Eco 100 Tank - 200L Project

Author Topic: Eco 100 Tank - 200L project  (Read 30638 times) 104 replies

Offline daniel_james_taylor

• Super Fishy Member
Eco 100 Tank - 200L project
« on: May 19, 2013, 05:19:08 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
So ive started my new 200L project and thought I would post updates on the forum as I go along. Rather exited as this is my first 'large' aquarium!

Eco 100 Tank & Cabinet:
•   Tank dimensions: 100cm x 40cm x 50cm
•   AquaManta EFX 300 external filter
•   2 x 39w T5 lights & 300w heaterstat

Stocking plan im still not fully decided on however aiming for Angel fish to be the main feature.

The pics so far are set-up and planting. (Set-up started last week on Sunday)

• Super Fishy Member
Re: Eco 100 Tank - 200L project
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 05:25:20 PM »
Started planting yesterday (saturday)

Added the following:

Echinodorus mix
Alternanthera cardinalis
Bolbitus heudelotii
Pogostemon helferi
Anubias - (cutting from my other tank)

Im looking to add some moss and crispus when the lfs gets them back in stock

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 05:52:52 PM »
Looking good!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

TigzFish

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 07:18:03 PM »
Looks great so far. I like the big and bold decor.

Scale wise you are identical to my own tank, and I note you've gone for an over-sized AquaManta 300 instead of the lesser 200, which is what I have on mine.  Displacement with my own decor is about 20ltr making the Roma 200 a 180ltr max, so still plenty of capacity.  Looking at the much bigger rock and very large wood pieces I'm going to say you'll be a lot closer to 150ltr. Have you measured the actual capacity with the decor in the tank to give you a baseline?

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 08:13:50 PM »
Thanks! Yeh i thought more filtration was better so upgraded the filter. I havn't measured the displacement however had guestimated between 40-50L. The drift wood is fairly substantial and I intend to grow alot of plants/moss off it :) What style/bio type aquarium have you done with your Roma 200?

TigzFish

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 09:58:49 PM »
The drift wood is fairly substantia
Too right, I haven't seen anything that big for sale up my local area. Looks jolly heavy.

What style/bio type aquarium have you done with your Roma 200?
My thread is in the Plants section, last week's post is right here [click] with pics. Reminds me, I have to update it tonight too.

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 05:54:11 PM »
The drift wood was from maidenhead aquatics, they had alot of substantial sized pieces. I tried it stood upright (was too tall!) and up at an angle however it just didnt look right. The plants and moss (to be added) will hopefully soften the look :) . Had a look at your tank TigzFish and i like what you have done on the left corner, what rock type is that?

TigzFish

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 07:31:16 PM »
The drift wood was from maidenhead aquatics, they had alot of substantial sized pieces. I tried it stood upright (was too tall!) and up at an angle however it just didnt look right. The plants and moss (to be added) will hopefully soften the look :) . Had a look at your tank TigzFish and i like what you have done on the left corner, what rock type is that?

I use Maidenhead myself (Standish near Wigan), love the place.  They do have some wood, but I haven't seen anything that big, it looks fab.  Glad you like the left corner, that's the theme I'm changing too bit by bit.  The large rock is Ocean Rock, and by heck it's heavy  ;D

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 07:59:26 PM »
Ive just calculated the displacement of water the drift wood creates (lifted it out of the water , measured the drop in water level, worked out at just over 12Litres (i was supprised how little displacement considering the size of it). I didn't do the rocks as I didn't want to disrupt the plants.

Offline Resa

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 08:03:03 PM »
That's looking really good!

Resa
  :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 05:46:25 PM »
Thanks Resa :)

Update for today - little bit of brown algae has started growing on the amazon swords. Im intending to get some more plants and conduct some daily small water changes to starve out any nutrients the algae is using. Ive also gently rubbed most of the algae off the amazon swords.

I hear brown algae is more common in newly set up tanks, is there a reason for this?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 07:49:51 PM »
The brown algae is usually diatoms. The reason it is common in new tanks is ammonia. Whether it's a fish-in or fishless, there is more ammonia in the water during cycling and this encourages diatoms.
Though you haven't menntioned doing either type of cycle yet...........?

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 08:53:10 PM »
Hi Sue,

thanks for the info, Im planning on doing a fish-in cycle, I havn't done fishless on previous tanks before. I have used some ceramic noodles from my other aquarium to help seed the new filter.

DT

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 09:00:16 AM »
Questions - have you moved the noodles into the new tank yet and if you have, are you feeding the bacteria on the noodles with ammonia/fish food?

It's just that you said

I have used some ceramic noodles

implying you've already put them in there, and

Im planning on doing a fish-in cycle

implying you haven't actually got any fish yet.

If there is no source of ammonia in the new tank, if you have moved the noodles the bacteria on them will starve. The noodles should be put in the new filter at the same time you get the first fish.

The other thing to bear in mind that even with mature media, you'll only be able to get a few fish. If you move a quarter of the media from the existing tank, you should get fish equal to just under a quarter of the amount of fish in the mature tank (just under a quarter because there will also be a tiny amount of bacteria on the other surfaces of the mature tank so a quarter of the media will have a bit less than a quarter of the bacteria population)

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 10:49:58 PM »
Hi Sue,

Yes I put some noodles accross when I set up the tank 2 weeks ago and I have been adding very small amounts of fish food to feed the bacteria. I haven't added any fish yet and I will put some more noodles accross when I add a few fish.

Im also still not 100% sure on what fish I want to add, im looking at south/central american fish: possible plan is: 5 Angle fish, breeding pair of dwarf rams, shoal of congo tertas, shoal of cories and ottos. Im unsure whether another sholing fish would fit in too? any suggestions? I havn't rushed into getting my fish yet hense feeding the bacteria on a little bit of fish food so far.

thanks,
DT

DT

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 09:13:07 PM »
Abit slow due to the bank holiday weekend however here is an updated pic of my aquarium so far. Went out on Sunday 26th and bought some more plants (far left) as well as some crypt (very young plant far right).

I also decided to move my 4 buenos aires tetra's from the small tank in the kitchen to this tank to help cycle t rather than buy new young fish. They seem very happy with the new tank size :)

Still a little brown algae on some of the swords and rocks however just brushing it off, doing regular waterchanges, reduced the hours the lighting is on and monitoring the water quality with an API Freshwater Master Test kit: tested today -  Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20ppm

Offline ColinB

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 07:53:03 AM »
That looks really good - I do like the really large driftwood piece you have.

You asked about another sort of shoaling fish? You're planning on a good mix of middle and bottom fish, so how about a surface shoaler, say the Bloodfin Tetra (link) or Penguin Tetra (link)?

I have an Aquaone Cube 40 as well and, although the filtration is huge, the lack of 'elbow room' for the fish is a bit limiting so I'm always thinking of a larger tank. (Note to self: must finish the decorating first!!)

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 05:53:21 PM »
Hey Colin,

Thanks for the reply :D I had a look at the two fish suggestions and also noticed the Silver Hatchet (south america) as a possibility? Do you know if these guys shoal or do their own thing?

I didn't have to worry about re-decorating, just had to relocate the computer desk to another room to make space for the tank!

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2013, 06:51:27 PM »
Update for the tank- went to local mha store today and bought 4 Lake Kutubu Rainbowfish. While I was looking to do an amazon bio-type I have decided to stray from it a little. I was looking at Congo tetra's however the colour of the rainbow fish stands out far more and is certianly attractive! I am still planning on angle fish for the main 'centre piece'.

I have tried to take a few photos but they don't stay still for long ...

Offline ColinB

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2013, 09:22:21 AM »
Hey Colin,

Thanks for the reply :D I had a look at the two fish suggestions and also noticed the Silver Hatchet (south america) as a possibility? Do you know if these guys shoal or do their own thing?

I didn't have to worry about re-decorating, just had to relocate the computer desk to another room to make space for the tank!

Good lookin' fish!

The hatchet fish are shoalers - and very good at jumping out of the tank, too. They had some at my local MA as well as Marbled Hatchetfish (link) which I think looked cooler.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Eco 100 Tank - 200L project"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post December 08, 2012, 06:36:36 PM
by Murf
3 Replies
Last post November 16, 2014, 06:19:00 PM
by Richard W
78 Replies
Last post August 04, 2016, 10:33:14 AM
by Paddyc
18 Replies
Last post April 02, 2016, 01:09:58 PM
by Fiona
306 Replies
Last post July 19, 2016, 11:38:50 AM
by Cora
7 Replies
Last post May 24, 2016, 09:26:55 PM
by Fiona
31 Replies
Last post February 23, 2017, 08:38:36 PM
by MarquisMirage

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: