Matt's 64 Litre Tank

Author Topic: Matt's 64 litre tank  (Read 52898 times) 169 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Matt's 64 litre tank
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2017, 07:40:26 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
It could be the male chasing her. Any chance of getting another female or two? When I had just one female, the males all chased her but now I have 2 females, they don't seem to bother.
I did lose one of the original two females, I found her dead one day during a water change.

But I did notice that a lot of the gobies in the shop tank looked very thin; I wouldn't buy any that were thin and waited till they got more in. Some of them looked like just a head with a bit of string attached. I wonder if it's like otos, they starve between being caught and us buying them.
Did the shop worker catch them easily? The ones I have buried themselves in the gravel on the bottom of the tank as soon as the net went in the tank and I can imagine it would be very easy to cause internal damage during netting.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2017, 08:25:05 PM »
Algae has decreased recently following a move from weekly fertiliser dosing to daily. @fcmf it sounds like you need an algae eater in your tank! (Ref your poll!) Have you also considered shrimp?
I wouldn't trust my female x-ray tetras with shrimp.

I do hope your female improves ultimately, however you go about it - Sue's suggestion sounds a good plan.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2017, 06:06:56 PM »
Oh and I think I might be getting a 220l aquaoak for Xmas!

It's finally happening... 220ltr aquaoak purchased today (theres a sale on!)!

;D ;D ;D

Its a three month waiting list apparently though...  :'(  Still... plenty of time for some planning! I'll start a new thread to cover this!

At some point I'll need to decide what I'm going to do with this tank. I'll likely keep it going in one form or another. Possibly temperate river manifold, possibly planted with gobies, possibly shrimp only... who knows! Open to suggestions  :cheers:

Goby is holding in there for the time being - unfortunately I dont have the stocking capacity at the moment to add another female.  Theres plenty of hiding spaces in the tank so I'm hoping that as she builds her strength I'll see more of her.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2017, 06:42:43 PM »
Yes, re the sale, so I noticed - I was browsing the tanks online for what I would purchase if only I had the space.  ::)
Delighted for you, though - :cheers: - and, indeed, the waiting time can be put to profitable use in making decisions on stocking. In your new thread on that, don't forget to remind us of your water parameters, so that we can suggest suitable inhabitants.

All the best with the goby - it may be a matter of weighing up whether an additional female goby is actually ultimately the better option even if it does mean the tank is marginally overstocked.

Offline Fishbeard

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Bearded Fish Forum User
« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2017, 08:54:14 PM »

Very pleased for you and not at all jealous! Especially with the pictures of your 64l tank already, I'm sure the new one will be a sight to behold.

Offline Sue

« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2017, 09:38:15 PM »
That's the best time to buy a tank - in a sale  :)

The delay will give you plenty of time to decide what you want to do with this one.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2017, 06:29:35 PM »
Unfortunately the goby passed this evening. Hardly ever saw it then there is was in the in middle of the tank the wrong way up... :'(

I'm putting it down to internal dammage/stress of the move. My wife has told me that the guy in the shop was extremely rough with catching her. (I got distracted by the other fish!!)  The fish didn't look in bad condition externally. I dont think the other goby bullied it to death as there is plenty of algae and stuff in the tank for it to feed on qnd plenty of hiding places for the two to keep apart. Having had a think about how a fish behaves when poorly ('sulking' and hiding/resting in plants etc) this very much fitted with the behaviour of the goby be it all based at floor level. It barely moved when I moved a rock the other day to find it for example and if scared of the male it would have darted. I also believe it was also thin when we bought it as it looked so thin a few days after so may have been hurt during previous purchases at he store...

I'll be adding more in the 220 ltr as i still think they are real cuties  :D

Offline fcmf

« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2017, 06:56:46 PM »
Very sorry to read of this, @Matt - it did sound as though it was just a matter of time before this eventuality occurred but at least you did your best and gave her the opportunity to recuperate. Although very difficult when a fish dies, hopefully you feel reassured that it seems to have been factors outside your control - perhaps you can relax a little rather than peering in anxiously every so often to see how she's faring.

Offline Sue

« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2017, 06:57:08 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that. But they are very tricky to catch, and internal damage is a possibility.

And yes they are cute  :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2017, 02:35:10 PM »
Sorry to hear about your goby.  :(
They are adorable little fish, and more in your new tank would be lovely.  :)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2017, 07:40:06 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Whilst I am not quite yet ready to start doing my 220litre tank as the festivities are not yet over, to allow me reliably complete water testing, water changes and tank monitoring... I did however promise an update on my plans for the 64litre tank. I am hoping to go as different as possible with this and create a contrasting aquascape. I am planning a low maintenance tank with sparkling gourami and scarlet badis - I also quite fancy pygmy cory, though I'm concerned this will push the stocking on a supposedly low maintenance tank!. I am very fond of the behaviour of these species which are both shy but interesting characters which are known to cohabit well.

The aquascape would have rocks and wood though the wood would be 'falling' from the top rather than 'branching' from the bottom (if I can get this to look right!).  This would be on a mixed gravel and sand substrate filled with leaf litter ( which will also stain the water with tannins - though not deeply as I'm thinking of using beech).  There would not be many plants apart from floating plants and maybe a couple of plants tied to the rocks or nested in the wood.  The tank will have a dark and moody appearance and would be vaguely a south asian biotope (if a biotope can be vague... :vcross:).

That's the plan at the moment anyway, though this is a way off yet, with the 220 litre still to do  :yikes:

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2018, 09:28:24 PM »
The tank look somewhat devastated now most of the plants have been transferred to the 220 litre...   :-\

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2018, 08:52:15 AM »
Perhaps you should give it a name and create a new style of aquascaping.  ;)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2018, 07:17:59 PM »
Well the plans changed...

We are now going for a pygmy puffer tank  :fishy1:

Let just say Mrs Matt could barely be told not to bring them home today with her   ::)

We will be doing the tank together (my evil plans to get her into fish keeping seem to be working at last) and building an jungly aquascape with quite a bit of height thanks to some large rocks.  Something like the image below, but more junglely if that makes sense...

I've wanted pygmy puffer ever since I first heard about them and saw videos of them online.  They are just as endearing in the flesh. We are more comfortable about feeding them now having done a bit more research and so they have been given the green light for a group of 6. I'm hoping to stock them with 2 otos which many people have had success with.  Also I've heard about them being kept successfully with khuli loaches which will eat any left over food from the messy puffers. It sounds like a really good idea and seeing as I have a back up tank if needed, I'll be giving 2 of them a go in with the puffers.

I feel like there is a fellow pygmy puffer keeper on the forum??? Any advice?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2018, 09:45:37 PM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of tiny adorableness.  ;D

I have had my little guys for nearly 2 years, they are great characters, and are a nightmare for how cute they look all at the front of the tank begging for food.

Mine are in a species only tank, so I can't advise you on mixing with otos and loaches, but I'm fairly certain someone else had a couple in a community tank without problem.

;D

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2018, 06:41:27 AM »
Odds were it would be you @Littlefish , is there a species you don't keep!?  :rotfl:

More seriously... a few questions if I may please...

What do you feed yours, how many do you have, and how often/how much do you feed? Sorry that seems very specific... from my research I know what they eat, it's the how much per fish and how often big e seems to be less detail on out there. I'm thinking a cube of frozen bloodworm will be too much each day - half every other day might be better supplemented with snails or Daphnia or something?

What temperature do you keep yours at? Again a range is always given... Im thinking I might go slightly cooler at 23 degrees to save a few pennies... they seem to be able to take that.

How many males do you have? I think if they are juveniles in the shop and I can't sex them, only one male will result from a group due to hormone release but the alpha fish which would be good... do you have any advice on this?

I think the other puffer keeper was Fiona who we've not seen online for a while now. She had them with corys, gobys and otos, so it looks like these types of species work ok.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2018, 12:57:17 PM »
Ok, it was a fairly safe bet.  ;D
You are also correct that Fiona was the other keeper, with hers in a community tank.

I have 11 in a 140L/100cm tank. I mainly feed them live bloodworms and small pest snails, but they also take frozen foods quite happily. I feed them what seems to be quite a small amount (a pinch with the aquascaping forceps) 2 or 3 times a day. I'd read that little and often was the way to go. If feeding them a cube of frozen I would estimate I give up to half a cube a day, but split over several meals. I think it's always good to supplement with a variety of foods, and I'm lucky that an LFS has quite good range of live foods.

I also keep mine at the cooler end of the range, 23-24C. They seem fine with this.

I got all of mine as juveniles, and there is a roughly equal split of males and females. 2 of the males are much larger than the others, and their chosen territories are at opposite ends of the tank. They are quite dominant, but the group is very good natured, and everyone comes together without trouble at feeding times.

Even when the fish were in the shop, it was possible to spot if there were any males as some already had the line along the belly, but any without the line couldn't be guaranteed female.

I can completely understand why Mrs Matt would struggle not to purchase them immediately. Their cute little faces, and the way they swim, described in one article I read as being that of an inebriated cow in comparison to the grace with which most other fish swim, an the looks of utter wonder on their faces when they are investigating plants and decor...the little buggers will steal your heart as you watch them.  :)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2018, 06:55:36 PM »
Their cute little faces, and the way they swim, described in one article I read as being that of an inebriated cow in comparison to the grace with which most other fish swim, an the looks of utter wonder on their faces when they are investigating plants and decor...the little buggers will steal your heart as you watch them.  :)

We both went "aaawwwwww..." upon reading that and are now desperate to have them in our lives!!!  :-*

I got some rock and wood today, plus buce, vallis and hydrocotyle tripartita. That plus the existing hornwort and some plants stolen back from the 220 litre should make for a nice puffer habitat. :D

I've put the new plants in the 64 litre and done a quick photo just to show the tank looking a bit better!!  ::)

Also a photo is attached of the hardscape layout for the 64 litre (sorry about the label).

I am going for, the built up area will be planted and vallis and any stolen plants from the 220l will be intertwined with the wood, coming up from the base.  The buce will be attached to the wood and pushed into cracks in the rock.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2018, 09:41:21 PM »
This is such an exciting development - I've been so envious, reading the update. Those fish are adorable (although sadly not suitable for my own water, so I just have to enjoy them via reading of others' experiences with them, so keep us fully posted once you get them and of their antics :D).

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2018, 09:58:22 PM »
They should hopefully be with us on Sunday!! Very excited, though a lot to do in preparation for their arrival, most of which will need to be done on the Saturday before!

Moving the tank, moving the danios and goby, soaking the wood, changing from gravel to sand substrate, setting up the hardscape, planting......

Another tank adventure!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Matt's 64 litre tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post November 20, 2013, 07:10:53 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post March 13, 2014, 04:27:45 PM
by ColinB
9 Replies
Last post June 12, 2015, 07:24:11 PM
by justin
6 Replies
Last post July 17, 2016, 04:57:53 PM
by Fiona
281 Replies
Last post September 03, 2023, 01:07:43 AM
by Matt
79 Replies
Last post February 12, 2021, 08:30:06 PM
by Matt
10 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 11:31:43 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: