Author Topic: Phew. I think it's working!  (Read 3251 times) 3 replies

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Phew. I think it's working!
« on: April 02, 2015, 12:31:30 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Started cycling the "new" tank on

27th March adding 3ppm ammonia(tested using liquid test)

29th March Ammonia 3ppm, nitrite 2.0

31st March Ammonia .25, nitrite 5.0

1st April Ammonia 0, nitrite between 1 and 5ppm

2nd April Ammonia 0, nitrite more than  1ppm, less than 5.   Added 1/3 dose of ammonia

I started this tank off with a large piece of seeded sponge and an extra cartridge from my Nano tank.
It's obviously speeded up the process of this new tank but made no noticeable difference to the Nano tank which still reads zero ammonia despite the fact that it is temporarily overstocked.
These were extra bits of filter material that I had squeezed in. 

I don't know why I did it because I had already had the big "NO" regarding another tank.  I must have thought I could talk him round!! haha.

I am much more relaxed this time, even though I am anxious to get the tank finished so these poor fish can stretch their "legs".

I am preparing as much as I can in advance so that on the day it's a straight swap.
Won't be easy and I've told the other half to take himself off somewhere so he doesn't disturb me and he's also better sort himself out a meal so I expect he'll be off to Wetherspoons that day!!

I'm hoping that at this speed, providing nothing goes drastically wrong, then I may be able to do the swap by the middle of next week.
Fingers cross.
They won't in any case, be going in unless it's perfect all round. They seem happy enough. There's a bit of flaring going on but I don't know whether that's because there may be females in there. Difficult to tell them apart.

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Phew. I think it's working!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 10:03:07 AM »
Happy Easter everyone.

Quick question before I go out.

Cycling going really well in the 54 litre and I'm sure my thinking is correct but just need somebody to confirm it for me.

I know that the bacteria isn't in the water column much so......

Rather than fill the 54 litre to the top to cycle it, and then dispose of that water, I have the Fluvel 4 laid on its back (which is acceptable according to their site) and completely covered with the water.
I have I suppose around 27 litres + in the tank.  I have also added plastic plants, a little bit of gravel and my home made Christmas fern Tree and log.

I shall be siphoning all of this water out, hopefully this week, aquascaping the tank and putting in the bulk of the water from the NANO tank where the fish currently are.

I have cycled to 3ppm in the new tank and I am on my third day of Zero ammonia and today no nitrite.

Now for the silly question.

Once the new tank is in place, with the addition of the used Nano water, all the ornaments and plants I already have cycled and the most of the substrate I already have and I tghen top to the correct volume with fresh conditioned (Seachem Prime this time) please tell me that I will still have 3 ppm because it's the filter I've cycled not the water.

I know, I know. IT's a daft question. I'm sure I know the answer and my thinking is correct. I just need the confidence of somebody else to tell me I'm not about to muck THIS tank up like I did the last.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 08:43:14 PM »
I'm afraid it doesn't work like that.
1 litre of water weighs 1000 g or in other words 1 million mg. 3mg ammonia in 1 million mg water is a concentration of 3ppm which is another way of saying that 3mg ammonia in 1 litre of water gives 3ppm
If your tank holds 100 litres, that is 300mg ammonia for 3ppm. If you half fill it to 50 litres, you'll have 150mg ammonia for 3ppm and grow enough bacteria to eat 150mg in 24 hours. When you fill the tank up to 100 litres, you'll still only have enough bacteria to eat 150mg ammonia in 24 hours, but that 150 mg is now in 100 litres, and so the concentration becomes 1.5ppm.
Double the volume and the concentration halves.

But don't panic yet.

Are you planning on moving all the fish into the bigger tank, and also moving all the decor and filter media? If you are, the bacteria you already have in the nano's media will make up what you need. If you move only half the media from the small tank you will have enough bacteria.
And it is quite possible that the fish you have will only make 1.5ppm ammonia per 24 hours. Even a fully stocked tank won't make quite 3ppm, that figure is chosen to be more than enough for a fully stocked tank.

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 09:11:16 PM »
Thanks Sue.
Yes I will be moving all the decorations, the gravel, plants etc.
The Fluvel 4 will be fully cycled to 1.5ppm now (if I've worked that out right) plus I shall be adding the small filter which is also working in the quarantine tank.

I am going to be checking the tank at least once a day initially and have agreed with the other half on frequent water changes until it stabilises (if it needs to).  He just wants to see the fish in the bigger tank.
He is actually enjoying watching them.  They are in our eyeline as we sit on the sofa and I often see him watching them.. The little salt and pepper catfish are really fascinating him.

Although part of me was saying it must be alright now that the ammonia is going I must have had a little niggle in the back on my mind nudging me to ask the question.
I have a few more days yet before I tackle it all so every little helps.

Thanks for the reply, especially on Easter Sunday.
Much appreciated
I lost my password yesterday and couldn't get back in as the link emailed to me didn't work. I did a bit of fiddling around with it and finally managed so I'm glad I'm back among the knowledgeable !!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Phew. I think it's working!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post March 07, 2014, 12:40:29 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post February 05, 2014, 02:22:47 PM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post December 05, 2014, 02:48:25 PM
by Aquamaid
12 Replies
Last post June 18, 2017, 09:49:11 PM
by glitch74
10 Replies
Last post June 09, 2017, 06:08:38 PM
by Colin H
8 Replies
Last post February 21, 2018, 08:07:13 PM
by Littlefish
16 Replies
Last post August 11, 2019, 12:39:23 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: