The Tribulations Of Cycling A New Tank - Need Advice

Author Topic: The tribulations of cycling a new tank - need advice  (Read 13906 times) 79 replies

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
The tribulations of cycling a new tank - need advice
« on: May 18, 2019, 11:30:03 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Ok, I have a 60 litre tank that I'm trying to cycle. It was on the way, with nitrates being produced, when it crashed and we are, apparently, back at square one. The specifics are:

60 litres, with led lighting (Juwel Primo tank)
Eco Complete substrate 1/2 and Unipac sand 1/2
one large piece of bogwood
Planted with two java ferns (on wood), and approximately 10 other plants, including an area of a grassy-looking plant in the substrate that I can't remember the name of. And two mossballs.
Juwel Bioflow One filter (for 80 litre tank)
Prime to condition the water.
The tank lights are on from 9 to noon, and then from 5pm to 9pm.
The temp is about 25c (maybe a bit over).

I also have a little 5 gallon tank, rounded gravel, with a Tetra Whisper and an Eheim filter running. It's stocked and has been up for two years.

Tap water has no nitrates or nitrites, and is very soft. Its parameters (from the Scottish Water) are German 0.94. the CaCo3 is 16.85.  When I initially tested it I was getting between 6.0 and 6.5 on the PH using the API dipsticks. After being in the tank it has dropped to 6.0 (possibly lower, but that was the bottom of the scale).

I had to put a double-dose of API "Up" (sodium carbonate) in to make any noticeable difference in the Ph level.

I am now using the API master test kit and it's a very pale 6.0 Ph (without any "Up" added).

I have put a little packet of what is supposed to be dolomite gravel in each tank, where the water will run over it coming out of the filters.

To aid the cycling, I pulled a small over-the-back filter that I'd had on a five gallon aquarium that has been up and running for two years and put it on this one. I later sacrificed the filter media to this tank.  (I had another filter running on the five gallon and had for two months, so it should have kept everyone alive until the other filter was back. The five gallon was overstocked due to unexpected offspring.)

I had been cycling the 60 litre fish-less since early May, had a nitrite spike that was coming down, and had 20 ppm of nitrates. Earlier this week, the nitrites disappeared, so I was happy until I saw the nitrates were also gone, and the ammonia was up again.

I did a 75% water change and planned to start over in another fish-less cycle try, except that the five gallon tank "crashed" badly at that point and I lost several baby albino corys.  I moved six surviving very young albino corys over to the 60 litre tank, and have been monitoring it carefully. They've been getting a 25% to 33% water change every day to bring the ammonia down.

This morning it was, after 24 hours since the last change, between .5 and 1.0.  I've just done another 33% water change and will be testing shortly to make sure it's ok.  The five gallon tank is pretty much getting flushed every other day and having partial water changes every morning and evening. It contains three adult albino corys and four neons that I am trying to keep alive until the corys can be moved to the large tank. (After which the neons should have a better time of it in there.)

The plants are doing well in the large tank, except the mossballs. They seem to be getting just a bit brown and don't look good, and I'm not quite sure why. I am going to pull them out of the tank and put them elsewhere for a while to see if they perk back up. The mossball in the small tank looked very bad indeed and has been removed. The other live plant in there is doing well. All the other plants have pretty much doubled in size in three weeks, except the java ferns (that seem healthy) and the mossballs.

In a panic yesterday I added Dr. Tim's bacteria to each filter to try to help jump-start the cycle again. (Triple the dose, actually.) And will continue to add to it in the small tank as I am having to do such massive water changes so often.

I am using Prime, and I know that can give a positive reading for ammonia that is temporarily "safe" (24 to 48 hours?). Due to the size of the small tank, I've not got really many other options that I know about other than the constant water changes to keep the fish safe.

Do you have any advice for anything else I can be doing to help these tanks get cycling again? They have to have the fish in them, unfortunately. I'm afraid to move anyone else from the small tank to the large one, but as soon as I can I would like to move the adult corys over one a week. I'm kind of amazed that the six babies (they are about 1 to 2cm long) could raise the ammonia in a 60 litre tank overnight. Could the bogwood have anything to do with that? I have put a sinking wafer in for them, given them a half hour with it, and then removed the remains. Now I'm putting in 1/2 of a sinking wafer daily, and it's disappearing in the half hour. They are very avidly rooting around and up on the bogwood and plants, etc.

Should I use more "Up" to try to raise the Ph slightly in the water that is going into the tanks in a water change?

I am due to get some cockleshells to add to the tank today, assuming my vendor has them in (as he'd hoped).

Other than keeping changing the water, which I'm ok with as I'm retired and home all day, and testing for ammonia/nitrites is there anything else I can be doing at this point?

EDIT: Have just found this handy chart http://www.ecofilms.com.au/aquaponics-health-understanding-ammonia-water-temperature-and-ph-balance/comment-page-1/#comment-676638  and am breathing a bit easier tonight.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: The tribulations of cycling a new tank - need advice
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 07:01:10 PM »
The best thing is water changes - but for just ammonia you don't need to do them as often as you'd think. Besides using Prime you also have water below pH 7.
As you probably know, ammonia in water exists in 2 forms - toxic ammonia and much less toxic ammonium. The amount of each for depends on the temperature and pH of the water. Temp does not have much effect as we keep out tanks within a very small range for tropical fish. However pH does vary quite widely from tank to tank and the lower the pH, the more of the 'safe' form there is. Our test kits measure 'total ammonia', that is ammonia and ammonia combined; and there are calculators which work out how much of our ammonia reading is in the toxic form. This is the one I use https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/FreeAmmonia.php
Set salinity to zero then enter the other levels from your test kit and thermometer. On the results side of the page, you want the number for NH3 concentration. If it is less than 0.05, it is OK for a couple of days. If it below 0.02 it is safe. You can delay water changes provided nitrite is zero until ammonia reaches 0.02.

But there is no safe form of nitrite, it is all toxic. You need to do a water change for any reading of nitrite other than zero, no matter what the calculator shows for ammonia.

If the levels in one tank are higher than the other, it would be worth moving all the fish into the lower level tank. I suspect the larger tank will take longer for the levels to rise simply because there is more water to dilute ammonia and any nitrite made from it.

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 09:41:19 PM »
Well then, according to the calculator I have several days. (pwew!) It is definitely safe, at 0.0006 before the last water change, according to this calculator. On the good side, if that log was leaching tanins, I've removed quite a lot of it. And the small tank needed a good flush anyway.

I'll watch the nitrite as well - there was none yesterday evening, and no nitrates. I had planned on moving the three adult corys over there to the big tank anyway. I'll keep an eye on them in the 5 gallon, to give the plants just a little longer to root in before the little bulldozers get turned loose on them.

I am curious if the Dr. Tims will work or not. I've read that the ammonia concentration (read this online anyway, it's not on the bottle) needs to be around 2.0 before it really starts working. I saturated all three filters with it, and dumped quite a bit in each tank as well. I guess we'll see?

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 08:07:04 AM »
Is there any reason why you didn’t just put the old filter and tank inhabitants in the new tank? Asking because am hoping to upgrade too in the near-ish future.

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 08:43:18 AM »
I was advised to try to get the tank established and cycled up before doing that, and the little tank was stable. The big tank was on the way, actually - ammonia had dropped and nitrite was coming down (although still too high on its own), and I had some nitrate, when it all crashed. Also, not all of the inhabitants of the old tank are going to the new tank, just the corys.  Basically, I was trying to give both the plants and the microbes a head start. I have two small filters on the small tank, and actually did transfer one of them over to the big tank, for a while, and sacrificed its filter material to the big tank. Unfortunately, the other small filter wasn't established enough (it'd been in there for over a month, which was not long enough, I guess) and the little tank crashed.

Best laid plans of mice and men, and all that...  ;)

There is still no nitrite showing in the big tank this morning, but just a trace in the small one - which I assume the Prime will take care of for a day. So I guess the big corys are moving sooner than I planned.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 10:04:05 AM »
Do you have any advice for anything else I can be doing to help these tanks get cycling again? They have to have the fish in them, unfortunately.

Hi Nan,

Trying to put things right at this stage is not easy, which is not what you want to hear. But one vital ingredient may be missing to keep the bacteria happy. And that is phosphate/phosphorus. Nitrifying bacteria need a source of phosphorus to grow and multiply. If the cycle crashes - particularly when nitrite is being converted to nitrate - this may be a sign of phosphorus deficiency. This nutrient is often present in tap water but it's difficult to know if this is always the case. It appears that Water Authorities throughout Europe are not required to publish phosphate figures. I don't know if this also applies in your native USA. There are phosphate test kits for aquarium use and I have one but they tend to be a little bit more expensive than other kits.

So, what to do? If you have any aquarium plant fertilizers that contain phosphorus, you could try adding a dose of that. Take a look at a fertilizer bottle. Phosphorus is the 'P' of the NPK figure. But be aware that you would also be adding nitrogen - possibly as nitrate - in some form. An alternative would be to grind up a few pieces of fish food flake and add that to the tank. Or use a phosphorus fertilizer such as Seachem Flourish Phosphorus.

JPC

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 10:30:37 AM »
Hi JPC. 

I didn't expect it was going to be easy, but, hey, was happy it was actually coming along as quickly as it was.
The last place I lived in the States had some seriously mineralized water, so I've never actually run into this before. I never checked the water other than for chlorine/chloramine/heavy metals/pollutants. (Prior to cycling.)

The baby corys are in the big tank and seem to be getting progressively larger every time I look at them.  :) Would fish flake be needed, with them in the tank? I'm not feeding them heavily, and they are spending a lot of their time exploring the plants, rock, and log (which I assume means they are eating whatever they find  there).  There is also bogwood in the tank - probably driftwood, as bogwood is terribly expensive. I may take another sample of water down to the aquarium shop and let them test it - I'll mention the phosphorus and see if he can check that for me.

The plant fertilizer I have is Tropica Plant Growth Premium and the label is so tiny I cannot read it. In looking at their adverts online, I note they say it contains no nitrogen or phosphorous. The plants (other than the moss balls) are doing extremely well - most are twice the size they were when I planted them a month ago. I looked at the Scottish Water figures I could find online and they don't provide nearly as in-depth a report as I would have hoped. I'm going to email them and see if I can get a reply.

It looks like the little tank is starting to cycle a bit - I hope, anyway. The ammonia is within limits and there is now a trace of nitrite. (There was none yesterday evening.)  The big tank shows a trace of ammonia and no nitrite. (I didn't check for nitrate, as without nitrite....)

Interestingly, in support of your hypothesis, I had taken most of the plants back out of the small tank (it had never been planted, other than having a moss ball, and I had added quite a few plants last week) and we're getting some semblance of the cycle starting. I left one plant in there that is doing incredibly well. So I'm wondering if there is just enough phosphate in the water for the plants to use, but not enough for the bacteria then? I also wonder if that is what could have caused the previously very happy moss ball to start going south in the little tank - the addition of a lot of other plants. It will be interesting to see what the water tests at when I can get it to the shop.

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 12:22:13 PM »
You do need to be careful when adding phosphate as you should not overdose it; I would not add it without a tester. People who have a lot of phosphate in their tap water use special media to remove it. The 'plant people' will be able to tell you the phosphate range to aim for.

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 12:27:50 PM »
Thanks, Sue. I'm not going to add anything until someone else tests my water for me. And then, if I do, it'll be a very diluted plant food, I think. I've done hydroponic gardening in the past and I always found it was better to put in half of what any bottle recommended, or less, to see how things react.

I did get a twitter response from Scottish water that they are forwarding my request for info onto their lab guys and that I should hear something soon.

EDIT:  Scottish Water says they aren't required to track it, so they have no information to provide to me about any water parameters other than those required by law.  :(

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 05:19:24 PM »
I've just skimmed this thread and thought I'd add the following point:

* I would get your water checked for phosphates at a local fish shop, if you can - my water had a reading of 2 first time I tested it but 5 on subsequent tests which is quite high. I put this down to possibly the following: https://www.scottishwater.co.uk/en/Help-and-Resources/Document-Hub/Factsheets-and-Leaflets/Factsheets - Factsheet 3, Item 7 states "Phosphate may be added at our water treatment works to help prevent lead being absorbed from lead service pipes at customers’ properties." As Sue recommends, I think it would be worth identifying your phosphates level to avoid it becoming too high.

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 06:53:00 PM »
Yeah, we're going to hoof it the three miles to the nearest one tomorrow, and then have lunch nearby. So hopefully we'll know more by tomorrow evening.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 07:02:55 PM »
You do need to be careful when adding phosphate as you should not overdose it; I would not add it without a tester. People who have a lot of phosphate in their tap water use special media to remove it. The 'plant people' will be able to tell you the phosphate range to aim for.

Hi Sue,

Yes, phosphate needs monitoring and controlling - just like most water parameters. In the natural freshwater environment, average phosphate level is 0.01 mg/l. I maintain phosphate at less than 0.1 mg/l in the water column. This, I find, helps to keep algae under control. If root tabs are used that contain phosphate, then phosphate in the water column can be reduced even further. My last phosphate reading was less than 0.02 mg/l.

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 07:49:28 PM »
The baby corys are in the big tank and seem to be getting progressively larger every time I look at them.  :) Would fish flake be needed, with them in the tank? I'm not feeding them heavily, and they are spending a lot of their time exploring the plants, rock, and log (which I assume means they are eating whatever they find  there).  There is also bogwood in the tank - probably driftwood, as bogwood is terribly expensive. I may take another sample of water down to the aquarium shop and let them test it - I'll mention the phosphorus and see if he can check that for me.

Interestingly, in support of your hypothesis, I had taken most of the plants back out of the small tank (it had never been planted, other than having a moss ball, and I had added quite a few plants last week) and we're getting some semblance of the cycle starting. I left one plant in there that is doing incredibly well. So I'm wondering if there is just enough phosphate in the water for the plants to use, but not enough for the bacteria then? I also wonder if that is what could have caused the previously very happy moss ball to start going south in the little tank - the addition of a lot of other plants. It will be interesting to see what the water tests at when I can get it to the shop.

Hi Nan,

If your LFS can do a phosphate test for you, the minimum phosphate level that I aim for is 0.2 mg/l throughout the cycle. It is quite probable that the LFS staff are not aware of the importance of phosphorus in the development of nitrifying bacteria. To be honest, a year ago I wasn't aware of this. But the evidence is there for anyone that has the inclination to read about it.

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 08:01:00 PM »
I think it would be worth identifying your phosphates level to avoid it becoming too high.

Hi fcmf,

Just a point of clarification. If the phosphate level is too high, that can cause its own problems, e.g. algae growth. But for successful development of nitrifying bacteria, the concern is too little phosphate.

JPC

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 08:13:54 PM »
Understood. I am also using plant tabs, but they are buried in the substrate in the back, near the plants. (Tropica Nutrition Capsules for Aquariums. It says it contains both nitrogen, phosphorus, iron and micro nutrients. )

The substrate, Eco-complete, advertises "contains volcanic basalt incorporating over 30 different elements. This substrate has all the mineral nutrients necessary for luxuriant aquatic plant growth without nuisance algae. It is also rich in iron to eliminate the need for messy laterites. Features: Flora-Spore Root Enhancement Symbionts; No rinsing; Packed in water conditioning solution for immediate results."  I've never used anything like that before. No chance that has been messing with the process? For the first several days after the tank was set up we noticed a sort of slight filmy growth on the substrate, and along the bottom of the sides of the tank, but only where there was substrate.

The ammonia in the big tank tonight is at about 1, so still very safe. No nitrites, no nitrates. Going to move Big Bertha the cory over tomorrow, and see how that goes. We are getting a bit of nitrites in the little tank now.

The guy I'm taking the water to really seems to know his stuff, so he'll be thorough, I'm thinking. I will bring up the phosphorus thing with him, for sure.

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2019, 02:48:08 PM »
LFS guy is not in today. Will go back down on Saturday to have him test the water.

60 Litre tank is at 6 or less Ph, 1.0 ammonia, no Nitrite, no Nitrate. Tank is at 77F.

5 gallon tank now is at 6.0 or less, 1.0 ammonia, up to .5 Nitrite (possibly a bit higher), no Nitrate yet, so it's starting. Tank is at 77F.

Took one of the large  corys over to the large tank yesterday. She's happy as a clam. (And six times as big as the little guys now in there. She's a veritable behemoth!)) It was interesting - this was her first time seeing actual sand. It took her a bit to get acclimated, and then she started rooting in it as if she'd always done. Good to see her being able to exhibit natural behaviors.  ;D

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2019, 02:27:38 PM »
60 Litre tank is at 6 or less Ph, 1.0 ammonia, no Nitrite, no Nitrate. Tank is at 77F.

5 gallon tank now is at 6.0 or less, 1.0 ammonia, up to .5 Nitrite (possibly a bit higher), no Nitrate yet, so it's starting. Tank is at 77F.

Took one of the large  corys over to the large tank yesterday. She's happy as a clam.

Hi Nan,

Putting together each of your statements above, you are obviously still getting high ammonia readings in both tanks. But your cory survived because the pH is low (6.0 or less). If you measured ammonia at 1.0ppm and pH=7.5, for example, then your cory would be subjected to free ammonia, which is toxic. The higher the pH, the more toxic the ammonia becomes. This is what Sue was saying in a previous post. But here is the dilemma. The optimum pH range for cycling a tank is from 7.4 - 8.0. At pH=6.0 and below, nitrifying bacteria struggle or die. If we can raise your tank pH readings to around 7.4, then the nitrifying bacteria should start to multiply in numbers and this, in turn, will start to reduce ammonia. Didn't we discuss this on another one of your threads a couple of weeks ago?

So, I would approach this by gradually increasing alkalinity/KH. I have done this without any ill-effects for soft water fish (German Blue Rams) by using sodium bicarbonate (aka baking soda). The API KH test kit is a suitable option for monitoring changes. In your 60l tank, just 2g sodium bicarbonate should increase KH by approximately 1dKH. So, we're talking small quantities. This should approximate to 1ml of sodium bicarbonate. That's about one-fifth of a UK level teaspoon. You will need to use proportionately less for your 5 gallon tank.

With further additions of sodium bicarbonate and careful monitoring of KH, pH and ammonia, you may be able to change the water chemistry sufficiently to bring the nitrifying bacteria to life. In fact, it may be a good idea to add Tetra SafeStart to supplement whatever nitrifying bacteria you already have.

I offer the above with a degree of hesitation. I seem to recall that you wanted to keep your fish in these tanks despite the water conditions being unfavourable. My preference at the outset would have been to start up a new tank in which you could have safely housed your fish but only when the cycle had been completed. But, we are where we are. So, let's see what can be done.

JPC

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2019, 03:51:34 PM »
Hi JPC - The five gallon tank was doing fine, and I was trying to keep the fish there until the 60 litre tank had cycled without fish in it.

Unfortunately, although I thought having a second filter running in the 5 gallon for 4 or 5 weeks would have gotten a decent bacterial colony going in it, that didn't happen. (Apparently?)  I moved one of the little filters from the 5 gallon to the 60 litre, and sacrificed the filter media to that tank. I put the filter back into the the 5 gallon tank after several days with a fresh filter media and the tank crashed. I lost several babies overnight.  It is now starting to cycle again. I've poured half a bottle of  bacteria on the sponges. I am using Prime, and now that the Nitrites are showing I am also doing water changes.

The big tank had finally started to have the nitrites drop from obscenely high, and I had some nitrate reading. It arbitrarily crashed. I now have ammonia only (and am using Prime), no nitrites, no nitrates (as of yesterday afternoon).

As the water in the big tank is more stable, although not ideal, I've moved the babies into it, along with their mother, Bertha, until the 5 gallon tank cycles. I'm keeping a close eye on it.

There are still two corys and a few neons left in the 5 gallon. They are all acting as if things are well, and I'm checking water chemistry twice a day.

Yes, we had talked about changing the Ph in another thread. I have API "Up", and it takes a double dose of it in the big tank to have any appreciable change in Ph. Until I can get to the LFS and get some cockleshells or crushed coral, I'm in "just keep everyone alive" mode. Now that the fish have been in there for a while and we are getting ammonia, I'm watching to see if we get any nitrite. If not in a few days, I'll be changing some of the water out and will replace it with water that's been treated with "Up." Then the same, if necessary.  I have treated the water with Prime before it goes into the tank, because we have chloramines in the water. The gent who I had hoped would test the water for phosphate was not available yesterday, so it will be Saturday before I can get back down there again to his shop.

I ordered Tetra Safe Start Plus early last week, and am waiting for it to be delivered by Amazon. It seems to be taking forever.

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 04:20:20 PM »
The problem with adding an extra filter is that unless you also increase the number of fish in the tank to get the bacteria to make more of them, the bacteria will stay in the old media. The same number of fish = the same number of bacteria to deal with their waste so they just stay where they are.

Personally I so not like using sodium in a tank because it makes the water unlike anything found in nature. It ay not affect the GH of the water but it increased TDS (total dissolved solids) which is the opposite of what dost water fish need. Calcium carbonate (and magnesium carbonate to a small extent) is better as that add the minerals found naturally in harder water. In other words, shells, coral, limestone, aragonite and especially dolomite are better that bicarbonate of soda. But bicarb dissolves instantly raising KH and pH instantly while shells. coral etc are a long term solution as they dissolve very slowly.
But in your case, the tank would cycle faster with higher KH and pH (though ammonia is more toxic the higher the pH) and once it is cycled, you can gradually stop using bicarb/pH up and use more natural ways of boosting KH. Having a low pH is perfectly OK with fish that prefer acidic water.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 04:43:25 PM »
Hi Nan,

Thanks for the update.

Although Seachem Prime is well-respected, I have never used it. Also, when you say "I've poured half a bottle of  bacteria on the sponges", which bacterial product did you use? With reference to Tetra SafeStart Plus, that is a new product if I understand rightly. Perhaps that's why it's taking so long to arrive. It may be worth asking Amazon to swap it for SafeStart as that is an excellent product.

JPC

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "The tribulations of cycling a new tank - need advice"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
Last post July 19, 2013, 09:09:59 PM
by SteveS
3 Replies
Last post July 30, 2014, 03:39:24 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post September 28, 2014, 08:51:22 PM
by Jwc
29 Replies
Last post July 04, 2016, 01:49:11 PM
by fcmf
4 Replies
Last post October 09, 2015, 03:32:33 PM
by Alex_N
1 Replies
Last post August 07, 2016, 11:26:45 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post March 17, 2017, 01:15:49 PM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: