Eco 100 Tank - 200L Project

Author Topic: Eco 100 Tank - 200L project  (Read 30660 times) 104 replies

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Eco 100 Tank - 200L project
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 10:10:25 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi DJT,

They're really lovely looking fish.  I quite fancied some rainbowfish myself :-\
There are just too many fish and not enough tanks... ;D

Resa
  :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2013, 10:34:24 AM »
I really love that huge piece of driftwood, and I think you have got a really good, natural-looking arrangement of rock too.

Even with all that, you have still got a good amount of litreage (see what I did there, Colin? ;D)

Keep posting piccies,

Resa
  :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline daniel_james_taylor

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2013, 11:08:35 AM »
Hey Resa,

Thankyou for the comments! I found myself walking round mha yesterday for an hour chosing the right fish. I have in the past made the mistake of buying fish without much thought for the future limiting my choices (not going to make that mistake again). I have spent so many evenings over the last few weeks looking at youtube videos and aquascape websites to get inspired for my tank design.

I will keep the photos coming :) My rainbows were flaring up bright orange across their heads this morning, looked amazing!!!! I will try and photograph this however its not very easy as they move before my camera can focus.

Colin: I had a look yesterday for marbled hatchet fish at mha however didn't have any in at the moment, will keep an eye out for them. The store has an order of fish in on tuesday so may come in then.

Now im off to enjoy the sunny weather! :)

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 09:12:30 PM »
Had abit of a change around with some plants today. The Bolbitus heudelotii didn't do too well as the buenos aires tetras have decided they like eating it to the point of no return. So ive changed it for some java fern instead which should hopefully not get eaten to the same extent :)

Offline Gaynor

• Fishy Member
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 01:48:51 AM »
     Your tank looks absolutely stunning, I love the driftwood, it really draws the eye.  And the caves and plants add to the whole thing, makes me almost tempted to try real plants myself.   :)

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2013, 09:11:51 PM »
Hey Gaynor,

Thank you for the comments, you might not be able to tell from the picture however the drift wood also creates a couple of caves on the left side which is cool. I hope to encourage some rams in the future to breed in the caves :) im due to go on holiday from friday until next sunday so I have left some instructions to my family to look after the tank and keep it clean etc.... i really hope its not covered in brown algae when i return!!

Offline Gaynor

• Fishy Member
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2013, 12:43:25 AM »
I'm in the same boat Daniel, off for a weeks holiday on the 29th of this month, leaving the tank and it's occupants in the care of my brother and daughter.  I'm actually scared of going away with the tank cycling, but I will be leaving in depth instructions, and I just pray that they phone if there are problems.   :)

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2013, 08:19:46 PM »
So yesterday I went to MHA and bought 4 panda garra's for my 200L tank, they have settled in well and algae is being eaten like no tomorrow! :)

Sad news while away on holiday my 60L suffered a loss of my betta fish and 3 otto's when I came back there was nothing obviously wrong with the water quality :( All seem fine now and keeping a close eye. I can't be mad at my lil bro who was left in charge as he did keep all alive in the 200L and did water changes on the days instructed :)

Pics of the panda garras to follow soon!

Offline Resa

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2013, 08:31:14 PM »
Hi Daniel,

Sorry to hear about your holiday fatalities...had you had your otos long? I always worry if I am looking after anyones pets, sod's law, something happens to them while their owners are away. I'm babysitting a friends canary at the moment, and I dread something happening to him. Mind you, he's in more danger from my son than anything else! He wakes him at the crack of dawn singing his socks off.....and man!..is he loud! ;D The canary, that is.....not my son.....though, on thinking about it..... ;)

What are panda garras?

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2013, 08:47:22 PM »
Hi Resa,

I had the otto's for about 2months or so, I have one loan survivour at the moment. Im leaving the tank to settle before I add a couple new otto's for company.

The Panda Garra is a sucker mouth loach, have a look on Google/you tube. I was shown them a few weeks ago at MHA and after some research decided to get them instead of a dwarf pleco.

Offline Resa

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2013, 09:06:32 PM »
Hi Daniel,

The reason I asked about how long you had had your otos is, they are apparently notoriously difficult to keep, and often die before you have had them a month :( . If you make it past that, it should be ok, but perhaps your little guys just held on longer. I bought 3 originally, and lost one just after the first month. The other two seem fine, in fact, one is SO fat, he really should think about weightwatchers ;)
It is to do with their care at the time of their capture and/or during their transportation. If they are not fed properly they become unable to eat again, no matter how much food is made available to them, so sadly, they starve. So, that is why they usually die in around a month. 
Also, do you have enough algae in your tank to sustain them? Because my tank was new, I have supplemented them with algae wafers and flakes. I think I have enough algae now though. I only clean the front side of my tank and leave the other walls, so that there are plenty of sucky surfaces for them.

Anyway, I shall google your panda garra....I'm intrigued...

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2013, 07:57:51 PM »
Hey Resa,

yeh there was algae in the tank, they made a great clean up crew along side the cories and shrimp. Algae is starting to creep back so I have noticed the difference being 3 ottos down. They were suplimented with algae wafers and blood worm. I hear they don't have a great time being transported etc so was rather sad to see them die :( The tank seems ok at this moment in time but keeping a close eye.

On a different note, I am planning on getting angel fish in the 200L and have read lots of different guidance on how many would suit my tank size 100cm x 40cm x 50cm? I was thinking 2 pairs? any advice please!?

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2013, 09:42:11 PM »
Hi both  :)

Quickly butting in......

Otos dont need just any old algae. Its brown algae thats important in their diet. I never clean all the glass in one go in my tank. I clean the front every week, along with the parts that can be seen/need doing on the back. I rarely do the side panels but when I do, I leave the back untouched until the following week. I too supplement with Algae Wafers.

Also, Otos can die for no apparant reason at any time. Ive had 4 healthy specimens for 3 years. One suddenly died only a couple of weeks ago  :'(

Anyone know their guestimated lifespan in home aquariums?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2013, 08:10:26 AM »
If you believe this site it's 4 to 5 years

Offline Resa

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2013, 03:49:41 PM »
Hi Chucklett,

Sorry to hear about your oto. :( I'm really fond of mine..I hope they last :-\
I'm a fishy down today...I found one of my original blue marble platy girls dead yesterday evening....very sad..I liked her, I only have one of my original three left now. She was very pregnant (again), perhaps she was worn out from all these babies...is that even possible, I wonder?

Resa
  :(

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2013, 04:07:40 PM »
If you believe this site it's 4 to 5 years
You also need to be aware that there are a pretty large number of different species that all go under the name of 'Oto'.  This data may, or may not be species dependent.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2013, 05:07:43 PM »
Oh no sorry to hear about your otto DJT and your platy Resa :-(

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2013, 08:59:13 PM »
Hi Resa  :)

Otos are lovely fish, such a shame the way they're treated  :-\

By the way, my understanding is that the first three months are the "do or die" period (not the one month you've read somewhere?) I cant remember where I got the 3 months from. It may have been Sue, or Don, in which case I'd be inclined to go with it! If it was elsewhere, then maybe someone was erring on the side of caution by giving the longer period? Maybe somone can clear this one up for us?

When I first got mine, they were so happy in their new home that I witnessed them spawning several times  ;D I pinched off two plant leaves with their eggs, popping the leaves in a floating fry trap. Incredible to see the tiny weenie eggs develop a little bit each day then finally hatch. The fry were sooooo small they slipped through the slats of the trap into the big wide world. Every so often I'd spot one in the tank. Occasionally I'd spot two at the same time. The last time I saw one, it would have been about 8 weeks old. It was on the front glass of the tank, a gigantic molly came up to it and it frantically swam off into the thick vallis. The molly didnt get it on that occasion, but I never saw either of them again. Still a lovely Oto story though!

Sorry to hear about your platy. Its never nice to find a dead fish in your tank. I dont know if its possible for her to have been so worn out from so many babies. Ive joked many times that Im glad Im not a molly!  :o

Offline ColinB

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2013, 10:54:12 AM »
Oh no - sorry to hear that, guys. It's always sad to lose a fish, and it's also especially worrying where there's no obvious cause. (My last fish death was obvious - the little idiot jumped out of the tank!!!)

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2013, 11:02:22 AM »
Ooo..now I've got to worry about kamikaze fish ;D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Eco 100 Tank - 200L project"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post December 08, 2012, 06:36:36 PM
by Murf
3 Replies
Last post November 16, 2014, 06:19:00 PM
by Richard W
78 Replies
Last post August 04, 2016, 10:33:14 AM
by Paddyc
18 Replies
Last post April 02, 2016, 01:09:58 PM
by Fiona
306 Replies
Last post July 19, 2016, 11:38:50 AM
by Cora
7 Replies
Last post May 24, 2016, 09:26:55 PM
by Fiona
31 Replies
Last post February 23, 2017, 08:38:36 PM
by MarquisMirage

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: