Aquaoak 360L - Fresh Build From The Ground Up - EvolutionStu.

Author Topic: Aquaoak 360L - Fresh build from the ground up - EvolutionStu.  (Read 18996 times) 76 replies

Offline Evolution Stu

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi Folks,
I am a new member on here, I am certainly no expert but I have previous experience from long before I used forums so a lot of what I know is probably well outdated now. Thats why I am here, to learn more.

This is a tweaked topic from another forum I use that is sadly closing down, so the timeline will be fast as its actually up and running fine now, but I thought folks may enjoy reading about the journey...

So, after well over ten years away from the hobby my 7yr old daughter recently wanted her first aquarium (She lives with her mum 20 miles away) and I took her to Maidenhead Aquatics in Blackpool, bought her an 80L setup and fell in love with the hobby again myself.

The very next day I ordered the Aqua Oak 160WR. (330Litres) I have always wanted a piece of furniture like this but could never afford it. 

Unfortunately, I was dismayed to learn there is a 4-6wk waiting list!

Oh well, I figure there was no point in wasting time, I might as well crack on and order some stuff and then start a fishless cycle. I planned to have South American Cichlids again along with some Plecos and dither fish so I am doing as much overkill as I can to ensure everything is well catered for. :) I have bought as follows.

Lighting:
Ive gone LED with adjustable brightness of all colours individually, on off timer with automated sunrise / sunset and moonlighting etc along with some daft features I wont use like synthesised cloud cover and lightening displays. Its the  "Current USA Sattellite Plus - Pro"
http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/satellite-led-fixtures/satellite-led-pro/

Filtration:
2x Fluval 406's with added Fluval Biomax and Seachem Matrix
http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/ca/product/A217-406-canister-filter/#.V0InIL44Olc

Heating:
Fluval E300
http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/ca/product/A774-e300-advanced-electronic-heater/#.V0InQL44Olc

Since I already had these filters....

I decided to build them up...

And then get them running in here with some King Prawns!

Naturally, a couple of days of that and I was drained of trying to siphon water in and out of those for testing, not to mention the wifes regularly voiced concerns over the safety of the dining room chairs, so I figured what the hell, I will need a quarantine tank one day anyway, so off I went to the LFS... and came back with this bargain 50L unit!

A few hours later... Its all setup in our spare room looking like this.

Water flow is a little erm, overkill!

But things are happening...

So while I wait patiently, I might as well make the quarantine tank look homely in case I ever need to use it.

And then a breakthrough on Friday! I had totally forgotten my friend has a serious 6000 Gallon Koi setup with a LOT of large KOI, and he kindly offered to give me a whole bucket of mature media! What a bonus! The stuff looks like this... (A snap I took of what I had left over)

So I got this bucket of media and went about carefully dropping the temperature of my tank and raising the temperature of his media over a few hours before putting them into my Fluvals. I filled a whole cartridge on each filter with it.

ONE day later...

And that was it for a few days.... I was just waiting for that magic call from MA.

Offline Evolution Stu

• Fishy Member
Re: Aquaoak 360L - Fresh build from the ground up.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 10:22:33 AM »
**Update**

So... I have decided I want some quality UV Sterilisation on this aquarium and after lots of research I have gone with the TMC Vecton V2 200 which is the biggest that will physically go inside the cabinet.

Because this isnt technically the right model for my system (UV's are based on flow rate) I cant put it on the Fluval 406 as the dwell time will be too low and will leave me with nothing more than a water clarifier.

So, since I want the ability to perform genuine Level 2 sterilisation I am going to hook it up to its own external Fluval 106 to ensure I never exceed its quoted max flow rate of 680LPH.

The Fluval 106 will be stocked with sponge and fine polishing media to keep the quartz clean and its fully adjustable for flow rate so I can get the dwell time perfect.

At full flow it should perform clarifying and level 1 sterilisation no bother at all based on a 25% flow rate drop through media and water head but when I get chance I will measure it all properly with the pipework all cut to size and installed at its final head height. Once done, I will adjust it to the highest flow for level two sterilisation and just leave it there.

Ive got it all installed on the 50L quarantine tank now so for smiles, do you think this qualifies as the worlds most over filtered 50 litre tank?

I also got most of the tank internals together and spent a lot of time cleaning. I wasnt happy with the sand colours I could buy so i tested some in my quarantine tank and then opted for a mixture of two different sands which I "hope" will look just how I want.

And then my daughter and I got in some aquascaping practice!

Offline Evolution Stu

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 10:22:39 AM »
Second week... What have I done?

Well, ive bought a second Fluval heater for safety and some electrical sockets and such like to outfit the cabinets with, but I remembered that I am still short of any rocks or slate.

With that in mind I decided I would pop to our local quarry (4hrs round trip... lol) and obtain some last night.

Here is my wife looking around carefully for the elusive slate...

After some scrubbing in buckets I now had enough to do whatever I wanted with.

Which is proving harder than expected.

Aquascaping is a real skill, and one I don't posses. I will keep practicing!

Offline Evolution Stu

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 10:22:45 AM »
Finally, a decent update! Johannah from MA in Blackpool just called me... The tank has arrived. :)
She kindly stayed behidn so I could pick it up after work too. :)

I enlisted the help of my wife, daughter and a friend and soon had it up on its stand and the black background applied. I was going to leave it at that but just couldnt so I added some substrate, filled it with 200litres and gave it a good scrub down then drained and refilled it again.

I got the 2x Fluval E300's in there and some mains wiring. Ive added a switchable 6 socket rail to each cabinet so i have plenty of local power.

And then I got carried away about 1am and got to installing the first filter of 3, a Fluval 106 who's sole job is to run the UV Steriliser which I also fitted and plumbed in.

Then of course I just had to get the Current Satellite LED Pro Plus installed. Love this light. If it proves reliable, I just cant imagine anything better! I cant wait to play with this and program in some custom colour schemes.

Its VERY thin, with no heatsinks or fans. (My only worry)

And lit up in one of its standard modes, it looks lovely.

These guys havent long to wait now until they move into their new home.

So far so good... Just got to polish off a couple of race cars on the dyno so I can get home and do something more interesting! Adding the Internals. :)

I must admit, i was a little unsure how to go about moving the filters and fish across at the same time as my BB is spread across all three filters, one of which is now in this tank leaving the other two to support the bioload in the little 50 litre. I guess in an ideal world I just move both 406's across along with the fish in a short a time frame as possible. But I would like some testing time with it all running before I add livestock to it. Hmm...

Offline Evolution Stu

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 10:22:55 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
So, after work the next day we got to work installing all the tank internals and doing our first aquascaping job. I got frustrated with it and gave up... so the wife took over and I must say she has done an excellent job.

I really like what she has done with it.

Im also very happy with the substrate colour we mixed up... its just the tone I wanted. I am sure we will change the layout a lot as time goes on and we will be going back to the lakes to collect more rockwork now that we have an idea what we need as Mandys not happy with the rock side of things.

The little Fluval 106 has its work cut out clearing that water now, and the heaters are reporting low flow at the moment... but In the next 48hrs I will take the 2x Fluval 406s off the quarantine tank and install them too, along with the fish. Cant wait. :)

Offline Evolution Stu

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 10:30:58 AM »
Everythings now in and running fine - but as I expected, the hum from the three fluval external filters is driving me nuts.

In my workshop I use an anti vibration mat from Draper that sits under such things as grinders and pillar drills to damn oscillations from motors. I figured it would work well in this situation so I cut some to size and put it under the filter. 100% Improvement.

But the pipes now hum where they contact the cabinet. Some pipe insulation easily sorted that. It looks rubbish, but works well.

I was also a little concerned about the tension on the weak looking UV hose tails, so to take the strain off ive fitted a few hose supports here and there.

I replicated all those fixes in the other cupboard too.

The water has cleared up well and the dining room is finished off nicely.

Most importantly, the boys are all happy. :)

My next problem is my water hardness... its not ideal at all.

Offline Evolution Stu

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 10:35:10 AM »
So... I have been learning all about water hardness and figuring out how best to deal with the TDS of 200+ from the tap and 300+ in the tank.

Im pretty settled on South American Cichlids and Pleco's etc so need to soften this water a little for the boys... It's the right thing to do.

And so it begins... A quick trip to Maidenhead Aquatics and I'm back home with this...
What could possibly go wrong?

Groan... Except Rubbish water pressure to go with my rubbish water. Story of my life that... I spend all day every day looking for more boost as part of my job, and now I try and plumb in a simple system at home and need to add more boost to that too!!

Booster pump now ordered. Rah!!

Offline Evolution Stu

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 10:37:31 AM »
**This post almost replicates one I have on here asking for help - apologies for any confusion, but I figure its a great part of this tank blog so would like to include it - its part of this journey. :) **

So... I got the RO unit hooked in and have done some testing.

While I was at it, I plumbed in a dual TDS meter to monitor TDS in and out and added a couple of taps to halt flow should I want to.

My TDS into the RO unit:

My TDS out of the RO unit:

Ive installed a water butt to collect the RO and am on with planning a pumping system to end my days of carry buckets, but thats another topic.

So.. On with a long night of testing...

I tested the tap again.

PH - 7.4
KH - 107 (6d)
GH - 179 (10d)
TDS - 209

And tested my RO.

PH - 6.4
KH - 0
GH - 0
TDS - 8

My first test is 50/50 as thats the simplest option and doesnt as far as I can deduce, need me to mess about remineralising it. That mix gives me.

PH - 7.2
KH - 53.7 (3d)
GH - 125.3 (7d) (Surprised this ddnt half?)
TDS - 102

I am reading that a KH value under 4d will give me unstable PH. Not sure what to do about that. Will have to try a different mix first of all, but how close to 4 can you hover safely? I dont know. :(

Im tempted to run 100% RO and remineralise it to exactly what I want. First of all I guess I need to settle on a figure that I want. At the moment, with an unstocked tank thats proving pretty tricky, especially with all the conflcting advice out there!

Ah well... im committed now, got to look after my boys. :)

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 10:44:10 AM »
Great post..... that shows a real committment to looking after your fish. The tank looks lovely in the room.

mmmm - must show MrsB, me thinks.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Evolution Stu

• Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 10:56:39 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Great post..... that shows a real committment to looking after your fish. The tank looks lovely in the room.

mmmm - must show MrsB, me thinks.

Thanks Colin, I appreciate that.
Over the years I had all the problems we all get, finrot, whitespot, unexplained deaths, numerous failed attempts at keeping Zebra and Gold Nugget plecs... all the joy and tears that go with it.

Now I am in a better position to do it right first time, thats what I want to do. The internet is of course a massive help, I didnt have it back then and just listened to the LFS's advice which, in many ways I am now sure was my downfall.

That said - this water hardness is a quandary I am not totally comfortable just yet. Im sure once its all sank in it will become second nature as with anything in life you put your mind to. But the advice online is so diverse its all just a little muddy right now.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 12:07:35 PM »
That is one seriously good looking tank. The equipment you are running is most impressive but even more impressive is your planning and building of the power outlets and routing of piping, location of filters etc...

Kudos to your missus on the aquascaping, excellent job. From comparing the depth of the tank to the length of her arms I know from my own experience (70cm tall tank) that it ain't easy getting high enough to reach down to the substrate.... So well done.

As a piece of furniture it looks stunning. I followed your link but couldn't see a price for the LED system you have. It looks maybe a bit overkill for what I need what with a cloudy/thunderstorm setting but I definitely like the sunrise/sunset and moonlight thing. I was thinking of building a custom setup but if the price is right I could consider this...

I have to second Colin as well... Where's the wine? Get that rack stocked!!  :rotfl:

:cheers:

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 12:15:37 PM »
Thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts Stu  :) Lovely looking tank  :)

Our Sue is pretty awesome with chemistry if you need advice.

and of course welcome  :wave:

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 12:26:36 PM »
Thank you for the vote of confidence Fiona  :)

Stu - I do have a rather old degree in chemistry and my younger son spent 5 years as an analyst with what at the time was the largest water testing company in the UK, so between us we can usually answer most water chemistry questions  ;D

And I agree with the previous posts, that is a seriously good looking tank.

Offline Cora

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 01:44:53 PM »
Hi Stu

this is all so impressive - your preparation, your gear, your setup, the tank, the pictures...

You and your family should be really proud of what you've done! And I'm a little jealous! :)

Offline Evolution Stu

• Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 02:18:50 PM »
 :yikes: wow, all these kind comments. I won't quote everyone individually but instead say a big thanks to you all, it's great to know you have enjoyed my little journey to an unexpected RO hell. Lol.

The wine rack - yes, firmly in the wife's court. I'm not reminding her as I don't like the mere thought of things clanking in and out of the unit and scaring the fish! I've suggested a nice green hanging plant type thingy... Time will tell. Probably 16 bottles of rose wine I expect. Lol

Paddy - Ref the light, search eBay for "Current satellite plus Pro Led" and you will find it. Much cheaper and more compact the the TMC Illuminaire product and the American aquarists seem to rate it very highly. Certainly it's FAR exceeded my expectations. Each of the 4 colours are adjustable in brightness from 0 - 100% brightness individually so you can create any spectrum you like and save it as a memory, including the timed daylight and moonlight settings.

Can't fault it. If your ever local to Blackpool, ping me a message, your welcome to try it out while I brew up and see for yourself if it suits your plans.

Sue - I'm already draining the life from you on my HELP topic. Lol. Thanks again. :)

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 02:53:53 PM »
As I thought, price wise... Something I just can't afford at the moment... Everything is going towards the holiday pot... If you get a chance to read my own progress thread in the Gallery showcase you'll get an idea of the stress we've been through with moving house twice in well under a year... So we thought sod it, we all need a holiday  8)

Very kind of you to stick the kettle on, if I'm ever down your nick of the woods I'll give you a shout. I have a cousin in Fleetwood...  :)

It's a shame you're facing a struggle with hard water. I have to say I'd go with Sue's advice that you will have a more robust and reliable maintenance routine with the 50/50 mixing as opposed to pure RO with remineralisation... God that's a big word!

From an ongoing cost perspective as well, if you can get your mix right and stick to a rigid water change routine there's no reasonable reason you should encounter many issues... The work will get easier over time, as you already suggested  ;)

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 05:25:39 PM »
I can only echo what others have said.

That's a seriously good looking tank!

Great photos and a very informative blog. Thanks for sharing.  :cheers:

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Evolution Stu

• Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 09:10:12 PM »
As I thought, price wise... Something I just can't afford at the moment... Everything is going towards the holiday pot... If you get a chance to read my own progress thread in the Gallery showcase you'll get an idea of the stress we've been through with moving house twice in well under a year... So we thought sod it, we all need a holiday  8)

Thanks Paddy,
Totally agree mate, get away. No point having a nervous breadown just to have pretty lights above water. All in good time. :)

I agree ref the 50/50 so ive literally just finished the first RO water change.
I will pop an update on here in a moment and then sit down wit a brew and a pot noodle to read your tale. I love a decent blog. :)

The offer is still open when your next in Fleetwood mate.

Simon, thanks, glad your enjoying it.
More coming up!

Offline Evolution Stu

• Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 09:35:01 PM »
So... I got the booster pump and fitted it, temporarily for now as I just need some RO!

And now we have pressure. Too much pressure I think. A tad over 110PSI. I will call them tomorrow, but for now ive restricted the outlet a little to drop it to nearer 100psi.

So... its water change day and I have decided on 50% RO and 50% Tapwater. I mixed some up in the big green water butt and added a little temp gauge to get the temperature right. I will hook this in permanently at some point.

My 50/50 mix has brought me down from 223ppm to 117ppm. So far so good...

Now... todays water change will be a little different. All the time I have been building this aquarium ive had it in my head I am NOT spoending another ten years carrying buckets of water. So I have made a plan, and today will finally see if it works.

Maidenhead Aquatics sell these little water change pumps. I was going to use a pond pump until google revealed this, so I took a punt on it for £30.

I added some hoze with hozelock connectors on it. And dangled it in the tank. Its connected to my garden hose which runs right through the dining room window and out to the garden drain.

In the middle I have added a hosepipe flow meter. This cool little device will show me live litres per minute.

Along with a live counter showing what volume of water has flowed through it.

As you can see, at almost 5 litres per minute, it should shift my required 50 litres in ten minutes. So I sat and had a brew and watched it empty feeling very pleased with myself I must say. :)

Once it was done, i disconnected it and then added a spray head to the hose and put it back in the tank. The hose was then run right round the rear of the house and into the garage and the pump put in the water butt. Once powered up... hey presto... its pumping the RO mix straight back into the tank. :)

Its a bit slower at 3.8litres a minute... due to the length its pumping I guess.

However... I reckon thats not a bad thing anyway, better to pour it back in slowly... this was proved by the fact the fish carried on as normal, totally unaware a water change was even taking place!

So... all in all, a great day. Im well pleased this water change idea works, its going to make the 100 - 150 litre a week watere change a joy instead of a chore.

And I reckon the boys will never even notice!

Time for another brew... and maybe some brione shrimp for the lads!

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2016, 10:03:13 PM »
 :yikes: I followed the URL to that last image to see it at higher resolution:

http://www.stewartsandersonphotography.co.uk

Wow!
There are some stunning shots hosted here. I'm in awe of your skills.  :cheers:

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Aquaoak 360L - Fresh build from the ground up - EvolutionStu."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
20 Replies
Last post August 22, 2013, 09:34:21 AM
by ColinB
6 Replies
Last post December 03, 2013, 12:03:40 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post February 20, 2015, 09:28:54 PM
by MikeAqua
2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2015, 08:12:47 AM
by Extreme_One
7 Replies
Last post September 26, 2015, 09:24:29 AM
by Alex_N
281 Replies
Last post September 03, 2023, 01:07:43 AM
by Matt
2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2019, 07:24:52 PM
by Nan

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: