Mudskipper Tank Or Paludarium - Littlefish

Author Topic: Mudskipper tank or paludarium - Littlefish  (Read 10078 times) 36 replies

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Mudskipper tank or paludarium - Littlefish
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2017, 05:20:32 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
This calls for Snoopy.....

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2017, 05:40:04 PM »
Thanks Colin.  ;D
That was almost my reaction when the floating mudskipper started breathing.
A couple of the fish seem to have found territories that they like, and there has been some chasing around and jostling for position, but they all seem to be doing well at the moment.
They are funny little fellas.  ;D

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2017, 07:48:15 PM »
The whole thing has been an emotional rollercoaster already.
Good grief - so it was; quite a rollercoaster reading all about it too but thanks for sharing as it's been great to read all about the developments and almost "see" them unfold.

This calls for Snoopy.....
I had just been thinking that there were a few threads where we could have done with some of your pics; glad to see you've "obliged".  :D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2017, 08:17:01 AM »
All new arrivals have survived the night.
This little one does not appreciate having his/her picture taken and flashes their fin as a warning to leave them alone. Fair enough, I'm not really a morning person myself and can't summon a friendly response until my second coffee.  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2017, 08:56:08 AM »
I have been watching this thread with anticipation, and they are adorable. Funny looking things, but adorable  :)

I would never have the nerve to dosomething like this  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2017, 09:13:33 AM »
@Sue, with your fish experience you'd be able to do anything.

I've spent months researching mudskippers, since the day they were delivered to MA, and I nearly lost the plot over the whole thing earlier this week. The bum-clenching terror of getting in wrong and causing distress to the fish was worse this time than it has been with buying any other fish, or axolotls.

I haven't been keeping fish for very long, but with the support and advice I've got here I've been able to manage most situations, so thanks to everyone here, and a "high five" to the fishy forum friends.  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2017, 10:33:25 AM »
Well, after all the chaos of having to split the mudskippers up, etc. I was wondering if I could train them to eat out of a bowl to stop their bloodworms from making the sand dirty, and also wondering how long it would be until they settled down enough for me to be able to take some pictures.
The food bowl thing has been successful in the two tanks I've tried it in. I've used the smallest reptile feeding dishes I could find, and plan to get some more.
Last night I moved the female into the 200L tank to join the one male I'd left in there. Both had survived the night, but the male seems unhappy about having another fish in his tank. I got a coffee and sat on the floor in front of the tank to watch. He chased her around the tank, and when they were both on the sand, face to face, he opened his mouth really wide, and she didn't respond. The open mouth thing is the first part of the display of dominance, and another male would have responded with an open mouth. This could then escalate to flashing the fins, and eventually lead to physical contact. I'm hoping that he is starting to realise that she is not a threat to his territory, and eventually accepts her in the tank. I think I might try a bit of rearranging in the tank and see if that helps.
Whilst on the floor I built up a stack of books to rest the laptop on, and hid behind it. Eventually the male got used to the situation, came out of hiding, and I managed to get some pictures. Apologies for the quality though.
To start with the fella swims up to check the bowl for food.
He decides to approach the bowl from the water/log, rather than just jump in form the sand.
He jumps from the log to the bowl.
He spends a bit of time in the bowl eating bloodworms. Nom, nom, nom.
On leaving the bowl it's time for a quick dip to freshen up before returning to the log.

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2017, 04:23:38 PM »
My brain was filling in the commentary at the end with David Attenboroughs voice.  These mudskippers are so interesting!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2017, 09:29:52 PM »
I can see the large tank from where I am sitting, and I admit that I have spent a lot of time watching them today.
They are fascinating, and I'm still getting used to having them. Hopefully they will be fine in their current tanks for the time being. One of the ones in one of the quarantine tanks will be upgraded when the 80cm tanks arrive over the next week or so. Then the other one will either get his own 200L tank in the spare bedroom, or the 125L tank in the hallway if the tiger barbs get moved to the 200L tank.
I don't know how long it takes them to get to their full size, but I'm already thinking about how I'm going to house them when fully grown.  :yikes:
They are weirdly adorable, and their little faces are so cute.  ;D

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2017, 06:59:43 PM »
I dreamt about your mudskippers last night, then woke up during the night and had to check that they weren't in my bed, so vivid was the dream! :)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2017, 07:04:38 PM »
So how big will they get???

I'm not well up on mudskipper morphology and I can't be bothered to look it up... sorry! :-[

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2017, 08:38:19 PM »
I dreamt about your mudskippers last night, then woke up during the night and had to check that they weren't in my bed, so vivid was the dream! :)
That's a bit scary  :yikes:  sorry about that.  :-[  I hope that they don't cause any more vivid dreams and they were all in their tanks (with secure lids) before I went to bed last night.  :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2017, 08:45:45 PM »
So how big will they get???

I'm not well up on mudskipper morphology and I can't be bothered to look it up... sorry! :-[

I can only identify one of the four mudskippers confidently at the moment, and that's the one with the bright blue flash on his fin, which would be P. barbarus which can get to anywhere between 15 - 25cm. The larger sizes are only really found in the wild, so keeping my fingers crossed for mine staying at the slightly smaller end of the range.
I have no idea what species the other two males are, and they have both blue and brown/red flashes on their fins, and I can't find any firm identification for them. Perhaps it will become more obvious as they grow up, but they do also have the same body markings as the p. barbarus, so perhaps they are the same but a little younger (although they are the same size). As for the female, she doesn't have big, flashy fins, so completely lost as to how to identify her. There is a strong possibility that they are all the same species, but I really don;t know. I guess that's one of the problems with taking on and incorrect delivery from MA, they don;t have any information on exactly what the fish are.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2017, 07:36:07 PM »
After splitting up the mudskippers it got to the point that I needed a quarantine tank as one of the axolotls had injured his leg. What to do? I couldn't bring myself to go out and buy another tank as the living room was looking quite full of tanks, so I decided to put a divider in the 200L tank. The fish are still small, so it should be ok for a while, until I get the tanks sorted out elsewhere.
I've sewn fine garden mesh onto some large plastic mesh and split the tank. Both sides have access to water, and several hides and plants, and enough room for food bowls.  :)
The fish can see through the mesh, so they've spent a bit of time watching each other, but generally it's gone quite well. One of them broke through today, but no damage was done and I managed to usher him back to his own side.
They are quite active little fellas, and very entertaining to watch.
When I get the other 200L tank set up in the spare room I'll divide it and put the other 2 mudskippers into that one, get the living room sorted, then start thinking about how I'm going to house them when they grow up.  :yikes:   ;D

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2017, 07:51:03 PM »
I like the webbing.  Spider fish, spider fish, does whatever a spider fish wish?  Who needs a living room!  More tanks!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2017, 07:55:52 PM »
Don't encourage the situation, you're sounding like the guys at MA.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2019, 09:57:11 AM »
Well, my 4 mudskippers are still with me, and recent circumstances documented in https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/general-fishkeeping-chat/think-fish-keepers-daily-news/msg45196/?topicseen#new show that I have finally found out that my gang are P. septemradiatus.

They will be getting a new set up, all of which will be documented in https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/gallery-showcase/multi-tank-syndrome-confessions-of-an-mts-sufferer-by-littlefish/ so I can keep all my fish work in one place.  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Mudskipper tank or paludarium - Littlefish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
21 Replies
Last post August 28, 2016, 10:50:43 AM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post August 31, 2016, 08:25:00 AM
by Littlefish
14 Replies
Last post November 20, 2016, 08:51:54 PM
by Littlefish
37 Replies
Last post January 05, 2017, 08:01:05 AM
by fcmf
19 Replies
Last post March 05, 2017, 12:53:17 PM
by Littlefish
144 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 08:47:30 PM
by Littlefish
156 Replies
Last post April 09, 2018, 07:24:38 AM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: