Still Stuck, Stuck, Stuck, Stuck..........

Author Topic: Still stuck, stuck, stuck, stuck..........  (Read 31665 times) 154 replies

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
Still stuck, stuck, stuck, stuck..........
« on: October 03, 2014, 08:45:38 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
How many people give up before they start? or give in to fish cycling or go mental  :o. i've got tourrettes now and cry with frustration after each test is done. Day 26 and Ammonia still shows a lovely shade of 2.00 ppm green. I did the 50% water change last Sat and dosed Ammo up to 3.00ppm (well i think i did, beginning to doubt everything now) so it went down to 2.00 by the Monday, and again there it sits. It did seem to drop when i did a 25% water change on day 17 but i assume that was just because it was diluted water. I can's ask my LFS because they are against fishless cycling so i am made to feel like a idiot who should have bought fish by now (only takes a few days with fish they said) So i guess i need to keep waiting and perhaps find a new hobby.  :(

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Still stuck, stuck, stuck, stuck..........
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 10:16:53 AM »
When I did my cycle I got stuck in the nitrite stage and it drove me bad so I feel your pain! Have you tried any bottled bacteria? In the end I used one... I can't remember what it's called now the only one that is reported to actually work and somehow things moved on and my tank cycled.. May have been coincidence but could be worth a go!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 10:27:36 AM »
Thanks for the reply, i do have a bottle of "Waterlife Bacterlife" but have resisted using it as im trying to follow Sue's Ammonia only method, which does seem to be giving me lots of Ammonia and nothing else lol (well i have 2.00 ppm Nitrite too) Does NITRATE testing come into the equation at all? cos i haven't done that since day one. Thought i'd include full log of frustrating readings so far

I have 90 lt tank with about 88lts in it. i have sm/med natural gravel with a large resin tree root ornament and a few plastic aquatic plants, and two new real plants. i have a aquarium bought rock and a couple of pebbles out of garden (boiled and cleaned) Did have some Mopani root in for a few days, it produces lots of furry jelly like bacteria that is still in tank.
This is my tank log so far.
Day 1 tested tap water  Ammo = 0.25 Nitrite= 0 Nitrate =0
Day 2 added 2.5ml Ammonia so lever up to 3.00 ppm
Day 5 tested    Ammo = 1.0  Nitrite = 0.50
Day 8  Ammo =0.50  Nitrite = 2.00 so added 2.5 ml Ammonia again to get up to 3.00 ppm again
Day 10 Ammo - 2.00 Nitrite = 2.00
Day 17 same so did 25% water change  Ammo = 1.00  Nitrite = 2.00
Day 20 did 50% water change Ammo 0.50 Nitrite 2.00 so added 1.50 ml Ammoniaup to 3.00 ppm again
Since then Ammo has been 2.00 and Nitrite has been 2.00 and its day 26

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 11:44:52 AM »
I think its safe to say you need Sue for this!!!!

I will just say that my fishless cycle took 6 weeks and then i got bored and put fish in and then had to watch the poor sods scratching, hanging at the surface and generally being miserable, so resist the temptation to get fish!!!! They will be much happier in their nice new fully cycled tank and you will feel all snuggly and warm inside for doing it right!!!!!!!  :D

Hang in there!!!!

FC76

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 12:00:26 PM »
Thank you fishcake, patience is not one of my few virtues, but neither is animal cruelty so no worries there.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 02:46:45 PM »
I don't know what to suggest  ??? Your water company must be good at killing bacteria - you do use a dechlorinator don't you?

There are two bottled bacteria that do work, though not every time. The best one is Dr Tim's One & Only, though it is very hard to get in the UK. The other is Tetra Safe Start, which is easy to find in the UK.  These are the only two that contain the correct species of both ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria. The problem with them is that they must be stored correctly at every stage between manufacture and your tank, and all it needs is a lorry driver to let it get too hot or too cold and that kills the bacteria.
I would be inclined to get some Tetra Safe Start, add it to the tank according to the dosage instructions, but continue with the fishless cycle instead of getting live fish.

If it doesn't work, you are no worse off than you are now  :-\

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 06:35:34 PM »
It's weird how your cycle keeps stalling. The only thing I could think of was dechlorinator not working???  Filter is in tank and running? Not broken down? Heater working?
By your stage I was testing nitrates too, but only out of interest. (I'm a science geek so drew a graph of my readings!) Might be worth testing it to see if much has been produced?

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 06:37:57 PM »
I would test tomorrow but i have wopped a load of bottled bacteria in now, as a last ditch attempt. What would the Nitrate reading tell me?

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 06:41:09 PM »
Ammonia converts to nitrite, converts to nitrate.
So increasing nitrate levels tells you your nitrite is converting to nitrate, the end product of the cycle.
Whereas stable nitrate level not much higher than in your tap water says nothing is happening to the nitrite.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 07:05:04 PM »
Ooooh, never thought of that  :-[

You do need to measure your tap water nitrate and subtract that from the tank reading. And shake bottle 2 till your arm falls off (if you have the API tester, it might be a different bottle with a different brand)

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 07:12:17 PM »
Well my initial test of tap water with API read as Ammo = 0.25  Nitrite =0 and Nitrate = 0 but i will test all again at weekend. Thanks all.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 02:12:48 AM »
Aquamaid I feel you're pain, I really do. I took about 3 months to cycle my tank because I decided halfway though to add an aquarium soil substrate because I wanted a very heavily planted tank. I had the weird white jelly fungus too see the piccy, it grew just about everywhere including on my plants, some of which I had to dump, Colin said it looked like a bacterial growth and he was right. I still had it when the tank finished cycling but I had to treat some fish for finrot with eSHa 2000 and the stuff just disappeared.

Don't give up, boil your wood and stick it back in and like Sue said shake that nitrate test solution until your arm drops off. I didnt read the instructions on the bottle properly until Sue gave me a nudge and when I finally did I had nitrates off the scale :yikes: Thankfully this all happened pre-fish.

My filter was cycled but cos I added some new finny friends (endlers..see my new thread  ::) ) I'm back to testing water on a daily basis until I know the filter bacteria can cope. 12months down the line we'll all look back and laugh while we eye up bigger and better set-ups  ;)

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 08:07:16 AM »
Thanks Fiona, i have wopped in a load of "Waterlife Bacterlife" bacteria, so not sure if that will affect readings, but im going to keep tabs over weekend, maybe do 50% water change again and see what happens next week.  :-\

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 12:52:28 PM »
I'd do what Puffin suggested too and re test for nitrates.  Hark at me sounding all sagacious  :rotfl: It's something I wasnt testing right at first, you really have to shake API nitrate bottle 2 for at least 30 secs and then the whole test tube for 1 min or you get false readings. Because of all my plants and using 50/50 tap/di-ionised water mine sits at about 20ppm now. The first time I did the test properly the readings were almost off the scale, i felt like a right twit ::)

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2014, 01:09:28 PM »
I wopped a load of "Waterlife Bacterlife" in yesterday and today i took readings, Ammo still 2.00 Nitrate 2-6? not sure
Nitrate 4.00 and Ph still a lovely shade of blue at 7.6 or more, so iv'e done an 80% water change this morning and will keep checking the rest of the week to see what if anything happens  :-\

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2014, 01:14:58 PM »
Nitrate or nitrite?

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2014, 01:32:01 PM »
Read both, NITRITE 2-6? and NITRATE was 4.00 ppm

Offline jesnon

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2014, 06:26:22 PM »
What's your tap water nitrate reading?

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2014, 06:28:50 PM »
My tap water is 0.00 Nitrite  0.00 Nitrate and 0.25 Ammonia  :-\

Offline jesnon

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2014, 06:38:10 PM »
Well you're very fortunate to have no nitrate in your tap water at least! A reading if 4 at least suggests something is going on though as some nitrite has produced nitrate. Though when you say 4ppm... I'm a little confused. I thought nitrate went up in 20s? I don't have my API chart with me so I may be wrong

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Still stuck, stuck, stuck, stuck.........."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post March 19, 2013, 07:51:23 AM
by ColinB
9 Replies
Last post June 28, 2013, 01:49:17 PM
by jesnon
11 Replies
Last post September 07, 2013, 04:52:11 PM
by jesnon
3 Replies
Last post September 14, 2013, 10:23:46 AM
by Sue
21 Replies
Last post May 20, 2016, 08:16:01 PM
by mazzamoo
2 Replies
Last post June 06, 2016, 02:35:36 PM
by rosaleen
11 Replies
Last post June 05, 2017, 07:52:58 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: