• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Sue's fishless cycle
« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2013, 10:55:43 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Day 26, 5 April

Nitrite over 5.
Water changed
Added ammonia

I was hoping that this cycle would run smoothly from start to finish as a demo for someone just starting out. But I'm going to have a hiccup.

My father-in-law died on Wednesday. We live in Teesside (sandwiched between north Yorkshire and County Durham) and my in-laws live in south Wales. My brother-in-law lives in the same town as his father and is doing all the arrangements so we are only going down for the funeral itself. It will be a three day trip. I shouldn't really be worrying about a fish tank cycle at a time like this, but obviously I won't be able to continue the cycle as I'd hoped.
My husband wants to leave by lunchtime on the day before and we'll be back early afternoon the day after. My plan is:
Do a 100% water change the day before we leave.
Add the usual dose of ammonia first thing on the day we go, do no tests as there won't really be time and I don't want to seem as if I'm putting the tank first.
Add a dose of ammonia as soon as we get back, that will be two and a half days after the last dose.
Next day, test the water in the morning as I have been doing (but do ammonia as well this time), do a 100% water change if necessary, add the usual dose of ammonia and see what happens then.

The ammonia eaters will have been starved of their food, but there shouldn't be much die off. Unless there is a sudden spurt of growth of nitrite eaters before we go, there should be some nitrite in the water when we get back. Whether, and how, the cycle will be affected remains to be seen.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2013, 11:08:26 AM »
Really sorry to hear about your father-in-law Sue, hope you and your family are OK :-(

Sounds like a good idea as far as the cycle is concerned. Fishless cycling is quite an inconvenient thing, I had a few times where I had to starve the bacteria a bit because of working overnight. I'm sure it won't be too affected and none of us will judge you if you decide to borrow mature media rather than start again!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2013, 12:16:47 PM »
Sorry about that, Sue.

Could you, perhaps, throw a bit of food in before you go to let it break down a bit and provide some ammonia?

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2013, 12:19:25 PM »
Thanks, Jesnon.
My husband is coping well, better than I'd expected. He was really upset when his mother died 2 years ago. But he did not get on very well with his father - he says he loved him but had no affection for him. I'm just worried that it will hit him later.
And worrying about my 88 year old mother. She lives with us and will be on her own while we're away. She says she'll be OK, but that doesn't stop me worrying........

That thought had occurred to me Colin. But which is worse, the ammonia eaters going without for a couple of days, or feeding the ammonia eaters and risk the nitrite level getting too high.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2013, 12:56:57 PM »
That thought had occurred to me Colin. But which is worse, the ammonia eaters going without for a couple of days, or feeding the ammonia eaters and risk the nitrite level getting too high.

Remember Sue - you're doing this for research purposes and research means risk!! ;D ;D

It's always easy to say that about someone else's risk. ;)

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2013, 01:11:28 PM »
Yes, it's not as if it's my first tank and I'm desperate to get fish. I do have to others with fish in  ;D
I wanted to know what it's like doing a fishless cycle with no mature media (few newbies have access to that) or bottled bacteria (as a lot don't work). Newcomers will also have hiccups - like Jesnon with her job - so I'm hoping this will reassure them if things go OK for me  ;D

Offline jesnon

« Reply #107 on: April 05, 2013, 02:23:35 PM »
Glad everyone is coping well Sue - grief is always such a tricky thing to predict, especially where a parent is concerned.

Ha yes, I was hoping my cycle would be a nice example for people on the forum, but instead it might have put people off!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2013, 07:30:16 AM »
Hi Sue,

So sorry to read your news, I hope you and your husband are coping ok.  Sometimes, not being so close to someone who dies brings other emotions, I think.  Regrets and guilt have a habit of showing up.  Also, I think it changes things when a parent goes...sort of moves your positioning in life a bit further on.  Certainly I know it did for me when my dad died 24 years ago.
Like you, I have an elderly mother ( she will be 92 next month). I understand your concern for your mum while you are away.  Have you got good neighbours or a friend close by?

Like Colin, my first thought was, could you pop a bit of food in just before you leave or one of those holiday blocks as they might dissolve a bit slower.  What a shame if your cycle has a problem now.
Anyway, I wish you all the best and hope everything goes as well as it can....

Resa

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2013, 02:52:31 PM »
Day 27  6 April
Nitrite 2
Ammonia added

It is possible that by the time we go, the nitrite level will have started to fall, in which case I will definitely add a bit of fish food the day before we go (to allow it to start decomposing). If there's still no sign of a nitrite drop, I'll just add some ammonia just before we leave and some more as soon as we get back regardless of the time of day.

It is looking very likely the funeral won't be for another 9 days-ish. My brother-in-law is seeing the undertaker on Monday so we don't think he'll be able to arrange anything for next week.
I'm going to have a word with my across-the-road neighbour and ask if she'll have a door key in case my mother has a fall. Before she came to live with us, Mum carried a phone round with her all the time so she could ring for help in an emergency so she says she'll do that while we're away. My son and daughter-in-law who live a few miles away will be coming with us if d-in-l can get the time off work so they won't be able to come round to keep an eye on her. If d-in-l can't come, she'll pop in on her way home from work to make sure Mum's OK.
As my mother says, it's only a couple of days.

Offline Sue

« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2013, 11:03:44 AM »
Day 28  7 April

Nitrite between 2 and 5
Ammonia added.

Tested ammonia after 30 mins to make sure I am actually adding the right amount and it was between 0.5 and 1ppm, which is what I'm aiming for.

Started the cycle on day 1. Ammonia at zero on day 14, ie it took 13 days to drop to zero.
I first detected nitrite on day 13, it is now day 28, 15 days after first detecting nitrite, and there is no sign yet of it dropping. It looks as though it could be right that the nitrite eaters take about twice as long to grow as the ammonia eaters did.

Offline Sue

« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2013, 11:36:48 AM »
Day 29  8 April

Nitrite over 5

Water changed
Ammonia added

Offline Sue

« Reply #112 on: April 09, 2013, 09:01:04 AM »
Day 30  9 April

Ammonia zero
Nitrite 0.5

Ammonia added

I tested for nitrite straight after breakfast when I'm not really awake. When I saw the nitrite reading was lower than usual I thought I'd better check the ammonia to make sure something nasty hasn't happened to my ammonia eaters. By this time, I'd finished my cup of tea and was more awake. When I filled the tube with water, this time I realised it was not warm - I'd forgotten to plug the heater back in after yesterday's water change and the water was 21 deg instead of 30  :-[
The ammonia test came out at zero. But I'll wait another couple of days before I start celebrating the growth of some nitrite eaters.

I usually plug the filter back in as soon as there is enough water in the tank, but that level is still below the minimum mark on the heater so I have to completely fill the tank before turning the heater on. That's why I remembered to turn the filter on filter but forgot the heater.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #113 on: April 09, 2013, 12:12:28 PM »
Oh no! Fingers crossed your ammonia eaters are fine and you've also grown some nitrite eaters!

Offline Sue

« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2013, 03:07:48 PM »
Tomorrow and the day after will tell if I really am growing nitrite eaters.

Offline Sue

« Reply #115 on: April 10, 2013, 08:45:17 AM »
Day 31  10 April

Ammonia zero
Nitrite 0.5

Ammonia added.

It's looking hopeful. I added the amount of ammonia that gives between 0.5 and 1ppm ammonia and the nitrite reading has not increased.

It is beginning to look as though the cycle will be finished before my father-in-law's funeral. We were astonished yesterday when my brother-in-law finally had a date. The funeral in 22 April, 19 days after my father-in-law died :o . On Monday evening my husband jokingly said that the way things were going Margaret Thatcher would be buried before his father. We never expected he would be right.

Offline Resa

« Reply #116 on: April 10, 2013, 09:56:01 AM »
That's an awfully long time, Sue.  Why the delay?  Are they thatbusy?
I'm glad though, that your tank should be cycled in time....I forget, what are you going to put in this one?

Resa
  :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #117 on: April 10, 2013, 10:42:22 AM »
It'll be home for a betta. Just a betta (though maybe possibly also a nerite snail)

I have 2 identical 25 litre tanks. One is a betta tank, the other a quarantine tank. My last betta developed some rather suspicious lumps which looked very like lymphocystis, an infectious viral disease. I got so bad, and his behaviour changed so much, that I put him down. Normally when my bettas die (usually of old age) I just add ammonia to the tank to feed the filter bacteria till I can find another I like. This time I can't do that or the new betta would probably beome infected. So I sterilised the tank and everthing in it with bleach - including the filter. I threw away the media from the filter. While it was soaking I got out the quarantine tank and instead of stealing some media from one of my other tanks as I do when I use the QT I decided it was about time I actually did a fishless cycle for the first time in my life. How can I advise people on fishless cycling if I don't do one myself  ;D

It's easier for me to be patient as I do have 2 other tanks. I haven't used any media from one of them as newcomers to the hobby rarely have access to mature media. And I haven't used 'bottled bacteria' as I wanted to see how the cycle would progress with just ammonia and brand new media. The filter and heater haven't been used for a couple of years and were totally dry, as was the tank, so there is no chance of any bacteria surviving on the surfaces.

Basically, I wanted to see what a fishless cycle was like  ;D

We don't know what the problem is with my father-in-law's funeral. He died last Wednesday. My brother-in-law registered the death on Thursday and he made an appointment to see the undertaker on Monday. That's when he discovered 2 problems - because he will be buried in the same grave as my mother-in-law, there has to be paperwork from additional department to open an existing grave; and because the grave is in a council cemetery in a different council area from where they lived, it is more complicated to arrange. The next available dates were the end of next week - in the mornings. Brother-in-law wants an afternoon so that relatives can travel there and back in a day, and the next available afternoon is in almost 2 weeks.

It seems that a couple of deacades and more ago, everyone wanted morning funerals. Everyone lived locally and it gave the opportunity for a wake lasting the whole afternoon. Nowadays, family and friends are scattered wide. Everyone wants afternoon funerals so that mourners living some way away can travel there and back in one day. My husband's aunt and uncle in the midlands will be able to do this, for example. But it is a five hour drive for us, too long to be done in one day for people our age. We'll drive down the afternoon before and return home the morning after the funeral.
But even so, 19 days is a bit much. My mother-in-law died in January 2011. Her funeral was 11 days after her death, and that was delayed because bad weather caused a bit of a back log (difficult to dig graves when the ground is frozen solid they said). The wait is getting to my husband; he wants it sooner, but what can you do? We are too far away to arrange anything ourselves. We have to rely on my brother-in-law.

Offline Sue

« Reply #118 on: April 11, 2013, 08:55:49 AM »
Day 32  11 April

Nitrite between 0.25 and 0.5
Nitrate between 10 and 20
Ammonia added

Up to a couple of days ago, I was dosing ammonia in the morning to give about 1ppm or slightly under, and by the next morning it had all been processed to 2ppm nitrite. Out of curiosity, I tested for nitrite yesterday evening 10 hours after adding ammonia and got 2ppm. This morning (14 hours after last evening's test and 24 hours after adding ammonia) the nitrite reading has dropped to between the 0.25 and 0.5 colours.
And I'm getting increased nitrate. I tested for nitrate on day 26 (6 days ago) immediately after a water change and it was 5. Now it's between 10 and 20. This can't be taken as proof though as I did another water change on day 29 and it is always possible that there was more nitrate in my tapwater on that day. And by water change I mean as much as I can get out with a siphon tube - there's always about an eighth of an inch left in the bottom (no substrate, just the bare glass).

I definitely have some nitrite eaters  ;D

Offline jesnon

« Reply #119 on: April 11, 2013, 11:51:10 AM »
Wooh! Looking good Sue. Seems you've had a nice simple cycle so far, fingers crossed it stays like that!

Sorry to hear about the awful situation with the funeral too. I always find funerals to be a source of closure, so it can't be nice to be stuck in a limbo situation. Unfortunately we had a similar situation with my grandad as he died in December, and with the run up to Christmas it took a while to get a date organised

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Sue's fishless cycle"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post September 26, 2016, 12:28:04 PM
by Paddyc
63 Replies
Last post March 22, 2017, 12:04:28 PM
by sjames
18 Replies
Last post September 06, 2017, 07:13:55 PM
by Dr Um
12 Replies
Last post September 06, 2017, 01:22:34 PM
by Dr Um
70 Replies
Last post September 11, 2018, 10:49:54 AM
by Sue
119 Replies
Last post November 10, 2018, 07:46:58 PM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2021, 08:49:43 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: