The Tribulations Of Cycling A New Tank - Need Advice

Author Topic: The tribulations of cycling a new tank - need advice  (Read 13919 times) 79 replies

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re: The tribulations of cycling a new tank - need advice
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2019, 03:37:54 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
More eggs.  :o
Have scraped.

Poor Big Bertha, she's gotta be tired!

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2019, 07:55:00 PM »
Ahah.  :D

Big tank - pH over 6 and less than 6.4
Ammonia - between 1 and 2, probably closer to 2
Nitrite - definitely .25 (FINALLY)
didn't test for nitrate tonight.

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2019, 04:11:44 PM »
more eggs. same yesterday.

She's laying them faster than I can find them all!

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2019, 08:33:39 PM »
Wow.  :o
Bertha really seems to be going for it.

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2019, 06:20:45 PM »
Yeah, this can't be good for her? Laying eggs so often? I scrape them off the glass and then just don't feed the fish that day. The eggs vanish.  But if I do a large (more than a few litres) water change or mess with the internal bits of the tank very much at all (like to cut out and remove dead leaves or re-set plants in the gravel), blammo, fish orgy that night!  ???

On the good side, the tank seems to be starting to cycle. I've got ammonia between 1 and 2 (closer to 1, I'd say), nitrites at .25, and nitrates at 10. The pH I'm artificially propping up to just over 6 by doing a few litres of fresh water that has had dolomite sitting in it for a few days, every other day. I also put a few tablespoons of dolomite gravel and crushed coral down next to the sponge filters in the filter housing and dosed the sponges with Tetra's Safe Start Plus (which I'm told by Tetra is the same as Safe Start, just how they market it in the USA) on Friday. Three days later, I'm getting nitrate readings.

Cool.  ;D

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2019, 01:12:00 PM »
Ok. The tank is still cycling. Which is ok, as it's cycling and not NOT cycling. ;D

Big Bertha lays eggs faster than I can find and remove them. I think we're going to go with a female betta to help with that problem. Unfortunately, I'm not able to find any shops that stock female bettas regularly.  Pets at Home has a nice little one, but all their tanks are currently quarantined and they're not selling her right now. Not sure I'd want to buy her later, either, with that kind of history....

Does anyone know of a shop in Scotland that sells female Betta fish?

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2019, 06:03:52 PM »
Does anyone know of a shop in Scotland that sells female Betta fish?
Most of the shops in Scotland are these ones https://www.fishkeeperscotland.co.uk/ and one will vary from another as to what they stock, so best to contact them individually.
Some independents include Riverside Aquaria, Central Aquatics, Waterworld Aquatics, House of Pisces, Discovery Aquatics.
Pets At Home varies from one branch to another in terms of knowledge and care of staff - it might be worth chatting to the staff at the one you've spotted the female betta in, to gauge how much knowledge/otherwise they have and where the stock and that particular betta has come from. At least they're quarantining her and other stock which is a positive sign - that may be for no reason other than precautionary.

Offline Sue

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2019, 07:09:16 PM »
Be careful when buying a female betta. Some shops (and more likely their wholesalers) can't tell the difference between females and short finned males. It is common to find a male in a tank of females. Look at the 'beard' if the fish flares. With females, the gill membranes stick out at the side only. With males, the membranes go all the way under the head as well so that it looks like a beard.

And some female bettas are more aggressive than males. Have a back up plan just in case. Even something like a breeding net - with a cover as bettas can jump - will give you breathing space to sort out something permanent.

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2019, 02:43:08 PM »
Ok, is there some other fish, perhaps?

Just looked in the small tank, to which I'd moved some of the clippings from the large tank. There are now 5 fry in there! (Oh my.) Big Bertha has been laying eggs at least twice a week, and I'm not sure I've gotten them all. I think Big B is going to have to go back in the small tank for a while until I can sort out something to take care of all the eggs/fry!

Offline Sue

« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2019, 03:07:19 PM »
You could try temporarily separating her from the males. I know they should not be kept alone, but it might be worth trying till you can decide another course of action. Any eggs she might lay in isolation would not be fertile.
At least it'll give you some breathing space!

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2019, 03:17:51 PM »
Yeah, that's plan "A". Assuming we can catch her! (This is not going to be easy.)

I wonder if a gourami would help with the problem. My daughter saw one at the Pets-at-Home that she's been talking about. She really wants a male betta, and I've veto'd that for putting in my tank with all the corys. We had devolved down to a female betta, but if there's a chance she would be cranky to the corys (the ones we want to keep alive), it would seem some other fish would be the option.

The pH of the water is holding at about 6.4 now, which is good. But probably still too acidic for a shrimp. Which are obscenely expensive in this country anyway! We used to pay the equivalent of about 20p per ghost shrimp in the States. The only ones we've found here are like ten times that! Oh, well, I may have to just shell out for a few and see if they'll help with the problem of the eggs.  I wonder if getting a male guppy... I seem to remember guppies were omnivorous?

Offline Sue

« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2019, 03:22:16 PM »
No guppies with your soft water I'm afraid. All livebearers are hard water fish.

Most fish will eat eggs. I don't like buying a fish to solve a problem, only fish that you want to have in the tank.

Honey gouramis would be OK in your water, and the tank size. I would avoid dwarf gouramis because of health problems. Apart form sparkling gouramis, the rest get too big for 60 litres.

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2019, 03:41:34 PM »
I'm not wild about buying an assassin, but there has to be balance in the tank or Big Bertha is going to live out her life in solitary, which is just mean.

We were going to, initially, try to get a school of flame tetras to go in there, as they are very small. Before we realized how many fry had survived. I think they might overload the tank now, though. And although they are tetras, I don't think they'd help with the overpopulation problem. The neons we have in the small tank (which has, thankfully, recycled itself) couldn't care less about fish eggs or fry. (I had read somewhere that tetras  would be good as they'd eat the fry. Maybe somebody else's fry, but ours don't. So I don't want to gamble on the flame tetras.)

Right now it's a 60litre tank, heavily planted, and has 9 albino corys in there (the three originals and the six surviving young). That I know of. There could be more.  Oh, and there's still little Rambo, the one fry that went in as an egg when we first started to cycle the tank. So 10 corys. The filter is rated for an 80 litre tank, but I don't like pushing the envelope with too many fish. (That is, after all, how we ended up with the larger tank.) When all those guys are grown, that's pretty much the limit of what that tank should have.

The daughter has wanted a betta, so that would not be an unwanted fish. She also saw a lovely gourami, but I am afraid it is a dwarf. (I know about the 20% of the ones being imported having that ghastly disease.)

Hmmm. Snail? Is there a kind of snail that eats eggs (and we also have some algae) that doesn't reproduce faster than a bunny?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2019, 08:29:40 AM »
I have assassin snails, and they have lovely markings. They don't breed quickly, though mine have had a few little ones over the years.
I'm guessing that they would eat fish eggs, but I don't know if they'd make a dent in the amount of eggs that your Bertha is laying.
I also have some nerite snails in a couple of tanks. I'm not sure how good they are with eating fish eggs, but there are such a variety of colours, markings, types of nerites that you'd probably find one that you like.
I also ended up with free rabbit snail when purchasing some amano shrimp a while back, and I think it's a nice looking snail (black shell, yellow body). Those snails would help with algae.

How do you feel about shrimp? Good with algae, but I'm not totally convinced they would help with the egg problem.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2019, 08:49:07 AM »
I'm a doofus! I've just read back through this thread and have seen that your water is on the acidic side, so there may be problems with keeping shrimp & snails.

I'm wondering if it's worth trying to discourage the breeding behaviour in your cories. Large volume cool water changes are usually suggested as a trigger for spawning. Perhaps smaller, warmer, more frequent water changes could help to avoid this? Maybe? I understand you not wanting to keep Bertha separated from the rest of the group for ever (though it might be the only guaranteed option to avoid eggs), so we could have a look at what we could do in the tank to avoid encouraging spawning.

Offline Sue

« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2019, 10:34:08 AM »
The only other alternative would be to have a shoal of female only cories, but I don't think that is very practical  :( Trying to choose only female cories from a shop tank is impossible.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2019, 03:15:35 PM »
Picking up on a point above re snails, I have nerite snails which I keep in very soft water (along with daily supplies of Snail Stixx for their shells' sake). However, these particular snails are herbivores, so are very unlikely to eat eggs.

[Interesting that you should mention flame tetras - given their small stature, they are a possiblity for future stocking on my rather long list of possibilities.]

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2019, 10:16:40 AM »
Yeah, we already have a ton of corys - that's kind of the problem. So getting more at a shop isn't doable. At this point I am wondering if there is an organization where I can adopt out some of the corys?  Big Bertha is still laying eggs twice a week, and it seems to have nothing to do with water changes.  She is not laying nearly as many, though, which is good.  She uses the same spot on the back of the tank, and the same plant leaf (at least, those are the ones I've found). I scrape the glass, and get as many off the leaf as I can. I did not feed them supper last night and there are no eggs left on the leaf, so I'm thinking they may have taken care of the problem themselves. If we can keep that going, and maybe add something that also eats eggs, the problem may be solved. I don't want to keep bringing unwanted fish into the world, regardless of how cute they are.

We do have too many corys, though.  In checking the little tank, it appears there are at least five fry in there now. They must have been eggs attached to the leaves we moved after trimming in the other tank.  They are lovely little fish, but we really just have too many of them!

I would like to get us down from 15 to maybe five or six. (Big Bertha and the Boys, and three of the fry. And maybe Rambo, who still seems to be alive in the big tank.) Then we could add the flame tetras as planned. Or the female betta.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2019, 10:54:45 AM »
At this point I am wondering if there is an organization where I can adopt out some of the corys?
Some LFSs take in fish, possibly in exchange for credit.
Alternatively, you could put up an advert under the appropriate location at http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/php/county.php
Alternatively again, these folk might be able to help / members willing to take some: https://www.facebook.com/CentralAquaristSocietyscotland/

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2019, 11:37:32 AM »
Thanks. Do you know any way to reach the Aquarist Society that doesn't involve Facebook? We don't use it so I can't message them there.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "The tribulations of cycling a new tank - need advice"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
Last post July 19, 2013, 09:09:59 PM
by SteveS
3 Replies
Last post July 30, 2014, 03:39:24 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post September 28, 2014, 08:51:22 PM
by Jwc
29 Replies
Last post July 04, 2016, 01:49:11 PM
by fcmf
4 Replies
Last post October 09, 2015, 03:32:33 PM
by Alex_N
1 Replies
Last post August 07, 2016, 11:26:45 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post March 17, 2017, 01:15:49 PM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: