Sue's Fishless Cycle

Author Topic: Sue's fishless cycle  (Read 42696 times) 172 replies

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Sue's fishless cycle
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2013, 03:33:23 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Oh Sue...you poor thing!  You see...this is what happens when you go out and leave the forum ;D  safest thing is if you just stay logged on and by the computer in case any of us need you ;D
Seriously though, are you ok?  You'll probably feel even worse tomorrow, don't mean to be pessimistic, but aches and bruising seem to come out on me a few days later when I hurl myself to the floor like that!  I used to fairly regularly fall down the stairs at our old house in the UK and I swear, I could trip over fresh air :D
You'll have to make sure that hubby pampers you for a few days....at least some nice flowers.......or even 'better'....a nice betta ;D

Resa

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2013, 03:47:07 PM »
.... or a nice bottle of red to help ease the aches and pains. You poor thing!

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2013, 03:54:31 PM »
The trouble is he's so used to me falling over he gets cross now. I usually do it the day before something important. I took the skin off my knee when I fell over in the street a couple of days before our youngest's graduation so had to wear something below the knee. I rushed indoors to answer the phone and fell over the doorstep two days before the older one's engagement party. I caught my toe on the lip of the greenhouse and fell out the day before his halloween party - though the cut knee and bruises looked the part for that one. I was warned I was not under any circumstances to damage myself before the elder one's wedding, and somehow succeeded.
I do such silly things too. While decorating, I climbed off the stool to paint the next strip of wall and stuck my foot in the tub of paint. I've shut the car boot door on my head. Nearly dislocated my middle finger a couple of weeks ago when I caught it on the bottom of the wall cupboard reaching up for a mug - that still hurts. I fell off the stool I was using to put something in the attic. Correction, I didn't fall off it, it tilted under me and tipped me off.

You can see why my husband gets impatient with me.

And yet - I'm quite happy up ladders, never even threatened to fall off one. And decorating the landing standing on a narrow plank supported on two ladders is no problem. It's ground level or nearly ground level I have problems with. I'm sure a psychlologist would have a wonderful time studying me  ;D

Colin - I treated myself to the bottle of red  ;D

Offline ColinB

« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2013, 04:09:52 PM »
While decorating, I climbed off the stool to paint the next strip of wall and stuck my foot in the tub of paint.

Colin - I treated myself to the bottle of red  ;D

Classic! ;D

I'm glad about the red.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2013, 04:25:14 PM »
mmmm.....falling over?........bottle of red?......coincidence?   ;D

Resa

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2013, 05:00:47 PM »
I think you're on to something there, Resa.

It's a sad, sad state of affairs. *sigh*  ;D

Offline Resa

« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2013, 05:34:01 PM »
Youngsters, eh?  Just can't hold their drink.....

Offline Sue

« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2013, 06:34:21 PM »
That is just cruel Colin. I told you my ribs hurt........... ;D

Offline jesnon

« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2013, 11:21:24 PM »
Ahh Sue - hope you're feeling better now after a deserved bottle of red! Sounds like you're clumsier than me and that's saying something!!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2013, 09:35:23 AM »
Day 17   27 March

Ammonia zero
Nitrite 2.0

Ammomia added to give -
Ammonia between 0.5 and 1.0

I think clumsiness runs in the family. My aunt is renowned for falling over things and we used to say my youngest could trip over a twig when he was outside. Though he has grown out of it.
It's just my ribs that hurt today. Since the pain only started the day after I fell and when I was pulling up a zip on my mother's boot, I assume I've got intercostal cramp, brought on by falling then the pulling action. If I'd broken something it would have hurt from the moment I fell.
I did manage a water change on the 25 litre yesterday, but that's easy. Because the tapwater is so cold at the moment and I don't want to risk shocking my new bacteria, I've been warming the new water to the tank temp of 30 deg using a kettle. It takes one kettleful (1.5 litres) of boiling water made up to 5 litres with cold to get the right temp (the bucket has measurements on the inside), so I only have to lift 5 litres at once. But my 125 litre is overdue a water change and I can't face that at the moment.

And no, asking hubby is not an option. Even if he was willing, I wouldn't trust anyone else with my tanks now I have sand in them  ;D

Offline Resa

« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2013, 11:57:48 AM »
Morning Sue,

Ribs always seem to take so long to heal, don't they?  Hopefully, you'll feel a bit better by tomorrow.

I always warm my new water to the tank temperature by heating it 2 litres at a time in the microwave....I hope this is ok. I don't use the kettle as it always has so much scale in it.  The 2L is quite a good amount as it is simple to administer the right amount of dechlorinator...and also to carry and pour the jug back in to the tank...as I too, am prone to clumsiness :)  Not much use I admit if you have a huge tank!
It must have been water change day yesterday as that is what I was doing too.

One of my little guppies (the one with the chunk out of his tail...courtesy of the guppy bully!) has been getting me at it!  He knows I'm frantic about any more fish dying and keeps hiding (I hope he is alright).  This morning I thought he was dead as he was very still near one of the rocks, but when I gave them their breakfast, he lost no time in swimming up for his share...little devil :)

Resa
   :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2013, 12:44:01 PM »
The microwave is fine, anything to get the water to the right temp.

I don't bother getting the temp spot on for the tanks with fish. If the refill water is a bit cooler, by the time it's mixed in with the water left in the tank the temp doesn't drop more than a degree or two. I'm just getting it spot on with the cycling tank as I'm doing 100% water changes and don't want to do anything that'll hurt the new bacteria.

Offline Sue

« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2013, 09:41:37 AM »
Day 18   28 March

Ammonia 0
Nitrite between 2 and 5

Ammonia added to give a reading between 0.5 and 1.0

Offline Sue

« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2013, 01:06:31 PM »
Day 19  29 March

Ammonia 0
Nitrite over 5

95% water change, ammonia added.
Didn't test ammonia half an hour after adding as husband wanted to go to Asda. But I added the same amount as every other time.

I though the nitrite would be off the top of the scale as the tube went purple while I was still shaking it. I've added 3 lots of ammonia since the last water change, somewhere between 1.5 and 3ppm-worth. That will make between 4 and 8pmm nitrite.

Offline Resa

« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2013, 01:14:28 PM »
Asda?  Had you synchronised with Colin for this excursion ;D ;D ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2013, 11:39:18 AM »
Day 20  30 March

Ammonia 0
Nitrite ~2

Ammonia added, same volume again.

Didn't check ammonia after adding as the bottles are getting low. They were half used when I started this fishless cycle.

Offline Sue

« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2013, 11:38:10 AM »
Day 21  31 March

Didn't test for ammonia
Nitrite over 5.

Water change, added the usual dose of ammonia.

When I say water change, I mean as much as I can get out. That's do-able on a regular basis with 25 litres.

Offline Sue

« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2013, 01:29:36 PM »
Day 22  1 April

Nitrite 2
Didn't test for ammonia

Offline Sue

« Reply #98 on: April 02, 2013, 08:10:39 AM »
Day 23  2 April
Didn't test ammonia
Nitrite over 5
Edit - forgot to say I added ammonia.

Quick summary - ammonia dropped on day 13 and was zero on day 14 (ie 12 and 13 days after adding the first ammonia). 10 days after ammonia satrted to fall and nitrite is showing no signs of dropping yet.

Offline Sue

« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2013, 10:29:46 AM »
Day 24, 3 April

Didn't test ammonia
Nitrite over 5

Water changed, ammonia added.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Sue's fishless cycle"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post September 26, 2016, 12:28:04 PM
by Paddyc
63 Replies
Last post March 22, 2017, 12:04:28 PM
by sjames
18 Replies
Last post September 06, 2017, 07:13:55 PM
by Dr Um
12 Replies
Last post September 06, 2017, 01:22:34 PM
by Dr Um
70 Replies
Last post September 11, 2018, 10:49:54 AM
by Sue
119 Replies
Last post November 10, 2018, 07:46:58 PM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2021, 08:49:43 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: