Matt's 64 Litre Tank

Author Topic: Matt's 64 litre tank  (Read 52490 times) 169 replies

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Matt's 64 litre tank
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2018, 10:10:49 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
We visited the fish shop this afternoon. Out of all the tanks in the shop, my daughter insisted on making sure I saw the tank that had her favourites in - pygmy puffers!   :rotfl: Fortunately this thread has been enough research, so I was able to say immediately that they wouldn't be good in my tank.

And no, @Littlefish , she's not getting her own tank.  :yikes: She's not yet 5. My tank is older than she is!

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2018, 10:17:14 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised to hear the MA staff offering very good advice about them, tankmates, their diet etc. In fact the sales assistant said they said they don't sell many due to people not being able to provide what the puffers need. 

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2018, 10:24:37 PM »
@Helen there is plenty of time for another tank...perhaps a future birthday or christmas present for your daughter...perhaps...Those little puffers don;t need much space (but a bigger tank with lots of them is worth it). ;D

@Matt it is very comforting to hear of sales staff in any fish store offering good advice. Hooray.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2018, 10:01:45 PM »
Ok so here is my plan...

I have had the wood soaking all week to get rid of as much tannins as possible and to make sure they sink. The rocks have also been in the tank growing biofilm (I will loose some biofilm by changing the substrate so it seemed sensible even if it makes little difference in reality).  I need to wash the sand first thing so everything is then ready to go. I'll have to put it in a mixing bowl once done to save running out of buckets later down the line...

Next step will be to remove the decor and plants from the tank. The plants are being reused so will go into a bucket of tank water.  I will then do a little bit of gravel vacuuming just in the areas with plants that have root tabs under them to avoid creating a big mess later on. This will also remove some water which will make it easier for me to catch the galaxy rasbora and assassin snail which are being transferred to the 220litre.  The otocinclus and goby will be put into the bucket with the plants along with the filter and heater. I'll then need to remove the tank lid because of the way the electrics work on the tank so i can run the filter in the bucket. I'm going to take a risk on keeping the goby in with the puffers for a week as I want to add 4 gobies into the 220litre in total and because they can be territorial I want to add them all at the same time if I can. If the puffers and goby don't get on I can always just transfer him across early. 

I can then drain the tank, take out the gravel, and move the tank to its new permanent location. Mrs Matt will sort through the gravel which ill put in the other bucket to find any shrimp babies and Malaysian trumpet snails.  Whilst she is doing this I can put the sand, rocks and wood into the tank and spend a while aquascaping it all until I'm happy with things. I'm going to use tetra initial sticks under the sand to provide the plants with some nutrients.

Once we are happy with the hardscape, the tank will be partially refilled with water from the 220litre, and the filter and heater reinstalled.  The next step will be planting.  As the plants are going to be in the fish bucket it will be less stressful for the fish to have the big tank with the decor in it to hide behind whilst I plant it than be in a bucket I keep putting my hand in and out of so ill move them across before i start. Ill also be stealing a plant or two from the 220litre tank.

Once the planting is done I can top up the water if required from the fish bucket and go get the puffers!!
  :fishy1:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2018, 09:16:48 AM »
 ;D

A busy day, but totally worth it.  :cheers:

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2018, 06:37:43 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
 :fishy1:

;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #106 on: January 20, 2018, 06:47:18 PM »
 :cheers:

Aren't they sooooooooooooooooooo cute.  ;D

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2018, 07:48:45 PM »
Oooooooooooh, gorgeous!  :fishy1:

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2018, 07:56:16 PM »
Not enough 'o's there littlefish and fcmf for something so adorable!!  :D  They swim around in little groups or on their own but constantly get distracted by absolutely everything that catches their googly eyes!!!

They have had some live bloodworm... hilarious watching them stare at it on the substrate, swim around it whilst never taking an eye off it... then dart at it and suddenly find themselves with a bloodworm in their mouths that is twice as long as them! Even better when they pick up the bloodworm in the middle of the worm and can't figure out what to do and one of their mates comes over and nicks it whilst they are still thinking about it.

The khuli loaches are lovely too, so different from other species behaviour.  I've seen one eating tonight too so they seem to be settling in well. They are going to make a great companion fish for the puffers, who so far seem to only have been confused by them (giant stripy bloodworm :o)!! The otocinclus are being totally ignored.

The plants I have are dwarf sag, buce, vallis, anubias nana, hornwort,  hydrocotyle tripartita and dwarf hairgrass. There is some java moss in there too for tieing to the wood at a later date.

The tank is still a bit cloudy but here are a couple more photos of the inhabitants...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #109 on: January 20, 2018, 10:25:01 PM »
Dwarf puffers, khuli loaches, otos - that's a tank that will provide you with endless hours of entertainment.
Awesome.  :cheers:

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2018, 11:15:02 PM »
Fantastic update and pics. I particularly like the one of the dwarf puffer eyeing/sizing up the bloodworm, having read your description. The eye movements of dwarf puffers are adorable.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #111 on: January 20, 2018, 11:37:11 PM »
Once you've put kuhlis in your tank, there's no moving away from them! Apart from the fact that they're long lived (mine could be up to 8 years old), they are so different to anything else I've researched and seriously considered.

I find I can spend hours watching them after the lights have gone out, if there's enough background light.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2018, 05:48:01 AM »
Thats a good idea regarding the background light @Helen as i suspect they will soon figure out that the left over bloodworm is there in the evening and they dont get disturbed as much on evening bloodworm expeditions... I may have to try using my blue moon light in the evenings again once the tank is stable.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2018, 09:53:18 AM »
Being nocturnal, I'm pretty sure they will find any left over bloodworm no matter how little light there is. It's just whether you can see them!

The most interesting thing I've seen since putting the sand in my tank, is seeing the kuhlis feeding by shifting the sand through their gills. They do it at quite a surprising rate - I can see little showers of sand flying nearly halfway down their body! And they leave some interesting scalloping patterns in the sand. I imagine that a few feeding in the same place could have quite an aquascaping effect!

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2018, 10:29:27 AM »
One khuli was very active indeed this morning... though the other is yet to be seen...I just have snail tracks across the sand... Im regretting using the old gravel to build up the sand in the corner now...

Do your khulis dig little burrows into the sand under rocks/wood? My goby has spent ages excavating the sand under a rock to build himself a little hidey hole  ::)

Offline Sue

« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2018, 11:24:41 AM »
Stiphodons do that. They are a nightmare to catch in a shop tank that has gravel on the bottom.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2018, 11:31:26 AM »
Yeh... i cant catch the goby to transfer him now...!!!  :vcross:

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2018, 11:50:07 AM »
I'm not aware of my kuhlis burrowing. But they've only just got sand after many years of gravel that was a bit too big for burrowing.

But I think it was my BN Plec that was landscaping to make his favourite caves big enough for him. I've not put them completely back (just rearranged to stabilise) and he seems happy, so it has stayed as it is. I actually find the variation in substrate levels add interest.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2018, 12:07:26 PM »
Burrowing gobies are so cute when you see their little faces poking out of the burrow.  ;D

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2018, 01:08:46 PM »
Anyone got any tips for catching them??  :vcross:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Matt's 64 litre tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post November 20, 2013, 07:10:53 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post March 13, 2014, 04:27:45 PM
by ColinB
9 Replies
Last post June 12, 2015, 07:24:11 PM
by justin
6 Replies
Last post July 17, 2016, 04:57:53 PM
by Fiona
281 Replies
Last post September 03, 2023, 01:07:43 AM
by Matt
79 Replies
Last post February 12, 2021, 08:30:06 PM
by Matt
10 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 11:31:43 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: