Juwel Rio 180 Tropical

Author Topic: Juwel Rio 180 tropical  (Read 16442 times) 66 replies

Offline Diz1

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Juwel Rio 180 tropical
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2014, 01:35:51 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Well, if it's a good enough tactic for the boys, it's good enough for the girls as well. That's what I think anyway.  :cheers:

Offline ColinB

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2014, 01:39:57 PM »
C'mon..... you've had a few hours...... what've you bought and when's it being delivered? :))

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2014, 02:08:20 PM »
I've been very good so far – haven't bought anything yet. I'm considering the Juwel Rio, as it looks so good in the piccies.
We're going away for a couple of weeks at beginning of July, so probably will order on my return.
I just wondered, does anyone (including your esteemed self, Colin) know how loud the pump is in the Rio? I realise that they all make a noise, but would like to get as quiet a tank as possible.

Of course, when it's all set up, I too can post a message saying (nonchalantly) 'just running the two tanks at the moment...'  ;D

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2014, 04:30:52 PM »
I had a Rio 125, and I have to say the pump on that was quite noisy. Though I've never heard anyone else say the same, the responses I've had when I've mentioned it have been to the effect that I couldn't have seated the motor properly. I will admit that I stood it for a month, then removed the built in filter and replaced it with an Eheim aquaball (which I later replaced with an Eheim biopower). I'm now running the biopower in my 180 litre, custom built tank.

I would say once you got the tank run it a few days with just water, no fish or anything. I always do that as I'm paranoid about having a 'Friday afternoon' tank that isn't made properly. That would tell you if the filter is too loud and it is easier to do something about it when there are no fish in there.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2014, 04:43:59 PM »
Good idea, thanks Sue  :)

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2014, 05:36:42 PM »
I just wondered, does anyone (including your esteemed self, Colin) know how loud the pump is in the Rio? I realise that they all make a noise, but would like to get as quiet a tank as possible.

I have a Juwel Vision 180 which is basically the same tank, albeit with a slightly different shape - I have the original Juwel filter running and must say it's pretty quiet. You certainly can't hear it over the TV or anything like that.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2014, 05:43:06 PM »
Thanks dbaggie. I do really like the look of the Rio, so I'm definately 'leaning' that way at the moment. :)

Offline Pawel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2014, 01:50:04 PM »
Congratulations on the second tank Diz! :)

Juwel Rio is not silent, there is noticeable hum from the filter pump, but it is relatively quiet. It doesn’t bother me enough to want to get a different filter. But as Sue suggested best to give it a go before deciding to make any changes.

Offline Pawel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2014, 01:57:16 PM »
I saw some CPDs yesterday that must have been more mature or well looked after than the other more dull ones I've seen they really are gorgeous fish but yes quite small. .. I'm used to small fish though with my little tank!
I've seen CPDs at my local fish shop at the weekend. They had really muted colours, no wonder I missed them before. Maybe I should rescue a few and get them home, bring a better colour out of them. :)

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2014, 02:44:18 PM »
Thanks Pawel.

Actually, a slight hum doesn't matter. The tank will be in my office, not in the main house (lest you think I live in a mansion, I should explain that my 'attached' garage is converted into an office, where I spend a large part of the day working). My aqua nano also hums, but doesn't rattle or clunk, and this is what I'm after rather than total silence.
I've been online to look at various reviews and some of them seem to think that the filter isn't that great. What's your opinion? Any feedback greatly appreciated.
Diz

Offline Sue

« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2014, 03:43:34 PM »
Juwel filters come in for a lot of criticism because the flow rating falls below the "5 times turnover per hour" standard. But they are good filters with appropriate stocking, ie no very messy fish. And a messy fish is defined as one that poos a lot (eg plecs) or one that eats a lot of meaty food and leaves a fair amount uneaten on the bottom of the tank (eg oscars).

There are a few of things about the media.
Unlike other filters, the white floss pads are first in the direction of water flow. Juwel intend them to trap the debris before it can get to the rest of the media, rather than 'polish' the fine bits from the water at the end of the water flow. The pads get clogged quickly (all that debris!) and won't wash more than a couple of times before going shapeless and holey so they need replacing every couple of weeks. It works out expensive buying Juwel-brand pads so get a roll of filter wool and cut it to the size of the pads. You won't dispose of many bacteria because they are changed too quickly to grow many, and filter wool is not a very good home for he bacteria anyway.
Keep the black carbon sponge in the cupboard.
If the media includes a green sponge, that is supposed to remove nitrate. Most people reckon it doesn't. But it is a good home for the bacteria, treat it like a blue sponge.

And don't change the media as often as Juwel say  :D

Offline Richard W

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2014, 03:55:34 PM »
I like the filter in my Rio 125, which I assume is more or less the same type as in the 180. Personally, I don't set much store by simple figures like 5 times turnover per hour. It's easy to get a filter which can pump water rapidly but might only have one miserly piece of sponge. Not surprising that the water goes through quickly! The Juwel filter has 6 pieces of media, which you can mix and match as you choose. I much prefer this filter which must hold far more bacteria than a simpler one and therefore should be much more efficient. If more ammonia/nitrite is removed each time water passes through then there is no need for a more rapid flow rate. There is also no problem about replacing media as you only do one at a time, i.e. a sixth of the total.

Mine is very quiet, except when it needs cleaning, which acts as a useful reminder. I've found that many filters get quieter after they have been running for a few weeks from new.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2014, 04:11:59 PM »
Thanks Sue and Richard. I'm pleased to read your advice because I do like the look of this tank.
Because I'm still a beginner, I don't intend to keep anything but 'easy' and relatively non-demanding fish, but would platies (just a couple of males, as I don't want to deal with babies) count as being too messy for the flow rate of this filter?
Also, when you recommend that I don't change the media (apart from the white filter wool) as often as Juwel suggest, how often should I change it and do I have to use branded Juwel filter media when changing?  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2014, 04:21:30 PM »
Platies don't count as messy fish. Yes they do poo quite a bit, but they are nothing on what a plec can do  ;D

The sponges need replacing when they literally fall apart or won't go back to shape after cleaning. They should last for years. If cirax is included, that needs replacing when it starts to crumble - again it should last for years.
If they ever do need to be replaced it will be so rarely that I would use Juwel sponges. Sponges have to be the exact size to fit in the filter without any gaps round the edges as water always takes the easiest route and could bypass the bacteria. I would worry that in cutting up another sponge I wouldn't get a perfect fit. The white pads are a different matter. Filter wool/floss is easy to cut and it doesn't really matter if there's a bit of a gap round the edges.

Also, if you do ever replace filter media, it should not be done all at once. One bit a month is the closest I'd do it.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2014, 04:26:37 PM »
You might note, however, there have been a lot of reports on here of problems with platies succumbing easily to some disease or other. I assume that, like guppies, the various colourful types have been produced by inbreeding, with a consequent loss of robustness. Not a fish that I would choose these days for easy care and reliability. You might be lucky though ...............

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2014, 04:36:11 PM »
Thanks again Sue and Richard. I'm not going to order anything till mid July, when I'm back from holiday. There's a fairly good lfs near me, so I'm going to look at the aquariums they stock and then decide (still think I'll get the Rio 180 but want to see how big it looks in real life first). Very excited though. Didn't take me long to succumb to multiple tank syndrome!  ;D

Offline ColinB

« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2014, 04:45:01 PM »
I second what Richard said..... a number of my platies turned up their little fishy toes very quickly. The ones that didn't started beating hell out of each other once they reached fishy puberty. I would never have platies again.

Barbs, on the other hand, I would have tank-fulls of.
(Please excuse the mangled grammar of that last sentence. :) )

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2014, 04:47:01 PM »
Thanks Colin, but don't barbs beat the bejeezers out of everyone else in the tank?

Offline ColinB

« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2014, 04:53:11 PM »
Thanks Colin, but don't barbs beat the bejeezers out of everyone else in the tank?

My 5-band barbs, cherry barbs, lemon tetras and neon tetras live in peace and harmony with the odd half-hearted chase. There're lots of plants, wood and Dave the Dinosaur for them to swim around and break up sight lines so maybe this helps.

However; my 'next tank' will be packed full of barbs. mmmm - or perhaps..........

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2014, 04:56:12 PM »
Maybe barbs are the way to go then but, excuse my ignorance, what kind of fish is Dave the dinosaur? LOL  ;D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Juwel Rio 180 tropical"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post July 18, 2014, 01:27:59 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post January 15, 2015, 07:42:16 PM
by Aquamaid
7 Replies
Last post May 02, 2015, 05:50:11 PM
by Sanjo
151 Replies
Last post July 28, 2016, 10:38:47 PM
by Trish
8 Replies
Last post February 06, 2016, 08:18:07 PM
by Fiona
1 Replies
Last post November 10, 2016, 05:10:14 AM
by Andy The Minion
3 Replies
Last post March 01, 2018, 07:19:01 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: