Black Phantom Tetras

Author Topic: Black Phantom Tetras  (Read 5943 times) 9 replies

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
Black Phantom Tetras
« on: July 12, 2014, 07:39:36 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,

Wanted to share my newest additions with you all.

I bought 5 Black Phantom Tetras on Wednesday and they are fab little fish. I have 3 females and 2 males but I am going to get a few more females as they look so lovely when they shoal, a bigger group will look great!! 

I currently have them in quarantine (see - I am learning!!)  and I will move them in a couple of weeks time to the big tank if everyone is happy.

They  were a bit nervy for the first two days but I left the lights off and left them in peace and then one of the males came out and chatted with me and the rest of the gang followed. Watching them feed is fantastic. They dart so fast to get the food, I just love 'em to bits!!!    :-*

Fish keeping is great when it goes well!!!!   :fishy1:

FC

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Black Phantom Tetras
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 09:52:46 AM »
Lovely photos  :D

It's always a good moment when the fish settle in and start coming out to see you  :))

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 10:21:21 AM »
lovely looking fish :)

Offline Richard W

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 07:03:31 AM »
I've concluded that most of the tetras, barbs, danios, rasboras and corydpras are pretty tough and "easy care" fish. That's why I'm sticking to them for my tanks. Most problems, judging from this forum. seem to come from overbred fish, especially livebearers, or the more unusual fish. Unfortunately, it is the latter which often look more appealing in the shop, but in my opinion a nice group of small shoaling fish which have settled in, developed their true colours and interact with each other, are the more attractive and interesting in the long run. You can also get more of them into a normal sized tank.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 08:23:28 AM »
I agree with everthing everybody has said. Great fish, and I too believe that a large shoal of the same species is far better than a pick'n'mix way of stocking. Catfish on the bottom, barbs in the lower half and tetras/rasboras all over the place - what's not to love?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 05:32:10 PM »
Hi!

Wanted to give quick update on Black Phantoms.   Got 3 more females today and they settled straight in with the others and they all look stunning!!!

Also discovered whilst looking at the other fish there a celestial pearl danio - yes I did say A celestial pearl danio. All on his own with a Male Betta.  I asked why he was the only one and the chap said he was the last one left and others had been sold.

Anyway, I bought him coz he looked so lonely in that empty tank I felt quite sad for him.  He has joined the Phantoms quite happily and stays in the middle of the shoal (where it's safe!) and they seem to tolerate him really well!!!!!  He's so ickle!!!!

I'm going to get some more so he has mates when the Phantoms are settled in the big tank.  I have a question regarding moving them. Should I move them all together or in two groups??  I don't want to overload the filter and upset things in the big tank.

One other query I have is my GH and KH seem to be high (GH = 14-21/ KH= 15. My PH is around 7)   I asked the chap in MA and he sold me some RO water.  Is this the best thing to do? I've been advised to add it at a ration of 5:1 (5 parts RO to 1 part tap) which I plan to do tomorrow when I do a water change but I wondered if I actually need to worry about these values (KH and GH) or if I could have saved myself some money?

Advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

FC

Offline ColinB

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 07:12:55 PM »
One other query I have is my GH and KH seem to be high (GH = 14-21/ KH= 15. My PH is around 7)   I asked the chap in MA and he sold me some RO water.  Is this the best thing to do? I've been advised to add it at a ration of 5:1 (5 parts RO to 1 part tap) which I plan to do tomorrow when I do a water change but I wondered if I actually need to worry about these values (KH and GH) or if I could have saved myself some money?

Advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

FC

We've told you before about listening to advice from the shop! Go and sit on the naughty step for hour. :))

If you do a 50:50 RO:tap then you'll halve your GH and KH, because only of the water change water is tap water. This will bring your tap water down to 7-10 which is fine. He was thinking of all the RO water he could sell you.

I do a 50:50 rain water to tap to bring my GH down to 8. The rain water from the water butt has worked fine for me and my piscine pals.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 04:47:46 AM »
man those lil suckers sure are gorgeous aren't they thats why i have about twenty of them in a 20 gallon tank

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 07:29:27 PM »
Hi all, hope you're enjoying the heat!!!!!  8)

Sad news. One of my female phantoms has died.  I just found her.  I gave her a good look over and there didn't appear to be anything wrong with her visibly and I've been thinking about why she died.

Possibly the heat, although I am trying to keep the tanks cool with fans and icy bottles, but then I thought of another possibility - when I spotted her she was floating just inside an ornament - a fake bit of wood that is hollow all the way through so good for hiding in. I wondered if she could have got stuck in there and drowned???  Or is this very unlikely?

Anyway, I think I'll take the ornament out and replace it with something a bit less risky!!  I've popped some more pics on as I thought it would be nice to show my little celestial pearl shoaling with the phantoms !!!!  :fishy1:

FC

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 09:56:44 AM »
I have found that it is quite common for fish to just die within a week or two of purchase. This is why I always buy a couple more than I really want of shoaling fish. I would put it down to that. If the fish wasn't actually wedged in the ornament, that won't be the cause of death - it's only fish like gouramis and bettas that drown. I have noticed over the years that a fish that is about to die will go somewhere they don't need to actively swim, often into a plant. I suspect they find it easier than having to swim to stop being blown around the tank by the filter.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Black Phantom Tetras"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post March 07, 2014, 06:28:26 PM
by Sue
37 Replies
Last post June 18, 2014, 07:49:02 PM
by Digs1923
34 Replies
Last post May 31, 2014, 10:17:33 AM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post August 11, 2014, 10:25:58 AM
by Cazzybaby
2 Replies
Last post March 02, 2016, 09:39:17 AM
by Paddyc
1 Replies
Last post May 07, 2017, 09:32:39 AM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post August 03, 2020, 07:58:46 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: