Sue's Fishless Cycle

Author Topic: Sue's fishless cycle  (Read 42664 times) 172 replies

Offline chrisp

• Fishy Member
Re: Sue's fishless cycle
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2013, 07:38:58 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
thanks sue, i think il try to keep it at 0.5 if i can, i dont mind it taking a little longer as long as i can keep the water changes to a minimun. i just dont want the cycle stalling with such high levels of nitrite/nitrate (is that a possibility?). i'll do a big water change at the end.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Panda Cory (5) - Neon Tetra (10) - Platy (10) - Japonica Shrimp (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2013, 08:37:44 PM »
Generally speaking, the thing that stalls cycles, as opposed to just slowing them down like high nitrite/nitrate, is a pH crash. Nitrite and nitrate are both acidic and if there is low KH the pH can drop suddenly. Didn't you say your water company's stats show you have low hardness? In that case, you'll most likely also have low KH, so keep a close eye on your pH if your nitrite and/or nitrate build up. Ammonia is basic, it'll push your pH up a bit but since there will be a lot more nitrite/nitrate than ammonia the overall effect will be a lot of acid.

If you do find your pH dropping (and 6.5 is the lowest you should let it get before you take action) you can use sodium bicarbonate aka bicarbonate of soda from the home baking section in the supermarket. It is perfectly acceptable to use it during fishless cycling to increase KH and pH, but not when you have fish because of all that sodium. If you do need to use it, you'll remove it all with the pre-fish-shopping water change. If you need it, just ask and I'll tell you the dosage  ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2013, 09:22:41 AM »
Day 15   25 March

Ammonia zero
Nitrite 0.5

No water change; ammonia added to give 0.5

I haven't tested for nitrate. At the levels I'm using any change in nitrate would be too smalll for the tester to measure.

Offline chrisp

• Fishy Member
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2013, 11:54:48 AM »
Ok, will keep an eye on that

Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Panda Cory (5) - Neon Tetra (10) - Platy (10) - Japonica Shrimp (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2013, 08:42:32 AM »
Day 16   26 March

Ammonia zero
Nitrite between 2 and 5

Have to go out so will do a water change when I get back and redose ammonia.

Edit - water change done and ammonia added. Post dose measurements:
Ammonia between 0.5 and 1.0
Nitrite zero

Offline Resa

« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2013, 10:17:57 AM »
YOU CAN'T GO OUT!!! :)
Colin isn't online either.  Can you both please work on a rota system???  It's scary being left on our own.....especially when something goes horribly wrong!

Hope you're back soon....

Resa

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2013, 11:30:11 AM »
I'm back now  ;D - I've read your other post, Colin's said everything I would have.

Maybe we should arrange for Colin to be around on Tuesday mornings as that's my regular time for going out   ;D I do go out other times as well but nothing regular like this.

It occurs to me that I'm always logged in - do I show as being on-line even when my computer is off?

Offline ColinB

« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2013, 11:40:59 AM »
mmmm... as you can only tell you're logged in when you're actually logged in, and we've no-way of knowing if your computer is on or off, etc. etc., this one might be a bit difficult. ;D

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2013, 11:45:25 AM »
I don't know....I don't know when your computer is off ;D
Yes, I think you and Colin should definitely liase and NEVER be off together....a bit like the Royal family never all being on the same aircraft ;D ;D ;D
Us newbies are inclined to panic and go in to meltdown.....well, I am!
I have told my son I am having a national day of mourning and a 1 minute silence at 12 noon GMT.
Please keep your fingers crossed that it was 'one of those things' and that my other fishies will be ok.

Thanks for getting back to me....

Resa

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

TigzFish

« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2013, 11:54:18 AM »
It occurs to me that I'm always logged in - do I show as being on-line even when my computer is off?

If you don't push the 'logout' link on the forum, and simply close your browser, it will still show you as being logged in to the forum.  After a period of time (depending on the settings of the forum software) the 'session' will timeout and your name removed.  This is the nature of things in forum software land.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2013, 12:09:57 PM »
That might explain why the stats page (link) says I've been on here for 1d 23h 39m in total, I never push the log-out button.

p.s. Where are the other 12,500 members???

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2013, 12:14:37 PM »
'Logout' link???  I've only just mastered turning the computer on!  ;D

Offline Resa

« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2013, 12:16:08 PM »
All down the fish shops!!!  ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2013, 12:21:37 PM »
I got in the habit of not logging out with the old forum. That had a bad habit of logging you out halfway through typing something. I managed to find a way of keeping me logged in all the time I was on the forum, so I was too scared to log out again  ;D It's the only site I don't log out of when I leave.

Since it seems I've been on-line on for 4 days 18 hours and 6 mins, and I haven't logged out since the new forum became active, presumably I do show as offline when I'm not actually here. You'll all have to check next Tues  ;D

Offline Resa

« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2013, 12:53:00 PM »
Ok...we'll synchronise watches ;D
Now though, I'm curious....(all right, nosey!)  what happens on Tuesdays?  Is it?

a. Your SPA morning.
b. The weekly meeting with your accountant to discuss your lottery win investments.
c. An audience with the Queen.
d. Your meeting with the P.M. to discuss the future of the economy.
e. None of the above.
               ;D ;D ;D

Resa

Offline Sue

« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2013, 01:16:17 PM »
e.

It's nothing as spectacular as your suggestions, I'm afraid. My mother has lived with us for two years. She has such bad arthritis she can't manage alone. She has a wash and set on Tuesday mornings. I don't drive so we get a taxi down into town, Mum goes to the hairdresser and I do a load of shopping, then we get a taxi home. It saves me having to stagger all the way home with a load of shopping  ;D She has the same appointment time every week.

Offline Resa

« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2013, 01:47:38 PM »
Gosh...that's a busy morning for you!  Hope you've put your feet up with a nice cuppa by now :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2013, 02:32:37 PM »
I had to do a water change when I got back  ;D Just remembered to update today's readings post.

Actually, I'm sitting round feeling sorry for myself today, you've been helping cheer me up. Coming back from the local shop yesterday I stubbed my toe on something crossing the open space in our estate and fell flat on my face. The visible damage is a bruised chin and a split lip where I bit it. You can't see my bruised knees through trousers, or the torn muscle/ligament/whatever right at the top of the back of my leg where it hurts to sit down. Then this morning I was zipping my mother's boots to go out (she can't reach her feet) and something went ping in a muscle in my ribcage. It can't be a broken rib or I would have felt it yesterday, probably a muscle I half damaged and finished the job this morning  ;D

Yes, I am that clumsy  ;D

Offline chrisp

• Fishy Member
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2013, 02:43:53 PM »
Sounds nasty sue, hope u ok

Offline Sue

« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2013, 02:50:01 PM »
With painkillers it isn't too bad. I still managed the water change.

At least the bruise is under my chin, you can't see it unless I look up. Now if we'd had any snow at all in this part of the country I would have landed in a snowdrift. It's just my luck that at a time where the vast majority of the UK is knee deep or worse in snow, we've not had anything worth speaking of - certainly nothing that's stuck. I hit pure hard tarmac  ;D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Sue's fishless cycle"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post September 26, 2016, 12:28:04 PM
by Paddyc
63 Replies
Last post March 22, 2017, 12:04:28 PM
by sjames
18 Replies
Last post September 06, 2017, 07:13:55 PM
by Dr Um
12 Replies
Last post September 06, 2017, 01:22:34 PM
by Dr Um
70 Replies
Last post September 11, 2018, 10:49:54 AM
by Sue
119 Replies
Last post November 10, 2018, 07:46:58 PM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2021, 08:49:43 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: