Water Changes - Proportion Changed - Discussion [some Missing Posts In Thread]

Author Topic: Water changes - proportion changed - discussion [some missing posts in thread]  (Read 6692 times) 47 replies

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Water changes - proportion changed - discussion
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2020, 06:15:57 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I've lost count of the number of java ferns I've killed off, and they are totally considered starter plants. I've just never got on with them. Anubias and bucephalandra rule my world as far as plants for attaching to decor are concerned. Perhaps I'll give a java fern another go when I've settled my tanks in again.  :-[

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2020, 07:58:07 PM »
Java fern needs more light than most other easy plants. Try getting it high in the waters column. And dont despair if it takes ages to get used to your water conditions. If it grows black spots on the leaves, these will grow into baby plants more readily adjusted to the tank parameters. They should be harvested at a decent size as eventually the parent leaf will die off.once successfully growing its needs to be cleaned out near the rhizomes as it attracts waste yet needs goo water flow around it's roots etc.

I promised to write this up a while back but have never got round to it... this is the jist of things anyway.

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2020, 08:14:57 PM »
Sorry but may I divert slightly as whilst I’ve followed this topic with my learning cap on  C:-). I have something I can’t get my head round. If we are to do 50% weekly water changes (except for when cycling) if I add my chosen substrate which is Tropica Aquarium Soil Powder, it states on their website: “ We recommend that you change 25-50% of the water min. twice a week during the first 4 weeks after establishing the aquarium.” Do I still continue to cycle without changing the water ?? It is also worth noting I intend to use live plants in my set up. I understand their maybe no straight answer but any advice would be gratefully received.

Simon

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2020, 08:44:55 PM »
There are 2 things at play here hence the possible confusion...

Cycling a tanks filter is best when there is ammonia in the water column to feed the bacteria. Hence why often suggested to not do water changes (as there is no point removing any ammonia to just replace it). BUT as yiu are having a planted tank it is arguably more important to have established plants than an established filter as these will more quickly be able to deal with the fish waste. Tropica advise to do lots of water changes for the first month or so because this is when tanks are most susceptible to diatoms as the plants settle in etc and the water changes keep any nutrients in the water column to a minimum to help with reducing the likelihood or extent of an outbreak.

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2020, 09:21:49 PM »
Ok  ;) got ya (I think) so I am best off following the increased water changes during this initial set up as I can wait for that to settle then concentrate on establishing the filter. I did think that the two would work side by side but reading up on scapeeasy and advice from the forum the plants will be consuming ammonia thus needing me to monitor nitrite rising and falling (having read a previous post from Sue in another topic).

Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2020, 09:06:20 AM »
If there are enough fast growing plants, there will be no nitrite as plants do not turn ammonia into nitrite. But I always recommend checking it, just in case there aren't enough plants or they are not growing well enough.

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2020, 05:15:48 PM »
Would I then still need an source of ammonia to cycle the filter? I assume if I have to change the water (@ 50%) because of the release of ammonia etc from the soil that will reduce it so I will need to keep adding more like during a traditional cycle? I will be testing the water before adding fish regardless. :fishy1:

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2020, 05:51:51 PM »
[Some posts missing in this thread as, regrettably for us given that she was a valued member, former member Fishtales left the forum and deleted most of her posts.]

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Water changes - proportion changed - discussion [some missing posts in thread]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post June 14, 2016, 10:55:13 AM
by Paddyc
83 Replies
Last post March 14, 2018, 11:47:07 AM
by Sue
15 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 06:08:26 PM
by fcmf
29 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 05:56:48 PM
by fcmf
10 Replies
Last post January 20, 2020, 07:45:26 PM
by jaypeecee
39 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 06:10:19 PM
by fcmf
4 Replies
Last post January 25, 2020, 10:05:53 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: