Plaqued By Brown Diatoms. Advice Please.

Author Topic: Plaqued by brown diatoms. Advice please.  (Read 6851 times) 14 replies

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Plaqued by brown diatoms. Advice please.
« on: June 17, 2015, 03:26:56 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Well the title says it all really, this stuff is driving me nuts, it's ugly and also covers my plants in the stuff which can't be helping their growth. It knocks off the plants easily enough but then the water ends up full of tiny particles which can't be great for the fish. Within a day of cleaning the tank and hoovering up as much of the stuff as I can it's back. My tank's been set up since December and I really thought it would have resolved itself by now as I know it affects new aquariums.

I've been giving conflicting advice form my lfs: use API CO2 booster, on the basis the plants will out compete the algae and yesterday I got told to try a phosphate remover.

I have a minor issue with green hair algae but I really do mean minor; a few strands here and there on the odd plant which is very easy to remove.

I have a white sand covering John Innes seed compost. morpani wood,  azalea roots and 2 pieces of granite with pebbles of varying sizes here and there as aquarium decor and my tank is quite densely planted.

Water parameters in that tank: 0 ammonia and nitrite, 20-40 Nitrates, pH 8.2 and I have very hard water.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
Re: Plaqued by brown diatoms. Advice please.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 03:39:50 PM »
I have a newly cycled tank and have noticed I have a fine coating on my heater and bogwood already, but I'm not concerned yet, as I haven't yet planted or introduced the fish (all happening this weekend! :D)

I'm hoping that, as I'm going for a heavily-planted tank, my plants will absorb the excess nutrients that encourages the algae.
Also, as I'm going to be using a 50/50 split between hard tap water and RO water, I'm hoping this will help.

Anyway, in preparation, in case I do end up with a battle on my hands I bookmarked the following page:
http://www.aquascapingworld.com/algaepedia/full_view_algae.php?item_id=79

Hopefully there are some ideas on that page to help you get on top of this.

Perhaps you can consider increase the length of time your lighting is on for?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 08:45:06 PM »
Thanks for the link Simon. The nerites keep the glass, heater, filter and aquarium decor clean its just the stuff settling on the plants and substrate that is a bugbear. The guy at my LFS knows what water supplier I have as we share the same one, so maybe the phosphate remover will work, I'll try it when I clean the tank this weekend.

I have a huge amount plants growing in an arc shaped along the sides and back 2/3rds of the tank, this is my current plant list:
Anubias (nana and another much taller growing one with elongated heart-shaped leaves, yep I lost the label  ::))
Rotala indica
Hygrophila polysperma
Echinodorus harbii x4 different green and red.
Echinodorus harbii
Bacopa amplexicaulis
Myriophyllum tuberculatum
Cryptocoryne ( mixed red and green in 1 big clump)
Vallisneria giganthea rubra (yet to turn red, it needs more iron I think)
Vallisneria americana
Alternanthera cardinalis ( 2 clumps)
Ludwigia (various)
Lobelia cardinali
Limonphila Heterophylla as filler plant
Java moss
java ferns
I've got this lovely broadleaved  plant which I lost the label for, its formed a kind of bush which I've pruned back once since I planted.
Amazonian frogbit (sitting in a floating plastic ring attached to tank wall)
I'm sure I've missed a few out. I love gardening of any type  :)

I use root tabs for most of them plus the CO2 booster for the last few weeks.. My lights which are 36in T8 25mm 30W Power-glo and Aqua-glo came with the tank and are on for 10 hrs a day on a timer switch.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 06:28:32 PM »
I have been amazed by the overnight effect of the phosphate removing media  :cheers: happy days no more powdery gunk all over the plants and sand.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 06:34:22 PM »
What phosphate remover are you using? I'd like to keep an eye out in case I need some in future.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 12:26:31 PM »
ROWA phos :)

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 12:36:22 PM »

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 05:29:43 PM »
My phosphate test kit arrived this morning, our tap water measured as 5ppm. The 200 l tank with the ROWAphos in situ tested as 1ppm which I'm very pleased about  :) I've also just tested my son's tank and that's testing at 10ppm  :yikes: so when he gets home I'll see if he wants to add some to his filter, he's got a problem with black hair algae so I'll be curious to see if it'll have any effect on that.

It's kind of scary to think that we drink these chemicals in our water  :o

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 05:40:07 PM »
I hope your son decides to give it a try, I'll be interested to hear how successful it is. :)

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 09:43:37 AM »
So, now I'm noticing brown diatoms on one or two of my plants.  :sick:

If I were to use the phosphate remover (assuming phosphate is the cause in my system) would the existing algae die off or would it still need removing from the plants?

What's the easiest method of removing it from plant leaves? I don't want to uproot them if I can avoid it.

Offline naughtymoose

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 10:48:34 PM »
Fiona,
How is the tank after a month?

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 06:20:15 PM »
The diatoms have been greatly reduced but not completely eradicated. I'm still puzzled why its only a problem in the 200 liter tank and not the others.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 07:14:20 PM »
Is the 200 litre the one labelled as tank 3 in your signature?

Possibilities -
In tank 1 you have otos. In tanks 2 and 4 you have endlers and nerites. In tank 5 you have shrimps. While in tank 3 you do not have any algae eating creatures.

I''ve always understood that three things need to be in balance - light, nutrients and CO2. It could be that in the 200 litre, something is out of balance while the other tanks are all in balance.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 02:11:40 PM »
Good point Sue, although I swapped out the assasin snails in the big tank and added 4 nerites, they keep the hard tank decor clean but arent so great cleaning the plants. So it looks like I need small algae eaters...any suggestions? I'd rather not put ottos in there.

And Steve, I knock it off the plants but some of it does stick unfortunately.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 03:54:09 PM »
There are some very small nerites available, I got some from Maidenhead Aquatics. Or, dare I say it, pond snails?

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Plaqued by brown diatoms. Advice please."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post July 05, 2014, 04:47:20 PM
by Fiona
5 Replies
Last post October 10, 2014, 05:18:20 PM
by steven
6 Replies
Last post January 03, 2015, 08:10:57 PM
by bferg4
1 Replies
Last post January 12, 2015, 07:39:07 AM
by Richard W
27 Replies
Last post April 28, 2016, 08:05:08 AM
by mazzamoo
10 Replies
Last post October 15, 2016, 08:17:53 PM
by Matt
7 Replies
Last post July 14, 2017, 08:34:03 PM
by Paddy60

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: