Matt's 220 Litre Aquaoak

Author Topic: Matt's 220 litre Aquaoak  (Read 54734 times) 281 replies

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Matt's 220 litre Aquaoak
« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2018, 09:47:01 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
My Seneye hasn't shown me any daily variation in ammonia levels in my tank. Interestingly there wasn't even an increase when I added the barbs and I think that worked out as about 50% stock increase. My Seneye measures 'free ammonia' (NH3) in increments of 0.002 so with a level starting around 0.030 before I added the barbs, it didn't even go up to 0.032. You might not see anything @Matt , especially if your plants are visibly growing.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2018, 09:47:45 AM »
It is the conversion of CO2 and water into carbohydrates (photosynthesis) which needs light. The processing of ammonia into amino acids and on to proteins, and other nitrogenous compounds, is not light driven, that just requires energy from the breakdown of carbohydrates into CO2 and water (respiration).
Plants must take up ammonia 24 hours a day or those people with heavily planted tanks (few bacteria in these) would wake up to fish gasping in ammonia laden water.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2018, 10:21:29 AM »
That's interesting @Sue  and makes more sense than my comments above... I did start wondering after i posted that about the impact of fluctuating ammonia levels on the fish!  Great to have such a knowledgeable community here where I can post silly things without too much shame coming from it!!

Good to have @Helen direct experience when increasing stocking in a planted tank... that gives me some confidence I've made the right decision.

Thanks both  :cheers:

Offline Sue

« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2018, 11:23:08 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
It helps that I have studied biochemistry  :) The uni I went to had an unusual degree structure so I studied chemistry, biochemistry and zoology equally in year 1; chemistry and biochemistry in a 2:1 ratio in year 2; and just chemistry in year 3.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2018, 01:26:23 PM »
3 new and 1 existing goby added :)

The goby from MA Wigan were huge too, basically fully grown, so my little guy is going to go from tank ruler to smallest fish...

Catching him was a nightmare too... I left algae wafers in a jug and a net... both of which he ignored! Ended up on permanent 'goby watch' in shifts with Mrs Matt and chasing him round the tank any time he came out...

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #105 on: January 27, 2018, 10:57:56 PM »
Schoaling species numbers successfully increased.  I now have 6 harlequins and 6 cardinal tetra (is a slightly odd mixture of sizes!). 

I also picked up 6 rummy nose tetras which have been schoaling beautifully this afternoon.  I have wanted rummy nose for a long time now.  They look so much more impressive in the tank then they did in the little tank at the LFS... they are all swimming in a tight group back and forth across the front of the tank. 

:fishy1:    :fishy1:
              :fishy1:
   :fishy1:    :fishy1:
           :fishy1:

The new harlequins almost seem to have a thin white 'neon' stripe (like on a black neon tetra) above the black "lambchop"... not sure if I'm making this up, or if it will fade with age but they certainly look very impressive.

The store has some really nice honey gourami in which are a gorgeous deep orange colour so 2 of these were picked up as well.

I'll get some photos of all of these tomorrow.

Next weekend I will get 2 more of each of the schoaling species to bring the numbers up to 8, and 2 more gourami.  I will then be about 70% stocked and I don't think I will want to go much further than that.

Unfortunately there has been one casualty.. the golden ram never looked quite right and it had an "off day" on Wed, was fine Thursday, back to behaving strangely on Friday and unfortunately it died overnight. The other rams are doing fine and I think this was just a poorly fish from the store, these bred colour forms of the rams are known to be weak genetically also.

In other news, I have also been using the new "theaquascaper complete liquid plant food" and must say it is doing wonders for the plant which are now growing faster than I've ever   :))  I would definitely recommend it. It even comes with a little syringe to dose it accurately.  You will probably be able to see the growth in tomorrow's photo.

Finally, I have also fitted a light into the cabinet below the tank as it can be very hard to see what you're doing in there, possibly due for the depth and the contrastingly bright lights above it.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2018, 08:35:20 AM »
Great update, you have been very busy.
Can't wait to see lots of pics.  ;D
Sorry to hear about your golden ram though.

Offline Sue

« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2018, 11:07:03 AM »
Deep orange honey gouramis - was the tank labelled with the colour morph? Deep orange sounds like two males of the natural colour. If they are two males, make sure the next ones are females.
Honeys are fine with more than 1 male in a tank this size  :)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2018, 11:31:51 AM »
Yes it is two males Sue, they were labelled as red honey gourami.  I will indeed be getting two females next week, I have been perusing my LFSs to find them and there are some in Preston with the right body colouring and find shape.

General tank photo attached. You should be able to see the plant growth :)

I'll try and get some of the fish later... I can't get anything decent at the moment as they are too fast for me!

Offline Sue

« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2018, 11:44:00 AM »
If they are red ones, that does make sexing a bit trickier.
I have 1 male natural colour - he is definitely a male as he is bright copper with a very black throat - and two females which are both beige with a brown line down each side. They are both definitely females because after the first male died and the tank was male-less for a couple of months neither of them developed male colouring. The females have longer pointier fins than the male  :o  Though I suppose he could just be younger and not fully mature yet.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2018, 12:11:34 PM »
Here's a photo @Sue

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2018, 12:13:50 PM »
What a beauty.

Offline Fishbeard

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Bearded Fish Forum User
« Reply #112 on: January 28, 2018, 12:14:38 PM »
He's a lovely looking fish. :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2018, 12:15:09 PM »
I agree, lovely fish  :)

It does have the feeling of being male. I can't really explain why.  ???

Another way it is said to tell the difference - look at the anal fin. In a male, the end of it goes out towards the tail ad curves back in.With a female it is supposed to straighter.

Look at their behaviour. Males will be out and about all over the tank. Females spend a lot of their time pootling round. It is quite hard to explain but I can often tell the males from the females in a shop tank by the way they behave. But then I have kept honey gouramis for 15, maybe 16 years so I am very familiar with them.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #114 on: January 28, 2018, 12:59:19 PM »
Very handsome.  :fishy1:

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #115 on: January 28, 2018, 03:30:52 PM »
Thanks for sharing your updates - much appreciated, although sad news about the golden ram. Interesting feedback on that liquid plant food - note to self, for when current supplies run out.

I now have 6 harlequins and 6 cardinal tetra (is a slightly odd mixture of sizes!).
Within a few weeks of being in the QT, my harlequins had quite a size variation - 4 larger, 2 smaller. The situation has remained like this for the past 2.5+ years. I seem to recollect that sizes can vary, depending on the location they're originally from.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2018, 07:21:45 PM »
Cleaned out the filter for the first time today, giving the sponges a good squeeze in old tank water.  Quite a but of muck was produced. I think it is worse with the tank being new - everything seems to have stabilised a lot more now so hopefully it was the right time to do the clean. The Eden filter was very easy to clean and reprime now I know what I'm doing. Only problem is the bottom sponge can't be removed without the ceramic media being disturbed.  I just gave it a good squash whilst in place and tipped the manky water out afterwards. 

I've not added any fish this weekend. I need to get used to the number of fish in there. I think because I have all nano species it seems like there is a lot going on in there as there are a lot of individual fish.  I probably wont be expanding the numbers of schoalers any more until I get used to it all.  Love the tank as it is so no need to rush! I do really like the idea of agassizi cichlids though!!... I also want to get a tall piece of wood to go on the middle left to balance it out a bit with the right hand side.  There is a gap behind the existing wood here which it will fit well into.

The hygrophila is going redy brown on top given the liquid co2, lights, better ferts etc etc. A flower spike has grown up from the aponogetum and reached the surface in just the last 2 days! I have lots of baby java ferns growing on the bigger leaves too.

Offline Sue

« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2018, 07:25:38 PM »
Word of caution - it is not a good idea to have more than one species of cichlid in a tank and you already have rams........

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #118 on: February 04, 2018, 07:39:06 PM »
Ok thanks Sue  :fishy1:

I thought you just had to avoid mixing cichlids from different parts of the world?

Offline Sue

« Reply #119 on: February 04, 2018, 07:46:33 PM »
Cichlids from different continents are a definite no because they don't understand each other's signals. But male cichlids are territorial and one male will consider the whole of the bottom of your tank as his territory. A newcomer would not be permitted in this territory.
If you had a 6 or 8 foot tank, it might be do-able but I wouldn't risk it in anything smaller.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Matt's 220 litre Aquaoak"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
169 Replies
Last post February 17, 2020, 07:58:15 PM
by Littlefish
76 Replies
Last post July 24, 2016, 06:57:06 PM
by Fiona
20 Replies
Last post August 14, 2018, 10:08:36 PM
by fcmf
79 Replies
Last post February 12, 2021, 08:30:06 PM
by Matt
Matt's pond

Started by Matt « 1 2 3 » Gallery Showcase

40 Replies
Last post July 19, 2023, 12:14:44 PM
by fcmf
27 Replies
Last post February 24, 2020, 07:28:40 PM
by Littlefish
10 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 11:31:43 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: