Filter Stopped

Author Topic: Filter stopped  (Read 5320 times) 7 replies

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
Filter stopped
« on: September 16, 2013, 02:37:22 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi All.

While doing my water change today I turned of my filter (fluval U2) as usual but when I plugged it back in it was not running. After a bit of panic thinking i'd have to rush out and buy another U2 and put my existing media into that, I tried different sockets to no avail, then all of a sudden it started again in the usual socket I have it plugged into. All I can think is that the impeller is due for a good clean and that is why it struggled to start again once stopped.  It has been running about 5 months but I am very wary of doing this as i'm not good with taking things apart even with instructions

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Filter stopped
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 03:26:29 PM »
I used to have a Hagen Trio filter, and Hagen also makes Fluvals. The filter I had suffered from a problem - when it was turned off, it wouldn't start again by itself, even if the impeller and the well had been scrubbed sparkling clean. I did solve the problem, but it did leave me worried about power cuts. I had to remove the pump from the filter and start it manually every time I did a water change. It was a bit fiddly at first, but after the first couple of times it only took a few seconds.

I don't know if it would work with your filter but you could try. Looking at the U2 manual, the pump is at the bottom of the filter and the whole thing slots into the bracket. You would have to lift the filter out of the bracket, slip the wire out of its slot and squeeze the release arms on the sides of the motor housing to remove the pump and put the rest of the filter carefully on the tank bottom. Then just turn the electric back on, flick the impeller vanes and if that starts it, push the pump back into the filter, position the wire and slip the filter back into the bracket. Being very careful not to soak yourself in the process - make sure the outflow is pointing downwards at all times till you reseat the filter into the bracket.

If you also want to clean it before restarting, it is much easier to remove the impeller with a pair of tweezers. I have snapped the ceramic shaft in my Eheims by trying to pull it out with my fingers and twisting it. That's why I keep a spare shaft in the cupboard.

Actually, looking at the diagram in the manual more closely, it seems that the impeller sits on a shaft that is itself seated in a plastic holder. Which is exactly how my Trio was. They provided a hook to remove this holder to clean it, but sometimes it was a wrestling match to get it out. And googling the replacement part number, the images look exactly the same as the Trio's. They call it the impeller shaft assembly. Hmmmmm, maybe the U series do suffer from the same problem as the Trio.

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 04:43:50 PM »
Oh that all sounds like a messing around to be honest , I will hope it was just a one off and see how it is next time, if it does the same I will have to buy a new filter. Any recommendations for a similar type of filter or would I have to buy the same so I can just swap my media into a new U2?

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 05:07:43 PM »
Yes it was quite a bit of messing around, to be honest.

The U2 - it has a box with ceramic media in, two thin boxes with foam in, and 2 flat pads that are white on one side, black on the other? The flat black and white things can be thrown away. The sponges can be cut up if necessary and the cermaics can go anywhere, in a mesh bag if needed.

You have a Roma 90 don't you? And it's 60cm long?
I have Eheim internals, both aquaball and biopower. The biopowers range would be easiest to get your media into. There are 3 sizes, the smallest is rated for 80 to 160 litres with a quoted turnover of 180 to 550 litres per hour; the middle one is rated for 100 to 200 litres with a turnover of 210 to 650 litres per hour. The flow rate is variable as you can turn it down.
With the smallest, there is a basket with a cylindrical sponge at the bottom, a basket with a ceramic medium in the middle and a sponge in the top section. You could easily cut up your foam pads to the same size as the top sponge, and put the ceramic media in the middle section with any left over sponge and top it up with their ceramic medium. The middle size has baskets with ceramic medium instead of one.

Those are the only current filters I have experience of - someone else may have better suggestions for yuor sized tank.

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 07:39:56 PM »
Yes it was quite a bit of messing around, to be honest.

The U2 - it has a box with ceramic media in, two thin boxes with foam in, and 2 flat pads that are white on one side, black on the other? The flat black and white things can be thrown away. The sponges can be cut up if necessary and the cermaics can go anywhere, in a mesh bag if needed.

You have a Roma 90 don't you? And it's 60cm long?
I have Eheim internals, both aquaball and biopower. The biopowers range would be easiest to get your media into. There are 3 sizes, the smallest is rated for 80 to 160 litres with a quoted turnover of 180 to 550 litres per hour; the middle one is rated for 100 to 200 litres with a turnover of 210 to 650 litres per hour. The flow rate is variable as you can turn it down.
With the smallest, there is a basket with a cylindrical sponge at the bottom, a basket with a ceramic medium in the middle and a sponge in the top section. You could easily cut up your foam pads to the same size as the top sponge, and put the ceramic media in the middle section with any left over sponge and top it up with their ceramic medium. The middle size has baskets with ceramic medium instead of one.

Those are the only current filters I have experience of - someone else may have better suggestions for yuor sized tank.

And I have been replacing these as per box instruction and I don't need them?.  So can I find these eheim filters in the shops or is it only online? And would I only need the small one?

Edited.  Just realised you meant throw them away if I buy a different filter

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 07:55:35 PM »
The flat black and white pads are carbon on one side, polyester on the other. Carbon only needs to be used for removing medication after treatment has finished, removing the brown colour that leaches from bogwood, or removing any odd smells you might get. The polyester part is for removing very fine particles that get through the foam pad. Carbon does get full quickly and if you want to use it, you do need to replace it regularly. Since you have been changing them regularly, you won't have many bacteria on them which is why you won't need to squeeze them into a new filter.

Some shops will stock the Eheims. I got an aquaball from a local shop that has since closed, and later I ordered my biopower though another shop. Any shop that stocks Eheim filters of any description should be able to order a specific model if they don't have it on the day you go in.
As for which model, the smallest one is rated for your tank size, but I have the biggest one in my 125 litre (it is rated for 160 to 240 litre tanks). If you want to maybe get a bigger tank down the line, go for the middle one. You can turn the flow down on them, and they do come with a mini spraybar which also cuts down the flow if you find that full on is too strong.

I like the biopowers, but don't get one just because I have them. Listen to other people's opinions as well.

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 08:01:04 PM »
Just been looking at them online, I thought I was getting a decent brand with the fluval but obviously not, it is still under guarantee but yet again, that could be more bother than its worth

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 02:35:18 PM »
Been in touch with Hagen regarding my filter not starting and was told it was more than likely slime build up on the impeller. I have just taken it out and cleaned it, and the well it sits in. There wasn't much on it to be honest but on the plus side I did manage to put it back together again and it did start up with no problem. Phew. I may still buy a spare filter in case anything untoward happens. Looked at the Eheim biopower that Sue recommended yesterday so know a shop now that does stock them.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Filter stopped"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
14 Replies
Last post March 29, 2013, 05:17:49 PM
by Skull
5 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 02:54:44 PM
by suep
8 Replies
Last post March 07, 2014, 12:40:29 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post February 05, 2014, 02:22:47 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post February 11, 2018, 05:00:40 PM
by rosaleen
2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2018, 10:34:59 PM
by fcmf
10 Replies
Last post September 01, 2019, 09:12:05 PM
by sharpandroid

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: