:15 PM »
Many thanks for the compliments.
It has been hard work, and I'm looking forward to getting the mudskippers and seeing how they get on with the tank. I can always make some adjustments where necessary.
I've made some more adjustments to the salinity, and will leave it overnight before testing again.  :)

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 05:27:57 AM »
@Littlefish Very impressive! All this started because of the orphaned fish in the store, or was this part of a longer term plan? You mentioned having mangrove trees some time ago so is it a coincidence?
I'm not sure if it is the same species but I think I recall a Life on Earth#1 episode with skippers defending burrows in the mud when the tide was out, returning to the burrow when it was in?
This suggestion isn't initially going to make your life any easier but.... they live in tidal areas and the tank looks like the water volume is quite small. Would it help having a sump and pumping water up into the top tank on a timer. This would give you a lot more water volume and the mud flat area at low water could be much larger and flatter removing the territorial pressure?
btw poor chicken - roasted!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 06:48:58 AM »
Donna - that looks stunning. They're very lucky little mudskippers.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 09:33:26 AM »
@ColinB I hope that they will be comfortable with the environment, fingers crossed.
@Andy the minion basically yes, this all started from a delivery mistake at MA. However, this does show perfectly why I have so many tanks - I start out with the intention of something completely normal, get distracted, and then I'm spending months researching how to house something I've only ever seen on tv. I did buy some mangrove seedlings, but have not had much luck with them. The root systems have frown, but the leaves have not, so they are still in a pot rather than in the tank. I went with air plants in the tank because they can do well in warm, humid environments, and can be regularly misted.
I've seen a tank that has been set up as you describe, and has a twice daily flooding of the mudflat. Technically awesome and completely beyond me. I'd also seen mudskippers kept in paludariums, and originally thought this would be easier and more attractive, even though it is not an accurate representation of their natural environment. I started setting up the tank with a focus on the plants and land section, and soon found that it wouldn't work because my tank wasn't tall enough to accommodate the land and plants properly. That was why I emptied the tank to start again, trying to build the land section lower before finding there wasn't enough room for the filter in the water, then giving up and just going for air plants and what can only be described as an environment which has the correct water/humidity and contains any items smooth enough not to damage the mudskippers undersides whilst still giving them things to climb on and hide under.
I agree that there is not much water, and this was intentional. They spend 90% of their time out of water. They are not strong swimmers and can drown if they can't walk/climb out of the water. Most tanks I've seen during researching them either had very low water levels, or lots of wood in the water for the fish to climb on. I will need to get more wood as I used most of what I had pre-soaked for the woodpile in the bristlenose tank recently.
I know I'll have to make some adjustments to the tank as I go along, but I'm hoping that I've got enough of the basics right.  :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 12:14:51 PM »
Have just got home from MA.
I now have 4 mudskippers.  ;D
The whole thing has been an emotional rollercoaster already.
I was very excited driving to the store.
I thought they had 3 mudskippers, but when all the wood was removed from the tank we counted 4. It seemed rude to leave one behind, so....
I couldn't help chuckling when the big boss was trying to net them, and one escaped an ran across the top of the tank.
I was very nervous driving home with them. It's bad enough driving home with fish normally, but also worrying that the fish would drown, made it worse. I put the bag at an angle on the passenger seat, so the fish could swim to a part of the bag where they could climb out of the water if they wanted to.
I got home and one of the fish was floating, lifeless. Huge disappointment at the though that one had died on the way home. I moved the water and the fish didn't respond, which was very sad. I got one of the smaller pieces of bog wood from the tank and scooped the fish out of the water, at which point it took a big breath. Nervous relief ensued. Although the staff had told me to do a slow acclimatisation with the fish, needs must, and I brought this one out of the bag on the wood and placed the wood on the land area. He is in the first photo, and has since moved and seems ok.
For the remaining fish I have rolled down the bag, placed it at a jaunty angle in the water, and put some wood in the bag so the fish can climb out if they want to. I am also slowly adding small amounts of my tank water. As you can see from the second photo, another 2 fish have made their way to the top of the bag.
The final fish is at the bottom of the bag, but seems fine for now.  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 12:20:39 PM »
I apologise in advance for the amount of photos I am likely to post today.
Here's another one - 2 fish exploring, one at the top of the bag, the fourth still at the bottom of the bag.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2017, 01:50:23 PM »
Apologies for the quality of the pictures, but the tank is being kept dark today. I can't stop peeking in and taking pictures though.
The last fish was "encouraged" out of the bag and onto a piece of bogwood (wood coming out of water on left of first picture), so now all 4 are exploring the tank.
The first bit of territorial behaviour was witnessed (second picture) but no physical contact, so that was good.
This little fella (third picture) seems to be taking it all in his stride, and has found the cave at the back right of the tank, has explored most of the tank, and seems quite bold, even though he wasn't the dominant one in the shop tank (that was the fish in the second picture).
They are so cute running around the tank, and jumping to different bits of wood.
I can't wait until tomorrow when I can feed them.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2017, 02:39:23 PM »
Love your updates and pics, Donna, such unusual fish! Great to see and I look forward to seeing your progress  8) 8)  8)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Mudskipper tank or paludarium - Littlefish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
21 Replies
Last post August 28, 2016, 10:50:43 AM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post August 31, 2016, 08:25:00 AM
by Littlefish
14 Replies
Last post November 20, 2016, 08:51:54 PM
by Littlefish
37 Replies
Last post January 05, 2017, 08:01:05 AM
by fcmf
19 Replies
Last post March 05, 2017, 12:53:17 PM
by Littlefish
144 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 08:47:30 PM
by Littlefish
156 Replies
Last post April 09, 2018, 07:24:38 AM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: