Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Matt's 64 litre tank
« on: March 20, 2016, 09:51:43 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 2
Thought I'd post a few images of my set up for all to see...

See my signature for current stocking

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Matt's 64 litre tank
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 10:00:23 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Thanks for sharing. Really lovely! Sparkling gourami is indeed stunning and rams are so attractive.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 10:16:39 PM »
Great photos of a great tank.
 :cheers:

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 10:35:43 PM »
Love the decor and the fish look great.

In my imaginary tank (no space for anymore) I have always wanted sparkling gouramis, do yours croak?

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 06:28:18 AM »
Thanks everyone   ;D

I know there are others on here that have heard sparkling gourami croak, but mine are in the living room and so I've never heard them, what with the other noises in the room.  I don't believe it is a hugely loud sound nor is it especially distinctive from what Google can tell me.  Sue's experiences are:

I had them several years ago. I did hear them croaking - more a sort of football rattle sound. I could just about hear it from the other end of the room if it was quiet.
See more at: http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forums/welcome-to-our-tropical-fish-forum-please-read/introduce-yourself!/msg21775/#msg21775

[Moderator fcmf has altered typo 'sparkling glutamine' to 'sparkling gourami'  :) fcmf, 9:03am, 21/03/16]

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 07:39:10 AM »
Looking good  :cheers:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 03:42:31 PM »
A beautiful tank, thank you for sharing  :)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 10:00:51 PM »
Didn't exactly want to make a new topic for this so apologies for using an old one...

Quick update, I've received plants from both Sue and Paddy recently.  Thank you both so much for this, I really must remember to return the favour when I have something worth offering!

The Hornwort and Hygrophila seem to be rejuvenating after their journeys.  I initially struggled with the Hornwort. Having planted it, it was loosing a lot of needles but I then tried it floating and I believe that the extra light made available to it has allowed it to fair much better. I now have half floating and another half weighted down with lead but resting on top of a rock and wood structure to bring it closer to the light to see how it gets on.  The sparkling gourami like having floating plants to play with,  previous attempts to have pennywort floating were appreciated but others in the tank were too hungry apparently to let this survive, Pistia Stratiotes struggles with my filter flow too so this is looking to be a good alternative.

The Hygrophila has only just been put in the tank today,  it did not appreciate being put in a dark box and thrown around by the postman at all despite Paddys excellent shipping package.  I had it in a bowl on the window sill for a few days with a crumbled root tab a couple of flakes of food and 1 drop of liquid carbon each day.  Happily, things seem to be going well, 2 of 4 'sprigs' have got new and or healthy looking growth and these are the ones I added to the tank earlier. I'm hoping the proper environment will now encourage them to grow well.  I will put some tank water into the bowl tomorrow to encourage the remaining sprigs and see how both sets get on but I'm remaining quite hopeful for them both.

I do hope I can keep these gifts alive, my track record is not in my favour...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 10:13:50 PM »
Best of luck with the plants and it's good to hear that the fish are appreciating them.  :cheers:

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 08:23:14 AM »
Nice looking tanks! I wouldn't worry too much about the Hygrophila, the stuff is pretty indestructible. I'd wager you'll be chopping it down within the month!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 09:17:15 AM »
Oh no, it really didn't travel well, did it! I'm sorry it arrived looking like this. I deliberately gave you the healthiest looking sprigs to give them the best chance of surviving the trip...

But as cod says, the consolation is that it is extremely hardy and it will sprout again at pretty much every junction of leaves... So if the old leaves don't rejuvenate, you'll quickly grow fresh new leaves and be able to chop away the old stuff. Especially because you seem to be very switched on to how to care for the plants. Might I suggest you plant it in the tank asap? The fish waste and excess food will help and it is an excellent nitrate eater.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with it. Apologies again that it didn't arrive as green as it left  :(

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 09:44:13 AM »
Paddy please dont apologise,  if it wasn't for your efforts I'm sure that I would have recieved a brown rotting sludge rather than something which is already sprouting as you indicated (see top 'sprig' in the bowl). I'm going to give the remaining bits some tank water now. They are yet to show any signs of rejuvination - as soon as they do they will get put in the tank and old vegetation taken off. I just don't want them to a) rot in the tank and b) they would more than likely get eaten like the pennywort if I dont give them a fighting chance...

For fans I hitchikers guide to the galaxy... I'm sure there are a couple of ravenous planteaterbeasts in my tank... otherwise known as rams...

Update: one of the two remaining 'sprigs' has some healthy looking growth on top this morning so might get put in the tank later with its lower leaves removed, it will look a little like a pom pom but it might get some new growth along the stem if I'm lucky like the health piece in the tank now.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 10:24:12 AM »
That sounds better then, I have confidence you'll get good results with it but as you say it might not look the best to begin with.

The cultivation session I did to collect your stuff has already made a big difference to my tank. Much less sparse looking in the bottom half and the replanted sprigs have wasted no time in gaining an extra inch or two in height in just over a week.

I think the Seachem Flourish i have started using is already doing a good job as the new growth is much greener looking.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2016, 10:33:09 AM »
I keep considering flohrish (or other cheaper alternatives) then deciding that I am best picking plants that just grow without it and the liquid carbon I bought to get something which is more sustainable... I hate to think how much heating 140 litres of water will cost me when I upgrade my tank so running costs such as this need to be kept minimal to my eyes... then again I am known for being a bit tight...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2016, 10:45:41 AM »
All my set ups are low tech and all plants do without CO2 or regular additional fertiliser. Regular trimming and replanting of the pieces for certain plants have certainly made them very economical. It's always nice to set up a tank and have enough plants to make an instant impact, although sometimes a bit of patience and perhaps just a little fertiliser can make a spectacular display.
Your tank is looking quite awesome and I should imagine that your fish are loving it.  :)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2016, 10:01:51 PM »
Christmas is coming early to the 64litre  :isay: (doddery Santa emoji)

I have new Spider wood soaking currently and new led lights on the way.   :D

This is the first real step I'm taking towards the eventual upgrade of the tank to a 140 litre aquaoak.  Nothing will be rushed along the journey though and I've certainly got no plans to actually upgrade any time soon so no-one need get too excited!

I do have a well researched plan of what I want the upgraded tank to look like and so the 2 pieces of wood are destined for the upgrade tank.  They will replace one of the chunky pieces of wood in my current tank giving more water volume for me now (ie better water quality/space for more fish possibly...) and will be arranged alongside an existing piece in what will essentially be a more compact version of the arrangement in the new tank.

The lighting is to try and get my current plants growing - hopefully I am right that my current cheap underpowered led lighting is currently the limiting factor to plant growth.  With this new lighting i hope I can keep what i have now alive and grow them bigger for use in the new tank.  Any plants purchased for the new tank can them be established in my current tank first too, or that's the plan anyway!  As I write this I also think I may have come up with a cunning plan to reuse this lighting in the new tank... I'll investigate this in the morning!

At some point next year I hope to be able to change my current gravel substrate to sand too. Again this is the plan for the new tank because I want to keep corys.  I want to be able to move as much beneficial bacteria over to the new tank as possible to avoid what I can in terms of any fish in cycling that will have to be done so again this will be a tactical move (I get the feeling a few pygmy corys might make their way into my current tank though!).

This will leave a rock swap out and a filter to get cycled before the big move whenever that may be.

Rest assured I'll get some piccys posted when the new wood is in place.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2016, 10:17:12 PM »
Excellent - good to read of these plans which do sound exciting but I'll heed your warning not to expect anything imminently. :)

Looking forward to the step-by-step pics as developments occur - you'll need to start a new thread with the title of your new tank size :).

:cheers:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2016, 09:55:28 AM »
Plans to upgrade a tank... I'm looking forward to regular updates and piccies.  ;D
I'll try not to be impatient.  :-[

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2016, 11:14:50 PM »
If it's anything like the old tank it's going to look good. :D

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2016, 06:35:23 AM »
Thanks!

As of last night I was still getting a lot of colour off the wood so it looks like any rescaping will have to wait until next weekend.  The new light will probably be the first change in that case (tho my wife keeps threatening to wrap it and put it under the tree).

In other news I added some red root floater (Phyllanthus fluitans) to my tank last weekend and whilst it has lost quite a few leaves it has also grown a lot of new green ones. It came with some free snails (removed) and some free duckweed which I might add once I've seen how everything responds to the new light. I want something that will keep the sparking gourami happy but I think floating plants for them need more leaf area and less root as they are not responding in the same way to it. It is the first red plant I've had and it looks great, it has encouraged me to try other 'coloured' plants. I need to prove to myself that I can keep them alive first though  ::)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Matt's 64 litre tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post November 20, 2013, 07:10:53 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post March 13, 2014, 04:27:45 PM
by ColinB
9 Replies
Last post June 12, 2015, 07:24:11 PM
by justin
6 Replies
Last post July 17, 2016, 04:57:53 PM
by Fiona
281 Replies
Last post September 03, 2023, 01:07:43 AM
by Matt
79 Replies
Last post February 12, 2021, 08:30:06 PM
by Matt
10 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 11:31:43 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: