Matt's 220 Litre Aquaoak

Author Topic: Matt's 220 litre Aquaoak  (Read 54730 times) 281 replies

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Matt's 220 litre Aquaoak
« Reply #140 on: April 09, 2018, 05:04:55 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Wow, your tank is gorgeous. You really do have a talent for aquascaping. Mine is definitely more jungle!

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #141 on: April 09, 2018, 07:20:13 PM »
Thanks everyone  :cheers:

Just one piece of anubias to put back today so my planting seems to have been successful.  The gobies have decided they wanted more aquasoil on the sand than in my original photo so this will need putting back too... pesky things...

Can't wait for the vallis to spread and grow, I really like how it looks which has surprised me and it is providing some interest at the surface for the gouramis.

I will have to see if I can make it through the weekend without buying more fish... not sure that will happen...  :))

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #142 on: April 09, 2018, 07:55:54 PM »
Well done on your tank "faffing" - it looks absolutely amazing; you clearly have a natural talent for aquascaping. Congrats also on the plant growth.

As for the red plants, what might be more palatable to Mrs Matt would be some plants which are green and red (eg the underside being one colour and the top another colour) or else where some leaves grow through as brown/red, positioned beside some red plants, so that the change in colour when the eyes are looking at/across the tank is gradual rather than dramatic. Hope that suggestion might be a feasible option for you / Mrs Matt.

[Edited to add some pics to illustrate above - please excuse dusting of plants due to red-coloured root tabs' upheaval and/or brown diatoms, as well as other decay/plant problems! Turn your head to left to view second one - it tries to capture both sides of the hemiographis colorata plant plus a (decaying) alternanthera rosaefolia in the background.]

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #143 on: April 09, 2018, 08:46:23 PM »
I think I need a plant that will grow slightly red once planted rather than one that is is red when purchased... Ill not be likely to maintain a super red plant as my tank is not high tech enough... these do look quite garish in the shops to be fair. There are a few ludwigia that might work and also seem to have the red underside to the leaves that you mention fcmf...

Oh dear... I'll be plotting another tank soon. " I'm just buying these emergency glass panels in case..."

Actually I think I might be able to wangle a tank size upgrade if I go about it the right way for the dwarf puffers...

:vcross:

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #144 on: April 09, 2018, 09:30:39 PM »
For a plant that starts green, try rotala rotundiflora.

http://tropica.com/en/plants/plantdetails/Rotalarotundifolia(033)/4447

I have this as a background plant in my tank. It is relatively slow growing for a stem plant and it only turns red with lots of light - in my tank it turns pink as it reaches the surface because I have pretty low light.

Offline TopCookie

• aka: Pierre
« Reply #145 on: April 09, 2018, 10:20:44 PM »
That Rotala is lovely...   ;)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #146 on: April 10, 2018, 04:12:50 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I'll be keeping an eye out for that! Thanks @Helen That does look perfect for what I'm after  :afro

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #147 on: April 10, 2018, 08:15:33 AM »

Oh dear... I'll be plotting another tank soon. " I'm just buying these emergency glass panels in case..."

Actually I think I might be able to wangle a tank size upgrade if I go about it the right way for the dwarf puffers...

:vcross:

Possible tank upgrade for dwarf puffers....are you considering getting a larger group of the tiny bundles of adorableness?  ;D

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #148 on: April 10, 2018, 10:23:23 AM »
....are you considering getting a larger group of the tiny bundles of adorableness?  ;D

:rotfl:

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #149 on: April 10, 2018, 08:41:15 PM »
Well the tank is on a larger cabinet now... so obviously it just makes sense to put a larger tank to fill the larger space..... am I convincing you??

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #150 on: April 10, 2018, 09:21:07 PM »
I, personally, would never need convincing on the topic of a larger tank.
However, if I were the non-fishkeeping half of a partnership, yes, I would think that getting a tank to fill the top of the cabinet would be perfectly reasonable. No point in having all of that empty space around the tank, especially when that space could be filled with dwarf puffers.  ;D

Offline fcmf

« Reply #151 on: April 10, 2018, 10:26:36 PM »
Well the tank is on a larger cabinet now... so obviously it just makes sense to put a larger tank to fill the larger space..... am I convincing you??
Absolutely! Having said that, my 54-litre tank is on top of a longish cabinet but it clearly stated that max weight/load is 50kg, so I daren't risk it any more than that. :yikes: Hmmm - in my case, maybe time to look at other sturdier cabinets for the living-room. ;)

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #152 on: April 10, 2018, 10:35:16 PM »
lolol you guys...   :rotfl:

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #153 on: April 11, 2018, 07:07:46 AM »
When I took the tank of the old cabinet there was a lot of water damage on the surface of the wooden cabinet. Where the tank rested on the wood. I thinks over time bits of water trickling down the outside (probably as a rsult of me being messy at water change time) have reached the bottom and spread like a coffee mug ring around the base of the tank. Just be prepared for that if you ever want to move a tank... the cabinet was ruined. I'm going to have to sand off the top and try to 're wax it or something... turn my hand to furniture restoration!

Offline fcmf

« Reply #154 on: April 11, 2018, 08:00:17 AM »
If you manage to get the cabinet fixed, or if you have to buy a new one for the fishtank, then it might be worth having a glass panel on top to protect it. My fishtank is on top of a unit bought at the same time and specifically because it came with this protective glass panel https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/storage-furniture/shelving-units-systems/best%C3%A5-top-panel-glass-white-art-20196529/ As far as I can recollect from 3.5 years ago, that was the only protective glass panel in stock ie they didn't make different-sized panels for different purposes or pieces of furniture - but I'm sure something similar could be bought from elsewhere. That's not to say that there isn't water damage on the doors and shelves underneath from water changes when, regardless of how many towels I have draped around, I seem to drench everything (including myself) and don't always get to wipe up the spills immediately.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #155 on: April 29, 2018, 11:06:45 PM »
Rescaped a little today to make things look a bit more balanced. Previous scape I was never happy with as one side was too different to the other.  I did this to hide inlet and outlet of the filter. They are a bit more visible now, but the tank looks a lot better overall.  Pushed all the tall plants to the back so the smaller planta can be seen more near the front and added a subtly red plant (rotala rotundifolia) to the front middle.  Java fern was laargely removed... it kept producing little farnlets on the leaves which killed off the old leaves. So all new baby leaves were  bunched together to start again. I'll be picking them off asap from now on.  Still a lot of tidying up to do but here a piccy so show what I have done...

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #156 on: April 29, 2018, 11:14:42 PM »
Looks brill Matt...  :)   I liked it before anyhoo, but I agree that the balance overall looks better now... 

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #157 on: April 30, 2018, 12:51:53 AM »
It looks really good. I always enjoy seeing pictures of your tank. Your style of aquascaping is so different to mine (tidier).

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #158 on: July 09, 2018, 11:51:59 AM »
The Amazon swords had got far too big on the left and right sides. I have got rid of a lot of the larger leaves and moved them to the middle. Took the opportunity to fiddle with the planting layout given some of the tips I'd been working up for an article on my website.  Looks a lot better I think.  Though I need to fiddle with the wood on the left hand side at some point as it doesn't look like it is all one piece at the moment. The best layouts have the wood all eminating from one point as this obviously looks more natural ( or you can do it from two points if you have a concave layout where you have a mound on both sides of the tank ) hopefully that makes sense?

Anyway here's a photo...

I will take one of the LHS later which is also vastly improved as this is one angle I view the tank from.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #159 on: July 09, 2018, 02:32:51 PM »
Looks great  8)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Matt's 220 litre Aquaoak"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
169 Replies
Last post February 17, 2020, 07:58:15 PM
by Littlefish
76 Replies
Last post July 24, 2016, 06:57:06 PM
by Fiona
20 Replies
Last post August 14, 2018, 10:08:36 PM
by fcmf
79 Replies
Last post February 12, 2021, 08:30:06 PM
by Matt
Matt's pond

Started by Matt « 1 2 3 » Gallery Showcase

40 Replies
Last post July 19, 2023, 12:14:44 PM
by fcmf
27 Replies
Last post February 24, 2020, 07:28:40 PM
by Littlefish
10 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 11:31:43 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: