Rio 125 Filter

Author Topic: Rio 125 filter  (Read 5877 times) 8 replies

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Rio 125 filter
« on: November 27, 2013, 01:52:19 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi
I have recently bought a used Rio 125 tank which I am about to begin setting up. I have opened up the filter and cleaned everything out checking the pump (600 lph) is working etc. However, I am not sure what media to put in. There are two holders, each capable of holding three media for a total of six. The previous owner has provided me with a lot of new media in boxes, both coarse and fine sponges, Cirax and Poly Pads. However, I'm not sure how many of these I need to put in and in which order. Does it matter which goes at the bottom and the top, or in the middle? Do I need to fill both of the holders or can some be left empty, and if so which should be filled and which empty? I imagine some people will be familiar with this model and will be able to help.
As a new member I shall write a personal introduction shortly. However, it might be worth mentioning here that I like a quite densely planted tank and so prefer not to have too much filtration as I like the plants (all easy types) to obtain their nutrition from the fish waste etc. I also do not keep any "messy" fish and this tank will only contain small shoals of tetras and corydoras when it is eventually completed.
Thanks in advance.
Richard

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Rio 125 filter
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 03:00:18 PM »
Hi Richard  :)

I have a Rio 125, though I got mine in 2006 so it is quite old and the filter has changed since then. The filter is fine for non-messy fish. But I did take that built-in one out after a couple of months because it was so noisy it drove us mad. Having said that, I've never come across anyone else who says it's noisy.

So you have coarse and fine sponges, cirax and poly pads. Are all the sponges blue or is one green and one black? The green sponge is supposed to remove nitrate but the general consensus is that it doesn't and it should be treated the same as the blue sponges. The black sponge isn't needed on a daily basis.
The blue sponges are mecahanical and biological media, the cirax is biological, the black (carbon) sponge is chemical and the white pads are mechanical. The coarse blue sponge is better at filtering bits out than the fine ones, and they are better for the bacteria to live in then the coarse one.

The white pads will clog quickly and you can only wash them once, maybe twice, before they go shapeless so buy a roll of pond filter wool and use one of the white pads as a template to cut some more, very cheap ones.
The white pads will need replacing regularly but the sponges and cirax will last for years.

Continued in next post.......

Offline Sue

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 03:05:34 PM »
I've just discovered there is now a limit to the number of characters in any one post. I presume that's a response the the spamming attack over last weekend. My posts are often long and I've never had this happen before  :o

To continue from above.......

Now for how they fit. The simplest thing is to give you a link to the manual from Juwel's website. The media order is on page 4. There should be 2 fine blue sponges at the bottom, then the cirax. In the next basket, the coarse blue then the green then the black with the white pad right on the top. If you do have a black sponge, leave it in the cupboard. If you have a green sponge it will be like the fine blue ones rather than the coarse one - reverse the order, have the green sponge in the bottom of the top basket with the coarse blue on top.

The reasoning for this order - in the Juwel filter the water flows from top to bottom. The white pads on the top are to catch any big bits and stop them getting into the rest of the media. The coarse blue sponge catches bits that get through the white pad and is a home for some of the filter bacteria. The fine sponges (blue and green) and the cirax are the main home for the filter bacteria and they go last in the water flow so the previous media gets rid of the bits before it can clog the fine sponges.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 03:07:53 PM »
And to get round the post size limit, yet another follow on  ;D

You sound in your post that you know what you are doing with fish tanks - do I need to tell you about cycling the filter?

Offline Richard W

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 04:04:09 PM »
Hi Sue
Thanks very much for the information. I actually have one coarse blue and three fine blue sponges (no green or black) plus two lots of Cirax. I assume I can substitute one of the fine blue for the green, but should I put both lots of Cirax in, and if so, where should the second one go? Or should I just leave the top space empty.

I've managed to cycle a couple of tanks in the last year or so, and I think I've got the hang of it OK. These tanks were also both second hand and for those I bought new filters and light tubes. Used tanks are so cheap that it seems to make sense to replace these parts immediately. However, in the case of the Rio 125 I'm not sure how I would get the existing filter out. It seems pretty firmly attached. There is also a moulded background which goes right up to the filter and seems to be bonded onto it. I hope it won't be too noisy ...............
Thanks
Richard

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 04:20:50 PM »
Three fine blue and one coarse blue sounds like a good substitute for 2 fine blue, 1 coarse and 1 green. You could try - 2 fine blue, then cirax in the bottom layer. Then in the top layer, either the second cirax or the last fine blue sponge, the coarse blue on top of that and the white pad last of all.
Since I never had cirax with my tank (too new for a 2006 tank) I have no idea how thick the box is. If it will fit, try in the top basket - cirax, fine blue, coarse blue, white pad. The black sponge that is supposed to go just under the white pad is thinner than the green/blue sponges. If the cirax box is also thinner, it might just fit with 2 sponges.

If you already have tanks running, steal some media from one of them (or even all of them) and put it under the coarse blue. That'll seed the filter so it'll cycle faster. So in the top section - cirax or fine blue, used media from another tank(s), coarse blue, white pad.

I've not heard of anyone else with a noisy filter so you should be OK.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 04:41:01 PM »
Thanks again for that. I'll set it up as you suggest. I shall have some media from another filter which I'll use. The first tank is always the hardest to cycle, before you have some "seed" material to get you going.

Offline Think Fish (Peter)

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 05:33:44 PM »
Good advice from Sue as ever, also worth noting that you can buy bulk activated carbon (in bags, not sponge) which can be used at the top of the filter stack or inside a cirax box. As Sue said the sponges & cirax will last for years, but the carbon will need changing every few months (if you use it at all) Proper carbon is probably more effective than the black sponge.

Regarding the post size, yes it was one of the changes made with security stuff, however your post alerted me to the fact I put the wrong figure in (I limited characters when I thought I was limiting words!) It was set to 2000 characters, its now set to 10,000 characters!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 07:04:50 PM »
I did wonder about the post size restrictions as I usually ramble on and on, and the restriction only appeared after last weekend. 10,000 characters might just be enough for some of my posts  ;D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Rio 125 filter"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 02:54:44 PM
by suep
2 Replies
Last post November 19, 2014, 10:27:05 PM
by biffster
5 Replies
Last post February 11, 2018, 05:00:40 PM
by rosaleen
2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2018, 10:34:59 PM
by fcmf
1 Replies
Last post February 21, 2018, 08:05:43 PM
by Littlefish
10 Replies
Last post September 01, 2019, 09:12:05 PM
by sharpandroid
21 Replies
Last post January 27, 2021, 10:08:48 PM
by Afterburner

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: