320lt - 2 Years On

Author Topic: 320lt - 2 years on  (Read 5243 times) 11 replies

Offline Richard123

• Fishy Contributor
320lt - 2 years on
« on: November 19, 2012, 03:26:53 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Afternoonall,

Have a touch of 'man flu' so I thought I would drop a quick photo or two of the last couple
of years whilst in the comfort of home and a drop of medicine  :o

I can't believe it is 2 years ago that we bought our tank from MA, Like most, as a child
always interested in the large aquariums at zoo's and parks etc. Never thought of
owning one until a guy spent a couple of hours talking to me in a MA outlet on the outskirts
of Oxford and then, wow in at the deep end...........

Aug/Sept 2010

Offline Richard123

• Fishy Contributor
Re: 320lt - 2 years on
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 03:34:35 PM »
Hi again, I don't seem to have got the hand in getting the correct size
of photo to upload.

Anyway that was 2010, a year on 2011.............

Offline Richard123

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 03:41:11 PM »
Well that one was a little larger when you double click on it  :)

Moving on to Nov 2012.................

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 06:31:30 PM »
Hi Richard  :)

Interesting to see the tank annually! The tank appears to look greener last year than the latest photo. Have you recently pruned the plants back and/or thinned them out? And dare I ask what happened to your red plant (alternanthera?) in the back right corner? (shrimps dessimated mine  :( )

Im not meaning for the above to sound critical, so please dont read it that way! Your tank is looking great. You have some lovely wood in there and your fish look great. Am I right in thinking you have JBL Manado?

Man-Flu eh  ???  Hope you feel better soon  ;)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 07:55:10 PM »
It is really interesting to see how your tank has changed each year.

Have the fish and plant stock changed much each year? Or is it just plant growth that makes the tank look different?

Have the changes been due to successes and failures or to your changing tastes? I have noticed over the last year, that the fish and plants I want to put in my tank has changed as well finding out that some things don't do as well as others.

Offline Richard123

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 02:58:58 PM »
Hi Chuck & Helen,

Last year we had a new kitchen and decided to take the chosen stone floor through to the
dining room. The tank had to be moved around the room to allow the stone to set. I
decided at that point to change the decor, but still sticking with bogwood & live plants. The
large wood to the right was rotated and basically flipped on its back, the attached plant has
grown better since being a little deeper and I take it, further away from the lights too (I'm guessing). Other plants have not fared so well, the red one wilted and died after being
repositioned, others have taken quite a while to re-establish themselves but now show good
signs of regular new shoot growth.
I love the colour of the bogwood as it gradually changes colour caused by catfish grazing and
general ageing I suppose.
The LED's certainly enhance the colour of both wood and fish, the ripples caused by the water movement cast shadows on anything that is solid. Moving from left to right (where water enters the tank) the shadows gradually move slower as the ripple (water) speed drops, very effective.
The number of fish in the tank hasn't increased, I did make a decision not to replenish the
smaller fish shoals as they naturally shrunk. Replaced with Discus, however only two out
of the six purchased have survived. Cobalt & Pigeon both died, the remaining 2 Blue Diamond have both thrived. Golden Wonder Panchax have reduced from 6 to 2, I am waiting
for this to become zero before getting either Halfbeak or Gar. 6 x Torpedo Barbs are doing very well all at 5" plus now, the BN are now 4, 2 male, 2 female, I disturbed them breeding
when moving the tank, poor timing I know. So joining the Plec's which also included (L014)
Sunny Plec, we now have a Blue Spotted Phantom Plec, currently making himself at home
underneath the bogwood and disturbing the JBL Manadoo (yes correct Chuck). We still
see the Kuhli Loaches at feeding time, I introduced a Violet Dragon Goby, he has fitted in
really well, so many mixed reports on what conditions they should be kept in, so not sure
wether right or wrong to have him, seems very happy currently, consistently moves the
plecs from their under bogwood resting places and then moves the JBL around to suit  :)
Columbians, Lemon Tetra & an odd amount of suring Silver Tips/Copper Harlequins make up the tank numbers.
Changes happen in the natural world and so changes happen in my tank world too. It will stay as is throughout the winter and with only minimum pruning and planting we will se what happens.
To finish on, a question - Has anyone had a BN go to sleep on its back for an hour and
then just swim off and latch itself to bogwood for a bit of a graze? Whilst typing thats
what one of my female BN's has just done  ???

Laters  ;)

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 06:32:19 PM »
Ah, yes I remember now. You said at the time about moving the tank due to a new floor. Trying to come up with ways of doing it with the least disturbance to the tank. Glad to hear you got it done  :)

I know only too well how moving a tank seems to distress the plants more than it does the fish or even the keeper! Some plants can recover quite quick, others take a long time and some never recover at all. So taking that into consideration, I must say that your plants look incredibly well - I would never have guessed the tank had been moved (albeit last year), I thought you'd had a good prune in there! Good to hear they are now making a comeback.

LEDs? How on earth did I forget you had them??  :o Unless you got them after disappearing off the old site? Dare I ask..... are they GroBeams? ......... *sigh*  ;)

I thought you had Siamese Algae Eaters? Am I mixing you up with someone else that has Manado? I remember someone on the old forum telling me how their SAEs liked to poke their noses right into the manado, their body being almost vertical - I thought that was you?  ::)

Sorry - Cant answer your question on the BN.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 07:03:19 PM »
I think I may have killed my bn because I didn't realise until a while after getting it out of the tank that it may not have been dead when it was lying on it's back. It didn't even move when I poked it and picked it up!  :(  But I did read that they can do that.

Offline Richard123

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 09:31:50 PM »
Helen, thank you for sharing your BN's odd behaiour, I will allow mine an extra few hours on its back before reading him his last rights  :'(

Chuck, LED's, yes GroBeams, Had to change 3 strips at the start of the year as the end lights had failed, MA came to the rescue and without quibble got them changed. The unit I purchasd for increasing and decreasing the strenght of the light decided to give up the ghost only last week. So all this has happened within 18 months of having them Again MA has had no issue in getting the uniti changed. Should have it back in a couple of days. Other than that I am still for them. Good job they are covered by a 5 year warranty.

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 07:48:38 PM »
Wow - Im surprised at the problems you've had with the LEDs. Thats kinda scared me a little - I was (eventually!!!!!) gonna order mine off the internet - quite a few quids cheaper than going to a local shop. Maybe when the time comes, I'll ask MA for a quote on what Im wanting. At least if anything goes wrong, I can just go back to the shop and they've got the joys of sorting it! I somehow had in my mind that they are covered with a 10 year warranty........  ??? Must be getting mixed up in my old age! Out of interest, do you (nearly) have the multi controller? (the very expensive one that takes up to 8 strips).

Meanwhile, one of my T8 tubes went on my other tank last week. Im toying with the idea of getting the Arcadia LEDs for that tank. Simply because the TMCs wont fit it! Annoyingly, the GroBeams are about 50cm long and the tank is 100cm with a bracing bar across the middle. Doh!

Offline Richard123

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 11:08:39 PM »
Eening Chuck,

I have the cheaper version, runs just two strips. I set these to come on first, taking about
an hour to get upto full strength. My other set are run through a normal household
timer, coming on at full strength. I have just re-installed 4 low power 'red' LED strips, why?
I am getting fed up of not seeing my last purchase a 'Blue Spotted Phanom Plec' very well
named indeed, as fish don't see red light I thought I would try and catch him out late at night. Will let you know how I get on with my late night viduals.

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 07:25:23 PM »
Hi Richard,

Was just curious really. Its the expensive multi-controller thats on my shopping list (as I want 2 double strips and I dont think the cheaper controller can run that many) so I was wondering how they faired for their price.

Good luck with your night-time stakeouts!  ;D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "320lt - 2 years on"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post December 20, 2012, 11:17:47 PM
by Richard123
6 Replies
Last post January 13, 2017, 08:40:08 PM
by Moby

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: