Rise In Harmful Chemicals?

Author Topic: Rise in harmful chemicals?  (Read 4931 times) 5 replies

Offline Narm1971

• Fishy Contributor
Rise in harmful chemicals?
« on: May 20, 2013, 01:28:56 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
My populated tank has been running nicely for 4 months or so. I do a weekly test with the API freshwater test kit and a weekly water change of 25-30% (63l tank). My normal readings have been 0.25ppm ammonia, 0 nitrite and nitrates in the range of 5-20ppm.

Last week there was a sudden nitrite spike up to 5ppm. This coincided with some unusually inactive fish and others (especially harlequins) spending a lot of time at the surface. I did my usual water change and also added a higher than normal dose of Prime to try and prevent nitrite poisoning. They all survived and I did an additional midweek water change and test and nitrite was back to 0, but also nitrates were zero. I also cut back on flake food quantity to try and avoid waste food turning to anything harmful.

When I did the regular test and change this weekend, ammonia was up to 4ppm, nitrites still zero and nitrates were zero.

Any ideas on what is going on? Especially with a new surge in ammonia and an unusual lack of nitrates? I wondered if I had adversely affected the chemical cycle with the emergency prime dose.

Views and advice welcome. Is there anything else I should be doing to restablish my stable tank?

Many thanks

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Harlequin Rasbora (6) - Panda Cory (2) - Dwarf Gourami (3) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Rise in harmful chemicals?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 02:32:29 PM »
Did you do anything to the tank except water changes? Add more fish; change anything in the filter; forget to add dechlorinator; change the type of food; accidentally add too much food (or had visitors who may have fed the fish); new decor; any fish unaccounted for.

It is very hard to overdose dechlorinator, but there is something about Prime giving false ammonia results within 24 hours of use.
The nitrite eaters are more delicate than the ammonia eaters and are more easy killed, leading to a nitrite spike. The lack of nitrate does suggest something wrong with the nitrite eaters (nothing to make nitrate).

The best thing to do for now is test the tank daily and do a water change every time you see either ammonia or nitrite showing up in a test. With readings of 4 or 5 you would need to remove as much water as possible - leave just enough in the bottom to allow the fish to stay upright. If something has happened to your bacteria you are in the same situation as someone doing a fish-in cycle. Because there should be some bacteria alive in the filter, it shouldn't take as long to sort out as actually doing a cycle, but you still need to do the water changes.

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 04:05:05 PM »
The fact that you say you "normally" get 0.25 ppm ammonia is of some concern.  After 4 months, you should never get anything but zero! I suspect that Prime is your problem.  The Prime FAQ gives some info about the incorrect figures given for ammonia tests when used with Prime.  It is imperative that you perform your ammonia tests before adding prime or wait at least 24 hours after adding it.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 04:13:11 PM »
I know that a lot of people have difficulty deciding if the colour of their API ammonia test is zero or 0.25. Some report never having seen the yellow zero colour even after several years. If they are using Prime, that could be why.

Offline Narm1971

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 09:53:17 PM »

I tested again,ammonia still 4, nitrites 0 and nitrates 5 (so encouraging that nitrates are now showing?)

I did a large water change as suggested, so will test again tomorrow.

I used a different dechlorinator to try and avoid a Prime false positive.

As for the cause, I can only think it might have been overfeeding - perhaps if the kids did it unsupervised when I was late home from work!

Thanks for the advice.

Harlequin Rasbora (6) - Panda Cory (2) - Dwarf Gourami (3) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 08:52:40 AM »
With an ammonia of 4, you need to change as much water as you can get out, then retest and do another change if there's still any ammonia.

Yes, overfeeding could have caused a spike like that. Uneaten food decomposes to make ammonia. Do a very thorough deep gravel clean (if you have gravel, not sand) and move the decor to find any food possibly caught unerneath.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Rise in harmful chemicals?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post April 15, 2014, 10:18:44 PM
by Tommo
4 Replies
Last post June 20, 2015, 01:58:27 PM
by Fiona
7 Replies
Last post December 15, 2016, 04:57:15 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: