Pearl Gouramis

Author Topic: Pearl gouramis  (Read 9264 times) 14 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Pearl gouramis
« on: February 18, 2020, 03:51:53 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
After admiring these fish for a long time, I finally bought some. Because my quarantine tank is small I had to but them in 2 batches. The first batch of 3 was 1 male, 1 female and 1 which looked female in the shop but in the quarantine tank I couldn't be certain. The second batch was 2 females. They came from different branches of Maidenhead Aquatics.

I have had problems trying to take photos of them, not helped by the huge roots hanging from a few mature water sprite plants. I'm afraid these are the best I could manage  :-[ They are fairly new to the tank and quite skittish, I'll try and take some better photos when they are less skittish, whenever that is.

Yes, I do have 2 filters. I used to have just one but the motor stopped working. I had a smaller version of the same filter in the cupboard from a tank a shut down a few years ago so I put the pump head from that on the filter in the tank. Then rather than buy a new pump for it, I bought a (cheaper) second small one and split the media baskets between the two. The combined flow rate is about the same as the original filter on its own.

The first photo is the undecided female and half of the definite male.
The second is the male and some water sprite roots.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Pearl gouramis
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 04:15:27 PM »
I think the photos are good. Although the full fishes may not be in them, the body parts that are captured in the photo are of sufficiently good quality and without any blurring to appreciate how beautiful these fish are - stunning, in fact.  8) :cheers: :afro

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 07:05:33 PM »
Hi @Sue

When I kept Pearl Gouramis, they used to fascinate me with their 'feelers' which, I think, are elongated pectoral fins. They would check out anything new that was added to the tank. For example, a piece of driftwood. A quick touch was all that was needed and then they'd move on. I particularly remember the male doing it.

I do hope you have more success with them than I had. As I've mentioned elsewhere on TF, my male was very aggressive towards the female at feeding time and I believe this ultimately led to her demise.

BTW, nothing wrong with your piccies. In fact, they're pretty good.

JPC

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 07:24:43 PM »
A couple more photos, group shots this time. You can see the problem with the roots obscuring the fish  ;D

I didn't go with a pair because I didn't want a male to pick on a single female. I think I have 4 females and one male.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 07:28:16 PM »
You've a lot more plants than I had recollected! Is the rasbora in the first photo a harlequin - I think you have espeis/hengelis but that first one looks more like a harlequin to me..?

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 07:35:24 PM »
It's an espei, harlequins have a bigger black patch  :)

The water sprite has covered the entire tank quite nicely and the biggest ones have really long roots. Every so often I take out the most elderly plants as they go a bit straggly.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 07:43:57 PM »
It's an espei, harlequins have a bigger black patch  :)
Ah - maybe my elderly harlequins' patches are shrinking as their body shape changes.

the most elderly plants as they go a bit straggly.
If you've managed to achieve 'elderly plants', then you're a much better plant-keeper than you give yourself credit for.  :D

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 08:10:37 PM »
Stunning fish!  :fishy1:

(And a LOT of water sprite!)  :cheers:

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 08:17:10 PM »
The water sprite started out as a small pot from an Ebay seller. It was probably a combination of the water sprite and all the micro-organisms everywhere in the tank that resulted in zero ammonia & nitrite when I accidentally left the filters turned off for 24 hours. In fact, given how long it took to get the QT ready for the gouramis, I suspect there are hardly any bacteria left in the filters.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2020, 08:35:46 PM »
Lovely fish @Sue . I am torn between those, honey gouramis and apisto's at the moment.

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2020, 08:43:54 PM »
Pearl gouramis are quite a bit bigger than honeys, if that helps you decide  :)

And as I discovered when I called in at my favourite fish shop, small (ie very young) pearls are impossible to sex. That's why I ended up at Maidenhead Aquatics as theirs were a lot bigger.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 08:46:05 PM »
Pearl gouramis are quite a bit bigger than honeys, if that helps you decide  :)

And as I discovered when I called in at my favourite fish shop, small (ie very young) pearls are impossible to sex. That's why I ended up at Maidenhead Aquatics as theirs were a lot bigger.

ok, that helps. Should have included dwarf gouramis in the list. Got told about the disease etc so contemplating which way to go.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2020, 09:35:34 PM »
Great pics, I think your gouramis have fantastic markings.
I imagine that your fish love your water sprite. As I was looking at the plants I was thinking "my dwarf puffers would love swimming through all of them".

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2020, 06:15:51 PM »
Brilliant photo's @Sue I'm so glad you posted, was wondering how you were getting on with them, as it was on your recommendation way back that I got pearls and they are so lovely fish.

Agree with getting a group and ironically it's one of my girls that normally chases the male but he get's his own back by chasing the other two girls. But overall they all get on OK and it's normally just after feeding that they get up to there antics.

Another thing I've notice with the male, although maybe wrongly, I would have thought he'd be bolder. When the light are out the girls all settle near the surface, but he usually stay hiding until the lights come on, and then very tentatively comes out, if you go near him at that point he'll dash back into cover.

When the lights are on, if there are other people in the house, he'll stay under cover. He's fine we me and Al but they are all a bit skittish too, but to varying degrees, so I'm sure yours will love all the plants you got.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2020, 06:56:54 PM »
The water sprite is one of the reasons I decided to get the pearls as I know all gouramis like floating plants.

So far the male is the most active of the group but they all run and hide when they see movement outside the tank.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Pearl gouramis"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
12 Replies
Last post November 24, 2012, 04:31:53 PM
by Carol
4 Replies
Last post March 11, 2014, 11:53:34 PM
by tropicalhabitat
10 Replies
Last post March 14, 2015, 06:51:56 PM
by Aquamaid
25 Replies
Last post March 15, 2015, 07:31:43 PM
by Cod_only_knows
13 Replies
Last post June 27, 2016, 01:13:42 PM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post July 27, 2017, 06:55:42 PM
by fcmf
1 Replies
Last post February 08, 2018, 09:30:05 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: