Water Changes - Proportion Changed - Discussion [some Missing Posts In Thread]

Author Topic: Water changes - proportion changed - discussion [some missing posts in thread]  (Read 6682 times) 47 replies

Offline jaypeecee

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Still learning...
Re: Water changes - proportion changed - discussion
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2020, 03:47:15 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Thanks for the explanation @jaypeecee  :) Seems like another good reason I really need to take the plunge and invest in real plants.

Hi @fishtales

Don't forget the humble moss ball - almost zero maintenance. Please see:

https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/general-fishkeeping-chat/the-humble-moss-ball/msg46076/#msg46076

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2020, 04:09:02 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0

I am quite upset at the moment as for some reason there are changes in my water straight from the tap. Current readings today show my dGH is reading 18! and Nitrates are reading 40. The dGH is a reading from my NT labs kit and the Nitrates result are from testing with both NT labs and API.

I know there are a few roadworks in progress atm and Northumbrian Water state they are currently updating their network in my area to improve services. They also are not giving a dGH number, simply stating 'water very hard' for my area. So I have no idea if my water parameters are permanently changed at this point.

Hi @fishtales

You have every reason to be upset at the moment. Having read this thread, it seems that your dGH should be 8 but it's suddenly increased to 18. Is that correct? Have your fish been subject to this change and, if so, are they OK?

If necessary, you could switch to re-mineralized RO water if you can get this from your LFS/MA.

Please keep us updated.

JPC

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2020, 04:09:15 PM »
Thanks for the explanation @jaypeecee  :) Seems like another good reason I really need to take the plunge and invest in real plants.

Hi @fishtales

Don't forget the humble moss ball - almost zero maintenance. Please see:

https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/general-fishkeeping-chat/the-humble-moss-ball/msg46076/#msg46076

JPC

Tough take care as they can attract algae.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2020, 04:09:54 PM »
Fish contribute nitrogen and fish food contributes potassium.

Hi @Matt

I know that many dried fish foods are high in phosphorus. But, I've never seen published or measured figures for potassium. As I currently have an interest in the latter (for other reasons), I'll devise an experiment to measure the potassium content of a flake food.

JPC

Actually wondering if I have my facts wrong here... I have a fussy baby on my hands though... give me till tonight to confirm.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2020, 06:23:19 PM »
Thank you for the suggestion and link for Moss balls. I shall order some straight away to put in my tank while I organise plants and changing substrate. There seems to be quite a few sellers with it on Ebay. Would you think they are okay to buy from there?

Hi @fishtales

I would be nervous about buying moss balls from Ebay. I would be more inclined to trust a supplier like:

https://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/moss-ball-chladophlora-438-p.asp

Make sure that you give them a good rinse before adding them to your tank.

JPC

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2020, 09:38:25 PM »
Not sure why baby brain set in earlier but I was doing ok up till the last minute.... right to break down briefly without giving away the content of my revised site before I actually publish it...

There are Macro nutrients (nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium) and micro nutrients (loads!) In liquid fertilisers you tend to get the choices of  a complete product (micros and macros) or a micros only product (theres other product types but these are the main stay amd as usual im looking to keep thinga simple/easy here). How much complete fertiliser you dose should be dictated by nitrate levels as we want to keep these at high enough levels to promote plant growth but low enough levels so as not to unduly harm the fish. But you can top up the micro fertilisers almost without consequence. Ie. Unlikely to lead to any algae problems if overdosed a little bit (though dont go mad obviously and remember 50% weekly water chamges) and will not harm fish shrimp or snails.

Of the macro nutrients nitrogen and phosphorus are contributed by fish / food wastes. Potassium is the one that there is no significant source of (though it is needed in far less quantities that the other two). Hence why I recommend a micro fertiliser such as JBL Ferropol which also contains potassium because if you assume nitrates and phosphates are available in a heavily stocked aquarium, then this covers all th3 other plant nutrient requirements. Tap water also contains phosphates so even if not heavily stocked just poor quality tap water nigh in nitrates and phosphates the rule tend to fit reasonably well... that's my theory anyway. Not perfect but I've had success with it and it keeps things as simple as I think it should/can be. Dose complete ferts until you are at recommended dosage level or nitrates get too high (I've found they often do even in say 50%stocked tanks) and dose what you didn't in complete in micros only. So for example i dose a third of a weekly complete fertiliser dosage and two thirds of a micros only (with potassium) fertiliser weekly dosage. This needs a diagram yet to come to aid explanation...

Hope that wasn't too long winded and clarifies things!

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2020, 12:23:37 PM »
...and remember 50% weekly water chamges...

Hi @Matt

The purpose of this thread was to discuss the proportion of water changed. Did we agree on the above? Have I missed something?

JPC

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2020, 02:04:09 PM »
Fish contribute nitrogen and fish food contributes potassium.

Hi @Matt

I know that many dried fish foods are high in phosphorus. But, I've never seen published or measured figures for potassium. As I currently have an interest in the latter (for other reasons), I'll devise an experiment to measure the potassium content of a flake food.

JPC

Actually wondering if I have my facts wrong here... I have a fussy baby on my hands though... give me till tonight to confirm.

@jaypeecee I was responding to this. The 50% water changes is my recommendation only and is part of what I personally recommend as part of the scape easy approach.  Welcome others views, this is what works in my experience as per my original post above.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2020, 08:28:32 PM »
I can't find many details on it but I suspect it is not concentrated nor is it a good good food on its own. Seems like a bit of a gimmick to be honest. First time I've heard of some compounds breaking down over less than 24 hours and needing to be replenished. At one drop per 50litres there seems no way to me that it can contain all the requirements for plants.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2020, 01:22:55 PM »
Hi Folks,

The name - JBL Ferropol 24 - tells us a lot. For 'Ferro', read 'iron' and the '24' implies daily use. And the colourful picture of a flower on the box shows several 'petals', each with the name of a chemical element. So, we have:

Mn = Manganese
Fe = Iron
Co = Cobalt
B = Boron
Zn = Zinc
Mg = Magnesium
Sn = Tin
+ some extra letters that have obviously been plucked out of the air for good measure!

I was once planning to use this product some while ago. I think the idea is to add a dose every day to ensure an ongoing supply of iron + trace elements, all of which can get used up very quickly. It would not be intended to use on its own as it obviously does not supply any of the macronutrients, i.e. nitrogen, phophorus and potassium. There are some very well-known aquatic plant experts (e.g. Dennis Wong) who would now add sulphur to that list. For more information, see:

https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/#

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2020, 05:15:13 PM »
First time I've heard of some compounds breaking down over less than 24 hours and needing to be replenished.

Hi @Matt

When Ferropol 24 is added to the tank water, it will produce the ionic form of elements making these instantly available to the plants. But, the dosage is such that, in the 'average' tank, these elements will be used up by the plants and will need replacing daily.

Iron exists in two forms - ferrous and ferric. The first of these is the form preferred by plants. But, as I understand it, it can react with phosphates in the water thus causing it to precipitate out. In simple terms, it will either fall to the bottom of the tank or get sucked into the filter. So, it is possibly better to replenish it on a daily basis.

As you know, some people prefer to dose daily, others prefer to overdose the tank with ferts, then do 50% water changes weekly as per Tom Barr's Estimative Index (EI) approach.

JPC

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2020, 06:28:57 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 3
We will never be fed up hearing about water as we are all obsessed with it.  ;D

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2020, 09:17:15 PM »
I got Easy-Life Profito and Easy-Life Carbo as it seems more cost efficient. I got Elodea Densa and Riccia fluitans to float. I understand you can also plant the Elodea Densa in the sand. If I were to do this would I need some additional fertilizers?

Hi @fishtales

Elodea Densa will grow in fresh air! OK, that is not correct. But I think you'll get my drift. I used to have it in my pond where it grew like nobody's business. It's used for oxygenating ponds. On a sunny day, you can clearly see copious numbers of oxygen bubbles being released from the many leaves. It can grow prolifically but this is ultimately determined by how much lighting you have over your tank. You may not need any additional fertilizers. But it will depend on how much nitrate and phosphate are provided by your fish.

Please keep us posted.

JPC

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2020, 09:35:29 PM »
I bought loads of elodea for my recent fish relocation.
I've used it as a sort of sacrificial plant, throwing loads into the tanks when they were set up at the new place here, just so the fish have cover and there are enough live plants available until I can completely re-plant the tanks with the correct plants. Between elodea and moss balls, I'm fairly convinced that this had helped the tanks & inhabitants settle after such a massive move.  :cheers:

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2020, 10:37:50 PM »
...but got 5 large pots of the Elodea as it apparently eats lots of Nitrates. It states it can lower your dGH as well.

Hi @fishtales

Any plant can potentially lower dGH but, because Elodea Densa can grow very quickly, it may have a noticeable effect on dGH. The reason for this is that GH is primarily a measure of the calcium and magnesium content of water. Therefore, if either of these elements are consumed sufficiently, GH could reduce. Whether this happens or not will depend on the ratio of plant mass to volume of water. So, moral of the story - keep an eye on your GH.

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2020, 10:50:32 PM »
Thanks @jaypeecee Regarding liquid ferts and Nitrates and phosphates. Since I seem to have shifting water parameters from my provider at the moment. My thoughts turned to this product Ei starter kit I assume you can customise it to your needs. Would love to get your opinion on it  :)

Hi @fishtales

I think I mentioned the EI Method recently on another thread. This is a specialized approach to plant fertilization, which requires a lot of work and advanced knowledge of aquarium plants. If you search for 'Estimative Index Tom Barr', you'll find loads of information about it.

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2020, 02:56:13 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I notice that all fertilizers that don't contain Nitrate don't contain phosphate either. I don't understand this stuff much so wondered, if my Nitrates are high because of tap water not fish waste, will I still have sufficient phosphate for my plants?

Hi @fishtales

I think the main reason that some fertilizers exclude both nitrate and phosphate is because, historically, they have both been considered to promote algae - particularly phosphate. Plants only need a tiny amount of phosphate compared to nitrate. Here are some figures:

Nitrate: 5 - 30 ppm

Phosphate: 0.1 - 1.5 ppm

So, you may well have sufficient phosphate in your water. Unfortunately, for we fishkeepers, water companies don't appear to quote phosphate figures. But, it is unlikely that your phosphate level will not be sufficient for your plants. If necessary, you can always measure phosphate in your water. I use the JBL phosphate (PO4) Sensitive Test Kit. This is the newly-packaged version of what I use:

https://www.jbl.de/en/products/detail/8676/jbl-proaquatest-po4-phosphate-sensitive

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2020, 05:55:12 PM »
Those figures really put the quantity into perspective. I will see how my plants progress. If they are struggling I will get the test you kindly linked too, and check what my tanks phosphate parameters look like  :)

Hi @fishtales

That sounds good to me!

JPC

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2020, 04:05:33 AM »
Nothing much to add here other than it can be useful to take pictures of your tank each week so you can monitor plant growth. Often it shows more rapid progress than we notice through daily observation. You might also want to familiarise yourself with these diagrams... https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fish-tank-plant-advice/useful-plant-diagnosis-charts/msg23023/#msg23023

Good luck with your elodea. It is a great starting plant!

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2020, 04:01:11 PM »
Good luck with your plants - I'm sure you'll do fine.
In the event that you have difficulty, though, don't despair as you're in good company - I just read yesterday about some folk (very experienced and well-known fishkeepers) having difficulty with plants that are ordinarily considered indestructable but which I can never keep alive myself and therefore which makes me feel marginally better.  :D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Water changes - proportion changed - discussion [some missing posts in thread]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post June 14, 2016, 10:55:13 AM
by Paddyc
83 Replies
Last post March 14, 2018, 11:47:07 AM
by Sue
15 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 06:08:26 PM
by fcmf
29 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 05:56:48 PM
by fcmf
10 Replies
Last post January 20, 2020, 07:45:26 PM
by jaypeecee
39 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 06:10:19 PM
by fcmf
4 Replies
Last post January 25, 2020, 10:05:53 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: