• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Sue's fishless cycle
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 07:19:12 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Day 7  17 March

Ammonia 0.5
Nitrite 0
Nitrate between 5 and 10

Possible explanations for yesterday's odd readings.

I hadn't done a nitrate test for ages. Did I fail to shake bottle 2 enough when I did the baseline test, and therefore got a reading lower than it should have been? Then when I tested yesterday, having been shaken on day 1 and day 6, the reagents were more thoroughly mixed and gave a truer reading.

I am working with a much lower than usual dose of ammonia as a single betta in 25 litres will only make a smal amount of ammonia. When dosing to 4 ppm, it is very difficult to tell the difference between 4 and 3ppm (the colours at this level are 2, 4 and 8ppm) so a small decrease in ammonia isn't noticeable. But at low levels the colours are 0.25, 0.5, 1.0ppm so a small decrease is more obvious. Am I just seeing evaporation of ammonia?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 02:05:52 PM »
Day 8   18 March

I had been testing the tank after dinner, about 7pm-ish, under the fluoescent lights in the kitchen. I've decided to test in the morning instead during daylight to see if that made a difference. I couldn't test this morning as I've been out and only got back at lunchtime, so I tested a few minutes ago.

Ammonia 1.0

It looks like the kitchen lights were the problem. I added the ammonia during the afternoon and the first few tests were squeezed in when there was just enough daylight to see by. From now on, I'll test straight after breakfast and by the time I need to do 12 hour tests, the hour will have gone on so it'll be light after dinner.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 02:46:21 PM »
Could you test by the (simulated daylight) light of one of your tanks then it's always a constant? You could test a known zero for NH3 by the same light to get a benchmark. It's perhaps not so much the quality of the light as the consistency of it that's important?

Just a thought.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 02:58:35 PM »
I get zero for ammonia and nitrite in my other two tanks under all lighting conditions. I've always found that strange as so many people complain about the API ammonia test never showing zero, ever. Apart from this tank which is cycling, I've always had pure yellow, not the tiniest hint of green for my tanks.
Maybe it's my eyes that are peculiar  ;D That's not a stupid as it sounds as I've been using eye drops for the last 7 weeks which I'll have to use for the rest of my life (latanoprost) The leaflet with them lists a whole load of possible side effects but it doesn't mention a change in colour vision though it says they can turn blue eyes brown  :o

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 03:15:50 PM »
It looks like the kitchen lights were the problem. I added the ammonia during the afternoon and the first few tests were squeezed in when there was just enough daylight to see by. From now on, I'll test straight after breakfast and by the time I need to do 12 hour tests, the hour will have gone on so it'll be light after dinner.

There's a really good article on here that mentions this very problem!  Have a look it may help you  ;D ;D ;D ;)

If you have bought the API liquid testers, there are two quirks to be aware of.
Firstly, the ammonia test shows yellow for zero ammonia, then turns green as the ammonia level increases. Fluorescent lights, including energy saving bulbs, emit a greenish tinge to the light, and this can make the colour in the test tube look greener than it really is. Whenever practical, it is better to read the test in natural daylight or under an old fashioned light bulb.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2013, 04:07:10 PM »
The trouble is my ammonia results were the wrong way round. Instead of looking greener ie reading higher than the true level, the ammonia test was looking yellower ie lower than it really was.

The downstairs loo, bathroom and en suite still have incandescent bulbs, while the kitchen and landing have fluorescent tubes (circular ones), our bedroom has a halogen bulb and everywhere else has energy saving bulbs. Maybe I should go into the downstairs loo tonight and see what colour it looks in there  ;D

Whatever the real level of ammonia is, it's still abve zero and there's no nitrite yet. This is one reason for doing a fishless cycle instead of using mature media. This way I get to know some of the problems newcomers have with cycling this way.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2013, 05:11:26 PM »
Actually my API ammonia test NEVER really looks the full yellow colour. It's always a slightly off yellowy colour no matter what colour and even on my tapwater. I have no idea why! It's obviously at 0 though as it's not green enough to be 0.25ppm

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2013, 06:02:38 PM »
Same here.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2013, 06:47:45 PM »
What you read time and time again is that it is very difficult to get the pure yellow which represents zero, and that fluorescent lights, including energy saving bulbs, make the liquid look greener than it really, ie it makes the ammonia level look higher than it really is.
I have never had any problems seeing the pure yellow in all lighting conditions.

I have just done some research. I've done another ammonia test now that daylight is so dim we've had to draw the curtains. I've looked at the colour under 4 different lights. Remember that at lunchtime in full daylight it was 1.0 - or to be precise, a tiny bit yellower than 1.0 but far greener than 0.5, so I called it 1.0.

Tonight's results:
Fluorescent tube - 0.5
Energy saving bulbs - 0.5
Incandescent bulb - 1.0 (same as daylight)
Halogen bulb - 1.0 (same as daylight) [that's the kind of halogen bulb that's the same shape as an incandescent bulb]

My ammonia isn't dropping at all, it just looks like it when I read the test in the kitchen in the evening. I'm going to change to doing the 24 hour testing after breakfast. The hour goes on in 2 weeks, which means it will be daylight later in the evening. This will make 12 hour testing more reliable when I finally get to that stage.

Can anyone explain why my flourescent lights of both types make the liquid look YELLOWER than it really is? That's the opposite of everything I've ever read  :-\

Offline chrisp

• Fishy Member
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2013, 08:33:12 PM »
i today just started my fishless cycle. im using 'kleen off household ammonia'. i added 30 drops to my 150litre tank and using the api tester it give a reading of 4+ppm.
my water temp is 25c and rising slowely (im getting used to my heater. il be aimimg for 30c)
 ive been reading this thread and seen sues results so i wont be testing daily untill about a weeks time.
once my ammonia level drops down to 1 or less (when it eventually goes down) il prob top my tank up with another 20 drops to put it back to or close to 4ppm

(using this thread as a guide. im 8days behind lol.)

dont mind me also posting my results?

i finally had my gravel and backgrounds and i set up my air stone & curtain wall and now my tank is looking MINT. il have to get a pic up soon  ;)

Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Panda Cory (5) - Neon Tetra (10) - Platy (10) - Japonica Shrimp (4) -

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2013, 11:55:01 PM »
Tonight's results:
Fluorescent tube - 0.5
Energy saving bulbs - 0.5
Incandescent bulb - 1.0 (same as daylight)
Halogen bulb - 1.0 (same as daylight) [that's the kind of halogen bulb that's the same shape as an incandescent bulb]

Can anyone explain why my fluorescent lights of both types make the liquid look YELLOWER than it really is? That's the opposite of everything I've ever read  :-\

Although the colour temperatures of all of these bulbs is nominally similar, and by the way none of them are daylight bulbs, the actual contents of the spectra are different.  This is due to the differences in the technologies that actually produce the light.

The spectra for an incandescent bulb is defined by a bell curve.  It's a smooth continuous curve shaped like a bell! [surprise!]

However, the same spectra for a fluorescent tube is made up of a number of spikes at different frequencies; So some colours are over-represented and some colours are absent altogether; It depends on the mixture of chemicals used in the manufacture of the tube.  The curves that may be published just average all these out into a smooth curve.

My guess is that the 2700K tubes that are pretty standard household bulbs have a spike in the yellow!

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2013, 07:49:30 AM »
i today just started my fishless cycle. im using 'kleen off household ammonia'. i added 30 drops to my 150litre tank and using the api tester it give a reading of 4+ppm.
my water temp is 25c and rising slowely (im getting used to my heater. il be aimimg for 30c)
 ive been reading this thread and seen sues results so i wont be testing daily untill about a weeks time.
once my ammonia level drops down to 1 or less (when it eventually goes down) il prob top my tank up with another 20 drops to put it back to or close to 4ppm

(using this thread as a guide. im 8days behind lol.)

dont mind me also posting my results?

i finally had my gravel and backgrounds and i set up my air stone & curtain wall and now my tank is looking MINT. il have to get a pic up soon  ;)

Hi Chris.

I used Kleen-Off household ammonia too for my fishless cycling, but I got different concentration results to yours and 4+ is a difficult colour to distinguish accurately. Try adding one drop to a 10litre bucket and testing that. I was getting 0.25ppm at that concentration. Then add another drop and test; then another two drops and test; and then take an average. I'd be interested to see the results as I was very new to all this when I did my cycling so there's every chance I was wrong.

Any reason you're heading for 30oC ? There're very few fish who like it that warm - I can only think of Discuss off the top of my head and they're meant to be a difficult fish for a first-timer.

Offline Sue

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2013, 08:33:03 AM »
Thank's for that Steve. Lesson learned, I'll use daylight from now on!

Colin - 30oC is recommended for fishless cycling as the bacteria like it that high and grow faster. At the big water change at the end of the cycle, we turn the heater to the setting the fish need. Mine is at 30o as well.

Chris - I'm using Kleen Off as well, but a rather old bottle so a lot of the ammonia has evaporated which is why I haven't mentioned the number of drops as I will have used more than someone with a new bottle will need.
I've chosen 1ppm as there will only be 1 betta in the tank which will need less than 4ppm-worth of ammonia, probably less than 2ppm-worth. And starting with 1ppm rather than 2 means I'll have less nitrite. Once both are dropping to zero, I'll increase the ammonia dose to 2ppm.

Day 9 19 March - 8.15am in daylight

Ammonia 1.0

Offline Sue

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2013, 08:37:19 AM »
Chris - can I suggest posting your results in a new thread titled 'chrisp's fishless cycle' or something similar? The only reason is that it might get a bit confusing having 2 people posting results in the same thread and while we'd know which was which, others might get our readings mixed up.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2013, 08:40:46 AM »
Colin - 30oC is recommended for fishless cycling as the bacteria like it that high and grow faster. At the big water change at the end of the cycle, we turn the heater to the setting the fish need. Mine is at 30o as well.

Ah - that makes sense. I read that as aiming to keep the tank at 30o for the fish, not just for the cycling process.

Offline chrisp

• Fishy Member
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2013, 10:01:49 AM »
Chris - can I suggest posting your results in a new thread titled 'chrisp's fishless cycle' or something similar? The only reason is that it might get a bit confusing having 2 people posting results in the same thread and while we'd know which was which, others might get our readings mixed up.

Yes no probs sue.

Still after 9 days your ammonia level is staying the same. I'm sure my cycle will be Alot similar to yours but it's taking longer than I thought. What if I added some gravel from a matured tank and put it in the first slot of both my filters? Would this speed the process up? I know u said filter media in another thread but I can only get gravel?

Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Panda Cory (5) - Neon Tetra (10) - Platy (10) - Japonica Shrimp (4) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2013, 11:26:05 AM »
The vast majority of the bacteria live in the filter, but they do grow in the biofilm on every surface in the tank. Gravel would have some bacteria, though not enough to drastically shorten the cycle. There should be enough to start it though especially if you put it in the filter where the water first enters, as you suggest. As you can see from my attempt, it's getting the bacteria started that's the slow bit  :(

Offline chrisp

• Fishy Member
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2013, 10:56:10 PM »
colinb - you said "I got different concentration results to yours and 4+ is a difficult colour to distinguish accurately. Try adding one drop to a 10litre bucket and testing that. I was getting 0.25ppm at that concentration. Then add another drop and test; then another two drops and test; and then take an average. I'd be interested to see the results as I was very new to all this when I did my cycling so there's every chance I was wrong."

ive got the api master kit and i find 8 drops from 1 bottle is a bit much tbh. i kind of want to limit my tests untill i really need to. im sure wen im going through my cycle il be counting the number of drops i use then testing so il get some sort of average sooner or later.

sue- bit dull me starting off at 4+, when i should be starting off lower. can i just wait for it to drop below 1 and then top it back to 1 and then top it up higher towards the end?

il be creating my own cycle thread soon exactly like this and from what ive read in other cycle threads im going to need a lot of help lol  ;)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2013, 07:38:47 AM »
sue- bit dull me starting off at 4+, when i should be starting off lower. can i just wait for it to drop below 1 and then top it back to 1 and then top it up higher towards the end?

You could do a 75% water change to bring it down to around 1ppm.

Offline Sue

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2013, 08:23:26 AM »
Chris - if you don't feel like doing a water change, just leave it at 4ppm. When the reading drops to zero, add enough ammonia to get 2ppm at most. It now looks as though high levels of nitrite and then nitrate can inhibit the nitrite eating bacteria so nitrite should be kept somewhere on the scale, and the tester only goes up to 5ppm nitrite with the API one. Once the 5ppm colour is reached, the actual level could be 5 or anything higher than that, the tester just can't read anything higher than its max. And of course 1ppm ammonia is turned into 2.7ppm nitrate so once ammonia starts to disappear nitrite gets high pretty quickly. Once the nitrite eaters are clearing nitrite to zero, then the amount of ammonia added is increased in stages back up to 4 or 5ppm so that by the time the cycle has finished, the bacteria can clear 4/5ppm ammonia though to double zeros in 12 hours.
I'm now sounding like a water change is vital! Using 5ppm ammonia and dosing back up to 5ppm when it drops is the older way of fishless cycling. It did work, it's just thought that using less ammonia until the nitrite eaters grow is faster.

It is entirely up to you whether you do a water change to lower the amount of ammonia in your tank. As well as lowering the ammonia, doing a water change would help you learn how to handle the siphon without harming any fish  ;D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Sue's fishless cycle"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post September 26, 2016, 12:28:04 PM
by Paddyc
63 Replies
Last post March 22, 2017, 12:04:28 PM
by sjames
18 Replies
Last post September 06, 2017, 07:13:55 PM
by Dr Um
12 Replies
Last post September 06, 2017, 01:22:34 PM
by Dr Um
70 Replies
Last post September 11, 2018, 10:49:54 AM
by Sue
119 Replies
Last post November 10, 2018, 07:46:58 PM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2021, 08:49:43 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: