See less of these, become a Super Subscriber today!

Matt's 64 Litre Tank

Author Topic: Matt's 64 litre tank  (Read 9474 times)

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Hero Think Fishy Member
Re: Matt's 64 litre tank
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2017, 08:16:54 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I agree - the tank looks fantastic now and I have 'rewarded' you with a well-deserved vote.  :cheers:

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2017, 05:22:11 PM »
Thanks both, much appreciated.

:cheers:
 :fishy1:

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2017, 07:08:10 AM »
FINAL PUSH!!

It's going well so far, and I'm still in the top three, anyone else who'd be willing to offer their support and vote for my tank?

Slightly different photo below...

I decided to have another go at this, so as before, any support you would be able to offer me would be much appreciated :)

I'm fairly confident the tank has improved dramatically since February when I first changed the scape... hope you agree!

https://fishkeeper.co.uk/gallery/

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2017, 07:11:18 PM »
I'm pretty sure I came in second position against an admittedly stunning photo of a pair of discus. You can see this on the website now in the Gallery section.

So close but yet so far, thanks for those who supported my submission  :cheers:

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2017, 10:54:14 PM »
You might have noticed an addition to my tank in my signature...

;D  Gobies!!  ;D

More accurately... Stiphodon semoni, the Cobolt Blue Goby.

Pictures to follow in the morning when everyone is a little more settled in. Algae wafer went down a treat this evening though so I've got high hopes for them both. I got them from Maidenhead aquatics in Wigan which is a recent discovery. The tropical fish section is HUGE. Much bigger than in any other store I've visited more locally, plus the staff are really friendly, and real fish people rather than just sales people. Thanks to being right next to the M6 it also doesn't take me any longer to get too. 

In other news I've also had a bit of a rearrange in the tank.  :yikes:
It was quite a spur of the moment thing following one of my regular deep cleans when the wood comes out of the tank and rocks are moved out of the way so everything can be thoroughly gravel vacced. Basically I have split one part of the wood away from the rest (it was always three pieces) and pushed all the wood into the corners meaning there is now more open swimming space for the fish. So rather than an island layout I now have a more traditional ' U shape' aquascaping layout ( for those of you into aquascaping ;) ). 
I will admit that I probably preferred the look of the tank originally but the fish definitely prefer the new look. The contrast of hiding spaces and open areas has given them much more confidence and I see a lot more of the fish now.  Clearly the old addage that if you give the fish more hiding spaces they will spend more time out in the open is very true.  The otto which normally only gets seen once in a blue moon is now out every evening.  I believe I have also created more opportunity for territories to be formed for the rams and gobys which is also keeping them happier.  So the new look is here to stay. I'll post pictures soon, possibly next weekend, it's not quite camera ready yet  ::)
I am planning to take things a step further soon too as even before I changed the layout, I really wanted to get rid of the marble pebbles and instead move to dragon stone. I have now also realised that this rock with its "pot holed" texture will be brilliant for the gobys to provide further hiding places/places to rest and more surface area for algae to grow.

Oh and I think I might be getting a 220l aquaoak for Xmas!...  :cheers:

Offline Helen

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2017, 11:47:07 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Your tank is beautiful. You have a real talent for aquascaping (imho). I can't wait to see photos of the new layout.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2017, 02:23:38 PM »
This is all very exciting, @Matt - congrats on the gobies, the promising-sounding new layout (all very interesting) and the forthcoming larger tank (very envious!).

Incidentally, have you ever visited Pier Aquatics in Wigan? I see adverts for it quite regularly.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2017, 07:02:01 PM »
I haven't been there no... I'm based up in Lancaster so to get to Pier Aquatics would take an hour... I'm sure I will manage to go in one day when I'm in the area. I've tried Aquahome in Leyland which also gets brilliant reviews. I wasn't hugely impressed to be honest... a lot of dead fish and a cramped store... staff not as friendly as elsewhere either...

I seem to have one overactive goby and one very timid goby.  They are such unusually bad looking swimmers, flapping their fins and not getting anywhere then they land, twist their long bodies and lift their head as if to say "I'm cute and you know it". I've never just sat and watched the tank for so long!!

Ill try and get some photos now... gobys only... Ill leave the tank photos till next weekend when things have settled in a bit.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2017, 08:34:35 PM »
Here we go...

:cheers:

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2017, 09:00:03 AM »
Are the photos of the same fish? All three photos show a male stiphodon. According to Seriously Fish, stiphodons should be kept with 1 male to a tank, though you can have as many females as will fit.

However....
I bought 6 "indie blue" gobies, which are either S. semoni or A. atropurpureus. They turned out to be 4 males, 2 females. I lost one male in the filter bracket incident, and I found one of the females dead. I did manage to get another female but that still leaves me with 3m 2f.
The males don't fight, or I should say they've never fought when I've been looking in the tank. When there was just one female, she did get chased a bit but that seems to have stopped now there are 2 females.

Offline Littlefish

• Super Subscriber!
  • aka Donna
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2017, 09:17:57 AM »
Don't they have the most adorable little faces.
Lovely.  :)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2017, 07:48:15 PM »
@Sue Yes the photos are all of the male,  I have a female as well but she is incredibly shy at the moment and whilst she does occasionally come out of her hidey hole, it hasn't been long enough for me to get a decent picture.. yet...    I'm just hopeful she is funding enough to eat whilst she is settling in  :-\

Offline fcmf

« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2017, 08:58:17 PM »
Very cute.
:D

Looking forward to seeing the female too, once she's settled in.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2017, 09:49:01 PM »
My 5 get half an Omega One veggie round, crushed to small bits, once a day. Of course they may also eat the sinking pellets and flakes I feed the other fish. And then there's all the algae that grows in my tank. They seem to do well on whatever it is they are actually eating. I've had 4 or my 5 about a year so they are eating something  :)
Provided you do feed something veggie or there is algae in your tank they should be OK.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2017, 08:23:33 PM »
I managed to get a look at the female today Sue who looks white thin, she is still hiding away nearly all the time.  Any suggestions to get her feeding?  I'm going to try some cucumber tomorrow. I've put the algae flakes in just before lights out in the hope she might get them to herself tonight...

Offline fcmf

« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2017, 08:33:32 PM »
If these http://dennerle.com/en/products/nano-aquarium/feeding-minerals-vitamins/food-dwarf-crayfish/shrimp-king-snail-stixx were suitable, I'm more than happy to send you some in the mail as I have plenty of them.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2017, 08:35:00 PM »
I don't know if stiphodons eat cucumber as I haven't tried it. I do know that the dominant male in my tank chases the other stiphodons away from the algae wafer if I leave it whole. So mine must like my algae wafers. I now break the wafer into tiny bits so all the fish get chance to eat some.

Are your algae flakes floating ones? If they are, don't forget to soak them so they sink faster.

fcmf - they should be fine for stiphodons.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2017, 08:40:55 PM »
I'm doing the same Sue, breaking up an algae wafer, or rather a couple of bits off an algae wafer. Sorry not sure why I used the word flake! Apparently you can get mini algae wafers which I'll look out for next time I buy them, though the current pack I have looks like it will last forever!

Offline fcmf

« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2017, 08:45:38 PM »
Apparently you can get mini algae wafers which I'll look out for next time I buy them, though the current pack I have looks like it will last forever!
I have a pack of mini algae wafers, which also looks as though it will last forever - happy to send you some of these as well as some Snail Stixx, so no need to buy any just yet!

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2017, 08:56:42 PM »
Thanks fcmf you're very kind :cheers:

To be honest I don't think the food I'm offering is the problem as the other goby goes mad for it (as do the rams... but then again they will eat anything).

I'll put another couple of bits of algae wafer in the tank in the morning when any Malaysian Trumpets Snail activity should be minimal too and see if that gives her a better chance...

Offline fcmf

« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2017, 09:01:42 PM »
Have you tried soaking the algae wafer in some crushed garlic juices to help stimulate her appetite?

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2017, 09:04:44 PM »
I wasn't sure if that would work for gobies... can't hurt I suppose...  do I just crush a couple of cloves and put the wafer in with the crushed garlic for a bit, quick rinse, then into the tank??

Offline fcmf

« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2017, 09:31:48 PM »
Yes, that should be fine. You probably don't even need to rinse as it might dilute the garlic. However, I always advise erring on the side of caution / under-dosing when trying something new, so you could try the quick rinse on the first occasion. If that doesn't work in stimulating her appetite, then you could try it without rinsing on the next occasion.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2017, 09:51:41 PM »
Heres how things were looking tonight...

That femal goby is still doing ok... I'm tentatively going to say shes fattening up but it's probably a bit soon to feel confident yet. Still see very little of her.

Offline Helen

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2017, 12:21:10 AM »
Your tank is so beautiful. I can't stop looking at it.

Don't be surprised if you see some elements in my finished tank. (If you've not changed yours again before I finish!)  :o

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2017, 10:07:44 PM »
Thanks @Helen

Offline fcmf

« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2017, 10:26:38 PM »
Hope she does ok/improves.  I agree with how lovely your tank looks - and how healthy/luscious and algae-free your plant leaves are (I'm envious).

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2017, 06:12:57 AM »
I found her again yesterday and initially thought she had passed... eventually she moved... I'm not sure she's got long left  :(  apparently it's not uncommon for gobies to come into stores in this way following the stress of capture...

Algae has decreased recently following a move from weekly fertiliser dosing to daily. @fcmf it sounds like you need an algae eater in your tank! (Ref your poll!) Have you also considered shrimp?

Offline Littlefish

• Super Subscriber!
  • aka Donna
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2017, 09:19:54 AM »
Sorry to hear that your female goby is not doing well.  :(

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2017, 07:31:19 PM »
@Sue I dont suppose you've any other thoughts from your experexperience with gobies?

My wife saw the female today and apparently it was chased away by the male...

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2017, 07:40:26 PM »
It could be the male chasing her. Any chance of getting another female or two? When I had just one female, the males all chased her but now I have 2 females, they don't seem to bother.
I did lose one of the original two females, I found her dead one day during a water change.

But I did notice that a lot of the gobies in the shop tank looked very thin; I wouldn't buy any that were thin and waited till they got more in. Some of them looked like just a head with a bit of string attached. I wonder if it's like otos, they starve between being caught and us buying them.
Did the shop worker catch them easily? The ones I have buried themselves in the gravel on the bottom of the tank as soon as the net went in the tank and I can imagine it would be very easy to cause internal damage during netting.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2017, 08:25:05 PM »
Algae has decreased recently following a move from weekly fertiliser dosing to daily. @fcmf it sounds like you need an algae eater in your tank! (Ref your poll!) Have you also considered shrimp?
I wouldn't trust my female x-ray tetras with shrimp.

I do hope your female improves ultimately, however you go about it - Sue's suggestion sounds a good plan.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2017, 06:06:56 PM »
Oh and I think I might be getting a 220l aquaoak for Xmas!

It's finally happening... 220ltr aquaoak purchased today (theres a sale on!)!

;D ;D ;D

Its a three month waiting list apparently though...  :'(  Still... plenty of time for some planning! I'll start a new thread to cover this!

At some point I'll need to decide what I'm going to do with this tank. I'll likely keep it going in one form or another. Possibly temperate river manifold, possibly planted with gobies, possibly shrimp only... who knows! Open to suggestions  :cheers:

Goby is holding in there for the time being - unfortunately I dont have the stocking capacity at the moment to add another female.  Theres plenty of hiding spaces in the tank so I'm hoping that as she builds her strength I'll see more of her.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2017, 06:42:43 PM »
Yes, re the sale, so I noticed - I was browsing the tanks online for what I would purchase if only I had the space.  ::)
Delighted for you, though - :cheers: - and, indeed, the waiting time can be put to profitable use in making decisions on stocking. In your new thread on that, don't forget to remind us of your water parameters, so that we can suggest suitable inhabitants.

All the best with the goby - it may be a matter of weighing up whether an additional female goby is actually ultimately the better option even if it does mean the tank is marginally overstocked.

Offline Fishbeard

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2017, 08:54:14 PM »

Very pleased for you and not at all jealous! Especially with the pictures of your 64l tank already, I'm sure the new one will be a sight to behold.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2017, 09:38:15 PM »
That's the best time to buy a tank - in a sale  :)

The delay will give you plenty of time to decide what you want to do with this one.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2017, 06:29:35 PM »
Unfortunately the goby passed this evening. Hardly ever saw it then there is was in the in middle of the tank the wrong way up... :'(

I'm putting it down to internal dammage/stress of the move. My wife has told me that the guy in the shop was extremely rough with catching her. (I got distracted by the other fish!!)  The fish didn't look in bad condition externally. I dont think the other goby bullied it to death as there is plenty of algae and stuff in the tank for it to feed on qnd plenty of hiding places for the two to keep apart. Having had a think about how a fish behaves when poorly ('sulking' and hiding/resting in plants etc) this very much fitted with the behaviour of the goby be it all based at floor level. It barely moved when I moved a rock the other day to find it for example and if scared of the male it would have darted. I also believe it was also thin when we bought it as it looked so thin a few days after so may have been hurt during previous purchases at he store...

I'll be adding more in the 220 ltr as i still think they are real cuties  :D

Offline fcmf

« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2017, 06:56:46 PM »
Very sorry to read of this, @Matt - it did sound as though it was just a matter of time before this eventuality occurred but at least you did your best and gave her the opportunity to recuperate. Although very difficult when a fish dies, hopefully you feel reassured that it seems to have been factors outside your control - perhaps you can relax a little rather than peering in anxiously every so often to see how she's faring.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2017, 06:57:08 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that. But they are very tricky to catch, and internal damage is a possibility.

And yes they are cute  :)

Offline Littlefish

• Super Subscriber!
  • aka Donna
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2017, 02:35:10 PM »
Sorry to hear about your goby.  :(
They are adorable little fish, and more in your new tank would be lovely.  :)

See less of these, become a Super Subscriber today!

See less of these, become a Super Subscriber today (see below)

** Become a ThinkFish Super Subscriber **

It takes time and money to keep ThinkFish going, if you'd like to help, then a one off Donation or a Subscription of your choice would be fantastic. Starting from less than 2p per day; your subscription will help fund new articles, pay for server costs and help fund development and promotion initiatives, helping us bring you more of the good stuff you love! You'll also see less ads. Why not become a Super Subscriber today!?
Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby

Tropical Fish Help and Advice
Tropical Fish Keeping Community
General Non-Fishkeeping Chat
Legal | Contact
SEO Services in Kent
Follow Think Fish on: