Author Topic: Soft water conditions  (Read 2903 times) 6 replies

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Soft water conditions
« on: January 28, 2017, 10:57:35 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I recently noticed my tap water is getting softer and is currently sitting at 0.5dKh/2.5dGh, this isn't causing problems as the fish were all chosen to match local conditions and I keep a close eye on pH. However I have an algae scrubber in the sump and noticed it wasn't growing very well, this could be because it's well into the filter system and the nitrates are fairly low in that half of the sump.
But anyhoo, a couple of months ago I thought it might be a good idea to add some phosphate/nitrate free fert to see if the micro nutrients were low and holding it back. Well this also caused algae to grow in the tank itself, not a massive problem but I stopped adding it and it been in the back of my mind since then.
I added a 'full dose' as per instructions but on reflections this would have been wrong because with a 6.5pH and 0.5dKh the CO2 is only 3.9ppm (very low but it's largely unplanted so I wasn't too bothered), presumably this ideal for algae so I was the right initial track.
So the question, I still feel I would like to add ferts for a good water balance (the scrubber is growing again so the original problem is solved) Has anybody seen guidance on the levels to add just for micro nutrients rather than plant/algae growth, a full dose is obviously a bit too much.
Unless someone can something better I will try at lower levels but I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Soft water conditions
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 11:27:32 AM »
I don't know much about plants having only a few species of 'easy' plants but I do know that soft water isn't low in just calcium & magnesium - it is low in everything. Fertilisers are important in soft water as there are very few minerals in soft water.

The fertiliser that I've seen recommended as containing all the minerals needed by plants is Seachem Flourish, the one with nothing else in the name. Apparently, most other plant fertilisers are lacking one mineral or even a couple of them. Flourish doesn't contain nitrate or phosphate as those come in different Seachem products - and nitrate is made by fish and there is phosphate in fish food so a well stocked tank should provide enough of those.
Andy will now tell me that he is already using Seachem Flourish  ;D

Another thing I do know is that algae grows when something is not in balance with fertiliser, light duration/wavelength and CO2. People who do know about plants talk about trying to establish which of those is out of balance and correcting it.

Because my main tank is not heavily planted and I have only slow growing plants, I don't use the full dose of Flourish. I need to add some now as I did a water change yesterday and have got the bottle out of the fridge. The dose on the bottle is 5 ml per 250 litres once or twice a week. For 180 litres I should use 3.6 ml but I use just 2 ml once a week. But I do have that algae that looks like black fur on the plants in full light. I don't get it on the plants under the floating plants so the cause of mine is probably light.

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 01:01:18 PM »
Thanks @Sue I will try dropping a couple of fert manufacturers an email and see if they are willing to offer advice. I'll add it to the post if they reply.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 06:25:19 PM »
Try www.barrreport.com, id be interested to know what you find out  :cheers:

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 09:40:02 PM »
I got a response from Easylife already!
They are a Dutch company and make Profito the 'with fish' fert I use. It was fast and a good reply but didn't shed a lot of light. They pointed out my kH is very low and risks a pH crash... of course true, and suggested raising it with Sodium bicarbonate, also completely correct.
@Matt I took a look at the Barreport - it's heavy going in places and those Guys are putting serious money into multi parameter photometers. What I did see was references to trace element as a component of DIY ferts. I'll do some digging out of interest but I feel I'm getting into areas that I don't understand enough about to start meddling. My Gh isn't as low and it is a bit higher than tap in the tanks so maybe I should just start adding bicarb again?

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 11:27:55 PM »
I have Tufa/limestone rock in the tank on a permanent basis - although KH and GH do fall post water change, it does keep them up at about 2.5 and 4.5 respectively from about mid-end of week from a 'natural'/tap water level almost as soft as yours.

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 01:05:50 PM »
A second response! This time from TMC, my previous fert was TMC Lite again a with fish version. As you will see its looking like this was a stupid idea.
I didn't get to Email Seachem yet but I will this evening. Im getting the feeling that the products are not intended for this purpose so the stock answer is no but I do wonder what they will say given their published complete nutrient list

Hi Andrew, there is Magnesium in TNC which would affect your GH, but it would be far from the best product to use.I do make a GH Booster that contains Calcium, Magnesium and Potassium that can be used to raise GH by a given amount for a given dose - again, I sell this as a plant food generally.For your KH you'd be looking for a KH booster that uses Carbonates, but I don't currently make one.Sorry for the slightly mixed response!!Nigel

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Soft water conditions"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post December 17, 2012, 01:12:19 PM
by ColR1948
4 Replies
Last post April 26, 2014, 06:52:42 PM
by Sue
19 Replies
Last post March 06, 2015, 04:14:26 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post March 25, 2016, 12:27:34 PM
by Sue
14 Replies
Last post June 25, 2016, 04:38:03 PM
by Luke
13 Replies
Last post April 14, 2017, 10:07:57 AM
by Sue
19 Replies
Last post July 07, 2017, 05:38:10 PM
by mizuti

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: