Author Topic: Sue's fishless cycle  (Read 42487 times) 172 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Sue's fishless cycle
« on: March 11, 2013, 05:05:50 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I am finally starting a fishless cycle  ;D

I had to put my betta to sleep today as he was sick and would have got a lot worse. http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,104.0.html
His tank will need disinfecting, so I can't just put another betta in it. I want to get another betta, so I have decided to cycle the identical quarantine tank. Once the weather improves a bit, I'll clean up the one I've just been using and that will become the QT.
Because this tank will house only one betta I do not intend to cycle to 5ppm. Using ammonia to keep the filter fed between bettas has shown that 2ppm is more than enough. The bottle of ammonia is quite old so will probably have lost a lot of ammonia gas since I bought it. I will need to add a small amount of ammonia, test the water then top up depending on just what the test results show.

I intend to test for just ammonia once a day until I see a drop in the reading. Then I will start to test twice a day for ammonia and nitrite. I will also need to test pH on a regular basis because of the KH of my tapwater.

All tests done with API liquid testers.

Tank details:
25 litres.
No substrate, ornaments or plants.
Elite mini filter with a brand new sponge as the only medium.
Water heated to 30oC

Before adding any ammonia, the base line tests showed:
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5ppm
KH 3o Geman
GH 7o German

I did not test the pH but instead left a glass of water to stand for 24 hours and I will test then for the baseline pH.
Edit: pH is approx 7.4. It's above 7.2 but below 7.6 with the standard range tester, and 7.4 with the high range tester.

Day 1 (11 March 2013)
0.5ml ammonia added
Ammonia reading 1.0ppm

Edited to add brand of test kit, just in case it matters  ;)

Offline jesnon

Re: Sue's fishless cycle
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 05:16:04 PM »
Sorry to hear about your poor Betta Sue.

Good luck with your cycle!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 06:13:12 PM »
Are you going to transfer some media from another tank (or do a filter squeeze) to speed things up?

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 06:53:18 PM »
No.

If I'm going to continue advising people on how to do a fishless cycle with no mature media, I've decided it's about time I did one myself.

I had no choice but do a fish-in cycle when I first got fish (or rather my sons did, fairground goldfish). We didn't have internet access back then so all I had to go by were some very out of date library books - no mention of fishless or even the best way to do fish-in. Once we had internet access and read everything I could on the subject, I finally found out what filters do.
Whenever I set up the QT, I just steal enough mature media that the tank is instantly cycled. I could do it this time and get a betta as soon as I find one, but I decided to do it the long way so I know what it's like.

I must not go into any shop that sells bettas though. If I do, I'm bound to find a betta to die for and give in and use a load of mature media  ;D

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 09:45:28 PM »
I am finally starting a fishless cycle  ;D
But...  Who's going to help you when have problems?

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 08:09:22 AM »
In that case I'm going to have to try and work things through for myself. But I'll then be in a much better position to understand the frustrations others go through  ;D

TigzFish

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 09:35:04 AM »
In that case I'm going to have to try and work things through for myself.

You do realize that will require a conversation with yourself in a mirror.  :o  (It's not weird as long as the reflection isn't giving back better answers  ;D )

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 11:03:35 AM »
I talk to the fish enough as it is, I'm going to have to start talking to bacteria. That would be even more worrying if I got an answer  :o

Fish conversations run something like - get out of the way you stupid fish can't you see I want to clean there, you can't eat the tube!
So bacteria conversations will be along the lines of - where are you hiding, you were there yesterday now my nitrite has gone up again!!

Or I can bore my husband and mother, moaning when things aren't going right  ;D

Offline ColinB

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 11:12:18 AM »
Fish conversations run something like - get out of the way you stupid fish can't you see I want to clean there, you can't eat the tube!

My main fish conversation is... "eeew, don't eat the poo!" :P ;D

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 03:05:34 PM »
Added 24 hour 'baseline' pH in the first post.

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 06:32:16 PM »
Day 2

Ammonia 1.0

No surprise there, I'm not expecting anything to happen for at least a couple of weeks.

Now I know what people mean about the API ammonia test being hard to read, and not just for the zero colour. The liquid in the tube was the same shade as the 1.0 colour but paler. It wasn't as green yellowy as the next shade down (0.5). Just as I was emptying the tube down the sink, I realised I should have taken the top off the tube and looked down through it, something I have to do with the KH tester as that changes colour when very dilute. I'll look down through the tube in future.

I also did the test a bit early as there was still some daylight left and I wanted to compare the shade of green in what was left of the daylight with under the fluorescent lights in the kitchen - they were the same. The zero colour always looks pure yellow without a hint of green under the kitchen lights, maybe I'm just lucky.

Edited for use of wrong word  :-[

Offline ColinB

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 06:34:00 PM »
Wow - 'Hero Member'. I am not worthy ;D ;D ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 06:47:04 PM »
Ooooh, I wondered if my status would change when I hit 500 posts. Now I know  ;D

So:
0 to 50 = newbie
50 to 100 = junior member
100 - ? = full member
? to 500 = senior member
500 - ? = hero member

Anyone know the full/senior boundary?

I wonder what, if anything, comes after hero, and what the post count is for the next level. I'll have to keep posting and find out  ;D

TigzFish

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 07:01:26 PM »
I wonder what, if anything, comes after hero

I reckon Super Hero and then Leg End  ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 08:51:24 AM »
Day 3 (13 March)
Ammonia 1.0

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 08:43:03 PM »
Day 4 (14 march)

Ammonia 1.0

Offline Resa

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 09:14:53 PM »
Dear Hero!!!
My, what an impressive title!
I have just stumbled on your new post, Sue, and I will follow it with great interest.  Good on you for deciding to do your tank the long-winded way, I'm well impressed with your patience!
I was sorry to hear that your betta didn't recover.  By the way, I have seen a few times from people that they have had to euthanase(?) their fish....what do you do? I hope never to have to do it but I realise that's pretty unrealistic of me.
Anyway, good luck with your cycling. If you get stuck, I'd give that Sue on ThinkFish's forum a shout...she seems to know what she's talking about ;D

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 08:43:24 AM »
I thought it was about time I actually did a fishless cycle so I know what it feels like. I'm helped by the fact I still have two tanks running so it's not like I'm staring at just one, empty tank. The only danger is if I go in a shop that has a drop dead gorgeous betta in stock. I can well imagine I'd be bringing him home, emptying the ammonia-laden water and stealing some media from one of the other tanks  ;D

Have you seen my other thread on the betta? I think now it was lymphocystis, it was just his extra thick scaling that stopped it looking white. (Dragon bettas are characterised by this extra thick scaling). The lump did get a white-ish colour on top every few weeks, then last weekend it burst open and was horrible. There is no cure for lymphocystis. The lump was getting bigger and bigger and was touching the top of his gill towards the end. And he'd also started growing several more lumps. What would he have been like when they grew to the same size as the first? But it was his change in behaviour that convinced me the time had come. From an energetic fish that swam up every time he saw a human and begged for food, he was lying in a plant with his fins clamped up and it took him a while to realise there was food in the tank.

Euthanasia, should you ever need it -

For very tiny fish no more than a couple of cm long, you can use the icey water method. Put a tub of water in the freezer and when ice starts to form on top break the ice and drop the fish in. Never put the fish in a tub of water and then into the freezer as that takes a long time and the fish will suffer.

For all fish, especially larger ones, use clove oil. In the UK it is sold in pharmacies in small bottles - it's an old toothache remedy. Put the fish in a tub of tank water. Put 25 to 30 drops of clove oil in a screw top bottle, add some cold water and shake till the oil emusifies. Then pour the oil/water mix into the tub with the fish. Clove oil is a fish anaesthetic, and used in overdose like this it kills the fish. But first it knocks them out so leave them in the clove oil for a couple of hours to make sure they really are dead before disposing of the body.
Clove oils stinks; you won't be able to use the tub or bottle for anything else afterwards. And if you get it on your skin, it takes ages to wash out. I use rubber gloves.

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 07:44:49 PM »
Day 5 15 March

Ammonia 1.0

Offline Sue

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 07:04:23 PM »
Day 6 March 16

The first thing to say in tonight's update is that I know tests can be misleading.
The ammonia test can give inaccurate results under fluorescent lights, though they usually make the liquid look greener than it really is, ie the ammonia reading higher than it really is.
And the niitrate tester is the least accurate. It is difficult to make an accurate tester for use in the home.

I did the ammonia test, and because of the result, tested for nitrite. Then for nitrate.

Ammonia 0.5 (it was 1.0 yesterday)
Nitrite zero
Nitrate 10 (baseline nitrate was 5)

My ammonia level would appear to have dropped. But the nitrite tube was bright blue, not a hint of purple, ie zero. So I checked nitrate and it's gone up.

Or so it would appear.

I will not believe these results unless I see ammonia at zero and nitrate even higher. I am aware that once every blue moon a cycle occurs with no nitrite showing but I will not believe this is happening here without more evidence. One set of readings is not enough. I've seen enough progression graphs with one set of readings way off the line, and biological ones are worse than chemical ones for that.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Sue's fishless cycle"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post September 26, 2016, 12:28:04 PM
by Paddyc
63 Replies
Last post March 22, 2017, 12:04:28 PM
by sjames
18 Replies
Last post September 06, 2017, 07:13:55 PM
by Dr Um
12 Replies
Last post September 06, 2017, 01:22:34 PM
by Dr Um
70 Replies
Last post September 11, 2018, 10:49:54 AM
by Sue
119 Replies
Last post November 10, 2018, 07:46:58 PM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2021, 08:49:43 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: