6' Planted Tropical Aquarium *Project*

Author Topic: 6' Planted Tropical Aquarium *Project*  (Read 6208 times) 18 replies

Offline Darren_lines

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
6' Planted Tropical Aquarium *Project*
« on: March 15, 2016, 11:37:49 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
This is my latest project, a 6'(w) x 24"(h) x 18"(d) Seabray aquarium. When finished it will be a planted tropical aquarium with a sump based filter. Everything other than the aquarium and the main tank of the sump will be DIY. So far I've built the frame, added the panelling (needs adjusting slightly), and built the hood including the mounting rails for the main lighting. The display tank will have a syphon overflow system to take the water down to the sump, where it will pass through a filter sponge, fluidised bed, and reverse lit refugium, before entering the return compartment, where the heaters will keep the temperature maintained and the return pump will get the clean water back up to the display tank.

On top of all this, it will be running a constant water-change system. Water from the house cold supply will pass through 2 sediment filters, a carbon filter, and possibly a nitrate filter, before being split, semi-passing through a DI filter, before rejoining and heading to the tank. The idea of all the filters and the split DI is so that I can feed the fresh water into the tank, free of chlorine and at a set TDS so that I could keep shrimp if I choose to. The fresh water will drip into the display tank at a rate at around 20% total volume a week. In the sump's return section, there is an overflow pipe that keeps the total volume of water consistent by losing the same amount of (old) water as the amount that's dripped in to the top.

Offline Darren_lines

• Fishy Member
Re: 6' Planted Tropical Aquarium *Project*
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 11:44:46 AM »
Building - The stand

The stand is constructed from 63x36mm timber based on a design by Joey, "The King of DIY" on YouTube. If anything, the design of this stand is a bit overkill, but at least there's no way of it failing. It seems to be a much stronger version of the designs used in LFS' to build their sale and display stands. This framework was topped with 18mm marine ply surfaces on both the top and bottom levels.

A layer of 2" foam was added to even out the pressure of the base, and the tank was finally installed. I've owned this aquarium for around 7 years, so this was a pretty major step, actually getting it in the flat and on the stand.

Next I got some 18mm furniture boards to make the cabinetry. Fortunately most of this was cut by the store, so it's all nice and square, as well as saving me a tonne of time and mess. The cabinet doors fit directly to the framework using magnetic catches, making every panel easily removable for accessing the sump, inlet filters,  CO2 canisters, and whatever else I keep in there.

Offline Darren_lines

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 11:57:30 AM »
Lighting
I'll be making my own lighting rig from scratch using TC420 controllers and high power LEDs. The main aquarium lights will be made up of 5 pairs (possibly triples) of 10watt LEDs, with varying colour spectrums to mimic daylight. There will also be strips of red and blue LEDs in the top that I can use to tweak the light tone and add a moonlight glow at night. Enhancing the moonlight blue LEDs will be a single white spotlight to mimic the moon. The sump will have an LED light source for the refugium section only, this will be on at an opposing time to the main display tank.

So, why the different colours? Quite simply I'm trying to mimic the natural light throughout the day. When the sun rises, it's closer to warm white, in the middle of the day, cool white, and sun set has those beautiful red/purple tones which I'll replicate to with full spectrum LEDs, used mainly in hydroponics.

#Invalid YouTube Link include https#

The lights will illuminate and fade from left to right over the 10 hour photo-period, with the colours naturally fading as it goes. I may need to change set 4 to a pair of cool white and set 5 to cool white/full spectrum if the effect is too pronounced.

Offline Darren_lines

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 12:04:34 PM »
Decor
I've just won myself an awesome piece of bogwood on eBay too, I'll be picking it up on Saturday. You can't really see in the image, but it's approx 3' long, should be a good start  :D

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 01:19:12 PM »
I'm fascinated by the filtration system.

Please tell about the thinking behind the 'refugium'.

I've not come across this concept before. Is this something that's used in Marine setups?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Darren_lines

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 07:39:04 PM »
I'm fascinated by the filtration system.

Please tell about the thinking behind the 'refugium'.

I've not come across this concept before. Is this something that's used in Marine setups?
The filter is something a little different. I'd say most tropical tanks use an internal or canister filter, but I thought I'd try something different, borrowing some thoughts from marine systems.

The first stage is something that most people will have in their tanks, a sponge. Ill be using this as a mechanical filter to get the larger bits of crud out of the water. It'll be a large, thick sponge, or I'll have to large sponges of different densities.

The next stage is the fluidised bed. I've seen other tropical set-ups use these, some pond filters also use them. It's basically Kaldnes K1 media which is constantly rotated by air. The K1 has a massive bio area and the beneficial bacteria populate it well and feed on the ammonia and nitrite. The reason to have it fluidised is so that older, less efficient bacteria gets knocked off and young bacteria takes its place; it also knocks off any stray bits of detritus that's sneaked past the sponge(s).

The next stage is the experimental part, the refugium. In marine tanks these contain live rock and clean-up crew, and are used to grow micro-critters that are beneficial to the aquarium but can be eaten by residents of the display tank. I'm using it for similar things, in that I'll keep some shrimp in there, which I could use to boost the shrimp population in the main tank if I need to. It will also be planted pretty heavily and lit on an opposing schedule to the display tank. The thought behind this is that plants use CO2 when lit, but expel it when it's dark, therefore, the plants in the refugium may reduce the amount of CO2 that I'd need to inject, it will also add balance, reducing fluctuations in the water parameters caused during the different photo periods.

The last stage is the heating, waste overflow, and return pump compartment. Other than the waste overflow, this bit is pretty much standard equipment.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 07:48:29 PM »
I'm really impressed by the Refugium concept. The CO2 experiment is very interesting and makes a lot of sense.

Fascinating project. I can't wait to see it progress.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline BlindDogStanley

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 08:11:42 PM »
Great carpentry skills - the tank cabinet looks really well made. It has to be with the dimensions involved. The whole setup looks impressive.

I may have misinterpreted your excellent technical drawings but will the pipe/tube from the filter pass through the bottom of the tanks? i.e you have to cut the glass and seal it?

Looking forward to the updates. :)

I understand the fluidised bed but I'm intrigued with the "the Refugium concept" couldn't really get a definitive answer from google, could you explain more?  :fishy1:

Offline Darren_lines

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 10:48:26 AM »
Great carpentry skills - the tank cabinet looks really well made. It has to be with the dimensions involved. The whole setup looks impressive.

I may have misinterpreted your excellent technical drawings but will the pipe/tube from the filter pass through the bottom of the tanks? i.e you have to cut the glass and seal it?

Looking forward to the updates. :)

I understand the fluidised bed but I'm intrigued with the "the Refugium concept" couldn't really get a definitive answer from google, could you explain more?  :fishy1:
Thanks, though the frame looks better in the photos than it does up close ;)

The drawing is a bit confusing as I've put the pipework to the front, mainly so that I could see it and work it out better. I was going to drill the tank but decided against it, so this is working on a syphon overflow system. This side view may give a better idea.

The solid coloured tube is inside the semi-transparent tube. The tank water overflows into the semi-transparent tube and the syphon lifts it up the tube in the middle, over the side of the the tank, and down to the sump. The idea was borrowed from Joey - #Invalid YouTube Link include https#

Offline BlindDogStanley

• Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 07:11:19 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I watched the video - Joey seems to make it oh so easy! I've watched some of his videos before - The DIY aquarium. It's like a lot of things a combination of practical skills and confidence. Good luck with it all and keep us posted.  :)

Offline Darren_lines

• Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 12:12:26 PM »
The overflows are pretty easy, I've already made 3 (of the older design) for my dad's marine tanks, and they all work rather well. The only issue I may have is that I may not have enough holes in the top of the outer tube. In theory, they should flow 1/3rd more water than the up tube inside, but we'll have to see how it pans out in practice. I do have the option of lowering the outer tubes and adding some plastic mesh to the top to extend it upwards, but I'd rather err this way, to try and keep the water line as high as possible and up inside the lid.

Offline Darren_lines

• Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 01:22:00 PM »
A little bit of an update. I've got all the wood for the aquarium, just need to find some nice rocks now :)

And I've bought the return pump to get the water back from the sump to the main tank. It's a DC, controllable unit that has a slow turn on (extends pump life) and a feeding mode. I'm pretty impressed, even with the open 1" outlet in the video it was still chucking a fair bit of water about. I should be getting around 2800 litres per hour taking into account the height the water has to be pushed.

#Invalid YouTube Link include https#

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 04:41:36 PM »
It's looking good.  8)

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 05:32:48 PM »
Lovely wood!

Offline Darren_lines

• Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 07:24:02 PM »
Thanks Donna :) That's my moon LED I'm testing, loving the shadows it's throwing, though it will most likely be dimmer once it's fully set up.

Thanks Simon, All from eBay. Miles cheaper than MHA and other LFS. Still, about £100 in wood, just don't tell the wife lol ;D

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2016, 09:22:56 PM »
How're you going to stop it floating off Darren?

Offline Darren_lines

• Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 10:04:45 PM »
How're you going to stop it floating off Darren?
It should all sink. I was told the large piece of bogwood takes about 2 weeks. But I'm going to sneakily attach it to some big rocks just to make certain ;)

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2016, 10:12:06 PM »
Wood soon becomes waterlogged.

My biggest piece took two weeks.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2016, 01:09:58 PM »
But I'm going to sneakily attach it to some big rocks just to make certain ;)

Ahh I did wonder how you'd do it.  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "6' Planted Tropical Aquarium *Project*"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post December 08, 2012, 06:36:36 PM
by Murf
104 Replies
Last post May 11, 2014, 05:30:51 PM
by daniel_james_taylor
2 Replies
Last post July 06, 2013, 07:16:30 PM
by maz1
3 Replies
Last post November 16, 2014, 06:19:00 PM
by Richard W
0 Replies
Last post July 25, 2015, 09:31:38 PM
by Barney626
78 Replies
Last post August 04, 2016, 10:33:14 AM
by Paddyc
31 Replies
Last post February 23, 2017, 08:38:36 PM
by MarquisMirage

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: