Thanks Dave and Donna

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Matt's 220 litre Aquaoak
« Reply #162 on: July 10, 2018, 11:24:57 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Several of my tanks can be viewed from the side as well as the front, and it's quite nice to have that slightly different perspective.
Unfortunately I seem to be completely lacking in design/aquascaping skills. In theory I understand the different styles and designs, and I see other people aquascaping effortlessly, then wonder why my tanks don't look like that.
I have come to the conclusion that several of my tanks can't be aquascaped  - the axolotl tank, river tank, and mudskipper tanks - because the needs of the inhabitants, rather than the aesthetics, are the priority.
Time constraints are also an issue - with the number of tanks I sometimes find that pooh hoovering, picking out dead leaves, and water changes are as much as I can do.
However, in the chaos that is the reorganisation of tanks in the Littlefish house, I think I will start small and have a bash at aquascaping a tank for Kimi the betta within the next few months, and see how that turns out.  ???

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #163 on: July 10, 2018, 08:49:07 PM »
I'd be happy to help with this... just get in touch nearer the time with some ideas and we can go from there if you like?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #164 on: July 10, 2018, 09:41:30 PM »
Cheers.  :cheers:

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #165 on: August 28, 2018, 07:56:43 AM »
Some new additions today...

After the loss of all but 2 of my harlequins whilst I was away, the tank looked quite bare on the fish front and my stocking was at about 45%. I wanted a surface dweller ideally to fill a gap at the top of the tank, though was struggling to find any i liked (hatchetfish dont do it for me!) and  / or a smaller 2cm fish. I had galaxy rasboras at one point but they were very hidey and I didn't see much of them but I liked that they added another dimension to the tank amongst the mainly 3 cm fish. My honey gourami arnt really a surface dweller in my oppinion spending time through the whole tank... one is quite poorly too, it has a very large growth which developed shortly after I got it. I'm surprised it has lasted this long to be honest...

Anyway long story short now... I was deciding between chilli rasbora and ember tetra. I couldn't get the chilli rasbora in the numbers I wanted on the day which helped my decision making and I got ember tetras (impossible to photo). I am really glad I did! I have 12 and the schoal beautifully and are out and about and very active. Their colours also go great in the tank. Very happy. Ill get a decent photo at some point. I only have pictures of orange blurs at the moment...

I also got 6 dwarf pencil fish (that hurt my wallet a bit at £5 each) after seeing them in the shop and falling in love with them. I had seen hockeystick pencilfish and golden pencilfish before though they don't really stay near the surface like the dwarfs do, plus i find their colouration much more attractive. They settled in super quickly (as did the embers) and were eating half an hour after being put in the tank. They have been in the top third / quarter of the tank ever since as a little group making little adventures from their hidey hole near the vallis where there is some surface cover (I'm going to spread the vallis out a bit more for them) where they hover and display to each other regularly. Again I am very happy with my purchase! Photo attached.

Finally, I also got the golden eyed dwarf cichlids I had been on about in another thread. They have been quite hidey so far. Though I have seen them both out, when I approach the tank they quickly retreat. I'm sure they will be more comfortable after a night in their new home. The coloration of the male (the female is likely the same) I have observed to be very changeable, I have seen a dot a stripe and a general pattern across his side already and they are quite 'detailed' for example in comparison to the blue ram which whilst beautiful is essentially blue with a bit of orange near it's head, these are like a rainbow of colours. I will get some good photos of them in different moods and post them here soon.  More to come on these guys as they settle in!

The tank looks nicely stocked again (back up at 75% stocked) oh and I changed the layout recently too so there will be some full frontal shots to come of that too... I've basically changed it from an island layout to a triangular "slope" layout.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #166 on: August 28, 2018, 08:22:19 AM »
WoW matt what some lovely looking fish, I have to say i really like the look of them  :) 

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #167 on: August 28, 2018, 09:29:08 AM »
These pencilfish are one of my favourites, I love the way they hover in the water  :) 

If you think they were expensive, you should see the price of the related N. mortenthaleri  :o

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #168 on: August 28, 2018, 09:40:49 AM »
They're lovely, their markings are stunning.

Offline Sue

« Reply #169 on: August 28, 2018, 09:42:19 AM »
When I posted a pic of mine on the old forum, someone described them as humbugs. To me they look more like everton mints  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #170 on: August 28, 2018, 09:52:28 AM »
 :rotfl:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #171 on: August 28, 2018, 10:21:19 AM »
These pencilfish are one of my favourites, I love the way they hover in the water  :) 

If you think they were expensive, you should see the price of the related N. mortenthaleri  :o

If it's any consolation, the price of annieae gobies is  :yikes:

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #172 on: August 28, 2018, 06:21:50 PM »
Most expensive fish I've bought was a £25 German Blue Ram... I'm just a bit tight really (or so my friends tell me!)...

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #173 on: August 28, 2018, 06:27:06 PM »
Here is a photo of the tank  :D

I'll get some better shots and some close ups and some of the other new fish soon...

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #174 on: August 28, 2018, 07:26:55 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I managed to get a couple of shots of the golden eyes at feeding time... not the best photos but I know most of you are probably more interested in the fish than the photo so here goes...

Male in the first photo and female (and some other guys and girls in the second).

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #175 on: August 28, 2018, 07:32:38 PM »
Wow - these new additions are such an exciting development!  :fishy1:  :fishy1:  :fishy1: So envious of the full-tank pic and the various species you can accommodate, and indeed all of the pics, but the pic of the pencilfish is particularly amazing.

Looking forward to seeing pics of the embers once you're able to.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #176 on: August 28, 2018, 07:42:58 PM »
All fantastic. Well done.  :cheers:

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #177 on: September 03, 2018, 07:58:54 PM »
My honey gourami arnt really a surface dweller in my oppinion spending time through the whole tank... one is quite poorly too, it has a very large growth which developed shortly after I got it. I'm surprised it has lasted this long to be honest...

That gourami passed quite suddenly and seemingly quite peacefully last night (after looking 'a bit off' esterday night. Im quite gald really.

I realised I have all South American apart from the remaining gourami and harlequins. I'll have to look up where all my plants are from. I don't think there will be any similarities!

Offline Sue

« Reply #178 on: September 03, 2018, 08:04:12 PM »
If you still have the gobies, they are not south American either. Neither are a lot of shrimps  ;D

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #179 on: September 03, 2018, 08:14:21 PM »
I do still have the gobies... forgot about them for a second. I was hoping to move them to the puffer tank for a while but since I've now managed to stop them brining the planting substrate out into the sand, they can stay! I do love their characters :) they are not peaceful though! Constant fighting!! Are yours the same?

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Matt's 220 litre Aquaoak"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
169 Replies
Last post February 17, 2020, 07:58:15 PM
by Littlefish
76 Replies
Last post July 24, 2016, 06:57:06 PM
by Fiona
20 Replies
Last post August 14, 2018, 10:08:36 PM
by fcmf
79 Replies
Last post February 12, 2021, 08:30:06 PM
by Matt
Matt's pond

Started by Matt « 1 2 3 » Gallery Showcase

40 Replies
Last post July 19, 2023, 12:14:44 PM
by fcmf
27 Replies
Last post February 24, 2020, 07:28:40 PM
by Littlefish
10 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 11:31:43 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: