Author Topic: New tank, New fish and Newbie  (Read 3613 times) 8 replies

Offline JMRewop

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
New tank, New fish and Newbie
« on: September 18, 2019, 09:03:36 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi All :wave:

Me and my son [2!] are new to the aquarium business... and we've already made some rookie errors from what i've already read on the forum :vcross:

1) Bought a Biorb Flow 30L (Too small.. amongst other issues?!) - We like it to be fair
2) Followed the Biorb advice; basically let the tank prep for 24-48hours before adding our betta below; didn't carry out any testing (anyone tell if it's male or female...? Either way my son has named it Lizzie!)

Asides from the above - Lizzie to me seems like a happy fish; swimming about freely and eating all of the food we offer (no bigger than her eye ball of course).

We're intending to introduce some ember tetras to the tank at the weekend - say 6 (OK according to the think fish community creator!). So I've carried out some testing with my newly arrived API Testing Kit:
pH: 7.8-8
Ammonia: 0.5ppm
Nitrate: 0.5ppm
Nitrate: 20-40ppm

Any thoughts on whether this is ok for the introduction of some tank buddies?

Thanks,

jM

Offline sharpandroid

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Re: New tank, New fish and Newbie
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 12:28:57 PM »
Hi JM
I'm no expert but i think ammonia and Nitrates could do to be as close as possible to zero as you can get them, the ph is difficult to change and any fish you buy should be able to live in a ph of similar value to what you have.
If you look at the fish profiles it tells you which fish are suitable.
Water hardness is also a factor to consider, this is also in the fish profile info.

Prepare for the "experts" and try to make it fun.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (4) - Slender Harlequin (9) - Cardinal Tetra (9) - Japonica Shrimp (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 01:17:21 PM »
Welcome :wave:

It generally takes 6-10 weeks to cycle a tank. Cycling a tank means preparing the filter (or, more specifically, the filter media) to be able to build up sufficient beneficial bacteria to be able to process fish waste adequately. This can be done by a fishless cycle (adding an ammonia source to mimic fish waste until such a time as the filter media becomes ready to process fish waste) or a fish-in cycle (the fish waste itself is the ammonia source - although this approach generally isn't recommended as it exposes the fish to harmful ammonia and nitrite during the cycling process and is therefore much less safe or ethical). You're doing the fish-in cycle, which also takes 6-10 weeks, so best to use this guide https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fishtank-filtration-and-cycling/fish-in-cycling-with-fish-how-to-do-it/

As for tank buddies, I wouldn't add any more other than what you already have. Even dimunitive species such as ember tetras require a tank 'footprint' minimum of 45cm x 30cm which, as far as I know (but please correct me if I'm wrong), the 30L bi-orb doesn't have - it has a 'widest' point rather than all aspects of the tank's height and thus fish's swimming room being 45cm x 30cm.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 01:55:54 PM »
Hi and welcome. At your pH, your ammonia and nitrite are harming your fish. As a beginner, by far the easiest way to proceed would be to return the fish and do a fishless cycle. Fish-in cycles always compromise the health of the fish, and deaths are common.

For future reference a fish’s stomach is like ours in that it expands to hold food. It is far bigger than a fish’s eyeball. But the ammonia and nitrite come from food, so every time you feed the fish you’re adding to the problem.

It’s male btw. Females don’t have the extravagant finnage.

One more piece of advice. Never follow the recommendations of a manufacturer or a shop. They’re trying to sell things so most of the advice is bad advice. Do your own research, or come here and ask.

:)

Offline JMRewop

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 08:49:01 PM »
Hey Guys,

thanks for advice and comments.

I think rather than bringing the fish back I will increase the amount of water changes to try and keep Ammonia/Nitrite levels down?

...And probably hang fire on the additional embers. The Biorb Flow 30ltr is 31cm x 42cm (footprint) with curved corners on one side - do you think the embers will miss the 3cm?!

Cheers,

Offline fcmf

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 10:49:41 PM »
Thanks - I've since seen a pic of the BiOrb Flow and it's different to what I had thought i.e. a more practical shape for fish. That said, it is smaller than the minimum size quoted for ember tetras - and this is quite significant in a small tank (in comparison with 3cm shorter than the minimum size in a 120cm tank, which even then I wouldn't advocate going under the minimum recommended size). 

Male bettas are generally advised to be kept on their own. Some, dependent on personality, do tolerate other tankmates - but you'd need a back-up plan by way of a spare tank to separate the tankmates from the betta if this didn't work out. There is a general rule-of-thumb in fishkeeping that fish will eat any other fish that can fit in their mouths.

The combination of these two factors, plus the fact that embers are very shy and likely to be more so in the presence of a large tankmate, plus have little room to escape to if they feel the need, leads me to advise a separate/larger tank for the embers if you're keen to keep them / more fish than the betta.  I'm not sure of any fish which would be a suitable alternative for keeping with a betta in a small tank such as this - but it is fine for the betta on his own.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 12:33:17 PM »
I agree with fcmf. Bettas are not community fish and are best kept on their own. Some will co-habit with shrimps, though many bettas will eat (or at the minimum, try to eat) them. Snails are another option - I've always kept a nerite snail with my bettas with no problems. Well, except for the one betta which flared at the snail whenever it was on the glass. He ignored it when it was on the bottom or decor. Presumably when it was on the glass it looked like an invader swimming in his territory.

Male bettas have been bred for aggression for hundreds of betta generations. Some are so aggressive that they'll attack anything that moves. And tank mates can also be a problem - even the most non-aggressive fish species can suddenly turn into fin nippers when faced with those long flowing fins.

Offline JMRewop

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 04:35:59 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for your responses.

We actually chose a betta that seemed to be linving in peace and harmony with a load of what I think were neon tetras (not in a massive tank - probably marginally bigger than my own) - not ignoring your comments tank but out of interest, do you think that would make any difference? Is this betta more likely to be chilled or will this recent week in solitary have turned him back into a cold blooded killer!

I have also read on the forum that some betta's are fine for ages/years even and then suddnely just turn and go on a murderous rampage :vcross:

Cheers,

Offline fcmf

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 05:33:16 PM »
In LFSs, fish are often placed in unsuitable tank set-ups (e.g. overcrowded, undersized, with unsuitable tankmates, in unsuitable hardness of water, etc) but this is only a short-term measure as the fish are likely to be bought imminently and hopefully put in suitable conditions by those who have done their research on the species' requirements - and, often, staff will adjust tank set-ups on a daily basis depending on what's happening.  For example, in the case of what you witnessed, it may be that the betta would have been ok with the neons as a short-term measure for a week or two (especially if he had entered their territory, as opposed to vice versa) or it may be that some of the neons had been consumed and therefore a tank re-arrangement was ultimately going to take place if he hadn't been sold when you bought him. 

There are some cases of fish and situations being different from the norm e.g. a docile species of fish being territorial, a fish living a much longer life than the anticipated life expectancy, some bettas that will tolerate tankmates (especially if they enter another fish's territory, rather than they enter his - and yours will now consider his) in the short- or even long-term, some fish that make it through a fish-in cycle seemingly unscathed, but, when it's clear what the risks are and what the advice is from 'bona fide' sources, a responsible fishkeeper really ought to do what is right by the fish as opposed to whatever they wish for themselves. I was really keen on guppies and platies when I first looked at tropical fish in the LFS, then did my research and realised that they required much harder water than I could give them, and it took me a good few weeks/months to come to terms with eliminating them as possibilities (and re-orient my thinking towards which soft-water species might appeal to me which itself took a while to do).

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New tank, New fish and Newbie"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post April 25, 2014, 09:30:30 PM
by Cazzybaby
4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2015, 12:45:25 PM
by Sue
Newbie!!!

Started by Silver633 « 1 2 ... 6 7 » New Fishkeepers

132 Replies
Last post March 22, 2016, 09:27:41 PM
by Fiona
16 Replies
Last post June 28, 2016, 08:18:30 AM
by Mascol
86 Replies
Last post September 19, 2017, 12:18:03 PM
by Littlefish
28 Replies
Last post November 24, 2019, 06:19:29 PM
by Bristlenose
4 Replies
Last post December 11, 2023, 10:26:35 AM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: