Still Stuck, Stuck, Stuck, Stuck..........

Author Topic: Still stuck, stuck, stuck, stuck..........  (Read 31692 times) 154 replies

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
Re: Still stuck, stuck, stuck, stuck..........
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2014, 09:50:24 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi D.B yes sorry Nitrate was 40ppm, and it seems as though my Ammonia only goes down after water changes. I have done test today,Day 31, 2nd day from putting sisters tank filter sponge in, and i'm reading Ammonia as 0.50ppm (i wasn't  sure if it read that prior to adding sponge,  but it definately is now) and Nitrite is still high in the pink purple range 2-5ppm. i will re read the 50/50 thing and give it a go, may need you guys to clarify what i'm actually reading lol

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2014, 10:24:17 AM »
Ok guys, what does this tell you. Today's tank only reading is... Ammo = 0.50ppm  Nitrite = 2-5ppm

Tap water only Ammo = 0.25ppm  Nitrite = 0

50/50 tap and tank
Ammo-=(didn't read, should i have?) Nitrite = 0.50 ppm
 ???

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2014, 10:24:39 AM »
If you have an ammonia of 0.5, nitrite 2-5 and nitrate 40 (with a tap water nitrate of near zero) then things are happening!

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2014, 10:27:20 AM »
And your nitrite isn't so high that it would stall the cycle.

Not sure what to do next though, what does everyone think? Time to top up ammonia or wait?

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2014, 10:48:46 AM »
 More Ammonia !!  :yikes: can i wait and see if anything else happens first lol Should there be any Ammonia in my tap water? it's highly chlorinated and treated. I'm going to my local Maidenhead Aquatics later today, will get them to test my tank water and maybe my tap water too, if they will.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2014, 03:31:56 PM »
It is possible to have trace amounts of ammonia in tap water. Firstly, ammonia testers can be quite hard to read. Many people using the API liquid tester reckon they've never seen the zero colour even when the tank has been running for years. Then legislation allows up to 0.5ppm ammonia in drinking water. If your water company uses chloramine rather than chlorine, the ammonia half of that molecule shows up in the ammonia test.

Since you are going to MA, let us know what they make of your water and we can work from there.

And I should have finished laying carpet tiles in the downstairs loo by then. My knees hurt.........

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2014, 04:28:19 PM »
Ooh! i would have said "say a little prayer whilst your on your knees please Sue" lol. RIGHT!
here's the comparison
My readings today,          Tank- Ammo = 0.50 ppm  Nitrite = 2-4ppm
and Tap i read as Ammo = 0.25 ppm
Maidenhead Aquatics readings Tank- Ammo =0.50 ppm  Nitrite = 0.50 ppm  Nitrate - 20-40 ppm
and tap as Ammo = 0 ppm

so i read same Ammo for tank, but i get false reading in tap and i get higher reading for Nitrite, (but read same when i did 50/50 diluted). He did say basically "i have long way to go"  :'(
So what do you think  :-\ Oh and he said a "fish in" cycle is more predictable?

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2014, 06:04:46 PM »
I've just had a read back on this thread and another look at the cycling instructions and I reckon you're about here although I'm willing to stand corrected.....a day where the ammonia reading is less than 0.75 ppm and the nitrite reading is over 2.0ppm.

If thats the case you now need to add the amount of ammonia you used on the first day to get 3ppm and then start testing every 2 days until you have 2 tests that show no ammonia which will be step 8

*edited to add this stage can take quite a while so be patient  ;)

I know cycling can get very frustrating and I mean REALLY  :yikes: frustrating but your fish will love you for it. Chin up ducks we've all been there at some point, i did 2 fishless cycles cos I decided to re-scape my tank and then because the filter was inadequate I had to do a semi fish in cycle until the new filter had cycled and that was NOT fun involving up to 75% water changes frequently x2 a day.

Oooo I could quite cheerfully biff that twerp in your shop on the nose. You really dont need advice like that  >:(

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2014, 06:16:44 PM »
Aww thanks Fiona, i would have said you were correct with your "what stage i'm at" BUT according to the shop reading my Nitrite is not 2-4ppm as my test clearly shows (dark pink purple) but 0.50 ppm (i should have had a look at his result col, didn't think at time) but we agreed on the Ammonia and Nitrate levels.

Offline Sue

« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2014, 06:58:13 PM »
Fish-in is more predictable - I predict your fish will get sick  ;)

OK, nitrite.
I'm going right back to basics, bear with me.

Which brand tester are you using?
If it's API, are you adding 5 drops from the one bottle labelled 'nitrite', shaking quickly and letting it stand 5 mins?
What are the colours on your shade card? I have 2 cards for nitrite, they show different colours for 0.5 and 1.0  :-\

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2014, 07:05:26 PM »
Yes it is API liquid test and expires on 04 2019. I do as you say and the Nitrite is always dark pinky purple, or 2.00 to me rather than blueish. I did a 50/50 tap and tank water test and it came up as Nitrite 0.50 so i know what that should look like too : )

Offline Sue

« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2014, 07:19:39 PM »
The dilution test won't be terribly accurate as you need pure water and very accurate measuring equipment for that, but it does let you know that the undiluted reading is not way off the top of the scale. Once the level goes past the highest on the colour chart, a lot of tester show the highest colour regardless of how high the level really is. The fact that your dilution test shows roughly half the undiluted test means it is not way off the top of the scale.

Right. Since we are trying to fathom out what on earth is going on in your tank, add enough ammonia to give a reading of 2ppm. The API tester has a colour for 2.0 so it's not like guessing 3ppm at half way between the 2 and 4 colours. Wait half an hour then check the ammonia level to confirm it is 2.0 Then wait 24 hours and test ammonia and nitrite.

Hmmmm....... just a thought. What ammonia are you adding? Brand and, if possible, a photo of the bottle.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2014, 08:05:41 PM »
It's the Jeyes Kleen off Ammonia household cleaner. and i will do the the dose tomorrow if and when we get enough daylight to see what im doing lol thanks Sue  :)

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2014, 12:37:50 AM »
Well I'm not sure what to suggest as I'm on to stage 7 and tested today and have ammonia at 0 and nitrite at 2ppmso need to test in another 2 days time  and should be ok to add the maintenance dose. What is strange is that your nitrite test and MA's vary and by quite a lot! Which is just very strange!
I have to say when I shake my testers I count 5 Mississippi's before I start the 5 minute countdown so I know I have the same timings so the results shouldn't be affected by any wrong timings.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (6) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ruby Barb (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (10) - Sparkling Gourami (15) - Golden Pencilfish (15) - Angelfish (7) - Japonica Shrimp (9) - Assassin Snail (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Golden Pencilfish (7) - Diamond Tetra (9) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Flame Tetra (2) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Round Banded Barb (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2014, 01:19:06 PM »
That ammonia is fine; it's the one I have. It doesn't say on the bottle, but their website says it's pure ammonia solution and when I emailed them to ask they said it was 9.5%. I'm clutching at straws and suddenly thought I'd better check if your ammonia has detergent in. It hasn't.

The chap who devised the new fishless cycling method has commented that the slowest cycles he sees are in the UK and he the only reason he can come up with is that our water companies are efficient at killing bacteria in the water supply.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2014, 01:34:01 PM »
I just had a look at my notes and it took me 46 days to fully cycle my tank and that's not including the first time I started when I decided to re-scape and doesn't include the days I was doing a fish in mini cycle when the first filter started to pack up and I had to add a second filter to the tank.

I actually find the API scale chart quite hard to read at times, you have to make sure you have very good light and the angle you view it at can actually drastically change the results, the nitrate test in particular is hard to read accurately so I'm not suprised at the different readings.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2014, 01:37:50 PM »
Further development, i decided to test my sisters fish tank water with my kit and see how far off mine is, we both got the same results, hers was Ammo 0.25 and Nitirite 0  so it shows my kit can test low ammounts. So what to do next, i'm reluctant to stick any more Ammo in my tank so i may wait and see if if goes down from 0.50 to 0.25 then dose it again what do you think? will it eventually have to drop or can it stay at one level indefinately?

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2014, 01:45:43 PM »
I'd say grit your teeth and add the ammonia, those bacteria need feeding and need a certain level of ammonia to flourish and build up. Then test it again in 2 days...we know where you are in the cycle now so we can give you some moral support.

Offline Sue

« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2014, 03:53:09 PM »
I'd add some more ammonia as well. Maybe not 3ppms-worth but 2-ish. That can't make enough nitrite to stall a cycle.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2014, 04:00:27 PM »
Ok will do tomorrow  :( thanks all

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Still stuck, stuck, stuck, stuck.........."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post March 19, 2013, 07:51:23 AM
by ColinB
9 Replies
Last post June 28, 2013, 01:49:17 PM
by jesnon
11 Replies
Last post September 07, 2013, 04:52:11 PM
by jesnon
3 Replies
Last post September 14, 2013, 10:23:46 AM
by Sue
21 Replies
Last post May 20, 2016, 08:16:01 PM
by mazzamoo
2 Replies
Last post June 06, 2016, 02:35:36 PM
by rosaleen
11 Replies
Last post June 05, 2017, 07:52:58 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: