Supplementary Internal Filter

Author Topic: Supplementary Internal filter  (Read 5772 times) 4 replies

Mark64

Supplementary Internal filter
« on: October 09, 2012, 08:30:36 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all

I wonder if anyone knows roughly how long a second supplementary internal filter would take to mature in an established tank using only new media?

My tank is 320 liters (Length 130cm Height 50cm Depth 50cm) and has been established for two and half years using a slightly oversized canister filter. (Tetratec ex1200)

The residents are...

1 Bala shark about 16cms. (Soon to be moving to bigger pastures)
1 Green Phantom Plec.
3 Boeseman Rainbow
1 Stripped Raphael Catfish.
1 Chinese Hillstream Loach.
5 Kribensis ( 2 Baby born in tank)
3 Polka dot loaches.
1 Black widow Tetra.

Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Supplementary Internal filter
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 04:33:56 PM »
You would need to run both filters for at least six weeks. But remember that by the end of that time the bateria would be split between the two filters in proportion to their size. If the external had, say, five times more media than the internal that would give you a ratio of 5:1 external:internal, so the internal would only be able to support a sixth of the fish currently in the tank. And if your intention is to put the internal in another tank, when you moved it you'd only have five sixths of the bacteria left in the external.

If you wanted to cycle it a bit quicker than that, in around a month, you could swap some new internal filter media with mature external filter media as having mature media actually inside the internal would seed it better. Put the mature media first in the direction of water flow so that any dislodged bacteria would get swept into the new media.

Mark64

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 08:05:25 PM »
Thanks for the reply Sue!

Yes I had suspected the new internal would take over a certain percentage of the bacteria load, but if the internal is then removed wouldn't the external compensate and reproduce the missing percentage fairly rapidly and return to it's original state?

My main reason for installing the internal is to help with creating a good circulation within the tank rather than wanting more filtration, so perhaps if I fill the internal with cotton wool and use it to polish rather than filter the water? I understand cotton wool does very little in the way of forming beneficial bacteria when used in a filter.   

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 09:28:14 PM »
I wasn't sure what your intentions with the internal were, it didn't sound like you were intending to cycle it for another tank, but I though I'd better mention it just in case.

Yes, since it is safe to remove up to one third of the filter media, if you took the internal out the bacteria would make up the difference so quickly you'd probably never see any ammonia or nitrite - assuming your internal has less than around a half/third of the media the external has.

If you are wanting the internal for extra circulation you could always run it empty. But if you want to fill it I'd go for filter wool rather than cotton wool - I use that round the home and I would worry it would try to soak up tank water rather than allow it to pass through and you'd end up with a horrid gooey mess. I'd try plain ordinary generic filter wool, it's fairly cheap. That would grow bacteria on it, but depending on what your tank is like you might find it clogged fairly quickly so need replacing before it built up bacteria in any significant numbers.

Mark64

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 09:38:47 PM »
Thanks again Sue!

Sorry, I meant filter wool of course! I think I'll follow that plan of action  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Supplementary Internal filter"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post June 19, 2013, 02:29:44 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post October 27, 2014, 07:20:02 PM
by Wild Rover
9 Replies
Last post July 11, 2016, 10:48:20 AM
by ColinB
0 Replies
Last post May 21, 2015, 08:02:10 PM
by Extreme_One
10 Replies
Last post November 24, 2016, 09:30:40 PM
by fcmf
3 Replies
Last post June 08, 2019, 09:17:22 AM
by Littlefish
41 Replies
Last post December 21, 2019, 09:15:21 PM
by barneyadi

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: