Started Fishless Cycle

Author Topic: Started fishless cycle  (Read 12405 times) 70 replies

Offline Andy64

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Started fishless cycle
« on: July 29, 2018, 11:04:22 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post
Hi, I have started the fishless cycle of my 200 LTR aquarium, I added 4ml of ammonia three days ago and ammonia ppm was around 4 - 5 , I added another 3ml of ammonia today and ppm is the same and there is no nitrite reading ? is this normal ? This is the first time I have done a fishless cycle so have nothing to compare it to   :-\ ,

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Started fishless cycle
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2018, 08:04:59 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Yes it is normal. It may clear during cycling or it may not. But after you've done the big water change once the cycle is finished, that will remove all the cloudiness ready for fish.

Offline Andy64

• Fishy Member
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2018, 05:03:45 PM »
Thank you for all your help, it is much appreciated  :)

Offline Andy64

• Fishy Member
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2018, 01:23:43 PM »
Two and a half weeks in to the fishless cycle and not a lot seems to be happening. Ammonia remains around 2ppm ( I think, it`s difficult to tell going off the chart ?), there is no nitrite present. I understand  this can take a while, I`ll have to prepare myself for the day the nitrite turns up because I might pass out with excitement ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2018, 01:57:46 PM »
That's just how I felt when it happened. I was beginning to give up hope  ;D It took 4 weeks for me.

Offline Andy64

• Fishy Member
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2018, 07:29:05 PM »
I have a sand substrate in the tank , I want a shoal of corys and understand that they love sand  :). If I put some live plants in the tank, how much will this help the cycle, if at all. I have a couple of nice silk plants in there at the moment which look very nice, is it Ok to mix live plants as well ?.

Offline Sue

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2018, 07:36:19 PM »
It is fine to mix silk and live plants.

Live plants use ammonia as their preferred source of nitrogen, but it takes a lot of fast growing plants to remove all the ammonia made by fish. Floating plants are particularly good because they are close to the tank lights and can take up carbon dioxide from the air, so they process ammonia faster than submerged plants.
If you plan on just a few live plants you will still need to grow a lot of bacteria to remove ammonia, the plants won't be able to do it all.

And yes, cories do love sand. They feed by taking a mouthful of sand and sifting it for morsels of food then expelling the sand through their gills. Just about all bottom dwelling fish are better on sand.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2018, 12:19:04 AM »
@Sue can live plants handle the 3ppm ammonia required for cycling the tank?

Offline Sue

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2018, 09:05:44 AM »
I know that 3 ppm is more ammonia than a sensibly stocked tank makes in 24 hours. The reasoning is that if we grow enough bacteria to remove 3 ppm, we'll have more than enough to fully stock the tank as soon as the cycle finishes. Note I said 'sensibly stocked' - it won't be enough for a very over stocked tank like some Rift Lake cichlid tanks you see :)

Plants take up ammonia faster than bacteria so a well planted tank will not grow as many bacteria as a tank with only fake plants. Some bacteria will grow but only slowly.
If fish are added slowly, a few at a time, to a tank well planted with fast growing plants, and the water quality tested daily, there is no need to cycle a tank before getting fish. Some bacteria will grow slowly as more fish are added. The important words are 'add fish a few at a time' and 'well planted' and 'fast growing'. Adding half the proposed stock at one go with 2 slow growing java ferns will not work!

So the answer to your question is - it depends  ;D It depends on how many plants and what type. But yes, a tank with a fair number of fast growing plants does not need to be cycled and will remove all the ammonia made by a tank of fish. As for whether that is actually 3 ppm, it is probably a bit less than that.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2018, 12:50:16 PM »
Sorry I wasn't clear in my previous... I mean will it be harmful for the plants to be in a 3ppm ammonia solution?

Offline Sue

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2018, 01:21:42 PM »
Sorry, misunderstood  :-[

Yes, 3 ppm ammonia is harmful to a lot of plants. Either do a fishless cycle then plant the tank after it has finished, or plants the tank and use them to do a silent cycle.

Offline Andy64

• Fishy Member
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2018, 08:32:51 PM »
I believe I may have nitrites after testing this evening. It is showing a very light hint of pink which will be 0.5 on my chart. Ammonia is still showing around 2 or just below. I have noticed what looks like spots of algae on the sand substrate, is this a sign of anything good ?? or bad ??.

Offline Sue

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2018, 08:41:55 PM »
Algae is common in cycling tanks, particularly if you have the tank lights on. It's because of all that ammonia. The commonest algae during cycling is diatoms. These look like brownish dust which is easily wiped off. The good news is that once the cycle is finished it usually goes away. Slowly.
It is because we add ammonia as one big dose instead of tiny amounts every minute of every day like when there are fish in the tank. And it just stays there until the ammonia eaters have grown.

Keep testing every third day until nitrite is over 2 and ammonia under 0.75  :) If nitrite is beginnig to show it should shoot up quite quickly.

Offline Andy64

• Fishy Member
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2018, 09:18:01 PM »
Thank you for the info Sue, yes you are dead right, the algae looks like brown spots of dust :) , i'll just continue the waiting game but at least i have a small change in the cycle.

Offline Andy64

• Fishy Member
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2018, 08:41:17 PM »
Three and a half weeks in now and the nitrites i thought I'd seen have disappeared  ::), ammonia is between 1 and 2 , could be lower it's hard to be certain. There are no nitrites or nitrates. I'm hoping something will happen soon , I'm starting to think that actually there is no such thing as nitrites   :))

Offline Sue

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2018, 09:03:59 PM »
Don't worry, I've been there and it is incredibly frustrating  ;D I was beginning to wonder if my ammonia was evaporating out of the tank until nitrite started to show up.

How is the pH - is it above 6.5?

Offline Andy64

• Fishy Member
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2018, 09:19:06 PM »
Hi Sue, yes it is frustrating  ;D I think i'll throw a nitrite party when they appear  :)) . PH looks fine it's around 7.5 - 8 .

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2018, 07:28:40 AM »
Keep going @Andy64
Tank cycling is frustrating, though I think a nitrite party is a great idea   :cheers:

Offline TopCookie

• aka: Pierre
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2018, 12:03:11 PM »
You'll get there Andy, and before you know it, struggling with with the cycle will be a distant memory...  :)

Offline Andy64

• Fishy Member
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2018, 10:21:06 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I have nitrites  :cheers: think it's four weeks today , i would say 0.5 on my chart but they are definitely there  :) Ammonia is still around 1. I shall wait now and hopefully the nitrates will spike soon and the ammonia will drop a little more. 

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2018, 04:25:12 AM »
I have nitrites  :cheers: think it's four weeks today , i would say 0.5 on my chart but they are definitely there  :) Ammonia is still around 1. I shall wait now and hopefully the nitrates will spike soon and the ammonia will drop a little more.

Yey, congratulations!   :cheers:

By the way, any chance you could upload a photo of your tank? I'm curious to see what you have been staring at for the last 4 weeks waiting!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Started fishless cycle"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2013, 01:45:59 AM
by SteveS
172 Replies
Last post April 29, 2013, 08:20:45 PM
by Sue
49 Replies
Last post April 15, 2013, 09:23:25 PM
by jesnon
241 Replies
Last post June 20, 2013, 12:15:33 PM
by jesnon
6 Replies
Last post July 17, 2014, 10:10:07 AM
by aespp
63 Replies
Last post March 22, 2017, 12:04:28 PM
by sjames
5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2021, 08:49:43 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: