Two Filters In The Tank?

Author Topic: Two filters in the tank?  (Read 4208 times) 6 replies

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Two filters in the tank?
« on: April 10, 2015, 11:17:47 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I've got a vague recollection of somebody (Sue?) answering a member's query regarding having a second filter in the tank. I might be wrong, could have been another site.

Anyway,  This Fluvel 4 Plus looks to be VERY old. It's currently working but I have no confidence in it so have put my tank home made quarantine  filter in as well.
This little filter did seed my quarantine tank in a very short space of time so I know it was active.
I'm killing two birds as I am also using it as an airstone, which is what it is based on (Well seeded Filter sponges/fine floss in a plastic jar. All serviced by an airstone and tubing).

Belt and braces to give me confidence that something will help if the filter fails whilst I'm away.
I do intend to replace it but first I want to replace the light which is pretty grim and buzzes like mad, so I have taken the smaller one from the Nano22 and I'm using that.

Is it likely to help or not?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Two filters in the tank?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 04:04:52 PM »
Anything that keeps water flowing through the filter media will help. The important thing is making sure the bacteria have both food an oxygen. It doesn't matter what the means of providing the flow is as long as it works.

When you start looking for a new filter, you don't actually need one the size of the 4 plus. According to the Fluval Plus range manual, the 4 is for tanks up to 215 litres. The 2 plus, rated for up to 90 litres, would have been plenty for your tank! And the good news is that with sponge as the filter medium, you can transfer that to any filter with the help of a pair of scissors.

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 04:41:38 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation Sue.

I definitely will have to wait till this one packs up.
Not been a good day.
We are trying to revamp part of the garden and first the other half half fell over which was bad enough but half hour later I went a real purler. 
On the upside while I was down there getting my breath back and making sure that my previously fractured and plated wrist was still intact despite the pain, I glanced up at the roof and there was a tile completely missing and sitting in the gutter!!
Got a lovely young man from checkatrade.com to come round straight away. Cost £85 though.
It was a relatively simple job in itself but we have a conservatory and we weren't confident that we could squeeze through the gap with the ladder.

Then I sort of persuaded him that I needed new wood for my raised bed as it disintegrated as we were taking it down so just got back from B & Q and he's another £40 out of pocket.
I knew the Fluval was well over rated for the tank but it came with it secondhand so I had no choice.

How I wish I had gone with his original offer of a new one, but too late now the damage is done!!
Or at least got one from Ebay which meant that the seller would have been a bit more honest for fear of bad feedback.
We live and learn

UPDATE

The day can only get worse. I've just dashed through the kitchen to get on with my gardening to make up for lost time.  The knob on the cabinet got caught in my pocket and somehow I've RIPPED the door off it's hinges so that it is now standing on the floor next to the cupboard. O gawd

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 08:09:26 PM »
Sanjo,

Your memory is correct - Sue helpfully answered my query about two filters in the tank at http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=1718.0 .  As it transpired, my diva-ish tetras, along with their terror of having a light on in the tank and during water changes, decided that they couldn't bear the faster flow of the second filter, so I abandoned that idea (although may try it again in due course).

As for the Fluval 4, I wouldn't "write it off" purely if it's because it looks old - I had a Fluval 3 for 12yrs before its impellor eventually broke down but otherwise it was fine and very robust. (I appreciate it may not be just because of its looks that you're concerned about it, though.)

If this is any consolation, I've had a bad day too with one thing happening after another, albeit not on a par with yours (which sounds very much like the sort of days I have rather often as well). Hope you haven't incurred any more injuries.

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 08:30:08 PM »
I'm seriously considering not getting up tomorrow  :-\

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 08:49:02 PM »
Sanjo, it sounds like you've had the most slapstick day ever! Hope you're okay and the door is back on its hinges...

Keep an eye on Practical Fish Keeping magazine subscription offers. I got a JBL external filter (worth about 80 quid) free with my 12 month magazine subscription for a cost of 50 pounds. So basically I got a filter for 30 pounds less than RRP and a years worth of PFK! Now I have a wicked filter, but I'm still waiting to convince the missus to let me get the larger tank it deserves!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 10:29:17 AM »
Slapstick indeed.
The door isn't back on because in ripping it off I  completely destroyed the inside of the side of the cabinet the hinges fix to.

I was talking to my neighbours last night, over the garden fence as you do, and I mentioned the trials of the day culminating with the cupboard door.  I wasn't hinting but my neighbour gave me advice on how to fix the door back on using the cabinet that butts to it (he is a carpenter /joiner) and failing that he reckons he will do it for me. Result.

It is currently absolutely chucking it down so I am mightily relieved that the roof tile was speedily replaced.
The wood we bought for making new raised beds is now outside in the pouring rain which hasn't pleased the other half.  He has given it one coat of preservative so maybe that will help

No amount of reassurance on the part of my husband or the roofer I spoke to could convince me that we would not have had the rain inside because we have roof felt up.
It's water  -  it would have got in.

Thanks for the hint on the filter. Appreciated

(Good luck with persuation on the new tank front)  ;D

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Two filters in the tank?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post February 26, 2013, 04:29:20 PM
by maz1
2 Replies
Last post October 04, 2015, 05:38:34 PM
by Marineboy
13 Replies
Last post June 09, 2017, 07:42:32 PM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post February 01, 2018, 11:02:44 PM
by kdt1
3 Replies
Last post June 08, 2019, 09:17:22 AM
by Littlefish
13 Replies
Last post January 15, 2020, 11:58:54 AM
by jaypeecee
4 Replies
Last post May 29, 2020, 11:37:59 AM
by barneyadi

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: