Dave...

Author Topic: Dave...  (Read 7047 times) 19 replies

Offline shakyj

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Dave...
« on: March 15, 2017, 11:11:47 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
So I got a Flex 34 for my birthday a bit back.

Decided to go planted and added a betta recently called dave

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Spotted Hoplo (1) - Tiger Barb (7) - Black Molly (5) - Sailfin Molly (2) - Featherfin Catfish (1) - Bristlenose Plec (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Ruby Barb (5) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Dave...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 07:58:26 AM »
I can't see your picture.  :(

Offline shakyj

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 11:13:04 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1

Spotted Hoplo (1) - Tiger Barb (7) - Black Molly (5) - Sailfin Molly (2) - Featherfin Catfish (1) - Bristlenose Plec (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Ruby Barb (5) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 12:18:11 PM »
Dave is a lovely looking chap and seems very happy with his nicely planted tank.
Well done.  :cheers:

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 06:38:14 PM »
Dave is indeed very handsome and I'm sure will be very happy in his lovely home.

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 08:30:35 PM »
Green/blue mustard gas half moon.  Very nice indeed.  Was it a UK breeder or import via somewhere like aquabid?  I'm curious as some time this year (most likely the last quarter) I'll be getting a new betta and the only purebred bettas I've seen are direct from Thailand.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 02:20:10 PM »
I've had some nice bettas from local shops. My current old man is an orange half moon and he came form Maidenhead Aquatics.

Offline shakyj

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 10:11:51 PM »
Green/blue mustard gas half moon.  Very nice indeed.  Was it a UK breeder or import via somewhere like aquabid?  I'm curious as some time this year (most likely the last quarter) I'll be getting a new betta and the only purebred bettas I've seen are direct from Thailand.
I got mine from Maidenhead in Ashton(Manchester). I went round about every LFS I know at least twice before finding him. A lot of them had the standard black with blue/green or red/blue ones and a few had some nice white + colour ones but he was the first mustard I found and quite unique from what everyone else was selling

Offline shakyj

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 10:15:18 PM »
Struggling with algae at the moment though and I'm not sure if he's bullied/killed one of the 2 amano shrimp in with him as I can only find one and he won't come out and eat the algae

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 10:21:55 PM »
My current lavender butterfly plakat (aka handsome boy) was from MA. Went to the store for something else, fell for the betta, and completely forgot what I'd originally gone shopping for.

Wait and see with the shrimp, they may just be having a bit of a rest, or moulting, or something. My betta shares a tank with panda cories and is very chilled about the whole thing. I have amano shrimp in several tanks, and as long as they have plenty of places to hide then they seem to be fine.

Offline shakyj

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 11:10:33 PM »
The tank looks like this at the moment and you can see the algae on the bogwood close up here which I got the 2 amano to remove but I can only ever see 1 and he's always under the stones and doesn't come out

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 06:17:48 AM »
Looking at your picture I would say that's not algae it's a fungus/mould associated with new pieces of wood that you can remove with a siphon, it may grow back a few times but after a couple of months should never return. It is not harmful to the fish/shrimp ext and whilst they probably would eat it, There does seem to be quite a lot in your photo. Have you tried manually removing it?

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 08:18:13 AM »
If it is what Matt says, and I agree that it looks like that too, the best way to remove it is to buy a cheap toothbrush ànd give it a scrub with that.

Offline shakyj

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 11:22:44 AM »
Looking at your picture I would say that's not algae it's a fungus/mould associated with new pieces of wood that you can remove with a siphon, it may grow back a few times but after a couple of months should never return. It is not harmful to the fish/shrimp ext and whilst they probably would eat it, There does seem to be quite a lot in your photo. Have you tried manually removing it?
I removed the wood and cleaned it all off about 3 days before that photo. I have this all over my grass which looks similar too

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2017, 12:10:37 PM »
It's hard to say exactly but the stuff on the grass does look a bit algae-ish. The stuff on the wood looks different, more like the white jelly I had on my wood when it was new.

If your betta has eaten your amano shrimp, you might think about nerite snails as algae eaters. They come in various sizes with the smaller ones being suitable for small tanks. Looking at this thread, I have a snail of type #1 in my betta's tank and the other small one I have is the bee snail (type #6). They came from Maidenhead Aquatics. With nerites, hardly anything is visible outside the shell, just a pair of thin antennae. There is very little little for a betta to get hold of. My current betta does flare at his snail when it is on the glass, but not when it's on the tank floor or decor.

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2017, 01:22:47 PM »
The Amano shrimp need a cave of some type to hide in.  That'll give them confidence to come out more to forage.  Maybe get a couple more as they're quite social.  Unless they were under 1 cm it's unlikely the betta ate one.  They can disappear for a while and resurface when least expected.  All normal behaviour and nothing to worry about.

Offline shakyj

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 02:07:00 PM »
The Amano shrimp need a cave of some type to hide in.  That'll give them confidence to come out more to forage.  Maybe get a couple more as they're quite social.  Unless they were under 1 cm it's unlikely the betta ate one.  They can disappear for a while and resurface when least expected.  All normal behaviour and nothing to worry about.
They have a cave from 2 bits of slate in an inverse V and the bog wood has a lot of nooks and crannies on the far side. If he's not into killing them I might get some more and add a wave shape ornament i have that will also create more caves.

I got a zebra snail for the tank yesterday too so that could help with the glass that's staring to get spots of algae on it.

I may have to put his light on a timer as it ends up staying on for longer than it probably should

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 02:12:57 PM »
A timer for lights is well worth buying. It means you can't forget to turn it off, and it means the light is on at the same time every day which is better for the fish.

Start with the lights on for 6 hours a day and see how the plants do with that. You can always increase later if the plants look like they need more.

Offline shakyj

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 04:26:36 PM »
I have loads of home automation stuff I just need to hook it up and set a schedule on it. In fact the 4 gang his tank is on is a energenie one I can automate. I just need to sort out a schedule for it. Always feels bad keeping him in the dark for too long.

Would turning down the brightness help too? It's a Fluval Flex 34 he's in with a remote you can do all the colours/brightness with

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 10:21:45 PM »
Yes adjusting the brightness will help too, I've found regular light timings have really helped my rams though so I'd say this was just as important :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Dave..."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post October 25, 2018, 11:16:12 PM
by Hampalong
54 Replies
Last post April 27, 2019, 04:05:10 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: