The Tribulations Of Cycling A New Tank - Need Advice

Author Topic: The tribulations of cycling a new tank - need advice  (Read 13994 times) 79 replies

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re: The tribulations of cycling a new tank - need advice
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2019, 05:05:32 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi JPC/Sue.

I used Dr. Tim's One and Only. I have been reading comments online that say it won't really start working until the ammonia is around 2. (???)  There is definitely something going on in the little tank, just not the big one.

I checked the tracking on Safe Start Plus and it's due here any day - it came from the States and has been turned over to Royal Mail as of Tuesday down in England. So it should be here tomorrow or Saturday.

The little tank was badly overstocked and so I assumed there was more than enough stuff to feed the bacteria in two filters. The corys spawned and a goodly number of them survived. (!) I've never had that happen before, so I was caught by surprise. I had been planning to get a bigger tank, but was waiting to see how Brexit shook out - if we were going to have to leave or not - but had my hand forced by the addition of so many babies.

The API "Up" treatment says to add .5 teaspoon for every 25 gallons. I assume that's US gallons. Since a 60 litre tank is around a 15 US gallon tank, I gave it .25 of a teaspoon in some extra water. I will check the Ph again later tonight, and tomorrow if it hasn't changed I'll add another .25 with some fresh water. If memory serves, early on in the cycle that had been working I did add enough to raise the Ph, and it took a double-dose for it to even register.

So, the bacteria should be attaching the the filter, the gravel, and the stuff in there (the bogwood, etc.) and not be free-floating in the tank water, correct? So if I change some water out tomorrow (to hypothetically refresh any phosphorus that's been used up) it's not going to be removing the bacteria?

Edit: I just checked the water in the big tank again and had my daughter look at the colors for me (she's an artist and has a very good eye for colors). No change. Ph shows at 6, though it's very pale. Ammonia at 1. No nitrite, no nitrate.  The corys are doing extremely well in there and are growing. Now that the mother, Big Bertha, is in there, they are all schooling together. Very cool to see, really.  ;D

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2019, 05:07:12 PM »
Just a thought. Calcium carbonate. Would that be the same calcium as in human calcium carbonate dietary supplement tablets?

Offline jaypeecee

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Still learning...
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2019, 05:46:52 PM »
Personally I so not like using sodium in a tank because it makes the water unlike anything found in nature.

Hi Sue,

I would need to check if sodium is found in natural waters. In the meantime, are you aware that domestic tap water can contain up to 200 mg/l of sodium? That's its PCV (Prescribed Concentration or Value). Last year, in my regional tap water supply (South East Water), the measured range for sodium was from 19.0 to 37.6 mg/l. Apparently, it comes from sodium hypochlorite (bleach), which is used as a safer alternative to chlorine gas as a disinfectant. Here is a bit of bedtime reading:

https://www.lenntech.com/processes/disinfection/chemical/disinfectants-sodium-hypochlorite.htm

Furthermore, sodium is one of the elements used in Seachem Replenish for remineralizing RO/DI water. Other companies producing freshwater remineralizing electrolytes also include sodium.

JPC

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2019, 05:56:24 PM »
That is interesting, JPC.

I just did the daily test on the little 5 gallon and it's chugging.
Ph is 6.6 (so it IS something in the other tank that's dropping the Ph! It's either the Eco substrate or the bogwood, I assume? Probably the latter?)
Ammonia 2 to 4, closer to 4 I think
Nitrite 1.0
and, surprisingly, Nitrate, 5.0. There was a definite color change.

I had put a half bottle of Dr. Tim's on the sponges in both filters in this tank several days ago.  I believe I'll do a partial water change now (with Prime), because even if I do and even if Dr. Tim's really does need 2.0 Ammonia to work, there will still be enough left to meet that. If it's a lack of phosphorus, this added water should replenish it.

Back before the addition of all the babies and the crash, I was doing a 30% water change weekly and the tank had been healthy and stable for over a year. So hopefully we can get back there again soon. I am going to leave the second small filter in there just so it builds up some bacteria. In case of future emergencies in either tank, at least it'll be a backup.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2019, 07:07:24 PM »
My water quality report gives min 4.4, max 8.7, mean 6.55 mg sodium per litre.

I know that using salt on a routine basis is not good for soft water fish, though hard water fish do have a better tolerance. It is fine to use it for a limited period but not routinely.
But it all depends on just how much sodium is added to a tank. If the addition of bicarb is kept as low as possible - just enough to get KH high enough for cycling, and then for keeping the pH stable once there are fish - it is probably OK. My tap water has KH 3 and my pH is stable because I do regular water changes to replenish it. The danger would come if a fishkeeper added a lot of bicarb to increase very low KH to, say, well over 10.
This is my main reluctance in advising the use of bicarb - we can never know just how much someone reading a post will actually use in their tank.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2019, 08:15:12 PM »
My water quality report gives min 4.4, max 8.7, mean 6.55 mg sodium per litre.

I know that using salt on a routine basis is not good for soft water fish, though hard water fish do have a better tolerance. It is fine to use it for a limited period but not routinely.
But it all depends on just how much sodium is added to a tank. If the addition of bicarb is kept as low as possible - just enough to get KH high enough for cycling, and then for keeping the pH stable once there are fish - it is probably OK. My tap water has KH 3 and my pH is stable because I do regular water changes to replenish it. The danger would come if a fishkeeper added a lot of bicarb to increase very low KH to, say, well over 10.
This is my main reluctance in advising the use of bicarb - we can never know just how much someone reading a post will actually use in their tank.

Hi Sue,

My mean sodium level in tap water is 26.06 mg/l, four times higher than in your location. Perhaps this figure correlates with population density. It's pretty heavily populated where I am - 30 miles West of London.

When you refer to salt, I assume you are referring to sodium chloride. But sodium bicarbonate will behave differently, won't it?

I think most fishkeepers - including beginners - realize that they can't just add 'chemicals' to a tank without checking the recommended dosage first. For my part, that is why I gave detailed instructions to Nan specifically for the size of tanks being discussed.

JPC

Offline Sue

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2019, 12:08:38 PM »
Sodium chloride and sodium hydrogen carbonate are both salts in the chemical sense. A soluble salt will dissociate completely into its ions when dissolved in water. So both sodium chloride and sodium hydrogen carbonate will result in sodium ions in the water. It's the other half, the anion, which is different. Chloride does nothing to the hardness (GH or KH) and will not affect the pH. The hydrogen carbonate anion will affect KG and pH but not GH.
But both put sodium into the water, and this is the 'bad' half of the molecule.

I agree that everyone will try not to overdose chemicals. This is easy when there are instructions on a bottle of a medication, but I do wonder if someone reading "bicarb helps during cycling" will stop reading at that point and just throw in a handful.
I should add that I have used bicarb during a fishless cycle as I have low KH. When I did my first fishless cycle, I had no idea how low it was and the pH crashed. Adding bicarb saved that cycle.

I'm in the North Yorks/County Durham border area which is not highly populated. Our water comes from Kielder reservoir in the wilds of Northumberland which is why my tap nitrate is so low at a mean of 2.2165 ppm, something I am very grateful for.

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2019, 01:15:01 PM »
So, I checked the big tank. Ammonia is going up and nothing else happened. Had put in 1/4 teaspoon of "Up" last night, no change. Have put in another 1/4 teaspoon this morning, will check this evening and re-dose again, and then check in the morning.

The Tetra SafeStartPlus has arrived and been deployed, per the instructions on the bottle.

Edit: no appreciable change in Ph after the second 1/4 teaspoon dose, so it's had another not long ago (around 4pm). Ph is now reading 6.4. Will check it again in the morning, and possibly put another 1/8th teaspoon in. Don't want to raise it too much due to the ammonia level. The 5 gallon tank is starting to cycle with Ph of 6.4, so fingers are crossed for the big one.

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2019, 09:50:00 AM »
Small tank is definitely cycling, have appreciable nitrAtes showing. For some odd reason, the heater got it up to 80F overnight. The alarm on the tank alerted me (aka woke me up in the middle of the darned night!) and I was able to turn the previously perfectly functional heater down. It is now back to 77F. As it's cycling for sure, I did a 33% water change to drop the nitrites down. Used water that I had treated with  Prime two days ago and had left sitting out, so the Prime shouldn't interfere with any of the bacteria.  Will check again later this evening and possibly do another one, as I still have aged water left over. The fish are doing well.

The big tank - the Ph is back down to 6 (or less) this morning. I added another 1/4 teaspoon of "Up" to bring it back up a bit to the 6.4 range. The fish appear to be doing well.

Edit:  Big Tank this morning, several hours AFTER adding .25 teaspoon API "Up".

Temp 77F
Ph  6, perhaps just a bit higher but not to the next color
Ammonia 2
Nitrites - none detectable
NitrAtes - It seems there is a trace there, as it's not pale yellow but not as deep a color as the lowest non-yellow on the API chart.

Added another .25 of Ph "Up" to the tank.
Added the weekly plant food. Some of the plants are not looking too good.
The corys are still appearing happy and healthy.
I have finally sourced a supply of crushed coral (in a small amount) and it should be here in a few days. I will be adding it to the tank to help buffer the water.

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2019, 05:38:02 PM »
Yeah, ok, I'm in a time warp with the big tank. (The small tank is going through the thing as it should.)

Temp 77F
Ph  6, perhaps just a bit higher
Ammonia 2
Nitrites - none detectable
Nitrates - not really any detectable

I put in half a teaspoon (in quarter-teaspoon increments a few hours apart) of API "Up" (sodium carbonate) every evening and get nada, and with another quarter teaspoon a reading  closer to the next color on the chart (6.4?).  Next day it's gone.

On the good side, I don't believe the fish are suffering any ill or harm. On the bad, I don't have a cycling tank, even after the addition of a  bottle of good bacteria (or, two half-bottles: Dr. Tim's and Tetra SafeStart Plus).
I did put some of the dolomite gravel in, in a mesh bag hanging by the filter, but I assume that will take a long time to do much of anything.

I wonder if it's safe to put a higher dosage of "Up" in there? Will give it another 1/4 teaspoon in a bit.

I have changed 25% of the water (yesterday). I have not been able to get to the LFS to have the Phosphate checked.  The guy at the LFS, when I was buying sand from him, said he just used local tap water, but put in cockleshells and his fish are great. Of course, he sells fish and they are not in planted, bog-wooded aquariums. So I think it's gotta be more the Ph than Phosphorus - or his tanks wouldn't do well on "only local tap water".... At one point since the crash I changed most of the water, before the fish went in. I've done periodic 25% changes since then. I guess I'll just keep doing periodic water changes to keep whatever minerals are in the tap water going into the tank until I can sort this out.

Offline Sue

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2019, 06:36:20 PM »
How well planted is the tank? If there are lots of plants they should remove the ammonia instead of the bacteria. Always provided they are plants that like soft acidic water, of course.

On another forum is a chap who has virtually no GH or KH in his water and the pH often drops as low as 4.5 (he bought a test kit that goes that low). He does nothing to increase GH, or KH or pH and keeps only soft water fish. He has a fishroom rather than a couple of tanks and all his fish thrive.

With your pH, that ammonia is safe. You have no nitrite so that's OK. As long as you have no nitrite, you don't need to worry. Once the plants start to grow well, they should take care of the ammonia. Bacteria will grow slowly over time.
Of the bacteria you've added, some will grow at low pH and those are the ones you need. They will survive and multiply albeit slowly.

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2019, 11:38:05 PM »
It has quite a few plants, and most of them have doubled in size since we put them in. The moss balls looked bad after a while so they are now in a glass bowl in my kitchen instead.  My guess is that the bogwood is taking the Ph down, since the little tank registers at 6. to 6.4 pretty reliably. So I'll just change some water every few days.  If it takes 3/4 of a teaspoon to raise the Ph up to around 6.2 (guessing), and the instructions on the "Up" say a normal dose is 1/2 teaspoon for 25 gallons, and I'm giving it 3/4ths teaspoon for basically 15 gallons to have something show up over 6 in the test, it must be low indeed!

Well, on the good side, I don't have to worry about the tank cycle crashing if there isn't one to start with! No, still no nitrites. Ammonia has not gone over 2. Looks like just keeping tabs on it daily is the way to go. Glad I ordered some API ammonia strips. ;) I have crushed coral due to arrive sometime next week, and perhaps I'll put a bit of that in a bag as well, as I did with the dolomite. Just so there are some minerals in the water, other than what goes in with the plant food weekly.

I think we're going to just have the corys in this tank, after all. They just seem so happy in there, and we have so many of them, that it seems the best plan. And they, if memory serves, prefer their water a bit on the acidic side.

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2019, 01:05:52 AM »
Still no nitrites. No nitrates. Same pH issues. Ammonia, after a 25% water change, is hanging at about 1ppm, possibly a bit less.

The small tank is cycling - ammonia going down, Nitrites are up (water changed, then Prime). Possibly some Nitrates - hard to tell. Could be a trick of lighting.

We seem to have an algae beginning to coat the bogwood in the big tank. And there were spots of brown algae (now removed) on the side of the filter and back glass. I think that corys don't actually eat algae. Perhaps we might need a large snail for that purpose. Except I don't want a snail if it's going to eat the live plants? Then again, in nature, the log would probably have algae on it, so.... ::)

Have moved the remaining corys to the big tank. They seem happy. They are extremely endearing little fish. The down side is that we used to have three, and each had a name. So now we have 9, and although I can easily still identify the original three, I'm thinking that eventually the other six are going to be indistinguishable from each other!

The neons remaining in the small tank seem somewhat traumatized. It was not easy to get the corys out of the tank, and a lot of the tank decor had to be removed to do it.  It's back in, but things have been moved around a bit. Their water is being watched closely.

Offline Sue

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2019, 09:13:34 AM »
Brown algae is usually diatoms, common in new tanks. It's the ammonia that encourages it to grow. The good news is that once the tank is established, it goes away.

This is assuming that you have diatoms - does the brown wipe off easily?

Cories don't eat algae. They are primarily 'meat' eaters (meaning tiny creatures in the wild).

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2019, 10:44:52 AM »
Yes, it wipes right off.

Sigh. They're breeding again. If the current offspring were older I'd just assume that if I cut back on their sinking wafers they'd eat the eggs. But the eggs are quite a bit larger than their little mouths. And if I cut back on the wafers, the bigger corys will eat the wafers and the young won't get them. I assume the adults will eat a lot of the eggs anyway, but some will likely survive. She's strategically placing them all over the tank.

I guess the two adult males have to go back to the small tank until the current juveniles are a bit larger (and can eat eggs), or I'm going to be up to my eyeballs in albino corys!  :(

Unless there is a small soft-water fish, other than a cory, that doesn't need to be with its own kind, and likes to eat algae AND cory eggs? FEMALE betta?

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2019, 03:01:52 PM »
This isn't a fish suggestion... but an Amano shrimp would be perfect...

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2019, 04:17:48 PM »
They do well in acid water?

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2019, 10:47:23 PM »
Only checked one website... which simply says below ph6 they may struggle...

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2019, 10:57:49 PM »
Yeah, that's what I saw. And this water is doing well to get up to 6.  Might have to go with a female betta to handle the eggs, unless I can find something else.  The algae isn't that bad, really.

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2019, 03:05:14 PM »
The pH in the small tank is up a bit - probably due to the small amount of dolomite gravel I sprinkled in. It's at 6.4 to 6.6. Ammonia is down, nitrites are down a bit, but not seeing nitrate yet, reliably. There are now only 4 neons in the tank, so the pressure is off the filters a bit.

The big tank has a slightly higher pH than it previously has had -  it is noticeably over 6, maybe not quite to the next level. I have a couple of net bags with the dolomite gravel hanging in there by the filter outlet.  Hopefully the added minerals will keep the pH steady and benefit that one poor little snail in there with the translucent shell!  Ammonia is holding at around 1.0 now - I assumed that since there were more fish in there now it would go up slightly, but I think the plants are eating it. Still no nitrite or nitrate. But since the pH is now at or over six instead of well under it, perhaps some bacteria will develop. I think we've got a little algae thing going on in the water, as everything looks just vaguely greenish.  Going to cut the lighting back a bit, I think.

I got most of the eggs scraped out, but there are some on the plant leaves that I can't get. They're not being eaten. I am wondering if a female betta would be the answer here? Or can you keep just one or two guppyies (male only!) in this type of environment for the egg-disposal purposes? I know they eat live guppy offspring, so I'm assuming they'd either eat the eggs before they hatch or get the larvae.  Or is there some other, small solitary fish that would work, I wonder? If mollies didn't get large I'd get one, but I also don't know if they could handle that water. We had, at one time, wanted ember tetras, which are tiny. Need to do more research on them. Do not want to overload the tank, but we definitely need something that'll take care of the results of the perpetually amorous albino corys!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "The tribulations of cycling a new tank - need advice"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
Last post July 19, 2013, 09:09:59 PM
by SteveS
3 Replies
Last post July 30, 2014, 03:39:24 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post September 28, 2014, 08:51:22 PM
by Jwc
29 Replies
Last post July 04, 2016, 01:49:11 PM
by fcmf
4 Replies
Last post October 09, 2015, 03:32:33 PM
by Alex_N
1 Replies
Last post August 07, 2016, 11:26:45 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post March 17, 2017, 01:15:49 PM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: