Sue's Fishless Cycle

Author Topic: Sue's fishless cycle  (Read 42699 times) 172 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Sue's fishless cycle
« Reply #120 on: April 11, 2013, 11:57:56 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I'm crossing my fingers too. I need to wait until I add ammonia in the morning and have zero ammonia and zero nitrite the next morning. Once I acheive that I'll increase the amount of ammonia I dose from the current just under 1ppm to 2ppm. That should grow more than enough bacteria for 1 betta in 25 litres. Then it'll be waiting till that new dosage can be cleared to double zeros in 12 hours. Then wait a week and start looking for a betta I like. Which could take a while as I'm picky  ;D

Offline jesnon

« Reply #121 on: April 11, 2013, 12:27:15 PM »
It's understandable to be picky when you've cycled a tank for one fishy - they've got to be the best! They are gorgeous fish though, I was surprised that Maidenhead had them in the last time I visited - though they were swimming in a tank with other fish. In the other LFS they were all in their own relatively small tanks waiting to be sold. Oh and they even had them in stock at Pets at Home! I guess there must have been a sudden burst of Bettas in the Bristol area or something! Have you got any particular betta you're after Sue? All signs are looking good so far, plenty of time for fish shopping!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #122 on: April 11, 2013, 12:47:37 PM »
I'm just looking for a fish that catches my eye.  Over the years I've had several bettas - crowntails, superdeltas, plakats - in various colours. I don't mind what he is so long as I like him. If I could have bought them when I saw them, I've seen a gorgeous pale blue double tail, a green bodied veiltail with orange fins and a pink betta with red spots. That's the kind of thing I go for rather than just plain red or blue. Something a bit unusual  ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #123 on: April 12, 2013, 08:36:41 AM »
Day 33  12 April

Nitrite almost zero.
Ammonia added.

Nearly there. I had a nitrite of 5+ on Monday, and did a 100% water change. It is now Friday, I haven't done a water change since Monday, I've been adding ammonia every morning and I have almost zero nitrite this morning - the colour of the nitrite test (API) isn't sky blue, it has a hint of purple; but it's nowhere near as purple as the 0.25 colour  ;D

Offline ColinB

« Reply #124 on: April 12, 2013, 08:52:10 AM »
Sod's Law will now come into play and you won't find a Betta you like for another six weeks or so! :)

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #125 on: April 12, 2013, 09:00:30 AM »
I'm expecting that. The ones I have seen recently have been quite boring. The alternative is buying by mail order, but the prices are huge and the postage alone is more than I would pay for a fish nowadays  ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2013, 01:09:19 PM »
Day 34  13 April

Zero nitrite!!!!!

(though it was 26 hours after I added ammonia not 24, it's Saturday and we had a lie in)

Added ammonia - but 25% more than usual. I didn't test for ammonia after it had mixed in as my husband wanted to go out.

I've never mentioned the actual volume of ammonia I'm adding because I bought it several years ago for the purpose of feeding the filter between bettas and it has evaporated over time. It is now less concentrated than a new bottle so I didn't want anyone using my dose amounts as a guideline. I was adding 0.4ml up to today and this morning I added 0.5ml.

Offline Sue

« Reply #127 on: April 14, 2013, 11:11:10 AM »
Day 34  14 April

Nitrite zero.

That's after adding a bit more ammonia than usual yesterday.

I had been adding 0.4ml to get a reading 20 mins later of between 0.5 and 1ppm. Yesterday I added 0.5ml, but didn''t have time to check the ppm before we went out. This morning I added 0.75ml, and after 30 mins had an ammonia of 1.0ppm. Obviously 0.4ml must have been nearer 0.5 than 1.0. So I added another 0.75ml, making a total for today of 1.5ml, and that's given me a reading of 2ppm after 20mins.

I am fully expecting to see readings above zero for both ammonia and nitrite tomorrow. Once the ammonia reading drops to zero after 24 hours, I will dose the same amount as today, redosing every time I get zero ammonia. Then it'll just be a question of waiting till both drop in 12 hours. I'm not going to start testing at 12 hours till I get double zeros at 24 hurs - not much ammonia reagents left  ;D

Because 1 betta in a 25 litre tank is somewhat understocked, I'm cycling this filter to remove 2ppm rather than the usual 4 to 5. That's understocked in terms of how many fish the tank can hold; in terms of how many fish can I keep with a male betta in a tank that size, the answer is that it would be fully stocked.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #128 on: April 14, 2013, 02:02:30 PM »
Looking good Sue! Hopefully you'll be betta shopping before you thought!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #129 on: April 15, 2013, 09:57:50 AM »
Day 36  15 April

Ammonia zero
Nitrite between 2 and 5

100% water change
Ammonia added to give reading of 1.0

Interesting. I was not expecting this  ;D Because the ammonia I added yesterday was 3 times more than I'd added the day before, I expected to see some ammonia this morning. It is said that these bacteria can double in 24 hours under optimum conditions (and my water is too soft for optimum), so I didn't think there was any chance of having enough to clear triple the amount of ammonia. I was wrong  ;D. And because I was expecting the ammonia eaters to only eat part of the ammonia I added, they would only make a bit more nitrite. With only a slight increase in nitrite made, I was expecting to see only a small amount of nitrite in the water not that 2 - 5ppm, which does confirm that the ammonia eaters got rid of ALL the ammonia and made a lot of nitrite.

This morning I have removed all the water from the tank (tilted it to get the last bit) so I can keep a better eye on what the nitrite eaters are doing. And I've dosed less ammonia. Up to Friday I was adding 0.4ml ammonia. Saturday I added 0.5ml, then yesterday I added 1.5ml. Today I've added 1.0ml, and I'll keep at that dose till I get double zeros in 24 hours, then increase to 1.5ml.
I just increased the dose too fast  ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #130 on: April 15, 2013, 11:29:55 AM »
It occurred to me while sitting in the dentist's waiting room, that I should have expected today's readings.

It is 23 days since I had a zero ammonia after 24 hours. Since then, they've still been multiplying. If I'd been testing for ammonia, I'd most likely have found that they could clear the 0.4ml dose in around 6 hours or less by now. So they should have no problem eating the 1.5ml dose in 24 hours.
But I've only just grown enough nitrite eaters to eat the nitrite made from 0.4ml ammonia in 24 hours. There aren't enough of them yet to cope with the nitrite made from 1.5ml ammonia.

I have a vision of the ammonia eaters, which are used to a diet of 0.4ml per day, rolling round the filter media clutching their stomachs after eating 3 - 4 times their normal diet in one day  ;D

Offline Resa

« Reply #131 on: April 15, 2013, 12:38:09 PM »
Little piggies ;D

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #132 on: April 15, 2013, 01:13:10 PM »
Haha hopefully the nitrite eaters will start getting a bigger appetite soon too!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #133 on: April 15, 2013, 07:13:46 PM »
Sue - I've just realised I've never seen any photos of your tanks! Fancy uploading some for us to have a nose at? :-D

Offline Sue

« Reply #134 on: April 15, 2013, 07:24:13 PM »
I've been meaning to take some photos for a while, I just haven't got round to it. Though you'll have to wait for the betta tank, all that's in there at the moment is a filter and heater - and water of course.

Offline Sue

« Reply #135 on: April 16, 2013, 08:39:16 AM »
Day 37  16 April
Nitrite 0
Ammonia not tested

Ammonia added

I added 1ml ammonia yesterday and this morning there was no nitrite. Today I added 1.2ml ammonia, a slight increase on yesterday.

I'll start testing regularly for ammonia soon, I don't want to waste the tester liquid as there isn't much left. I'd already used some of the kit checking whenever I get new fish, and you use more drops of the ammonia bottles compared to the nitrite one so they run out faster.

Offline Sue

« Reply #136 on: April 17, 2013, 12:15:04 PM »
Day 38  April 17
Nitrite 0
Ammonia added

I added 1.5ml ammonia today, slightly up on yesterday's 1.2ml. I couldn't test how many ppm that gave as I squeezed the test and ammonia addition in just before I had to go out (doctor's appointment at 8:40 so had to leave at 8:10  :o . I did think of changing it when the letter came but decided not to). Last time I added that amount it gave 2ppm which is my target level. If this clears by tomorrow morning, I'll start testing at 12 hours after adding a dose of ammonia as well as 24 hours.
Then it's just wait for a week of double zeros after 12 hours, and buy a betta.

Edit to add

Nitrite tested after 13 hours - 0.5ppm

Offline Sue

« Reply #137 on: April 18, 2013, 09:39:36 AM »
Day 39  18 April

Nitrite 0
1.5ml ammonia added
Ammonia reading after 30 mins - 2ppm

I tested nitrite after 13 hours yesterday, I've edited in into yesterday's post. I do my 24 hour tests and add ammonia just after my husband goes to work in the morning and I'd turned my computer off before yesterday evening's test.
As soon as I get double zeros after 12 hours, I'll just do the 12 hour tests. If they are zero after 12 hours, they'll also be zero after 24.
Of course I've got my blip coming up at the weekend. I'll add my ammonia on Sunday morning before we go then test and add ammonia on Tues afternoon when we get back, and start testing again Wed morning to see what's happened to the cycle. If everything is still OK, I'll be able to go betta hunting the following weekend.

12 hour results:
ammonia 0.25
nitrite 0.5

Offline Sue

« Reply #138 on: April 19, 2013, 09:53:21 AM »
Day 40  19 April

24 hour tests -
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40
pH 6.0 or below (lowest colour on chart)

100% water change
Bicarbonate of soda added to give KH 13 German degrees
Ammonia added, the amount that gives 2ppm (did not test to check this time)

This morning I decided to test for everything. It was 4 days since the last water change, and with the amount of ammonia I've been adding, the nitrate reading should have been about 30 - but this test is only ballpark so the reading of 40 is about right. I did not think I had added nearly enough ammonia to make enough nitrate to crash my pH even with my low KH but I was wrong  :-[ The pH was as low as the test can measure, so 6.0 or below  :o
That'll teach me for not taking my own advice to keep an eye on the pH  ;D

I need to prevent the pH crashing while I'm away and unable to do water changes so I added some bicarbonate of soda, enough to raise my KH from 3 to 13 German deg. And I'll be testing for pH as well as ammonia and nitrite as soon as we get back.

I also checked the pH of the other tanks as it's water change day, and they were both 7.4 thank goodness.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #139 on: April 19, 2013, 11:15:35 AM »
At least it doesn't appear to have caused any negative affects so far - looks like your cycle is going well, fingers crossed you don't have a blip like mine!

Out of interest - I've never actually tested my Kh... should I have bought a test to check this? :s

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Sue's fishless cycle"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post September 26, 2016, 12:28:04 PM
by Paddyc
63 Replies
Last post March 22, 2017, 12:04:28 PM
by sjames
18 Replies
Last post September 06, 2017, 07:13:55 PM
by Dr Um
12 Replies
Last post September 06, 2017, 01:22:34 PM
by Dr Um
70 Replies
Last post September 11, 2018, 10:49:54 AM
by Sue
119 Replies
Last post November 10, 2018, 07:46:58 PM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2021, 08:49:43 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: