Author Topic: Matt's pond  (Read 21976 times) 40 replies

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re: Matt's pond
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2018, 05:10:09 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
@ Matt & Daveyng have you ever seen these before i think they are amazing & hopefully when i get my pond set up next year i think i may invest in one.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ri3yIEqif8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ri3yIEqif8</a>

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2018, 11:26:55 AM »
I love those things, I enjoy being able to see the fish like that.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2018, 09:10:26 PM »
I will need my fish to get less shy before i consider one of those. They are slowly getting more condifence... but i think thats due to surface cover... I love the idea of them I'm just not convinced they would use it... (he says talking like its a new bike for a toddler)  ???

Pond temperature tonight (after having the evening sun) is between 21.5 and 22 degrees.

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 10:51:55 PM »
I haven’t seen this particular item, but I have seen variations of it. They were mainly cuboid in shape and were placed on a frame in the pond. They looked rather cool as the Koi one does.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Matt's pondn
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2019, 09:14:25 PM »
Unfortunately I have had news following the autumn leaf drop... the pond collected a huge amount of leaves this autumn and over time as these rotted in the pond the oxygen levels must have got lower and lower. I returned from a trip to see a cat staring into the pond... I chased it away immediately (as I always do when they are in my garden) and noticed a comet lying sideways at the surface barely moving. It had suffered with a fungal infection soon after purchase and I assume this was affecting it somehow, then I noticed another fish gasping near the surface. This is when I new something was wrong. Panic set in and I filled a plastic tub and rescued the fish into it... drained the pond, cleared out all the leaves (after realising the problem) and refilled all the while watching the fish recover quickly in the oxygen rich water from the tap (dechlotinator of course). Photo of some probably slightly dazed but much healthier fish in their temporary home below.

Both gudgeons unfortunately passed. As bottom dwellers they must have been the first to go.  :'( I had not seem them since they were introduced (and so they will not be replaced in summer) and so their passing went unnoticed as well unfortunately.

Needless to say the next weekend I went and bought a big pond net and have had a couple of sessions fishing out leaves since to keep on top of things.

What's good is the water clarity is also vastly improved and so I'm seeing more of the fish so I'm using this as an easy motivation to keep on top of things going forwards. I could of course use a net which I may still try next year, I just think they look so ugly though... so manual removal may be my preferred option.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2019, 03:02:57 PM »
Sorry about the sad news but well done for identifying and acting on the source of the problem as soon as you realised something was up and for working out a plan for the future. Thanks for allowing us to see your lovely goldfish - I have a very soft spot for goldfish as you know.  :D

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2019, 09:12:18 PM »
Amorous froggies...

Offline fcmf

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2019, 09:51:15 PM »
Indeed! Keep us posted of any developments.  :cheers:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2019, 10:18:34 PM »
Gosh, those frogs have been quite busy.  :o

Who doesn't love a pond full of tadpoles though, and I hope to see lots of pictures of them as they develop.  :cheers:

Offline Kwhite

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2019, 10:57:02 PM »
Hi Matt

Your pond is amazing :)
Our pond is full of frog spawn.... it's lovely when it's full of tadpoles  :)
our decking overlooks the pond and i love sitting out watching the fish and frogs with a cold one in the summer ;D

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
White Cloud Mountain Minnow (21) - Honey Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2019, 12:05:19 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Pond froggies!

Offline fcmf

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2019, 08:36:27 PM »
 8)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2019, 01:03:04 PM »
So cute.  ;D

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2023, 08:27:22 PM »
@fcmf I thought you might be interested to see this thread after discussions elsewhere so thought I would post this here…

A quick update copied from the other thread…I now only have 3 Comet Goldfish after one passed over winter (without much else to explain its loss other than it was cold)

I’ve added a (very poor quality) photo of my remaining inhabitants - a very pleasing mix of different colours. What I understand to be a canary yellow, standard goldfish, and a Shubunkin (a male with beautiful king fins). I might get a Waikin (which are double tailed) just to to continue the theme and add to the group.

I’ve had a problem with my filter recently - the flow rate had dropped over time (last 12+months) and suddenly it stopped alltogether just recently. Knowing that this isn’t a panic mode thing in winter for a pond I chose to trust the establish nature of the pond and calmly order a replacement impeller to see if that would fix the issue. It was a few days before it arrived, broken and a new one had to be sent. I’ve just fitted that replacement today and things are back up and running. I made sure to flush out any water in the filter which I had opened to let some oxygen in to keep the bacteria alive… regardless it didn’t smell great. I’ve added some bottled bacteria, some water conditioner, done a bit of a water change and given the filter a clean and everything seems to be just fine.

I still need to fix my leaky cascade / waterfall and am feeling particularly motivated to do this at the moment so hopefully I can claim some time (between looking after 2 kids) this summer to do this then is can be turned on more regularly.

I’m also planning to try a dwarf Lilly again (first one I got died after first year… I think I put it too deep in the pond) and a few more pond plants. My big marginal plant (sorry not sure on species) really suffered int he cold this year and I don’t know if it is going to grow back… time will tell.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2023, 08:37:27 PM »
Gorgeous fish!

Glad you've managed to fix the filter.

Looking forward to seeing further photos in the summer after fixing the leaky cascade/waterfall and the addition/resurrection of plants.

:fishy1:

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2023, 09:05:59 PM »

A quick update copied from the other thread…I now only have 3 Comet Goldfish after one passed over winter (without much else to explain its loss other than it was cold)

I’ve added a (very poor quality) photo of my remaining inhabitants - a very pleasing mix of different colours. What I understand to be a canary yellow, standard goldfish, and a Shubunkin (a male with beautiful king fins).

I’m confused. I see two standard goldies and a shub, but there’s also three comets?

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2023, 02:32:00 AM »
He he you are quite right if I’m honest I’d no idea what I had till today and have mistakenly called them comets since the day dot (I’ll blame the fish store just cos that’s an easy cop out!) your prompt got me Googling and I think I’ve finally got it!

So I think have two goldfish - one is the yellow colour morph (I can see they have the same scientific name in the site I was using) - and a shubunkin

No comets I guess … looks like they have much longer fins than mine.

Updated: Shubunkin have the same scientific name too so now I’m confused again…

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2023, 11:06:28 AM »
Goldfish come in different colours… red, orange, yellow, white, green, black(ish). And combinations. Fins can be clear, red, black, etc. (Most revert to plain red or orange with age).

Also as Shubs, multicoloured with a blue or whitish base colour.

Also as fancies, with their various distorted shapes, fins, eyes, hoods, and colours.

They’re all the same species, Carassius auratus.

A Comet is a “standard” goldfish (standard shape) with a long tail (hence “Comet”).

:)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2023, 06:58:32 PM »
That’s useful thanks @Hampalong

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2023, 04:00:02 PM »
Bit of an update - I went away for 7 weeks on holiday - everything fish wise was fine, all my feeders worked, we’re regularly checked by family etc etc EXCEPT the pond. I literally have no idea what happened… though I have theories I’m not sure they are worth dwelling on to be honest, the simple fact is when I came back everything in there was dead and very smelly.  :'(

I removed the things that had perished, drained the pond making sure to save the few tadpoles that were still doing ok, cleaned out the bottom (which I’ve seen a whole lot worse to be clear) and refilled. I actually did this twice to be on the safe side. I also cleaned out the filter. Then left it three weeks and (once I’d decided I did still want to be a pond keeper lol) given there’s been no signs of anything wrong, the water is crystal clear, and I’ve seen baby frogs and lots of mosquito larvae it was time to get fish. So x5 tiny goldfish have just entered the pond - very similar stocking to before with a variety of colour forms.  I also picked up a few additional plants. I’ll follow up with a photo when the rain stops!!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Matt's pond"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post November 26, 2014, 07:10:03 AM
by Richard W
5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2015, 07:32:26 PM
by Richard W
169 Replies
Last post February 17, 2020, 07:58:15 PM
by Littlefish
281 Replies
Last post September 03, 2023, 01:07:43 AM
by Matt
145 Replies
Last post April 11, 2022, 06:13:03 PM
by fcmf
20 Replies
Last post August 14, 2018, 10:08:36 PM
by fcmf
10 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 11:31:43 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: