Water Testing

Author Topic: water testing  (Read 9473 times) 21 replies

Offline Lellynelly

• Fishy Member
water testing
« on: November 10, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
probably a silly question but I have a testing kit for my reef tank that tests for Ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. Can I presume that I can also use this to test my tropical freshwater? or do you think it is designed specifically to test for these things only in saltwater?

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
Re: water testing
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 09:51:44 PM »
Hi LellyNelly  :)

I use the API Master Test Kit. They do one for salt water and one for fresh water. I assume that means theres a difference.

Maybe someone with more knowledge may be able to help you with a more definite answer but in the meantime, maybe have a looksee on the internet as to whats available. Personally, I would get one that specifically says its for fresh water - that way you know you're getting true readings. I have read that the strip tests are harder to read and are not so accurate as the liquid tests, so maybe bear that in mind if you do buy a new kit.   (tip: ask for the shelf date if buying online - likewise if ever you purchase medications or food etc  ;) )

By the way, the only silly question is one that isnt asked  ;)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 09:42:41 PM »
I have a Hagen test kit and the kit does both fresh and saltwater. However, some of the individual tests are slightly different depending on whether you are testing fresh or salt water. But as each test has its own instructions it is easy to identify what needs to be done for freshwater.

I think it depends on who your test kit is made by as to whether it is transferable.

Offline Anna Robinson

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 04:29:40 PM »

I use the API Master Test Kit. They do one for salt water and one for fresh water. I assume that means theres a difference.

I do work for API (Mars) and am often asked this question. The test kits are the same, but for some variables (such as nitrate) the colour results will be slightly different depending on whether it is marine or fresh water that you're testing. Therefore the kits can be used, but you need to obtain the correct colour charts for the type of set up you have. If you ask API they will supply you with these. If you buy the individual tests they come with both marine and freshwater colour charts, but the Freshwater Kit only comes with freshwater charts, the Reef Kit with marine charts etc etc.

I would assume this is the same for most manufacturers.

Offline ColR1948

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 10:55:29 PM »
I wish these companies who sell test kits would stop selling the test strips, every forum I've been on people say don't use the strips because they are useless.

So when you go back in work Anna have a word lol.   :)

Offline Anna Robinson

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 11:09:37 AM »
Sorry, Col, no can do - I'm a huge fan of test strips and always have been. They're so wonderfully quick and easy, they give a wide and instant overview of the water (I've quickly spotted things about people's water when using them professionally that it would have taken a while to eliminate if going through liquid tests) and they get people testing their water that would simply never do it if they had to use a series of drop tests and shaking, which is a great help for the hobby. I've never had an incorrect result with them myself.

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 11:31:30 AM »
Hi Anna - good to "see" you  :)

I'm intrigued by your last post - you've never had an incorrect result from test strips. So why is there such a wide opinion that they give incorrect results and are hard to read? Ive never used them myself so I cant give a personal opinion but I think you're the first person Ive read to give them a good report.

Love the idea that they get people testing their water though, being quick and easy. I have to admit I get lazy with the liquid tests and dont test the water as often as I should  :-[  Maybe I should get some strips for those in-between lazy moments.......

Offline ColR1948

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 02:11:19 PM »
WOW!  Anna are you saying that because you work for the company lol?  I have to agree with the above poster, you are the first aquarist that I've ever read saying the strips are good.

It is a good point to get people to do water tests, I never thought of that though.

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 07:56:56 AM »
Hi all. Im with anna on this one. My present to my self for christmas was a jbl testlab. I have used lots of different test kits from all makers and just recently i picked up some jbl test strips. This was as anna said as a quick test without having to use reagents, i used them with  half thinking they were going to be out but they always seemed to be accurate.  So i was playing with my test lab and i used a test strip before and the results for hardnes, ph, nitrite nitrate, were spot on. They were definetly useable to quickly diagnose a water problem for more in depth testing.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Golden Pencilfish (25) - Panda Cory (20) - Panda Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Lampeye Panchax (15) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Discus (7) - Sparkling Gourami (8) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Bristlenose Plec (3) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColR1948

• Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 09:40:27 AM »
So now we have 2 that swear by the strips, this is unusual, may be API have improved their strips then.

This just seems funny compared with the majority of people who say don't use them as they are useless and inaccurate.
Whenever I have read where someone says they tested the water using strips, the next post is always, 'Get rid of the strips, use the proper test kit'
The only thing that springs to mind is API and other companies rub their hands because first a lot of new keepers will buy the strips then go out after being told not to use them and buy a kit.

So are you both saying it is best I just buy the strips in future and save money by not buying the kit?

TigzFish

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 11:59:31 AM »
I'm also quite interested in this aspect as I too purchased the API Test Kit after reading that the strips were not accurate. I am very happy with the liquid test kit but long term I'd like to save as much money as possible.

The only thing that springs to mind is API and other companies rub their hands because first a lot of new keepers will buy the strips then go out after being told not to use them and buy a kit.

Sounds like the basis of a good conspiracy theory ;D but I'm pretty sure that Mars Fishcare have produced the two types of testers to give us fishkeepers more choice depending on our available cash/time/experience. They are after all a commercial entity that will always try to make profit within their given genre. This is the way of business.

It should be noted that any kind of 'review' will tend to attract negative answers rather than good ones, as those people that have had difficulty are louder than those who are happy.  How many times have I seen posts saying that the bottles of filter start "are useless", "impossible" or just plain "do not work". I have used the one that came with my tank and it does work because I never used anything else in my fishless cycle (other than adding diluted ammonia). (I'm a new fiskeeper too)

I think I'm going to satisfy my own curiosity and as today is my day for water maintenance I am going to grab some strips and do a direct comparison. I'll also see if I can get some pictures done too, before the sun fades.

Interesting.

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 12:24:23 PM »
I dont no about the api test strips i have never used them. I used the jbl ones and they were good. Not sure if you want to replace liquids but you could. I used them when i was running low while waiting for my big test lab to arrive for a quick check and they were fine.

Golden Pencilfish (25) - Panda Cory (20) - Panda Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Lampeye Panchax (15) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Discus (7) - Sparkling Gourami (8) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Bristlenose Plec (3) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColR1948

• Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 12:32:05 PM »
He He, this is good, looks like the strips are coming up trumps so far.

As Tigzfish says about the starter stuff, I got interested in trying a cycle using Dr Timms One and Only, I had to purchase it online as he (Timothy Hovanec) is in Florida USA, Sue knows of this guy and it was reading her post that got me interested so I had a look, any way I got 2 bottles and tried one and so far so good.

Sorry taking this off topic.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 02:07:43 PM »
The main downside to strips is that a lot of them don't test for ammonia, and that's one of the things you need to test for most.

TigzFish

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 02:18:34 PM »
Just got back home after a sourcing trip.  I have tried 4 large aquatic/pet shops in my local area and nobody has any API Test Strips.  From the 3 dedicated aquatics shops the response was identical and very negative about API Test Strips in particular. Two said that have had them, with one of those saying "on order for months", the other saying "don't sell, stopped stocking them". Another point blank said "we don't stock test strips at all because they are not accurate".

Not very encouraging when the aquatics shops are singing from the same song-sheet. Generally I would have expected a difference of opinion between different shops, but in this case nope.

Out of the 4 shops I visited, I spotted JBL Test Strips and Tetra Test Strips (both test for: pH, KH, GH, NO2, NO3, Cl2). API Test Strips cover all of the above except Cl2 (Chlorine). Interestingly none of them test Ammonia (as Sue has pointed out).

So, that's a bust I'm afraid.  I'll keep my eye open as I pop into the LFS's on occasion, but based on the responses from them, I don't think I'll be getting goods anytime soon.  :(

Offline ColR1948

• Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 03:58:46 PM »
Must admit when I first got testing water I used the strips and as Sue pointed out no Ammonia strips so found some at Wilkinsons hardware store.

Then stopped using them because of the many negative reports, I didn't know if they were accurate or not, I just stopped.

Offline Anna Robinson

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 02:25:15 PM »
So why is there such a wide opinion that they give incorrect results and are hard to read?
I don't know, but this is something that I've personally only read online. I've never had anyone say this to me in real life. I would assume there will naturally be differences between people in how easy or hard a test is considered to be to read. Some people prefer certain types of liquid tests over others because they find them easier to read.

There are ammonia strip tests available, but they cannot currently be included on the same strip as the rest of the tests, or packaged with them, for technical reasons. Therefore companies sell separate ammonia strip tests.

The liquid tests are more precise, but the strips will meet requirements in many situations. But ideally it's good to have access to both. For example, if my quick strip test showed something unexpected, I'd like to use a liquid test to have a closer look.

Offline piggy

• Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 02:59:01 PM »
Ok now i am confused,  I have had a Liquid test kit for Ammonia, PH, Nitrite & Nitrate for a while but I have been using Tetra test strips for KH & GH. I now have a liquid test for both.
When i count the drops before the colour change is it the total drops or the amount of drops after the first one?  Also the strip results give readings from 0 - 16 for GH and 0 - 20 for KH but the liquid test results are upto 200 (after multiplying by 10 or 20 as specified) :-\ how do i compare one against the other.
Thanks

Panda Cory (4) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Zebra Danio (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (8) - Three Spot Gourami (3) - Honey Gourami (1) - Climbing Perch / Bush Fish (1) - Banded Gourami (1) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (3) - Panda Cory (5) - Swordtail (female) (4) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 04:14:32 PM »
Do you have the API gh and KH testers? Those are the ones I have so I know how that brand works.

With API the drops are the total number needed to get the colour to change. That gives the result as german degrees, ie add 6 drops, the GH (or KH) is 6 german degrees. Multiply by 17.9 to convert to ppm

What units do the Tetra strips use? It should say somewhere on the pack. You need to make sure you have the same units when comparing the strips to the liquid tester results.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 04:49:24 PM »
Hi Piggy,

It sounds like you have the Nutrafin KH/GH liquid test kit and for these you count the total number of drops (including the first one) and then for GH you multiply by 20 to give ppm, then divide by 17.9 to give German Degrees. For the KH you multiply the number of drops by 10 to give ppm, then divide by 17.9 for degrees.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "water testing"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
13 Replies
Last post February 26, 2014, 07:06:25 AM
by SteveS
1 Replies
Last post February 18, 2014, 07:44:56 AM
by Robert
5 Replies
Last post May 24, 2014, 01:58:05 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post October 01, 2014, 06:44:00 PM
by Jwc
6 Replies
Last post June 01, 2015, 03:38:25 PM
by Extreme_One
9 Replies
Last post July 27, 2016, 03:38:29 PM
by Evolution Stu
3 Replies
Last post August 07, 2016, 03:12:09 PM
by Carlton07

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: